UPenn c/o 2019 Applicants!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I interviewed at 5 schools and never got asked anything like what is described above. It sounds so shady!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I thought there were rules that prohibited schools from asking those types of questions

Members don't see this ad :)
Just received an email, alternate list :/

Reactions: 1 users
That's it, I'm calling.

I just got an email an hour ago saying that I have been chosen as an alternate!!! I interviewed on 2/13! I'm very thankful that they are giving me a chance.

I interviewed 2/13 and was selected as an alternate. More waiting now... Haha

EDIT: I'm also OOS.

Last edited:
Alternate and OOS as well!! congrats guys!

I interviewed at 5 schools and never got asked anything like what is described above. It sounds so shady!!

I thought there were rules that prohibited schools from asking those types of questions

I don't know if there are rules against it, but like @galixia17 said, it is very shady. A school is making its applicants pre-screen themselves through those phone calls? That is also pretty lazy.

No there is no rule against this.
No this is not shady.

You may not like it, but that is life.

The fact of the matter is that a VERY large % of applicants will choose their IS school over Penn. They don't want to waste their time or yours at this late stage in the game.
If you are TALKING to them, you can state your preference for Penn up front and give a reasonable sounding reason.

I was asked this question in my interview, and allayed their concerns. If it came up on the phone I would have done likewise.

Seriously, I would like to know why some folks have heard nothing. This is really frustrating. Anyone else out there who has not heard anything? Assuming a rejection since all the interviews are done but geez Penn...could you not string us along?

Maybe this is a good reason to take them off my list before they take me off theirs. Starting to really question Penn's overall approach to this admission process.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Seriously, I would like to know why some folks have heard nothing. This is really frustrating. Anyone else out there who has not heard anything? Assuming a rejection since all the interviews are done but geez Penn...could you not string us along?

Maybe this is a good reason to take them off my list before they take me off theirs. Starting to really question Penn's overall approach to this admission process.

:laugh:

This is how Penn does admissions every year. They send out an initial string of rejections, then slowly send out interviews. If you've made it this far even if you didn't get an interview, it means they were still considering your application. I get the process can be frustrating but at least you were still being considered instead of rejected right off. Anyone applying to vet school should recognize that they could be waiting with no answers up until April. The schools are under no obligation to give you a decision sooner, though most do. Applicants to vet school should also be prepared for the possibility of being wait listed and having to wait even longer. The school isn't doing anything wrong, you are just impatient.

Reactions: 5 users
:laugh:

This is how Penn does admissions every year. They send out an initial string of rejections, then slowly send out interviews. If you've made it this far even if you didn't get an interview, it means they were still considering your application. I get the process can be frustrating but at least you were still being considered instead of rejected right off. Anyone applying to vet school should recognize that they could be waiting with no answers up until April. The schools are under no obligation to give you a decision sooner, though most do. Applicants to vet school should also be prepared for the possibility of being wait listed and having to wait even longer. The school isn't doing anything wrong, you are just impatient.
Yes I get the waiting part. What I don't understand is if there is no interview offered, then just send the rejection. It helps get the painful part over with. I highly doubt they'd make an interview offer now so why not just send the rejection?

I hope future applicants see this discussion about PennVet or that PennVet reconsiders their approach. In the meantime they can have fun with all the phone calls! Congrats to everyone who was admitted or got an alternate spot. PennVet program does seem good, I just wish this whole process was conducted better.
this discussion is discussed every year in every Penn c/o thread.
It should be no mystery, and some of us usually explain this at the beginning.

Reactions: 2 users
Yes I get the waiting part. What I don't understand is if there is no interview offered, then just send the rejection. It helps get the painful part over with. I highly doubt they'd make an interview offer now so why not just send the rejection?

I don't know what penn does internally but I'm sure there is a legitimate reason as to why they wait or have some applicants that haven't heard anything this "late". They aren't purposely stringing you along or being malicious, so just sit tight and you'll get info eventually. I think my Penn rejection came in late February or early March if I remember correctly.

They actually have listened to complaints about how the interviews are run and have cut a full month (at least) off of the process so that people can hear back sooner. I understand that this is a frustrating process but I'm sure they're tacking this as well as they can :).

Reactions: 6 users
They actually have listened to complaints about how the interviews are run and have cut a full month (at least) off of the process so that people can hear back sooner. I understand that this is a frustrating process but I'm sure they're tacking this as well as they can :).
Easily said for those that have an acceptance or a waitlist spot. So there is frustration for those who haven't heard anything. And, Penn is a terrific school which is what makes this all so hard for those of us in purgatory.

Easily said for those that have an acceptance or a waitlist spot. So there is frustration for those who haven't heard anything. And, Penn is a terrific school which is what makes this all so hard for those of us in purgatory.
I completely understand that. I just wanted to let you all know that they do take complaints into account and that I'm sure they're doing the best they can :).

You aren't in purgatory. You'll get an answer from them, it just doesn't happen to be when YOU want it.

Reactions: 4 users
I'm sure they're just trying to fill their class completely before they let anyone go for good. Honestly, I'm happy to wait knowing that they have kept me competitive all this time. It is extremely stressful but there is always hope until rejection.

Penn has been doing this for a long time and I'm sure they know better than we do about how admissions works.

Would like to point out, entirely unhelpfully, and from personal experience, that there are certain PhD programs (coughHARVARDcough) that tell you if you don't hear from them by end of Jan, assume you're rejected. There are also certain PhD programs (coughUCSFcough) that send you a rejection email 3 times in a row.

Penn could be ruder. :p

I remember not hearing from certain schools until mid march. So yeah. This isn't so bad. Patience, young pre-vetlings. It will be ok.

I'd rather be strung along and have a chance than rejected early, personally.

Reactions: 5 users
I was one of the people who hadn't heard anything from them. I called this afternoon and was told they are done with their interviews. Those who haven't heard should get official letters soon. Good luck to those of you on the alternate list

Was going to comment about them asking whoever posted about them calling and wondering about your interest and what not, but SOV pretty much said what I was going to say.

As for the admissions part, everyone else already pretty much nailed it as well. Not a part of admissions, so I don't know their inner workings or anything like that. And when it comes down to it, you are only really aware of what is going on because of this website. When I wasn't on here during my first application cycle, I never really knew what was going on with admissions. SDN is both a blessing and a curse at times.

Last edited:
This is kind of messed up. They don't have a right to ask where we applied or if we got in. That should have nothing to do with their acceptance or rejection of our application.
I also have heard absolutely nothing. I'm not sure why they waited this long to reject some of us when many rejections were done back in December.

This is kind of messed up. They don't have a right to ask where we applied or if we got in. That should have nothing to do with their acceptance or rejection of our application.
I also have heard absolutely nothing. I'm not sure why they waited this long to reject some of us when many rejections were done back in December.

It's not just Penn, guys. Pretty much every interview I went on, the schools asked where I applied and what my status was at them. I see no harm in it. If they really want you and think you'll be a great fit, they'll make the offer.

If you are that upset about what they are doing, withdraw your application and you don't have to worry about it anymore.

They continue to evaluate applications as they go. I know it's stressful but not getting rejected in December means that your app was good enough to make it to the second stage of the process.

I think everyone needs to just take a deep breath. Step away from SDN. Stop calling admissions every time you get impatient. Do something relaxing. There is nothing you can do at this point to change what will happen, it is out of your hands. Raging about the way admissions works is simply not productive. You have to recognize that the schools don't owe you anything other than a consideration of your application. Nothing more.

Reactions: 11 users
I haven't been asked by other schools at my interviews what I heard from other schools I applied to. I have been asked if I applied to my IS, the cost of attendance there, and I have been asked if I had been interviewed by other schools I applied to. I do think that asking an applicant what they heard from other schools is unprofessional, rude, and inconsiderate.

I think that if this is how some schools treat their applicants, it does not paint a good picture of how they might treat their students. I do agree that SDN is a blessing and a curse. I think it is important for people and the schools who do this to know that schools are doing this and that it is bad for both applicants and the school. It is unacceptable and should be stopped.
This is one of the most self righteous posts I have ever read. I mean really, take it down a notch. Did you read a word of what SOV and orca said earlier on this subject?

I haven't been asked by other schools at my interviews what I heard from other schools I applied to. I have been asked if I applied to my IS, the cost of attendance there, and I have been asked if I had been interviewed by other schools I applied to. I do think that asking an applicant what they heard from other schools is unprofessional, rude, and inconsiderate.

I think that if this is how some schools treat their applicants, it does not paint a good picture of how they might treat their students. I do agree that SDN is a blessing and a curse. I think it is important for people and the schools who do this to know that schools are doing this and that it is bad for both applicants and the school. It is unacceptable and should be stopped.

I do have an inkling of a feeling that by "heard" they might have been referring to the exact questions you just mentioned. Heard doesn't automatically equal have you been accepted, which seems to be where most of you are having an issue. However, when asked such question, it is up to you to make it clear that you are very interested and would strongly consider attending if accepted. I've seen a similar situation happen to a few people on here and then they were offered interviews.

I also know that you can tell another school you were flat out accepted to one school and plan to attend there and still get accepted the school you just interviewed at. Happened to my bf since he was on his way to the other interview when he got his acceptance call to another vet school and had no time to cancel the one he was about to attend. So like I said, if the school wants you enough and you say you were accepted, they'll give you the offer. Heck some schools probably use it was a way to gauge how competitive you are in regards to all the applicants. If you have a few offers and they really want you, they might be willing to offer you a small scholarship (although probably still rare) or something along those lines.

I was asked by many schools if I had applied elsewhere or heard back from any of them. I answered honestly. These schools aren't being mean, this isn't unacceptable behavior and no, it should not be stopped. I can say this is the first year I have heard of Penn calling people they have not yet notified of interview or rejection and asking about IS schools or if they had heard back from any other schools. My initial thought on that is that they might be looking to interview a few more people to be sure they are filling the class appropriately. It is getting "late" in the application cycle, so my guess is that the calls are to see who might still be interested. It is up to YOU that if they ask you those questions to state that yes, you have heard from your IS, but you are really impressed by x,y,z that Penn has to offer and you are very much still interested in their school and attending it should you be given the opportunity.

They are allowed to ask about where else you applied and what you are thinking. That is not in any way shady or unacceptable and it does not need to be stopped. No different than a job interview where you mention to an employer that you have a few offers and you will think it over and let them know, if they REALLY want you, they might be willing to provide you with some incentives. If you are really interested in Penn, you need to demonstrate that interest otherwise it is a waste of your time, their time, and possibly other applicants' time if you are just going to go to your IS regardless of what Penn says...

I was asked by many schools if I had applied elsewhere or heard back from any of them. I answered honestly. These schools aren't being mean, this isn't unacceptable behavior and no, it should not be stopped. I can say this is the first year I have heard of Penn calling people they have not yet notified of interview or rejection and asking about IS schools or if they had heard back from any other schools. My initial thought on that is that they might be looking to interview a few more people to be sure they are filling the class appropriately. It is getting "late" in the application cycle, so my guess is that they calls are to see who might still be interested. It is up to YOU that if they ask you those questions to state that yes, you have heard from your IS, but you are really impressed by x,y,z that Penn has to offer and you are very much still interested in their school and attending it should you be given the opportunity.

They are allowed to ask about where else you applied and what you are thinking. That is not in any way shady or unacceptable and it does not need to be stopped. No different than a job interview where you mention to an employer that you have a few offers and you will think it over and let them know, if they REALLY want you, they might be willing to provide you with some incentives. If you are really interested in Penn, you need to demonstrate that interest otherwise it is a waste of your time, their time, and possibly other applicants' time if you are just going to go to your IS regardless of what Penn says...

I think I recall of someone getting a call like you mentioned last year or maybe it was for my class. Like 95% sure it's happened before, but not too commonly that I'm aware.

Heck, for what it's worth to anyone here, Penn offered me a place after rejecting me even though they knew I was going to another school. They do, do it.

I think I recall of someone getting a call like you mentioned last year or maybe it was for my class. Like 95% sure it's happened before, but not too commonly that I'm aware.

Heck, for what it's worth to anyone here, Penn offered me a place after rejecting me even though they knew I was going to another school. They do, do it.

Yeah, I am sure it has happened at some point, just first time I have seen it on SDN. I don't think it is a bad thing though, I think it might actually be a good thing for those still in limbo, but I don't really know, just a guess. I can't imagine them calling up people that they have not interviewed and asking them questions if they are currently planning to reject them, wouldn't make sense. Would make more sense that they are gauging who might be a good fit to possibly interview.

Yeah, I am sure it has happened at some point, just first time I remember seeing it on SDN. I don't think it is a bad thing though, I think it might actually be a good thing for those still in limbo, but I don't really know, just a guess. I can't imagine them calling up people that they have not interviewed and asking them questions if they are currently planning to reject them, wouldn't make sense. Would make more sense that they are gauging who might be a good fit to possibly interview.

Oh totally agree and I think that was the case in this situation...and I think this one was on SDN, but I have no clue where. I think they got called and Penn asked if they were interested and then they go a spot in an interview later that week since someone cancelled.

Finally got my rejection email. It's all good though, I was just curious how long it would take to get it. Congrats to everyone going to UPenn though!

Finally got my rejection email. It's all good though, I was just curious how long it would take to get it. Congrats to everyone going to UPenn though!
Same here. At this point it's really no surprise.

Me Too finally... Congrats to those accepted!!!

I was finally rejected too. I applied to WAY too many schools and this was the last one. Congrats to everyone accepted!!

I'm rejected as well! finally some closure! Good luck to those still waiting for other school! and Congrats to those who has heard good news already!

Finally...that rejection email came....It was expected but they didn't have to drag it soo much.

I was rejected today too, but that's ok I'm off to Georgia :)

Does anyone know if they came out with the waitlist rankings yet?