VCOM Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thank you so much! I have heard so many great things about this school. I can't wait for interview day!

Members don't see this ad.

I still haven't gotten my complete email and I submitted everything 2 weeks ago....I hope I still get an interview here:/

Members don't see this ad :)
i called up in order to get my complete email as they checked my application over the phone. She told me it will be reviewed shortly and I should be hearing from them this week. Fingers crossed. Good luck

I submitted my secondary on 10/30 and got the interview call 11/17, so it was over 2 weeks... you may hear something soon!

thanks I'm hoping I hear this week or next week! The school looks great, congratz to those that got in:)

Can anyone give details on the interview? I know they are going to ask Why DO and Why VCOM, and that everyone says it is laid back..but what else is there? Were there any difficult ethical questions, or questions about the health care crisis? or was it all pretty much like they just want to get to know you? I'm interviewing Tuesday and just want to be prepared..thank you!!!

2 of the 3 interviews were highly conversational and we primarily focused on my activites/work/research. However we did discuss some current events and I was asked why DO vs MD but again all of this was in a very friendly, non-confrontational manner.
The third interview was also very friendly and fairly relaxed but I got more structured questions: why DO, a couple of simple ethical questions, how do you feel about rotations in highly underserved/super rural areas, and a question about fixing the health care system.
Overall, it was by far the most pleasant interview experience I've had, they really just try to get to know you and I feel like they know that the best way to do that is to create a comfortable environment. As long as you can talk about what is in your application, have answers to the basic questions, and come across as genuine you'll be absolutely fine. Don't lose any sleep and good luck!!!

Has anyone who was accepted on or around 11/17 received any paperwork in the mail or instructions on how to submit your deposit?

I got the complete email today as well, but she said it may take up to 1 month but probably earlier until my status changes!

I got an interview invite today and am really excited!!! I love VCOM. I was complete 11/23 and will interview the second week in December. Hope there are still some seats left:xf:

I got an interview invite today and am really excited!!! I love VCOM. I was complete 11/23 and will interview the second week in December. Hope there are still some seats left:xf:

First of all, congrats! Second of all, Me too! Well - I received an interview invite and I SOOO wanted to interview on December 13th, but seeing as how I'm in Utah, flights are SUPER expensive. So I changed my date to January 11th. Anyone else interviewing on this date? Willing to share hotel? I want to stay at the Comfort Inn Blacksburg since they offer a complimentary shuttle to/from Roanoke as well as to/from VCOM. PM me

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I got an interview invite for 12/8!!! I submitted my secondary on 11/14 and got the invite yesterday. I'm really excited because this is my number one choice. Does anyone else have an interview next thursday? I am soo excited! any advice would be appreciated :)

It took over 5 weeks from submission of my secondary (and fee!) before they even contacted me to tell me it had been received. This happened last week and they also offered an interview on Dec 19th. I guess I can't complain too much about the delay if they want me to come interview.?. Anyone else interviewing on this day?

I've already been accepted here about a month or two ago. If anyone has an interview and wants some specific advice or advice in general PM me and we can setup a way we can talk! I'd love to help anyone who really wants to go.

Also, there is a Facebook page, it's called like VCOM Class of 2016 or something..

I just got the phone call this morning, I'm accepted to VCOM-CC C/O 2016!!! WHOO HOO!! I am so ecstatic. And to anyone who is interviewing here soon, when we interviewed on 11/29 they had only filled 74 spots, so there are still a lot left!

does anyone know if they work with you on paying your deposit? I do not have wealthy parents (it is just my mom) who can fork over $1500 at any one time, and it's a lot to come up with in 30 days. I was wondering if anyone else had this problem and if so how did you handle it? I am just hoping maybe they can let me pay half now and half next month or SOMETHING bc I really want to go here! Thanks guys and congrats to all!! :love:

I was accepted to VCOM!! I got the call on Thursday 12/1, (I interviewed the 29th). VCOM is the first school I interviewed at and have heard back from! =) Congrats to all the others who were accepted and also good luck to those who have upcoming interviews. VCOM's interviews were really relaxed and friendly..so don't sweat it. I know I had a hard time sleeping the night before, and looking back on it I had nothing to worry about because all my interviewers made the whole process really comfortable. If anyone has questions feel free to let me know!

Last edited:
I'm in the same boat. I've called around throughout the financial office and NO ONE is ever in their office. I finally got a hold of the registrar and I asked her if there was any flexibility with payments and she said usually there is. She transferred me to someone but that person wasn't in their office. (of course lol) I left a message and hopefully I can work something out. So yes, they are open to arranging something with you.

Thanks!! I talked to Mattie and she is working it out with me, so I'm happy for that! She was more than happy to work with me on it. I just call the mainline and press the numbers for admissions and usually get her :)

if you have been accepted to the VA campus, does anyone know whether there is the possibility of changing to the Carolinas campus? I know they operate their own admissions office's, but I was just curious about the potential of this. Thanks!

Hey everyone!!

I am a 2nd year at VCOM-VA, and just wanted to let everyone know that if you have any questions about the VA school or anything please feel free to send me a PM or something. Good luck to everyone and congrats on those accepted! :)

Yay VCOM Class of 2016!! Took me awhile to decide but I am sending in my check and I am also in the facebook group...so it's afacebook official haha. I got to VT, been in blacksburg for 4 years so I know this area well. If anyone has any questions, don't hesitate to ask!

My prayers go out to the victims of the shooting today at VTech in blacksburg :( (I know this is VCOM but seeing how the school is located within the VTech area)

What is the GPA/MCAT stats of the recent class?

Also, has anyone recently gotten an interview for late Dec/January dates? I was complete about 2 weeks ago and they still haven't reviewed my file--anyone else in the same boat?

I have been in this boat since about mid November. I haven't t heard anything but am hopeful. 3.855 cgpa, 3.72 sgpa, 21 and 22q mcat. I did not get offered an interview at kcom but heard from them a week ago. I submitted both secondaries within a day of each other.

Also, has anyone recently gotten an interview for late Dec/January dates? I was complete about 2 weeks ago and they still haven't reviewed my file--anyone else in the same boat?

I was offered an interview about a couple weeks ago. I received the complete email on 11/23 and was called for an interview on 11/29. My interview is January 10th. I was given the option of interviewing this week but flights were so doggone expensive that I changed it to 1/10

Does everyone get a phone call post-interview regardless of whether you were accepted? I know that everyone gets a letter either way. Thanks!

Interiew invite for January! How are the interviews at Vcom--stressful or not?

Also, does anyone know how much of the class is filled so far? I know Vcom has interviews until April/may, but im nervous that a january interview is still considered late..?

Not sure if filled or not but the interview was very laid back. You'll do three 1/2 hour interviews with different falculty members, exactly who is doing them changes group to group. They are one-on-one, open file. In my interviews they asked the basics, WHY DO, why VCOM, why medicine. Most of the time they just spent getting to know me, very casual. We talked alot about my interest, hobbies, family, future goals. Nothing difficult, I think there may have been a question like what is the biggest problem facing healthcare or something. As with any school be prepared to talk bout anything abnormal on your app (poor grade, ect) but don't be worried about it, they knew about when they offered you an interview so to them its not a big problem. My advice, RELAX! Its a great school with great falculty. They just want to get to know you.

Also, does anyone know how much of the class is filled so far? I know Vcom has interviews until April/may, but im nervous that a january interview is still considered late..?

Agreed. Very relaxed. They let you know right away that your application has been reviewed by multiple committees before they decided to interview you. From what I understand, an interview offer here is a very good sign.

Also, I wouldn't worry about January being considered late. They've barely filled half of their class and that's not counting the people who will eventually withdraw their acceptances. You have a great shot :)

When I interviewed, I was at the end of March, and was part of the first group that was really interviewing for the waitlist. So I wouldn't believe they would already be full for the next class. Also, like others have said the interviews are very relaxed. Just be yourself, and I'm sure you will do great. They aren't out to grill, but just want to get to know you. Good luck!

Had an awesome time at the 12/14 interview day. This school is great! Hoping to hear some good news soon!

Has anybody heard anything yet? I interviewed in the beginning of December and they said the Admission Committee should be meeting again today.

Nothing yet. We were told the same thing. Hope to hear soon!

I interviewed early December and just got a phone call that I'm accepted.

You should hear soon.

Interviewed December 5th. Just got my acceptance call about 10 minutes ago!!!

if you have been accepted to the VA campus, does anyone know whether there is the possibility of changing to the Carolinas campus? I know they operate their own admissions office's, but I was just curious about the potential of this. Thanks!

Anyone know the answer to this??? Thanks!!

ACCEPTED!!! couldn't be more excited!!! LOVE this school. excellent staff, facilities, environment, etc. best interview i've had yet!

ACCEPTED!!! couldn't be more excited!!! LOVE this school. excellent staff, facilities, environment, etc. best interview i've had yet!

Couldn't agree more. Interviewed early December, accepted December 22nd. So excited as I had a feeling during the interview that VCOM was a perfect fit for me. Being on the campus of VA Tech is a big bonus. They also sent a nice Christmas card.

I was complete here on Nov. 29th, and now it's been a month exactly and I haven't heard back. I called last week and she said, it's ready to be reviewed...I guess they have off during the holidays causing them to not review applications??

Did anyone recently get an interview invite for Jan or Feb and when were you complete?

Last week, she told me only a little more than half of the class is full and if the people that just got accepted, pay the deposit, then about 2/3s of the class will be full...

I wish they review my application soon!

Anyone know the answer to this??? Thanks!!

Yes I think you can as long as there are spots available.. If that's what you all really want to do I'd contact them ASAP

got an interview for January...pretty excited about it...I have heard that it is a good sign to get an interview here because they are supposedly pretty selective when it comes to granting interviews...has anyone heard anything else or would care to elaborate?

Congrats on the interview. I'm a second year at VCOM, if you have any questions you can PM me anytime. I don't know how selective VCOM is but I know that they do a good job in picking like minded students, students that want to serve the underserved and just feelings about medicine in general....good luck!!

Anyone interviewing tomorrow? I got into Blacksburg this morning. Staying at the Comfort inn. PM me if you want to have a chat

Any one else also interviewing Feb 1? VCOM is my unequivocal first choice, and I am beyond excited.