University of the Incarnate Word (UIWSOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How much time is given to answer each of the prompts in the MMIs?

Members don't see this ad.

You get 2 minutes to read the prompt/scenario and 8 minutes to answer.

Hey Everyone, for those of you who are accepted join the FB group!! Don't be shy, we don't bite! :p

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
So from my haphazard skimming the first group interviewed on 9/9 and 9/10 and found out on 10/4 and 10/5, correct? So it seems like they may be fully utilizing or even stretching the "3 weeks" estimate?

Hey guys I was put on hold back in August and received an II yesterday so don't give up hope!! I will be withdrawing my II so hope it goes to someone else waiting!

Anyone Interviewing 12/10?

So from my haphazard skimming the first group interviewed on 9/9 and 9/10 and found out on 10/4 and 10/5, correct? So it seems like they may be fully utilizing or even stretching the "3 weeks" estimate?
There is a chance we might hear back this week. They have another round of interviews this Friday and Saturday. So, it would make sense.

Reactions: 1 user
Or early next week! they might be really busy trying to set up for interviews this friday/saturday. i guess we'll just have to see.. :(

I think it's still too soon to get an II. I didn't get an II until 5 weeks later. Hang in there!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Where did everyone stay for their ii? Im trying to find a cheaper one as close to the school as possible

Members don't see this ad :)
I stayed at Fairfield on Goliad Road. 5 mins away from UIWSOM. But $137/night :-(

Where did everyone stay for their ii? Im trying to find a cheaper one as close to the school as possible

I stayed at the Super 8. I think I got it for like $65. (723 Hot Wells Blvd, San Antonio, TX 78223)
It was about a 7 min drive depending on how you hit a few lights. I liked it well enough. It had Texas shaped waffles which always makes me happy before an interview. :happy:

Comfort suits 4 mi from campus on SE Military. It was a $5 uber to the school and the place was very nice for like 85/night.

How many minutes are you away from the school?

Well right now, around 30. The medical campus is located south east side, and I stayed living near UTSA after graduating which is north west.

how many stations were there? and did they have religious questions?

9 stations, one was rest station where you could chill and chat with the people running the MMI. No faith based questions. All the interviewers were super chill, I didn't have a single bad experience. Some of the questions run short, dont be afraid to ask a question to stimulate dialogue to use up the remaining time. They are very willing to talk about the school and the mission.

9 stations, one was rest station where you could chill and chat with the people running the MMI. No faith based questions. All the interviewers were super chill, I didn't have a single bad experience. Some of the questions run short, dont be afraid to ask a question to stimulate dialogue to use up the remaining time. They are very willing to talk about the school and the mission.
Awesome thanks!

What has been everyone's impression of the school? Does everything seem organized? What did they say about rotation sites? I have an interview coming up next month.

What has been everyone's impression of the school? Does everything seem organized? What did they say about rotation sites? I have an interview coming up next month.

I really enjoyed my interview day. They really know how to sell the inaugural class. They give a broad overview of what their curriculum will require. They start off by introducing the Dean who successfully led PNWU through their accreditation process. They emphasize the uniqueness of their curriculum and your ability as the inaugural class to help shape the direction of the curriculum and culture of the school. They emphasize their desire to incorporate community involvement and social accountability - it will be part of your weekly schedule. They are specifically looking for students who show impressive service and community involvement. Many of the faculty left other prominent positions to join the Dean and her vision for this new school.

If I wasn't already accepted at a fully accredited school, I would seriously consider attending (if accepted).

As for rotation sites, they're still working on that but they do already have some partners worked out. I'm not from this area at all so I don't recognize any of the places.

I agree with musicmed. I liked the emphasis on service and the ability to influence the development of the program as the inaugural class. As for curriculum they were long on adjectives and short on specifics. They mentioned the EMT program, block/systems hybridization, pbl/tbl components, but they didn't actually lay out the curriculum. I still don't know how they'd teach first year and what balances there'd be in those different teaching styles (see like 1 page back where 2-3 people who interviewed came back with completely different interpretations of the curriculum). As for clerkship they have a partner with a really big tertiary facility and a VA facility (from what I can remember) and are working on more. The spread of those sites and how students will be chosen/assigned was left up in the air. One thing I liked is that they're setting up residency positions in SA. As far as the massive growth of DO schools goes this is definitely needed and not something all the newer schools are doing (definitely fits their 'social responsibility' bit). The last bit of ambiguity on interview day was finances. They did not list a price (though it is easily googleable) and they did not mention loans/etc. I assume as a new division of an existing school students would be eligible for federal loans, but that would need to be addressed.

I really liked the facilities and the staff (super nice). I like the location and the ties to programs in the area. I did not like how empty interview day was of usable information, even when the interviewees got to ask more 'tough' questions the go to answer seemed to be "we are still working on it". I get that to a point, opening a new school must be incredibly involved, but some or most of these should have been battened down before interviews (or they should have told us more into what they're doing to work on them now instead of "workin' on it").

I really enjoyed my interview day. They really know how to sell the inaugural class. They give a broad overview of what their curriculum will require. They start off by introducing the Dean who successfully led PNWU through their accreditation process. They emphasize the uniqueness of their curriculum and your ability as the inaugural class to help shape the direction of the curriculum and culture of the school. They emphasize their desire to incorporate community involvement and social accountability - it will be part of your weekly schedule. They are specifically looking for students who show impressive service and community involvement. Many of the faculty left other prominent positions to join the Dean and her vision for this new school.

If I wasn't already accepted at a fully accredited school, I would seriously consider attending (if accepted).

As for rotation sites, they're still working on that but they do already have some partners worked out. I'm not from this area at all so I don't recognize any of the places.

I agree with musicmed. I liked the emphasis on service and the ability to influence the development of the program as the inaugural class. As for curriculum they were long on adjectives and short on specifics. They mentioned the EMT program, block/systems hybridization, pbl/tbl components, but they didn't actually lay out the curriculum. I still don't know how they'd teach first year and what balances there'd be in those different teaching styles (see like 1 page back where 2-3 people who interviewed came back with completely different interpretations of the curriculum). As for clerkship they have a partner with a really big tertiary facility and a VA facility (from what I can remember) and are working on more. The spread of those sites and how students will be chosen/assigned was left up in the air. One thing I liked is that they're setting up residency positions in SA. As far as the massive growth of DO schools goes this is definitely needed and not something all the newer schools are doing (definitely fits their 'social responsibility' bit). The last bit of ambiguity on interview day was finances. They did not list a price (though it is easily googleable) and they did not mention loans/etc. I assume as a new division of an existing school students would be eligible for federal loans, but that would need to be addressed.

I really liked the facilities and the staff (super nice). I like the location and the ties to programs in the area. I did not like how empty interview day was of usable information, even when the interviewees got to ask more 'tough' questions the go to answer seemed to be "we are still working on it". I get that to a point, opening a new school must be incredibly involved, but some or most of these should have been battened down before interviews (or they should have told us more into what they're doing to work on them now instead of "workin' on it").

I guess we were in different groups. My group asked about finances. Tuition is $53,000/yr and federal finaid is available. No school housing but plenty of options in the area at Brooks City Base.

II just received.... it's my first one, so extremely excited and relieved!!!!!

Reactions: 5 users
When were y'all complete that got an interview on 12/10 and 12/09

Withdrew my application, with an II scheduled for Dec. 10th. Good luck everyone!

Does anybody know how many people have been admitted or how many people have joined the Facebook page?

Does anybody know how many people have been admitted or how many people have joined the Facebook page?

It looks like 8 ppl have joined the FB group so far. Not sure about how many people have been accepted though.. The October intervieews hear back this week.

Reactions: 3 users
How long did it take you guys to receive a secondary?

It looks like 8 ppl have joined the FB group so far. Not sure about how many people have been accepted though.. The October intervieews hear back this week.
I was in the October group. I doubt we will hear this week. The group that interviewed on September 10th started to hear back on Oct 4th. If that trend continues we will hear back next week.

II 12/10 !:) completed ~ 5 weeks ago

I was in the October group. I doubt we will hear this week. The group that interviewed on September 10th started to hear back on Oct 4th. If that trend continues we will hear back next week.

It's crazy that some schools can get back to you in 5-6 days with an interview group of 20 and other take 4-5 weeks with the same or slightly larger groups. UNE said 4 weeks would be the earliest and our interview group was like 12 people.... -_-