UNTHSC MS Med Sci Program 2013-2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just finished the Med Sci program. The faculty and staff are very receptive to students leaving for interviews. They know that the purpose of the program is to help students get into medical school. That being said, you fill out an excused absence form and depending on the course and what you are missing that day in lecture, you will either do a make quiz or test or be excused from an assignment (like you get a dash in the gradebook). You will never recurve a dash for an exam though. I hope this helps!

*recieve

Members don't see this ad.

Do most people get into med school (especially TCOM) during this program? Also, I've heard that it's possible to continue on with a master's (or switch into another master's track at UNT) rather than go on directly to med school. Is this true?

@ajellyfishpinata I submitted my app and the supporting docs the week of the deadline, and I believe my status didn't say 'complete' until 5 days after the deadline

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Do most people get into med school (especially TCOM) during this program? Also, I've heard that it's possible to continue on with a master's (or switch into another master's track at UNT) rather than go on directly to med school. Is this true?

Based on the previous threads, some have been accepted to other medical schools, including TCOM while some are waitlisted. From what I've gathered, you're not "guaranteed admission" anywhere by completing this program. You still need a killer essay, Letters of Recommendations, plenty of extracurricular activities, shadowing experience, a great MCAT score, etc. This program won't even help your gpa because I believe that graduate gpa is considered different from your undergraduate gpa *someone needs to verify this.* What it will do is show your dedication and commitment to medicine and highlight the upward trend of your gpa. Keep in mind, other programs do that as well.

Based on the UNTHSC website, you cannot switch from the 1 year SMP to the traditional 2 years master's program. Looks like I was wrong. Check out @Mx300's post.

Last edited:
Congratulations to the people who have recieved acceptances and waitlist (I guess, since you are still in the running). Would y'all mind sharing your stats? I am wondering if there is a trend and if any educated guesses can be made for criteria ofthe applicants for this application cycle. I personally have not heard anything...good...bad...or just ehhh.

In regards to switching masters degrees. I was told during the orientation and there is an option to add an additional 6 months of coursework and obtain a masters in clinical management in addition to medical science. If that's something you would like. I think it improves job prospects.

I dont mind sharing my stats, Im a waitlisted applicant. My gpa is 3.2ish and sgpa is 3.1 with the last 60 hours being 3.4. Mcat is 24q 9/9/6 B/P/V. EC's include research with publication as a second author, 200+ hours volunteering at hospitals, shadowing 50+ hours, 100+ hours volunteering non-clinical setting, and two great recommendation letters.

Does anybody know what the waitlist procedure is like? Do people on the waitlist usually make it in?

Does anybody know what the waitlist procedure is like? Do people on the waitlist usually make it in?
I called them today. Those who don't accept their admission give their spot to those waitlisted and majority that are waitlisted get in.
My application was reviewed WEEKS AGO but they never reached a decision. I'll be hearing back from them either tonight or on Monday.

Reactions: 2 users
@ajellyfishpinata

If you don't mind my asking, does your application status say: "your application has been reviewed" or does it say "your application has been received" ?

@ajellyfishpinata

If you don't mind my asking, does your application status say: "your application has been reviewed" or does it say "your application has been received" ?

Np. Mine says "Your application has been received." I didn't even know that the latter existed. Now I feel swindled.
Also, no update. I guess I'll be waiting till Monday.

Np. Mine says "Your application has been received." I didn't even know that the latter existed. Now I feel swindled.
Also, no update. I guess I'll be waiting till Monday.

Oh, I didn't mean to alarm you! I was just checking. Mine also says "received".

Here's hoping for good news on Monday!

Members don't see this ad :)
Giving up my seat. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
So, what's everyone's backup plan if they don't get into this program?

So I read somewhere that orientation day is on the 22nd. Can someone confirm this? I haven't heard from them but the 22nd is sickeningly close! Haha

I love whales yall

So I read somewhere that orientation day is on the 22nd. Can someone confirm this? I haven't heard from them but the 22nd is sickeningly close! Haha

Yep! Orientation is 21-23 of May, which is really close! I'm hoping they decide on y'all soon- waiting it the worst!

Rejected today @ 3:15 via portal status. Good luck to everyone else!

"We are unable to admit every applicant due to a limited number of seats available. Unfortunately, we are unable to offer you admission at this time."

"We are unable to admit every applicant due to a limited number of seats available. Unfortunately, we are unable to offer you admission at this time."

I got that message as well! Looks like I'll be going out of state

Just checked and I have the same reject message. Would have loved this info a month ago. :(

I am extremely sorry for any people with a rejection. I have yet to receive any response.
If you don't mind could you share your stats? I am worried and if I could prepare myself for a waitlist or denial it would relieve much stress.

also rejected today thanks for stringing me along all this time.

could've at least PRETENDED I was on the wait list!

but congrats to all those accepted!

seems like many of the rejections happened today! i got rejected as well, with my stats im not surpised.

cgpa 3.01 MCat 23

good luck to everyone else!

I got that message as well! Looks like I'll be going out of state

also rejected today thanks for stringing me along all this time.

could've at least PRETENDED I was on the wait list!

but congrats to all those accepted!

REJECTED. :(

I have no idea what to do.....Any suggestions?

Sorry to hear about all the rejections guys :( sucks they waited this long to let yall know.

As far as waitlist movement Im currently on it and haven't heard anything yet either :/

Hey guys just wanted to provide some hope entering the program. Just got accepted to TCOM and I wasn't bridge. Graduated with a 3.8 medsci gpa

Reactions: 4 users
REJECTED. :(

I have no idea what to do.....Any suggestions?

This goes for everyone that's been rejected, but: I would try to apply to another similar program (in-state if you're a Texan) asap, since most of the Fall deadlines are late May / early June.

That, or try to find a job that will make your resume stand out / something that will look good to adcoms. Or you guys could boost up those extracurrics, but I'm not sure of the financial situation for all of you. Doing unpaid extracurrics for an entire year might not be financially viable.

1) Apply to another, similar program
2) Apply for a paying job / position in heathcare
3) Boost those extracurrics
4) ???
5) Profit!

Reactions: 2 users
I met a lot of people that were scribes. Can knock out the job and healthcare experience with that.

This goes for everyone that's been rejected, but: I would try to apply to another similar program (in-state if you're a Texan) asap, since most of the Fall deadlines are late May / early June.

That, or try to find a job that will make your resume stand out / something that will look good to adcoms. Or you guys could boost up those extracurrics, but I'm not sure of the financial situation for all of you. Doing unpaid extracurrics for an entire year might not be financially viable.

1) Apply to another, similar program
2) Apply for a paying job / position in heathcare
3) Boost those extracurrics
4) ???
5) Profit!

What kind of in-state programs are available that are similar to the UNTHSC's medsci program?

What kind of in-state programs are available that are similar to the UNTHSC's medsci program?
A&M has a similar program in Biomedical Science but it's two years and I believe it's thesis based.

A&M has a similar program in Biomedical Science but it's two years and I believe it's thesis based.

Nope, it's just 36 credit hours, non-thesis. I've referenced this below.

Basically, you could do something like 9 credit hours / 15 /15 in summer / fall / spring, respectively. Or you could spread it out like 9 each semester for 4 semesters.

Off the top of my head:

Texas A&M: http://vetmed.tamu.edu/graduate/biomedical-sciences/non-thesis-option (36 credit hours)

Texas Tech: http://www.ttuhsc.edu/gsbs/mspremedsci.aspx (2 year program might be a turnoff)

University of Texas - Dallas: http://www.utdallas.edu/pre-health/post-bacc-studies (Certificate, not Master's - could be a turnoff for some folks)

UTD has a lack of requirements, which is really weird. They just need your college transcripts and their application complete. No MCAT, no LoRs, no...anything. It almost sounds not legitimate.

Anyway, I'm sure other schools in Texas have something like this too - just not as known / popular, I guess.

I personally applied to A&M (got in), UNTHSC (rejected), UT-D (rejected, no idea why). Was going to apply for the Tech program, but after thinking about it, I really don't like the 2 year duration.

Basically, you could do something like 9 credit hours / 15 /15 in summer / fall / spring, respectively. Or you could spread it out like 9 each semester for 4 semesters.

Off the top of my head:

Texas A&M: http://vetmed.tamu.edu/graduate/biomedical-sciences/non-thesis-option (36 credit hours)

Texas Tech: http://www.ttuhsc.edu/gsbs/mspremedsci.aspx (2 year program might be a turnoff)

University of Texas - Dallas: http://www.utdallas.edu/pre-health/post-bacc-studies (Certificate, not Master's - could be a turnoff for some folks)

UTD has a lack of requirements, which is really weird. They just need your college transcripts and their application complete. No MCAT, no LoRs, no...anything. It almost sounds not legitimate.

Anyway, I'm sure other schools in Texas have something like this too - just not as known / popular, I guess.

I personally applied to A&M (got in), UNTHSC (rejected), UT-D (rejected, no idea why). Was going to apply for the Tech program, but after thinking about it, I really don't like the 2 year duration.

It seems like the A&M M.S. program focuses more on Veterinary medicine. Any good feedback from the program in terms of classes and matriculation into TX med schools? It says on their website:

"The entering class for Fall 2013 includes 33 students, and of those students, 58% plan to pursue a DVM degree, 27% plan to pursue an MD or PA degree, 12% have a goal of earning a DDS degree, and 4% have other professional or research interests."

Last edited:
It seems like the A&M M.S. program focuses more on Veterinary medicine. Any good feedback from the program in terms of classes and matriculation into TX med schools? It says on their website:

"The entering class for Fall 2013 includes 33 students, and of those students, 58% plan to pursue a DVM degree, 27% plan to pursue an MD or PA degree, 12% have a goal of earning a DDS degree, and 4% have other professional or research interests."

I wouldn't be turned off just because the program is within the college of vet med. There's only 3 required courses (totaling 9 credit hours) - Physiology, Statistics and a 1-hr intro to grad ed course. If you wanted to take a grad level biochem course, you can. If you want to take a grad level health course, you can.

The program seems fairly new - inception was in '05. I can't really speak to its potency, as I'm only an applicant myself, but it fulfills a master's degree in biomedical sciences (not vet med science, or anything associated with that), and it fulfills post-bacc requirements.

I'm not sure if you'll find people in this UNT thread that can speak to A&M's program. It might need its own thread.

Off the top of my head:

Thank you so much! :D

Anybody on the waitlist heard anything?? Noticed the fb group jumped a bit in number today.

I know!! My exact thoughts! I was looking at people posting last year and it looked like some acceptances went out to waitlisted applicants a week before orientation so thatd be this wednesday...curious if thatll happen again this time around???

No word on my end. I hope they send an email instead of making me check the damn website everyday. Being on the wait list sucks!

I'm on the waitlist as well and I haven't heard anything back either! :( I'm so scared, admission into this program is getting more and more competitive each and every year!

Do they email you if you get off the waitlist? The anticipation is killing me! D:

From reading previous posts from last year they should. I don't know how much more waiting I can take!!!!!!

I just got a call from Amanda at the UNTHSC saying that I moved off the waitlist and am now accepted!

Congrats man!!! Any chance did they mention how many seats were available or anything like that??

Congrats man!!! Any chance did they mention how many seats were available or anything like that??

No mention of how many seats are available. I actually didn't pick up because it was an unknown number and I listened to the message a few minutes later haha.

I don't know all my stats off hand but I had a 26 MCAT and a 3.4 cumulative GPA

Last edited: