UPenn c/o 2018 applicants!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

orca2011

PennWe c/o 2016!!!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello there everyone!

I noticed that no one started a thread yet for Penn, so I thought I'd get one started so people can post any questions they might have.

I just started me 2nd year, so I can answer questions well up until this point. I'm focused on small animal/exotics, but if you have any questions related to NBC I can ask around and hopefully get an answer for you. There are also a few students in the upper years that pop on from time to time that may help with some questions too.

And dont' be afraid to contact the admissions office! They're friendly and super helpful.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Do you know when this year's SCAVMA sale is? I'd like to stop by; I know a couple monetarily-challenged vet students who would love to have some UPenn items; thought I could buy some Christmas presents.

I haven't heard anything yet about the first SCAVMA sale. I think last year's first one was on the Parents/Partners weekend but I may be wrong.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am applying there :) I am a little worried about my GRE scores, though :/

Thanks, orca. If you find out the date, please post it here.

I am applying there :) I am a little worried about my GRE scores, though :/

Mine weren't the best either. I took the old test and just had average scores. Unfortunately with the new test, I still don't really know what is considered good. If you have a good number of hours and a decent GPA, I feel like they use them to balance things out. I actually feel like the admissions offices does a pretty decent job looking at the application as a whole because I was by no means an amazing applicant. Average across the board.

Do you know approximately when the invites will be sent out? I've finished all my apps and supplementals; now I've been sitting around stressing the heck out. :(

Edit: Oops, Just found it online: Jan-Apr

Last edited:
Usually they send something in November just saying that your application was received or if they are missing anything (they are pretty good about letting you re-send stuff that didn't make it to them). Interview invites start coming out around December but the interviews are spread out so like you said can stretch into April.

Just sent in the supplemental. Now the waiting begins haha.

Resurrecting this because only 3 people have said they applied. I'm IS and Penn is my top choice! who else applied? anyone else for equine or large animal?

I applied - OOS with equine focus. Everyone else ready for the long haul that is the admissions process?

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied - OOS with equine focus. Everyone else ready for the long haul that is the admissions process?

Ready as I'll ever be! I waited to get to this point for a long time :D

OOS with a large animal/equine focus :) I just got an email from them the other day saying that they had received all of my info, so it's a step in the right direction!

I just got an email from them the other day saying that they had received all of my info, so it's a step in the right direction!
Did anyone else get an email? I didn't :eek: Hopefully I'm just a few apps behind you in the pile...

I haven't received an email from them either. I submitted everything about a month ago.
Ok, same here. I did call a few days before submitting the supp and asked if they had everything up to that point and was told that they did. I'm just nervous :-/

OOS, food animal here! Anyone else with similar interests?

I applied as well! OOS, large animal. I got an email from them a few days ago saying that they got everything.

Meeeeeeee! OOS (well, actually, OOC!) ... research. Also applied to DVM/PhD program.

:)

Called UPenn because I should have already gotten an email stating that they received all of my stuff, but haven't yet, and was told that the email was sent out to me today. But I never got it. And now I have to call them tomorrow to tell them. And try not to sound like the crazy overly-anxious applicant that I am. Ugh. Help! :stinkyfeet: (I just wanted to use that emoticon because I can)

I kid you not... I just went to Google "Yahoo not getting emails" and I got the friggin' email HAHAHA :p

I love how the email's closing paragraph starts, "This is a very important and stressful period in your life." LOL

The only confirmation I received is that my supplemental and fee were received...now I'm worried!! :nailbiting:

Maybe it's by last name? Mine is "N". And if the email was sent out earlier today, and I got it at 6:55pm, yours should come soon.

I kid you not... I just went to Google "Yahoo not getting emails" and I got the friggin' email HAHAHA :p

I love how the email's closing paragraph starts, "This is a very important and stressful period in your life." LOL

I was going to say that I sometimes got my letters a little delayed for whatever reason. They'd be timestamped early, but I wouldn't get them until later. Not really sure how that works, but I recall it happening with me too.

Reactions: 1 user

Hahaha yeah I lol'ed at that too! And yay, glad to hear you got it!

The only confirmation I received is that my supplemental and fee were received...now I'm worried!! :nailbiting:

They sent out those two right after submitting the supplements, and then just sent a 'PennVet Acknowledgement Letter' saying the app was complete. I'd say just give them a quick call, they've probably got your things and are just haven't gotten to you yet.

Especially after they tell us that this is like a 4month process for them to basically get everyone reviewed and interviewed... :penguin: (just 'cause)

Reactions: 1 users
Guys, don't freak out. They usually send them out in batches...it's kind of how they do this whole application process.

Got my acknowledgement letter today! Finally. I was about to call!

Hey guys! I just wanted to say I am super excited for the applicants this year :) I am a first year at Penn right now and I can't wait to find out who will be a future PennWe!!

Does anyone know if the acknowledgements are being sent by email, snail mail, or both?

Penn doesn't use snail mail for the admissions process until after you've been accepted. Of course things could have changed, but I feel like that's something they'd stick with.

I got my completed application acknowledgment sometime last week, and I submitted everything in August. I was starting to worry, but everything turned out fine.

I'm going to be in the Penn area in December, should I set up an appointment with admissions? Has anybody done that? What should I talk about during the meeting if I do decided to go?

I'm going to be in the Penn area in December, should I set up an appointment with admissions? Has anybody done that? What should I talk about during the meeting if I do decided to go?

Did you apply already, or will be applying? If you haven't applied, definitely. Pretty sure if you contact Mac Keiter, he'll give you a tour and everything. And honestly, ask them about anything. Curriculum, application process, clubs, NBC, research,etc. They generally have answers for you or can probably put you in touch with someone to get answers. If you already applied, I'm not sure if it will help or anything. Depending on when in December you're going to be around, current students might be around to give you a tour/answer questions as well. Just depends on whether we're on break or in the middle of finals.

As a vet who went to a school other than UPenn, I have always wondered why you guys refer to yourselves as PennWe - anyone care to enlighten me (or is it an inside thing ;))?

Because graduates have a habit of seeing how something is done and then saying "well at Penn we do bla bla bla" in a kind of hoity toity way.
It can also be used as a noun: "I went to Penn, but I am definitely not a PennWe."

Reactions: 2 users
As a vet who went to a school other than UPenn, I have always wondered why you guys refer to yourselves as PennWe - anyone care to enlighten me (or is it an inside thing ;))?

Last edited:
It's not the vets who went there that labeled themselves PennWes; It's a others making fun of the vets who went there saying, "At Penn We ..."

You're not supposed to call them that name lol. If they're calling themselves PennWes they're only trying to take power out of the phrase. I could give examples but someone would take it the wrong way for sure and call me homophobic, sexist, racist etc.

The only people I've ever met who used the term were people who were either students at UPenn or they had just gotten accepted there (as in "Yay, I'm going to be a PennWe !!!"). It never crossed my mind that it was meant as an insult - my uncle went to UPenn vet school - but he went there a long, long, long time ago.

I wouldn't be offended if someone called me that. I don't consider myself "a PennWe" since I have a different practice philosophy from them on certain things but even so I think it's much more in the realm of teasing than a real insult. And a lot of people would call themselves that and be proud of it.

I creeped on old UPenn threads and saw that notifications for interviews were sent out usually at the end of the first week of December, right during finals for UPenn students. Has anyone heard anything about the adcom reviewing applications and know if invites would be going out in about a week?