UPenn c/o 2018 applicants!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Well here is to hoping I don't get an invite for when I'm going to Purdue then. Nothing I can do about it anyway.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does Penn require you to submit your fall 2013 grades? Let's just say this past semester hasn't been going so hot :scared:. I was wondering if that would affect my chances for admission?

Does Penn require you to submit your fall 2013 grades? Let's just say this past semester hasn't been going so hot :scared:. I was wondering if that would affect my chances for admission?

I can't remember if they need them at all in like January or February but they do require them if you're accepted and before you matriculate.

Got an interview invite on Thursday for January 17th! I am interested in public health and am OOS. Good luck to everyone!

Congrats!! Just curious, by your username are you a Rutgers student? I just graduated in May! :)

Got an interview invite on Thursday for January 17th! I am interested in public health and am OOS. Good luck to everyone![Congrats

Both years I applied it was required, and I'm sure that's probably one thing that won't change.

Yes I found it on the website that they are required and it says they "consider them as part of the application process". My semester hasn't been going the greatest either but I had to get an extension on my fall classes due to having to miss my final exams to fly out to interviews today so penn probably won't get my fall semester grades until after my interview and hopefully after they've made their admissions decision.... Penn didn't give a deadline for the grades to be received but some of the other schools I applied to say Feb 1st...

ugh this just seems complicated. Do you think they'll email us to let us know if we have to send in fall grades (I mean for any school, not just penn) or should we just assume we're sending them in to everywhere?

ugh this just seems complicated. Do you think they'll email us to let us know if we have to send in fall grades (I mean for any school, not just penn) or should we just assume we're sending them in to everywhere?

Most schools mention it directly on their website, but tend to follow up with a reminder email. However, I wouldn't rely on them sending an email and would search for the answer on their sites or give them a call. However, pretty sure all schools will want to see your grades either way before you actually matriculate.

Does anyone know what day of the week they send invites? I know the interviews occur on Fridays (do they just do everything on Fridays?). I asked them when they send rejections and they said at any point over the next three months. Which as you can imagine, not very helpful…I just want to make it through interviews without any date conflicts.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know what day of the week they send invites? I know the interviews occur on Fridays (do they just do everything on Fridays?). I asked them when they send rejections and they said at any point over the next three months. Which as you can imagine, not very helpful…I just want to make it through interviews without any date conflicts.
I got my invite on a Thursday.

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah we submit them to vmcas I think and then they send them to wherever.

If you look at last year's interview thread, it seems that they were all sent out on Thursdays?

Reactions: 1 user
So as long as I don't get an invite on the second of next month, all is well in the world of evilsquirrel. :whistle:

Have interview invites have all been through your personal email? Too many portals to keep track of

Congrats to those who have gotten interviews! Those that haven't heard yet, please try not to drive yourself insane. Like SOV said, they interview about 20 people a week so invites go out constantly. Spots also open up as other people get into other schools.

Also, I talked to my housemates, and we'd all be willing to house people for interviews if you don't want to pay for a hotel. We have two sofa beds and are about a 15-20 minute walk from campus. You would just have to be okay with 3 dogs and a rabbit that stays in the living room (if you choose the downstairs sofa bed).

Also, if you can, try to stay for the Friday evening afterwards. We have happy hours every Friday from 5-7 in the Student Lounge and it's a great way to meet people and ask questions you might have wanted to ask but didn't get around to (and without any pressure).

That is so nice of you, and thank you for all of your advice!! I received my invitation to interview yesterday, and I am SO excited, but nervous!! My fall grades were good except for my Biochem class that had an extremely difficult, one would even say unfair professor, and I ended up receiving a D+, and will have to retake the class in the spring. I am worried this will affect my chances of getting in, especially since my GRE isn't amazing either. Penn is definitely my top choice!! Do you have any advice about how to explain this is if the grade comes up in the interview, or any advice for the interview in general?

Congrats on your interview!
As for advice for dealing with your grade in Biochem, I'd be extremely cautious of describing the course as unfair. While I definitely think there are professors out there that are unfair, putting blame elsewhere will likely throw up a red flag. I think you'll just have to spin it in a way where you can show that you've learned from the experience and just do well in the class in the spring.

As for the interview in general, it's half open/half closed, so one person has read your file and the other hasn't. The person who hasn't read your file will ask the majority of the questions. They do like to toss around at least one ethical question, so do some research on difficult topics. Mine was about convenience euthanasias. Also, we do have students involved in our interview process, which is different from a lot of the other schools...I think Illinois was the only other school I interviewed at that had to a student involved in my interview. These students aren't actually in the room during your half hour interview but give you your tour and hang with you for the part of the day you're not interviewing. They're there to answer any questions and collect input. As for how much weight they have, I really can't say since I am not one of those people.

Otherwise, just relax! The student committee is a nice group of people and I think they try to get people from varying areas of interests, so questions can be directed at the appropriate people. I also remember coming out of mine during my first application thinking I completely bombed it and ended up high on the IS wait list.

Thank you so much!! I was definitely leaning towards that way of explaining my Biochem grade, so I'm glad you confirmed that belief. That was all such helpful advice!

Interview on 1/31 :) If anyone else is going that day, let me know! It would be nice to know a few people going in.

I creeped on old UPenn threads and saw that notifications for interviews were sent out usually at the end of the first week of December, right during finals for UPenn students. Has anyone heard anything about the adcom reviewing applications and know if invites would be going out in about a week?
I have heard that invites will be sent out from late December to March. On my end, I have not heard anything from them yet either.

Getting so anxious, Penn is the only school I haven't heard from!! Hopefully they're back from break and more invites go out this week? I'm LA interest so it may be a while for me, since I think someone mentioned LA interviews are sent out later? Did anyone contact them to see if we send fall transcripts to vmcas or directly to penn?

I confirmed that their FAQ section on their PennVet page is correct - they only require your transcripts to be sent to VMCAS - no need to send directly to them.

Good luck to anyone interviewing tomorrow!!!

Don't forget to stop by happy hour at 5! Also if anyone is sticking around tomorrow night, there is an Alpha Psi (our veterinary fraternity) party as a fundraiser for a group of students who go to Haiti in the summer to provide medical care and educate farmers. It's open to everyone, so I'm sure you'd be more than welcome to attend.

So excited! interview Jan 31 :)

Also, don't mind the mess tomorrow. Not sure if they sent out an email, but we had a little water line burst incident so the Hill Lobby might be a bit chaotic.

And offer for a free place to stay for interviews is still available.

Congrats!! Penn is the last school I'm waiting to hear anything from- really pulling for this school, but definitely trying to be realistic.

Congrats to all with interviews. For those LA interested, New Bolton is a beautiful place. I currently will be there for my CVT practicum.. I am still waiting to hear back from Penn. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Congrats to all with interviews. For those LA interested, New Bolton is a beautiful place. I currently will be there for my CVT practicum.. I am still waiting to hear back from Penn. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Yeah, I'm still waiting too - making me anxious!

Aside, did I see you in the VMRCVM thread? It'll be nice to have a PA buddy there. Hope you get the Penn invite!

Yeah, I'm still waiting too - making me anxious!

Aside, did I see you in the VMRCVM thread? It'll be nice to have a PA buddy there. Hope you get the Penn invite!

Yes you did. I have an interview next weekend at VMRCVM. And I hope you have an interview at Penn as well.

I had my interview today and absolutely LOVED it!! Very laid back, student-driven, and not stressful at all. Everyone seems to genuinely enjoy it here. Good luck to everyone!!!

Reactions: 7 users
Yes you did. I have an interview next weekend at VMRCVM. And I hope you have an interview at Penn as well.

I'm from PA too and will be at VA MD this weekend as well! still waiting for penn. It's agonizing...

Last edited:
I got an interview!!!!! :):):D:p Feb 7th and I'm OOS! I was in complete shock when I got the email today!

I got an interview!!!!! :):):D:p Feb 7th and I'm OOS! I was in complete shock when I got the email today!
Are you large animal? Feb 7th is around the LA interview day from last year. Im IS and haven't gotten an interview yet but have an interview at Florida the 8th...

What is the address the emails come from? I want to make sure I don't miss it if it goes in my spam folder.

Are you large animal? Feb 7th is around the LA interview day from last year. Im IS and haven't gotten an interview yet but have an interview at Florida the 8th...

I am small animal.

Me too. I'm wondering if they do IS later than OOS?

I got my acceptance call this afternoon! Ecstatic! It's been a long road.. Good luck to everyone else!

Reactions: 8 users
Just got my acceptance call!! So happy! Now it's uc Davis vs. UPenn.... Decisions decisions!

Reactions: 2 users
Accepted!!! :) :) :) Congrats everyone!

Congrats on the acceptances!!!

Does anyone know how many applicants Penn had this year and/or how many more invites will go out?

Congrats on your acceptances, guys! I still haven't heard from Penn at all yet :eek:

Congrats on your acceptances, guys! I still haven't heard from Penn at all yet :eek:
Ditto on both- congrats!!! Starting to get a little worried...has anyone heard anything about a large animal/New Bolton day?

Ditto on both- congrats!!! Starting to get a little worried...has anyone heard anything about a large animal/New Bolton day?
Ditto. I'm "mixed", kinda, and haven't heard anything yet.