University of Toronto Pharmacy c/o 2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How much spare time do you have while in school? For example, 5 courses first year undergrad. I had good grades and fairly a lot of spare time. I know you have to take a lot of courses and not the typical 5 in pharm. So I was wondering how busy are you? And how much time to have good grades. Also, is it still important to have good grades?? Now that you are already in the program.

Asking because I may need to work part time.

you have decent amount of free time if you dont get involved with clubs and dont feel a need to get 90% in all classes and also dont commute. commute is death

Members don't see this ad.

this is a repost from my older posts and i was wondering if you have any input on my chances?

VA: 94
Bio: 99
RC: 97
QA: 98
Chem: 98
comp: 99

BUT my gpa is around 3.4 ish and there were 3 semesters out of 6 where im taking 4 courses instead of the full course load of 5 (once i finish my 3 years of undergrad at u of t)
i have pretty low scores in my first year though. (one 60 in orgo and the rest low to high 70s, some 82's)
do you guys have any more tips for the interview? i dont want that to be the thing (along with my low gpa) from keeping me from getting in to pharm :(

I had similar stat with you. My GPA is a bit lower (but i think it got a boost when it converted to % according to U of T's scale). but believe it or not my PCAT was actually better :D but i dont think it matters above a certain cut off. you just need to do well on the interview. PCAT score can compensate for any low marks in specific classes (one of my pre-req class was like a C+),

Hi guys, I've applied for this fall and I'm discouraged about my GPA. Wondering if my chances of admission are any good. I'm in my fourth year in the honours chemistry program at McGill.

cGPA: 3.27
PCAT:
VA: 74
Bio: 95
RC: 53
QA: 82
Chem: 99
Composite: 95
Writing: 4.0

Thanks guys. I chose the wrong major for undergrad and it really killed my grades.

I got in with only slightly better GPA but my PCAT scores were all over 95. but i dont think pcat weights that much. you gotta do well on the interview though.

Members don't see this ad :)
you have decent amount of free time if you dont get involved with clubs and dont feel a need to get 90% in all classes and also dont commute. commute is death
How much is the rent downtown? From Kijiji, the prices look so bad

Commute for me is 3-4 hours a day :D Used to it at this point. It kinda kills the wallet, TTC, GO transit especially. But I study for 70% of the time I'm commuting.

Is it worth spending extra time to achieve 85+? Or should I work part time? Hmm Got plenty of time to worry about that lol

Pretty bad, I have friends living DT anywhere from 500 - 1000 /month.

I was there for a semester for $750/month. Split with bae.(not really tho :/, bae made me pay ) lol

I had similar stat with you. My GPA is a bit lower (but i think it got a boost when it converted to % according to U of T's scale). but believe it or not my PCAT was actually better :D but i dont think it matters above a certain cut off. you just need to do well on the interview. PCAT score can compensate for any low marks in specific classes (one of my pre-req class was like a C+),
wow congrats on killing the PCAT. its nice to know that i have a chance even though many applicants probably have a 3.7+ gpa. Its always hard to have a low gpa at u of t since 85% is already considered a 4.0 (im in u of t undergrad!) hopefully you are right and they do boost it :)

The cost of living DT is pretty high. Depending on where you rent you will likely be paying anywhere from 800-1200 (thats if you're splitting a 2 bedroom). If you want to live on your own you're looking at least 1,400 unless you get a place pretty far from the pharmacy building.

Does anyone know when we first here back from UofT for Interviews?
And same with Waterloo?
And UBC?

Thnx in advance!

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know when we first here back from UofT for Interviews?
And same with Waterloo?
And UBC?

Thnx in advance!

Uoft interview decisions should be out early to mid March and Waterloo is April 7th. Not sure about UBC

Hope I'm not to late to join the party. I applied last year and was rejected (61 PCAT).

My cGPA: 3.11 (75%).
I improved my PCAT to 90 composite (99 Chem | 92 Bio | 95 Quan | 38 Verbal | 32 Reading).

I know I'm going to get an interview. I just want to know that if I do good in my interview, would it balance the low GPA? Also, I was worried about my low verbal & RC scores?

Thanks.

Hope I'm not to late to join the party. I applied last year and was rejected (61 PCAT).

My cGPA: 3.11 (75%).
I improved my PCAT to 90 composite (99 Chem | 92 Bio | 95 Quan | 38 Verbal | 32 Reading).

I know I'm going to get an interview. I just want to know that if I do good in my interview, would it balance the low GPA? Also, I was worried about my low verbal & RC scores?

Thanks.
wait how are you so confident you are getting an interview? not to put you down or anything i dont want it to come off that way. I just want to know because i have higher stats than you and i would be a nice piece of mind if i could also feel confident about getting an interview (99 comp, 3.4 gpa)

i know its not impossible to get in with a low gpa as long as you show that you are a really strong, confident interviewee.

Members don't see this ad :)
wait how are you so confident you are getting an interview? not to put you down or anything i dont want it to come off that way. I just want to know because i have higher stats than you and i would be a nice piece of mind if i could also feel confident about getting an interview (99 comp, 3.4 gpa)

i know its not impossible to get in with a low gpa as long as you show that you are a really strong, confident interviewee.

i think as long as you make the minimum PCAT and GPA requirements you get an interview and from there they start to take into consideration the rank of your PCAT/GPA/interview compared to everyone else. at least that's how i've understood it from other people's comments.

Hi guys, this is my first year applying (currently in 2nd year) and I was hoping to get some input on my stats!
cGPA = ~81%
PCAT:
VA 78
BIO 74
RC 84
QA 82
CHEM 81
COMP 85
Writing 4.0

Also, I'm wondering how much living costs are on average? And if anyone has lived on rez at U of T (the graduate house), would you recommend it or somewhere off campus?
Thanks a lot!

Just wondering about my chances:

First time applicant.
uOttawa Biomed finishing 4th year.
8.5 cGPA, nothing below a B+. In 2nd year I took 4 courses 2nd semester but took one over the summer to compensate.
PCAT
82 Verbal
95 Bio
89 RC
93 QA
98 Chem
97 Composite
3.5 writing

Also, somewhat a personal view, I usually interview quite well. Like I get nervous about everything else in life by not interviews, sort of funny how that works.

With the announcement of free tuition starting in 2017 for university students from low-income families, does anyone know if this applies to pharmacy school as well as undergrad? I know they said it applies to graduate programs but I want to know if it applies to pharmacy school as well lol

Hey everyone, 1T8 here. Just wanted to share my results from when I got accepted to help you guys out.

cGPA: 3.55 or 82.2%

PCAT (November 2013):
VA 87
BIO 97
RC 86
QA 78
CHEM 98
COMP 96
Writing 4

Please feel free to ask me any questions you want. Whether it's tips, advice, opinions, etc. I'm more than happy to help. Good luck to all! :)

With the announcement of free tuition starting in 2017 for university students from low-income families, does anyone know if this applies to pharmacy school as well as undergrad? I know they said it applies to graduate programs but I want to know if it applies to pharmacy school as well lol
I actually was wondering this too. My family income in 2015 was like 35k ish. So I'll be pretty happy if this turns out!

Also does it start in september 2017? or January 2017(waterloo starts then)

Hey everyone, 1T8 here. Just wanted to share my results from when I got accepted to help you guys out.

cGPA: 3.55 or 82.2%

PCAT (November 2013):
VA 87
BIO 97
RC 86
QA 78
CHEM 98
COMP 96
Writing 4

Please feel free to ask me any questions you want. Whether it's tips, advice, opinions, etc. I'm more than happy to help. Good luck to all! :)

How did you prepare for the interview? Any advice would be helpful! Thanks!

How did you prepare for the interview? Any advice would be helpful! Thanks!

For the interview I mostly read up as much as I could on the profession of pharmacy. I wanted to get a good understanding of where the profession stands now, where it is heading in the future, what challenges pharmacists are facing, what unrealized opportunities there are out there for them, how the Canadian healthcare system works today and where is it heading, and so on, and so on. Then I read through lots and lots of MMI sample scenarios (mostly from Canadian medical schools from what I recall) and some medical ethics texts that I found online with some basic Google searches and torrents to give myself an idea of what I could expect to see. I also made sure to talk through as many scenarios as possible with some friends in a group discussion/debate so that I could hear alternative or differing viewpoints and 'broaden my horizons' so to speak. Doing that was extremely beneficial, at least for me and I cannot recommend that more as an invaluable exercise. Of course, you can't be 100% prepared and you are inevitably forced to think on your feet and react appropriately to the unexpected, and that's just a part of the process that we all have to come to terms with. Also, learn what your weaknesses are in interviews and work on them. For example, if you struggle to synthesize clear and organized responses under pressure and time constraints because you get really nervous or just talk without knowing what you're going to say next, practice under those same conditions with a friend. Simulating an interview environment with a timer and a friend, as painful or awkward as it may sound, can really help people get used to the test environment they will encounter at the MMI. Hopefully this helps!

Reactions: 1 users
I actually was wondering this too. My family income in 2015 was like 35k ish. So I'll be pretty happy if this turns out!

Also does it start in september 2017? or January 2017(waterloo starts then)

I'm just concerned because it would be the same idea as law and medical school (i.e. it's a professional school) and I can't see them making law and medical school tuition free lol but fingers crossed

I'm just concerned because it would be the same idea as law and medical school (i.e. it's a professional school) and I can't see them making law and medical school tuition free lol but fingers crossed
What about like a MBA that costs almost 50k year, insanely expensive. I have my doubts as well. My undergrad could have been free if they put this in sooner lol!

For those of you who have been through the interview process more than once, how similar were the questions from year to year?
I am impatiently waiting for the interview notices... Less than 2 weeks! :nailbiting:

Do any previously admitted students have any advice for the interviews? This is my third time applying to U of T, and I've been interviewed in my previous two attempts. I've heard that more or less everyone making a minimum grade threshold is interviewed in the application process, so my wrongdoing may not have been in fact due to interview performance, but at the same time, it might very well have been due to it. I know there is no "right" answer in these psychological questions, but surely there are better things to say when responding. General thoughts?

Hi!

Does anyone have any insight on taking reduced course loads? Specifically, I am currently in second year and debating dropping a chem (non-prereq) course that I'm doing poorly in (60s). However, dropping this course will mean that I'll have only 4.5 courses in both years of undergrad. I emailed the admissions office, and they said that having a reduced course load will flag my application. I don't know what's worse though, having a really bad grade in this course, or taking a reduced course load. Right now my average is around 80% and I got 92 on the PCAT. Thanks for your help!

Hi!

Does anyone have any insight on taking reduced course loads? Specifically, I am currently in second year and debating dropping a chem (non-prereq) course that I'm doing poorly in (60s). However, dropping this course will mean that I'll have only 4.5 courses in both years of undergrad. I emailed the admissions office, and they said that having a reduced course load will flag my application. I don't know what's worse though, having a really bad grade in this course, or taking a reduced course load. Right now my average is around 80% and I got 92 on the PCAT. Thanks for your help!
I have a reduced course load (4.5) for both of my first 2 years of undergrad :( simply because in each of those semesters where i took one less course i was trying to focus on doing well on a notoriously hard course or trying to improve my gpa. But either way they will flag you for that 60s and if you have a reduced course load and its just a matter or which one is more severe i think..and theres no way to know that

Do any previously admitted students have any advice for the interviews? This is my third time applying to U of T, and I've been interviewed in my previous two attempts. I've heard that more or less everyone making a minimum grade threshold is interviewed in the application process, so my wrongdoing may not have been in fact due to interview performance, but at the same time, it might very well have been due to it. I know there is no "right" answer in these psychological questions, but surely there are better things to say when responding. General thoughts?
Hello, 1t9 here. How did you feel after your interviews at U of T in the past? I've never been much of an extrovert, but I've developed a level of comfort speaking to strangers through previous jobs, etc. No matter how nervous you are, smile and you will come across as more natural. :) Reading up on ethics books and medical scenarios also gets you thinking about the different perspectives and stakeholders involved, which you definitely want to incorporate into your answers. In the end, there is no "right" answer, but they are looking more at your thought process and how you arrived at it. Hope this helps, and feel free to ask if anything is unclear!

Does anybody know where I can find some currently UofT pharmacy students who are willing to practice MMI with me (for the cheap price)?

gentlemen... was playing around with links on the uoft site and stumbled upon this "Minimum PCAT score requirements for 2016" : https://pharmsis.phm.utoronto.ca/uploadDir/Notice #6_PCAT Info 2016.pdf

not entirely sure the legitimacy to this but just thought i'd share this with you guys!

EDIT: and here is the link to interview decision: https://applicant.phm.utoronto.ca/index.cfm?fuseaction=WspInterviewDecisionResult.showIntDecision

It seems that they have just uploaded the documents but havent displayed the links yet.

Again, all assumptions and should be taken with just a grain of salt.

Last edited:
This is really weird...
when i log into PHARMSIS the notification doesn't pop up saying that I got an interview but when I click this link: https://applicant.phm.utoronto.ca/index.cfm?fuseaction=WspInterviewDecisionResult.showIntDecision informs me that I got an interview

anyone having the same problem?
thats my situation too. but im pretty sure its because they havent uploaded the link to the applicants page yet. but they already uploaded the results so we can access it through that link

After they changed the cut-off for PCAT score, I realized my verbal score is 23% which is a bit lower than the cut-off. And I didn't get the interview. Does it mean I need to apply again next year?

thats my situation too. but im pretty sure its because they havent uploaded the link to the applicants page yet. but they already uploaded the results so we can access it through that link
oh okay! great.. so excited to get an interview.. how are you guys all practicing for the MMI?

After they changed the cut-off for PCAT score, I realized my verbal score is 23% which is a bit lower than the cut-off. And I didn't get the interview. Does it mean I need to apply again next year?
I think it does... If you get your PCAT score up for next year you'll have a better shot :) best of luck!

Does anybody know where I can find some currently UofT pharmacy students who are willing to practice MMI with me (for the cheap price)?

Hi, i'm a current 1T9. I can bring it to the attention of the 1T9 class council to host a mock MMI for you guys if possible. Stay tuned. If it happens ill post the facebook event in this thread!

Reactions: 7 users
Hello, 1t9 here. How did you feel after your interviews at U of T in the past? I've never been much of an extrovert, but I've developed a level of comfort speaking to strangers through previous jobs, etc. No matter how nervous you are, smile and you will come across as more natural. :) Reading up on ethics books and medical scenarios also gets you thinking about the different perspectives and stakeholders involved, which you definitely want to incorporate into your answers. In the end, there is no "right" answer, but they are looking more at your thought process and how you arrived at it. Hope this helps, and feel free to ask if anything is unclear!
Thank you for the advice, much obliged.

Hi, i'm a current 1T9. I can bring it to the attention of the 1T9 class council to host a mock MMI for you guys if possible. Stay tuned. If it happens ill post the facebook event in this thread!
Thanks

gentlemen... was playing around with links on the uoft site and stumbled upon this "Minimum PCAT score requirements for 2016" : https://pharmsis.phm.utoronto.ca/uploadDir/Notice #6_PCAT Info 2016.pdf

not entirely sure the legitimacy to this but just thought i'd share this with you guys!

EDIT: and here is the link to interview decision: https://applicant.phm.utoronto.ca/index.cfm?fuseaction=WspInterviewDecisionResult.showIntDecision

It seems that they have just uploaded the documents but havent displayed the links yet.

YOOO. YOU DESERVE AN AWARD FOR THIS. :clap:

Last edited:
I was wondering aren't we suppose to be aware of the potential PCAT cut off changes before the final date of PCAT tests? Because I remember having access to that information for last year and that it allowed me to know if I need to retake my PCAT or no.
If anyone can provide any explanation it would be super helpful.

another 1T9 here! feel free to ask questions and I'll try my best to help!

Hey guys,

If there's anyone in the Toronto or Scarborough area that applied, I'm wondering if you want to get together and practice for the MMI for the interview. If any of you are interested, PM me and we can get together a meeting and mock MMI. I applied last year and didn't get in but I do have some ideas on the structure of the MMIs.

Thanks.

If any of the 1T9's could give us some guidance as to what the interview are like and give us any sample questions that are similar to the ones on the interview it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much for reaching out to us guys!

If there's anyone in Vancouver/Lower Mainland area who would want to practice together, hit me up!

Hi, I am not fluent in English, and I am wondering if anybody else has my problem and has an experience of going through that Interview. Could you please share some of your experience of how you got prepared for MMI or whether or not interviewers care about if I speak slowly with some grammar mistakes?

Is this legit?! How did you guys find out about this link to interview decision?
Cuz it says I got the interview and i didn't know they can release the link before posting notifications on the application web!! But if it isn't real...I would be really sad :(
Good luck to you all!

I was wondering aren't we suppose to be aware of the potential PCAT cut off changes before the final date of PCAT tests? Because I remember having access to that information for last year and that it allowed me to know if I need to retake my PCAT or no.

I believe we only had access to the PCAT requirements from the year before... the requirements made for the current year are only released in March - after interviews invites are given out.

The PCAT cutoffs represent what 80% of the applicant pool made. It could only be determined once all the applications have been handed in.