UPenn c/o 2019 Applicants!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys, just wondering if any of you brought a support system (i.e. parents, siblings or significant other) to the interview with you. Thanks!

In the past, interview day was strictly for interviewees. It should specifically say this on your interview invite. Relatives were welcome to explore the rest of campus and things like that, but weren't able to go on the tour or anything. However, it sounds like there have been some changes for this year. If your invite isn't clear about guests, I would just contact Admissions and clarify with them.

Members don't see this ad.

In the past, interview day was strictly for interviewees. It should specifically say this on your interview invite. Relatives were welcome to explore the rest of campus and things like that, but weren't able to go on the tour or anything. However, it sounds like there have been some changes for this year. If your invite isn't clear about guests, I would just contact Admissions and clarify with them.
My understanding is that the guest rule is the same as previous years. I live about 45min from the school and I'm a super non-trad, so I'm definitely going solo. I'm just trying to decide if I should stay in the city the night before (I've got to be there at 8am) or just take the train and one of the Lucy shuttles (brown/gold I think?). I know I don't want to be late!

My understanding is that the guest rule is the same as previous years. I live about 45min from the school and I'm a super non-trad, so I'm definitely going solo. I'm just trying to decide if I should stay in the city the night before (I've got to be there at 8am) or just take the train and one of the Lucy shuttles (brown/gold I think?). I know I don't want to be late!

If you decide on the night before, you can always crash at mine. We have two sofa beds. I'll be up and out early cause of an externship out in Wayne so I could possibly drop you off at the school or you could walk. I'm about a 15 minute walk away.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all! I'm new to SDN. I just heard from Penn today for an interview on the 9th. Does anyone have any tips for penn interviews?

Reactions: 1 user
Hi all! I'm new to SDN. I just heard from Penn today for an interview on the 9th. Does anyone have any tips for penn interviews?
My experience was incredibly chill. I didn't get asked any situational type questions (e.g. what would you do if a classmate was chronically disruptive, etc) and it was pretty much completely based off of my experiences. Why vetmed, why Penn, why large animal; things like that. I was also asked to explain parts of my application that were lacking (my first semester GPA was bad). All in all I really enjoyed my interview (as much as you can enjoy an interview) and everyone was really welcoming and friendly :).

One of the questions I'm not 100% sure I have an appropriate answer for is "Why Penn?" I have many reasons, most of which are financial. It's my, IS, I wouldn't have to move right away (I currently don't pay rent), my son wouldn't have to change schools, etc. Also, hello, it's PENN! Growing up in SE PA, Penn has always been my ideal, and it's such a leader in human and vet medicine (in this area). I've always been drawn to Penn and it's my top choice, I'm just not sure my answers are as strong as they should be.

Sould I worry ...if I havent heard from PENN? OOS hopeful here!:help:

My experience was incredibly chill. I didn't get asked any situational type questions (e.g. what would you do if a classmate was chronically disruptive, etc) and it was pretty much completely based off of my experiences. Why vetmed, why Penn, why large animal; things like that. I was also asked to explain parts of my application that were lacking (my first semester GPA was bad). All in all I really enjoyed my interview (as much as you can enjoy an interview) and everyone was really welcoming and friendly :).

Thanks so much! That makes me feel so much better :)

One of the questions I'm not 100% sure I have an appropriate answer for is "Why Penn?" I have many reasons, most of which are financial. It's my, IS, I wouldn't have to move right away (I currently don't pay rent), my son wouldn't have to change schools, etc. Also, hello, it's PENN! Growing up in SE PA, Penn has always been my ideal, and it's such a leader in human and vet medicine (in this area). I've always been drawn to Penn and it's my top choice, I'm just not sure my answers are as strong as they should be.
that all sounds good enough to me.

And honestly, the "Why Penn" question is more for out of state students that IS.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't worry just yet. Penn sends invites in waves and in the past has interviewed well into March. I know a woman who was called the day before the last interview, and is now in her second year at Penn.
Thank you....I called to PENN and got told that they will take until February for interviews....and that emails are sent on Fridays mostly (weekly).
*crosses fingers*

Thank you....I called to PENN and got told that they will take until February for interviews....and that emails are sent on Fridays mostly (weekly).
*crosses fingers*

I received my interview invite on a wednesday...so stay positive! Nothing is set in stone!

Has anyone heard from penn recently?

Last edited:
Guys, please try to relax in regards to hearing from them. I remember the torment, but working yourself up right now isn't going to change when you will hear from them and only stress you out. Just keep on doing things that you enjoy.

Fwi, we just all got off winter break so everyone should be back in offices.

I just received an interview invite (on a Tuesday) for Jan 30th so they may be sending out more!! I'm also an OOS applicant.

Are we sending our Fall transcripts to Penn?

*Nevermind! Only if we're granted admission. Just ignore me..

Last edited:
Still no word.....how long do they drag this out?

just wondering would we get an email or a phone call?

Penn is a dragger. Keep you're chin up, it's still early in the game!

I feel like they drag it out much more than the 9 other schools I applied to....

UGA doesn't tell you anything until March I think. So it could be worse!
Ah but at least in that case you know you won't know anything until March. Here we are stuck checking our emails every week, hoping this time we'll hear something, with the knowledge that others are hearing from them while you are left to wait, for an undetermined amount of time.

I think the greater uncertainty factor is what is causing some of the anxiety around here. I've been generally pretty chill about the whole thing, but I can see how this setup in particular would be harder on everyone than having a single date, or even a single week, when you can expect to hear from the school.

I feel like they drag it out much more than the 9 other schools I applied to....

Penn is/was my IS and out of the 11 schools I applied to it was the very last school I heard from. If I remember correctly, I received a rejection email the day before the very last interview date in March last year. It just seemed to drag on forever. Unfortunately they keep a lot of people waiting on the edge of their seats with the way they send out invites. Having patience is easier said in retrospect, but try not to stress too much. Good luck!

does anyone actually know when the first date of interviews is?

Do they allow you to choose a date or is it assigned?

Do they allow you to choose a date or is it assigned?
My invite told me I was to report on the 16th at 12.45 and there was no rescheduling. Though I would assume they would make an exception if there was some sort of emergency or something like that.

For everyone that interviewed yesterday, How did it go?!

The interview was suprisingly very conversational and it seemed the interviewer interacted with me just as much as I talked about myself. I really enjoyed the experience overall and fell in love with penn more! If you know why you want to go to vet school and review your application, it will be fine. I got a call already saying I'm in as well, so not having to wait a long time to see if you got in or not is a plus as well. Good luck to you all!

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
The interview was suprisingly very conversational and it seemed the interviewer interacted with me just as much as I talked about myself. I really enjoyed the experience overall and fell in love with penn more! If you know why you want to go to vet school and review your application, it will be fine. I got a call already saying I'm in as well, so not having to wait a long time to see if you got in or not is a plus as well. Good luck to you all!

Congrats!! I know a lot of people are frustrated with the drawn-out interview process, but it's exciting at least that the status notifications come quickly!

Friend just freaked out over upenn acceptance, calls are still going out today. Last name is F if they are going alphabetically. Good luck all :)

Friend just freaked out over upenn acceptance, calls are still going out today. Last name is F if they are going alphabetically. Good luck all :)

Every time I see a post from you, I read it in Red's voice.

Reactions: 3 users
JUST GOT THE CALL. PENN VET CLASS OF 2019 :D <3 MY LIFE IS COMPLETE

Reactions: 5 users