University of the Pacific - 2013 applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks for the information.

It was nice meeting some of you at the interview today. (I was the only one not wearing a blazer/suit, in blue >.>)

Did I miss the memo or something? Everyone was in black

I agree, lol, everyone was in black!

Members don't see this ad.

Yay! I will see you in the fall! I agree with you as well that UOP I s better than hilo. They have a large alumni base and have connection to many hospitals around the areas. I asked the residency program director and other clinical pharmacists and they feel they have had good residents from UOP. A lot of the pharmacists I work with are uop alumni
Yea I've heard about the alumni too. Judging from your earlier post, sounds like you'll be staying off campus?? I really want to live on campus but I think one of the students said housing was like $1,000 which included your own room but a common area shared with 4 other students!

Yea I've heard about the alumni too. Judging from your earlier post, sounds like you'll be staying off campus?? I really want to live on campus but I think one of the students said housing was like $1,000 which included your own room but a common area shared with 4 other students!

Yeah, I am living off campus not for the main reason of lower cost but my hubby will be relocating his job and will be moving with me so we'll need our own place.

The resident at my work, she graduated this past May and mentioned she stayed on-campus and thought it was convenient and had a good experience. She recommended Brookside Hall. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
For those of you who were accepted, or if you had an interview and want to share. How was the interview? Any pointers? I read the feedback many times but they seem a little out of date although still very helpful. I was interested in some fresh perspectives. Thanks Guys :)

For those of you who were accepted, or if you had an interview and want to share. How was the interview? Any pointers? I read the feedback many times but they seem a little out of date although still very helpful. I was interested in some fresh perspectives. Thanks Guys :)

Just had an interview yesterday and it was pretty relaxed. They split the interviewers so first you spend 20 min with the student then 20 min with the faculty member (or vice versa). My student interviewer asked a few difficult follow-up questions to the "describe a crisis" question but overall I didn't feel pressured. My faculty interviewer talked about 90% of the time. Who knows how I did, but it felt like a piece of cake. I studied the interview feedback to prep and it was more than adequate. I was asked "tell me about yourself" in my both my interviews (UOP and UCSD). Did not have situational questions but they could be a possibility at UOP.

Just had an interview yesterday and it was pretty relaxed. They split the interviewers so first you spend 20 min with the student then 20 min with the faculty member (or vice versa). My student interviewer asked a few difficult follow-up questions to the "describe a crisis" question but overall I didn't feel pressured. My faculty interviewer talked about 90% of the time. Who knows how I did, but it felt like a piece of cake. I studied the interview feedback to prep and it was more than adequate. I was asked "tell me about yourself" in my both my interviews (UOP and UCSD). Did not have situational questions but they could be a possibility at UOP.

Thank you for answering! It sounds like your interview went well, congratulations!!! :) Hmm tough follow up questions eh?!

OH WOW! 90% of the time.. :naughty:
So, how was the essay question? How much time are they allotting this year?

They split us into 3 groups. I was in #2. The first hour, we spent time in a room where a P2 gave us a presentation about the school and tour. The next hour was interviews. I started with the professor for 20, then the P2 interviewer for another 20. They definitely try to make you feel relaxed. I didn't feel like I was being grilled at all. But the student did ask more difficult questions. Finally it was the written portion, 1hour, but most people didn't need that much time.

Yeah, I am living off campus not for the main reason of lower cost but my hubby will be relocating his job and will be moving with me so we'll need our own place.

The resident at my work, she graduated this past May and mentioned she stayed on-campus and thought it was convenient and had a good experience. She recommended Brookside Hall. :)

Just wondering about the residence costs... when they state ~$10,000 - 16,000 for the year at Brookside hall, do they only mean just the winter and spring semesters? Or literally year-round for 12 months? (Since the PharmD program is year round)

I AM SOO excited i got an interview to UOP!! i did not think i would get interviews for a CA school so i only applied to one! I submitted the supplemental the day it was due and i am very grateful i made it in tier 3! I have low stats but an abundance of experience/leadership roles, thank goodness for that!

My interview is Jan 25th, any one else interviewing that day?

I'm in the exact same boat as you. I have low stats, but a lot of extracurricular activities. I'm interviewing on Jan 25th too!

I'm from the 1/11 interview and was sent a hold email :(. Does anyone know if UOP has sent out waitlist emails? Or is everyone who was not accepted put on hold at the moment until after the interview cycle?

I'm from the 1/11 interview and was sent a hold email :(. Does anyone know if UOP has sent out waitlist emails? Or is everyone who was not accepted put on hold at the moment until after the interview cycle?

From my understanding, if it's the same as last year, everyone is put on hold.

Members don't see this ad :)
I also received an acceptance email - interviewed 1/18/13

I got accepted!

CONGRATS on your acceptance! May i please ask you, how was the overall process, and what was your essay like? do you remember if the question was really specific to the field of pharmacy or something more in depth? I would really appreciate it if you could please help with the essay section,

Thank you so much for your help in advance!

Or does anyone else on her could kindly please help with this section? I am terrified of this part of the interview.

CONGRATS on your acceptance! May i please ask you, how was the overall process, and what was your essay like? do you remember if the question was really specific to the field of pharmacy or something more in depth? I would really appreciate it if you could please help with the essay section,

Thank you so much for your help in advance!

Or does anyone else on her could kindly please help with this section? I am terrified of this part of the interview.

The overall process was fairly smooth. I've never been to a "group" type interview before.

The essay required some thinking, but it wasn't anything too difficult. Basically asks for your opinion on a topic (not pertaining to pharmacy) and back it up.

They aren't worried about the content of the essay. They want to see if you can logically explain your reasoning behind something, and to check for grammar.

Let me know if you want to know anything else.

Hey I was put on hold to and I had my interview on 1/11 :( what is this hold thing suppose to mean???

Good luck on the interviews today everyone. See you there!! :)

I interviewed on 1/25 and I was really nervous at first but everyone was so friendly that I had a lot of fun :)

hello everyone! congrats to everyone who got accepted! for those accepted...have you guys start looking into off campus housing yet? ... i'm looking for future roommates

Hey for those who are already accepted was the notification time about two weeks? Did some hear back quicker? or later? Ahh.. So anxious.

Also does anyone actually know how they score us? I saw them entering things in like a little iPad thing.

Hey for those who are already accepted was the notification time about two weeks? Did some hear back quicker? or later? Ahh.. So anxious.

Also does anyone actually know how they score us? I saw them entering things in like a little iPad thing.
They're supposed to reply within two weeks. As for the scoring, I don't know how they do that. Just relax, I'm sure you did great.. :)

They're supposed to reply within two weeks. As for the scoring, I don't know how they do that. Just relax, I'm sure you did great.. :)

Thank you! I think it went okay. But who knows. I think these things are 50:50. By that I mean, even if you think you interviewed well it is based on their perception. meh.

All I can do is wait.

But the Ipad thing I saw was interesting. Did any other interviewees see this during their day?

I heard 5 days after the interview, so I don't think you need to wait two whole weeks.

Thank you! I think it went okay. But who knows. I think these things are 50:50. By that I mean, even if you think you interviewed well it is based on their perception. meh.

All I can do is wait.

But the Ipad thing I saw was interesting. Did any other interviewees see this during their day?

my student interviewer didn't have an ipad but just a print out of my resume/activities and just wrote a couple notes on it

as for my faculty interviewer she had my file but didn't take any notes

Also: Is anyone here applying for the dual program?

I'm applying for the Ph.D portion as well.

All I can do is wait.

My student interviewer did not have an ipad. He had my resume and used that to ask questions. Goodluck, I am sure you did fine!:)

Just got acceptance email today. overall process very chill. it was a little less conversation with studdent interviewer. she asked, i answered, and she would write the entire time but she was very nice and when it came to questions she answered very enthusiastically. Faculty one was fun. jus remember if they ask you a question that puts you under pressure, remember to stay calm. essay question was not health related. people at UOP are SOOOOOO nice. the dean was so funny. Lupe Mazuke, the lady who scheduled most of our interviews was also super nice and funny.

I interviewed on 1/25 too and I didn't get an email does that mean I'm going to be put on hold? :\

I'm going to speak from experience since this was my 2nd time applying. Yes you are probably put on hold, well at least, if you don't get anything by tomorrow.

How long did the interview take roughly?

About 40-50 minutes. ~20 minutes with the student interviewer and ~20 minutes with the faculty member.

Thanks for the quick answer but I really meant to ask how long the interview day was? My interview is this Friday at 1230p and I'm wondering when I should book the ticket for the return trip. Thanks.

Thanks for the quick answer but I really meant to ask how long the interview day was? My interview is this Friday at 1230p and I'm wondering when I should book the ticket for the return trip. Thanks.

Hey jluna, where are coming from? Are you flying in, driving? I flew into Sacramento airport, and the interview day for me ended roughly a 4/4:15. I stayed after until about 4:30pm and drove to Sacramento for my 6:30 flight. I did hit traffic as anticipated and got there about 5:15 and had perfect timing for checking in bags and boarding my flight.

Hey jluna, where are coming from? Are you flying in, driving? I flew into Sacramento airport, and the interview day for me ended roughly a 4/4:15. I stayed after until about 4:30pm and drove to Sacramento for my 6:30 flight. I did hit traffic as anticipated and got there about 5:15 and had perfect timing for checking in bags and boarding my flight.

I'm coming from the east bay so I'm taking amtrak. There's a westbound train leaving at 530 ish so I was wondering if I'd have ample time to make it. I didn't want to rush. The next train would come around 8.

Thanks for your help!

I'm coming from the east bay so I'm taking amtrak. There's a westbound train leaving at 530 ish so I was wondering if I'd have ample time to make it. I didn't want to rush. The next train would come around 8.

Thanks for your help!

How far away is the amtrak station from UOP?

I actually didn't end up leaving till about 4:30pm. You spend about an hour learning/touring the school, and another hour for the writing section. In addition to that, there's a 30 min welcome speech from the Dean.

How far away is the amtrak station from UOP?

It's a 10 min drive but there seems to be a bus that could take be back and forth. In the worst case scenario I could get a cab.

It's a 10 min drive but there seems to be a bus that could take be back and forth. In the worst case scenario I could get a cab.

if you leave by 430, plus traffic, you should make it to your 530 trip. :)

Did anyone hear back from the February 1st interview yet?!