Updated Interview List

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I agree with Hornet. EM is not so much competitive as it is just utterly random. :confused:

And I don't know if anyone has mentioned it, but Ohio State is apparently sending invites only as snail mail, as I got mine today without ever having seen an e-mail. So watch your box for Buckeye stuff, I guess.

Members don't see this ad.

Morristown is a nice little (6 res per year) community-based program in a decent suburban setting. I rotated there in the ED as a med student last year and on medicine and surgery as well.

Pros- The program director (Richard Shih) is a tox-trained great, personable guy who is really interested in giving you a quality education. He takes a personal interest in all of his residents. In the ED, there is a reasonable workload (19 12hr shifts per month). No med/surg floors in the residency. Rotations down in Newark at University give some inner-city flavor to a few of the rotations (trauma, peds, OB).

Cons- The hospital is fairly busy, but the acuity is only moderate. A level II trauma center with almost no penetrating trauma. EM residents are by far the best residents in the hospital, with the off-service experience being fair accordingly (decent # of FMGs, etc). At least when I was there, no u/s in the ED. Lots of call (q3) off-service in the main hosp.

Originally posted by jonbonjovi

can you tell me a little about beth isreal, mainmondes, mt saini, long island jewish, lincoln? (maybe even if you know a little about NJ programs like Morristown, or rochester too) is there a reason that you didn't apply to them? i want to be more selective in choosing interviews.
[/B]

Has anybody interviewed at the following programs, or otherwise knows something about them:

Univ. of Arkansas,Little Rock
Jackson, Mississippi
Emory, Georgia

I'm looking for resident happiness, quality of training, etc..... Univ. of Arkansas would be great, as their website has been down for a while.

Thanks so much.

Members don't see this ad :)
I suppose if the last few posters wished to ask a question about Wright State's EM program, I am willing to answer.

Hey eemer,

Would love to hear more about the following NY programs:
Mt. Sinai
St. Luke's
North Shore

Thanks!

South Carolina checked in this AM

As far as the Carolinas program is concerned, the coord. told me on the phone that it would be "the end of this month or the beginning of December."

Medical College of GA sent an invite today...
(know they have done it before but just so people know they are still sending out invites)

Just joining the thread, not sure what has been mentioned before and not willing to use a checklist to see which programs have been mentioned. As a help to others, I know for a fact that the following programs have extended interviews:
New Mexico, Arizona, Maricopa, UCLA-Harbor (friend, not me :() Loma Linda, UCIrvine, UCDavis, Stanford, Oregon, Hennepin, Regions, Wisconsin, Kalamazoo, Grand Rapids, Indiana, Wright State, Ohio State, Summa (Akron), Case Western, Pittsburgh, Geisinger, West Virginia, Rochester, Syracuse, Albany, UMASS, Maine. So if any of those are new, toss them on the list.

I'm still waiting on UCLA-Harbor, Carolinas, North Carolina, and Madigan, although the only one I'll add to my list if they call is UCLA. I'm already looking at $5000. I hope this interview trail is fun.

I got my second UCLA-Harbor rejection today. I guess they were saying not only no but hell no.

Any FMGs on the board, where have you gotten interviews at?
Thanks!

I am an FMG--with low board scores---have interviews at:

St. Lukes-NY
Northshore
Columiba
Denver

How about you--where did you go to school?

Melb

Members don't see this ad :)
so here is the deal (from my very unprofessional vantage point) on NY programs- and my editorial on how they have responded to my app

NYU- still no word, they are real picky about their applicants. very cerebral place, lower trauma than the rest of NY, very into academic teaching. people are interesting, i don't know how "fun" they are

mt sinai- also no word for me. the thing about mt sinai is most of the clinical training occurs at elmhurst, which is in queens. Mt sinai itself doesn't have that great of an EM experience (surgery, medicine real strong), so that may be something to consider. don't know much else.

Jacobi- in the bronx, the oldest and most respected of the nY programs. 2-4, so prelim comes into effect. my interview is tomorrow, i heard it is a rather relaxed interview. the people are great, i have a few friends who are residents there and they are happy, although they work their asses off (at least in the PGY 2 year)

Kings County- already had the interview, definately a cool place. in the less desirable area of brooklyn (although that leads to better em, right?). the people are great, they all seem to truly enjoy hanging out with eachother. academics are picking up there, they have a lot of research on the horizon. clinically, there is probably no greater place in ny, but you need to be willing to push your own patients and draw your own labs because the ancillary services suck

north shore- 1-3, in long island, but having that caveat said, it is an extremely busy ED. can't comment on the interview, thats next week. ancillary services are great, the hospital has a lot of money and they treat their residents well.

LIJ: 2-4, they claim to have a decent amount of trauma, although i have not seen it for myself. don't really know much more about the program, they also have an EM/IM program that seems to be very well respected.

Lincoln: 2-4 you will work your ass off, and become a greater clinician than you ever thought possible, however that will come at the expense of your personal life. they work hard all 3 years and the academics are supposedly less than perfect

st. lukes: on the upper west side of manhattan, the residents are absurdly happy at this program. they get a decent amount of trauma and volume, but really no program in manhattan gets great numbers. i have heard the teaching is good and the residents come out well trained.

maimo, methodist: both in brooklyn. maimo is a new program, this will only be their second class. the ED there is extremely busy as well and they do their trauma at lutheran , another Level 1 in brooklyn. Methodist is a small program in a nice area of brooklyn (park slope), level 2, they do their trauma at kings county. residents are happy.

NYP- nothing to say, people seem to have high hopes for Dr. Carter (formerly of NYU, not the TV show) and his new program. I still have not received an interview there, but they seem to be slightly slow this year with the clerical stuff. the program structure looks very interesting, and it should be cool to see how it evolves.

that's it for NY, if i left anything out i am sorry. hope this helped some of you. any feeback

Just wondering if anyone out there has heard from UCSF-Fresno and University of Southern California. Not much west coast talk on this board...everyone seems to be either from the east or midwest. One more thing...anyone that has heard from Harbor, how long ago did you hear....still waiting on that one.

I'm with you still waiting for Harbor & USC- What does anyone think about the risk of Harbor closing in the next 3 years?

I got an invite from USC about 3 weeks ago. Still waiting on UCLA Harbor. Got the big NO from UCSD today.....

to make some of you feel better, cali don't like me
rejected from highland, harbor and olive view. waiting on USC, totally no word. as far as UCSD, they rejected my friend who is a sick candidate. i have no idea what they are smoking.

Be glad about UCSD. I got the invite from them but they sure weren't friendly and it's a real pain in the ass because you have to do the prelim year at Scripps. So you have to interview there also and they don't have dates even remotely close together so I will have to make 2 trips. I'm thinking about declining cause I doubt they'll take me anyway.

I have a friend that got Fresno. (Didn't apply there myself, I'm looking for PGY1-3.) Don't know anyone with USC however. You're not the only West Coast person around, UCI told me they had 450 apps for 6 spots, Madigan told me 290 for 4. And for a combined program with a guaranteed commute (Madigan and U of Washington are an hour apart in good traffic) I have no idea why it is so popular. I have a friend going into Derm that also got the double rejection....tough to keep us all straight I guess. Now that I think about it, that friend who got Fresno rotated out there, so I guess that interview doesn't count on our list.

On the California programs.... Got USC by snail mail yesterday. Nothing from Fresno, Drew, Kern, or Davis. Stanford (EM) a couple of weeks ago. Rejects from Highland, Oliveview, and UCSD. And in the adding insult to injury category I received my 3rd rejection from Harbor today.

Got some love, albeit later than most of you, from Christiana earlier today.

Am typing this from my hotel room in Dayton for Wright St. Never surfed the net over the TV before!! Really kind of awkward ... zoomed in on a small portion of the screen, keyboard sucks, and no mouse.

mike

Desperado wrote:

"Now that I think about it, that friend who got Fresno rotated out there, so I guess that interview doesn't count on our list."

Why not? Any interview you go to counts in my book, and from what I hear many people end up matching in programs they rotated through (even though their interviews don't count
;) ).

Just joining in after lurking for a while. Recieved an invite from the new USF program in Tampa. Did anyone else apply? Anyone out there know what the structure for the program is going to be? I've been looking for some sort of web information or someone with the inside scoop but have not seen/heard much.

I am a student at USF and I chose not to apply to the program. I did many rotations at TGH and speaking with the housestaff from different services they didn't have much respect for certain EM attendings. To the credit of the program they did fire one of those attendings, but with this info and the abscence of any senior residents I didn't feel like this was the program for me. I don't know if they have brought in other faculty.

As far as trauma, TGH sees alot. Right now surgery manages all the traumas with anesthesia responsible for the airway. I don't know how that will change with the new residency. As far as Tampa goes, it is a nice place to live and TGH is in a nice neighborhood.

I called Harbor today. They sent out confirmation emails on November 18th. Apparently my email box rejected it, or else my wife deleted it because she doesn't want to live in LA. Hmmm....At any rate, I was glad I called and encourage anyone out there who is still waiting on UCLA-Harbor (no invite and no rejection) to call. If they try to reject you three times I would suggest sending them a rejection.

With regards to interviews during externships not counting, of course they count in the grand scheme of things, but they don't count on this list that people check to see if a program they are interested in has sent out invites.

Hi All

I'm a longtime listener, first-time caller...

Just wondering if anyone has heard from either the Harvard Affiliated (MGH/BW) or Bellevue in NY. I haven't seen anyone mention them. Seems a bit late for programs to start handing out interviews....

code brown,
my impression is that mGH has invited everyone it is going to invite (which doesn't include me)
i haven't heard of anyone hearing from bellevue (though I have a feeling someone will read this and confirm that they heard).
I also heard from an EMed intern that last year he received multiple interviews AFTER thanksgiving.
I don't know what to make of that.
Doesn't seem like a program could be all that interested if they take that long...
Is it just me, or does this process kinda really suck.

I concur. It's a pretty miserable process.

But the alternative, should they succeed in striking down the match, would likely be chaos, and would probably involve each of us sitting down with lists of every program and frantically trying to call them all and double-cross each other to try and sign contracts first. Imagine how dirty the business world is, and then add to it how competitive medical students are by nature...ugh.

At least now, it's sort of centralized, and there's some semblance of authority. Even if it's a little heavy-handed authority.

Thanks for the info y'all. I'm surprised that Bellevue is being so mysterious...

I agree that the system does work pretty well though. A little worrysome when you consider how much rides on that little envelope, but all in all a fair process.

Does anyone know how many people programs ultimately rank?

Kern Medical Center sent out invitations today....

I emailed Denver and asked about my application status. I was told that I would hear very shortly, which obviously was pretty ominous. When did Denver start sending out invites? Is their schedule already full?

Also, I'll ask again... did anyone actually get a REJECTION from Indiana or just didn't hear anything? I emailed them too and got "Well, our schedule is full.... but you're not rejected.... maybe you'll be on the waitlist."

mike

Got an interview offer at USF/Tampa General (think it got mailed here last week but I just got back from a month's rotation so i just got it).

El Rejectione from Upstate NY.

From Indiana, I've simply heard nothing. No rejection, no acceptance, no wait list. Just cold silence.

Got the rejection from UNC also, and the wait list from Maine.

I don't know who that guy was who got all his interview offers after Thanksgiving, but I'm thinking I'm getting nothing but rejections and wait lists these days.

For me, Indiana gave me a waitlist about 3-4 weeks ago... haven't heard anything since...

And I really don't expect too many more invites to come in either... I think I've made it through the first and second filters, and if they dont' like me from that, they won't like me ever...

Has anyone gotten ANY communication whatsoever from any of the places you have interviewed at???

I finally heard from Indiana..... NO soup for you.

It's about time I heard something, rejection or not.

Apparently today is national rejection day. Got hosed from Denver, Indiana and Baystate since I had my coffe. Every time I check my email, another program has rejected me.
+pissed+
Fortunately I have a full interview season as it is, and overall I think it's better to know than to sit there not knowing from a bunch the places you applied to. On that note, I still have not heard from about a third of the places I applied to, is that everyone elses experience too?

Haha, I think its kinda funny how we try to come up with different ways of saying rejected...

I applied to 45 programs (all east of the Mississippi).

I have gotten my extra point kick blocked from 6 places.
Interview offers from ~19 or so, waitlist at Indiana. So I guess I am still flapping in the breeze for about half (18, just checked).

Thankfully I feel very comfortable with my standings now and will likely cancel some interview dates (and also email that I won't set up an interview date... I dont' want to leave the residencies flappin' either).

I've called all the programs that I haven't been rejected from yet. About a third, I got the dreaded voice mail. The others say," still considering/still interviewing." I think they are waiting for you all to cancell those interviews you don't want. SO GET CRACKING! There are plenty of people waiting for those spots.:)

got the heisman from uc davis today (what do you think of that one quinnsu?)

I got the high hard one from Indiana myself. All these rejections aren't too good for the ego. I'm such a looser. I hope I match!

Got an interview from Carolinas today!!!

...and waitlisted by Indiana. Can't win 'em all.

ah blackcat that one was a great one, made me actually chuckle a bit. Can't wait till I get another "Dear John" email to see what I can come up with...

I'll pose this question again, though, has anyone gotten any contact via phone/email/letter from any of the places that you guys have interviewed at? I.e. post interview notices?

Carolinas...and it's about time!

Also got Baystate today and the ole reject from Indiana. IU must be notifing everyone one way or the other this week.

Final total:

22 applications
16 offers
4 rejects
2unknowns (New Mexico and Oregon)--but I'm not waiting for either one

And I'll interview at 10-12 including
Arizona, UC-Davis, UMKC, Hennepin, Mayo, Christ (IL), Peoria, Vandy, Carolinas, Wake Forest, UVA, Commonwealth, and S. C.

quinn - i got a generic thanks for visiting, hope you are interested from jacobi/montefiore after interviewing.

I am presently in my second year of residency so I applied for the 2001 match. Being an FMG, I applied to I believe 47 programs, was wait-listed at 2, interviewed at 4, and rejected from many. As a matter of fact, I am still waiting to hear one way or another from about 6-12 programs. I guess that at this point it is safe to assume that they are not interested huh?

EMIMG, thanks for the laugh! I've applied to 23 programs, rejected from 14 so far. I called one of my top picks today, and got the harshest rejection so far. "Did you check your e-mail today? Well, if it isn't there, then you may get a letter, if I could match up your name to an e-mail address." I feel like I've been kicked in the head, and deservedly so for being such a loser.

Got Carolinas...but since UNC rejected me I'm not sure going all the way across the country for one interview is exactly financially wise. I'll probably cancel. I hope one of you pick it up.