VCOM rotations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

telomer22

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I was wondering if any anyone is familiar with the VCOM rotation system? I have two rotation sites in mind since they will be 1 hour drive from my SO. What are my chances of getting the particular rotation?
Thank you for your help! :)

Members don't see this ad.

I'm am pretty sure there's like a match system for rotation sites. You list your top choices and provide reasoning why those are your choices. Some people will have family in certain places or ties to an area and are probably given first dibs on a specific spot for that reason.

I'm am pretty sure there's like a match system for rotation sites. You list your top choices and provide reasoning why those are your choices. Some people will have family in certain places or ties to an area and are probably given first dibs on a specific spot for that reason.
Yup. Technically they give special treatment to people with children in school or with special needs, people with disabled family members for whom they play a large part in their care, or married VCOM students requesting placement together. But you are given the opportunity to give reasons, and so people who have spouses / fiancee do still have an unofficial leg up.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am a student at VCOM. It is a VERY flawed system. It is said that family, children, and spouses get priority. However, this usually means that you match in your very last choice. (extremely rural areas of virginia with no clinical experience to be offered, or even other states)

That being said, the only true criteria is your relationship with the faculty. Anyone in organizations who have a lot of positive interactions with the faculty will get their first choice no matter what. The system is based off of one or two individuals who often choose based on how much they like the student. Many students that have spoken out against faculty have gotten their last choice despite availability at other rotations sites.

Last edited:
I am a student at VCOM. It is a VERY flawed system. It is said that family, children, and spouses get priority. However, this usually means that you match in your very last choice. (extremely rural areas of virginia with no clinical experience to be offered, or even other states)

That being said, the only true criteria is your relationship with the faculty. Anyone in organizations who have a lot of positive interactions with the faculty will get their first choice no matter what. The system is based off of one or two individuals who often choose based on how much they like the student. Many students that have spoken out against faculty have gotten their last choice despite availability at other rotations sites.

Holy hell man. Quit bumping dead VCOM threads.

Reactions: 5 users
Sorry Lol. Just trying to help hopeful students avoid some torture. Neglected to check the date on this one.

Well, the least happy are often the most loud. Do your classmates share your sentiment?

Reactions: 2 users