Vet School Rants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I had plans to speak to the administration about it even before he cancelled on me tonight. When people fail, our school has both objective and subjective aspects in the decision to whether or not you get kicked out, have to repeat the year, or get to advance. If he's not making the effort I really think they need to know that. I'm not a huge fan of the kid, but since I was specifically asked to help him I agreed. I'm glad you all don't think I'm being irrational about this.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I was asked by the school to tutor a kid in clin path because he is failing and the final is soon. Tuesday, the guy cancels on me two hours before we'd scheduled to meet. Wednesday, we planned on meeting for two hours...we get 1 hour in and we've covered the two lectures (out of 15 total) that he'd looked at. Okay, we make plans to meet again Friday evening. Friday afternoon he calls and asks questions about a class I'd already told him I wasn't comfortable tutoring him in (because its been a year since I took it and I hadn't reviewed anything from it) and he asks to put tutoring clin path off until Sunday. That's fine, whatever. I text him tonight to make sure he's coming and now he wants to wait until Tuesday. I'm really frustrated at this point since this is the third time he's bailed on me. I'm putting off my own studying so I can review material I learned a year ago just so I can help him and he's blowing me off. Maybe he doesn't realize I've been preparing before our scheduled meetings so I can really help him, but the lack of respect for someone else's time is just making me frustrated.

I'm having the same problem from the opposite end. I'm not failing exactly, but felt like I needed extra help so my professor recommended me for a tutor. It's been three weeks since my tutor was assigned, the final exam is a week away, and we haven't even met once yet. Between snow days, inconvenient availability, and her tendency to wait until the absolute last minute to reply to my emails, we keep cancelling and rescheduling all our meetings. It is extremely frustrating.

I'm having the same problem from the opposite end. I'm not failing exactly, but felt like I needed extra help so my professor recommended me for a tutor. It's been three weeks since my tutor was assigned, the final exam is a week away, and we haven't even met once yet. Between snow days, inconvenient availability, and her tendency to wait until the absolute last minute to reply to my emails, we keep cancelling and rescheduling all our meetings. It is extremely frustrating.

You want me to tutor you BD? What's the subject? You can switch tutors if you're having issues. PM if you need a hand.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
You want me to tutor you BD? What's the subject? You can switch tutors if you're having issues. PM if you need a hand.

Aw, thanks, I really appreciate that! I've been reviewing on my own for the past week or so and I think I will be okay. It just sucks that I've wasted so much time trying to schedule meetings that were never going to happen.

thank goodness for people like you! teeth are on my list of reasons i could never be a GP!

Hahahaha

I've really considered attempting to go for a dental residency because I really really love teeth. Complex extractions are soo fun! But we will see, I'm not sure if I want to put myself through an internship and then a 3yr res, if I can even get into one lol.

I may just be a GP whose "thing" is dentistry lol

I think teeth are super neat (especially bunny teeth!), and wish we got more hands on stuff with them in the curriculum - dentistry is a super sought after clinical rotation for us.

Teeth are gross. They are important, and I'm glad there are people who like to work with them (just like I'm glad I have a dentist). But to me... Ew. No.

Ugh. Had an accidental needle stick in the cadaver lab the other day. There's nothing quite as embarrassing as watching a tenured professor leave twenty students to fend for themselves so she can go find a band-aid for my boo boo. (Sterile needle, fortunately, so it was just a matter of embarrassment and not *ohmygod-I'm-gonna-die-of-the-deathococcus!*)

Had a really, really rough final exam yesterday. 16 questions, 100% of the grade. Scary enough, but maybe 50% of those 16 questions came from something he might have mentioned in one of his tangenital stories or rants and maybe one or two of those from the actual hard copy notes and a couple were really poorly/confusingly worded. The rest I only might have had a chance on because I'd taken all the other cow classes in school. I'm terrified I didn't pass although all of my classmates who had just as bad a time of it are assuming he'll somehow wiggle the grades to make it work for us (don't know how you do that with all MC and three FIB...) It was just so disheartening.

Had a really, really rough final exam yesterday. 16 questions, 100% of the grade. Scary enough, but maybe 50% of those 16 questions came from something he might have mentioned in one of his tangenital stories or rants and maybe one or two of those from the actual hard copy notes and a couple were really poorly/confusingly worded. The rest I only might have had a chance on because I'd taken all the other cow classes in school. I'm terrified I didn't pass although all of my classmates who had just as bad a time of it are assuming he'll somehow wiggle the grades to make it work for us (don't know how you do that with all MC and three FIB...) It was just so disheartening.

So sorry, redhead. I avoid his classes like the plague for that exact reason. :(

Members don't see this ad :)
So sorry, redhead. I avoid his classes like the plague for that exact reason. :(

That's the thing though...his other two electives were within expectations. Still short exams but the questions (aside from some badly worded ones and one or two tricky ones) could still be called fair. This one was just like one big eff you slap in the face. I dunno if he wanted to take his chance to remind us how little we know before clinics or what. Sigh.

We have only been back from break for two days and the course organizer already can't get his act together. We pay for printed notes at the beginning of each year. It would be really nice to have those notes available during lecture. It is really hard to sit and listen to lecture (for me) without either following along reading or writing notes, so when I don't have the notes I try to copy some info from the powerpoints, but it is impossible to do that when the professors move from slide to slide really fast. Last year they gave the course notes for the entire semester to the whole class at once in a nice binder (this was for c/o 2015). This year they told us we would get notes as each body system comes up, but they have been late on getting notes to us for almost all of the systems. Their excuse for not giving notes to us at the beginning of the year was because, "we don't want you to get too overwhelmed and attempt to go ahead." Um, first, I can't keep up most of the time. Second, if I really wanted to read ahead isn't that MY choice? Technically, the school advice center here for studying recommends that you read/skim the lecture ahead of time, so you are making it impossible for us to follow the school's advice (not that I do that anyway), but still. Their other reason for not giving the notes all at once was because sometimes professors want to change some of the notes or add things, ok, then tell us that at lecture and I will write it down or change what needs to be changed. I don't see any good reason why lecture notes can not be available at the beginning of the semester for each year when they have been for prior years and when the vast majority of the professors re-use their notes/powerpoints from the year before anyway. Just really frustrated because I would love to study neurology right now while lectures are still somewhat in my head, but I can't because there are no notes and nothing is posted online. :rage:

/end rant.

I'm bumping this thread: new semester, new rants.

My rant? When they have scheduled "lab time," but it just turns out to be 1-3 more hours of jam-packed lecture. I don't specifically mind the extra hours of lecture (okay, maybe I do a little..), but why must you get our hopes up when we look at the online schedule? Also, who in the world thinks 3 hours of nutrition in a row is a good idea? Bleh.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm bumping this thread: new semester, new rants.

My rant? When they have scheduled "lab time," but it just turns out to be 1-3 more hours of jam-packed lecture. I don't specifically mind the extra hours of lecture (okay, maybe I do a little..), but why must you get our hopes up when we look at the online schedule? Also, who in the world thinks 3 hours of nutrition in a row is a good idea? Bleh.

We had an issue with this last semester, and the professors actually got chastised for it. Here, you're allowed to have multiple hours of laboratory per single credit hour, but 50 minutes of lecture is supposed to equal one credit. So when they were lecturing for >1hr during laboratory time, it was breaking university regulations and some people take that more seriously than others.

So when they were lecturing for >1hr during laboratory time, it was breaking university regulations and some people take that more seriously than others.

More seriously than the vet student union mandated 10 minute breaks between classes!?

Oh how I don't miss the heightened tensions across the entire lecture hall when professors went over. It was too suspenseful for me to bear, and it's not like anyone who even wanted to listen could hear the prof amongst all the grumbling and backpack zippering.

The best part was always that one student who couldn't seem to read the situation at the very end when we all finally thought it was over, and just had to raise his/her hand to ask one last question as the most impatient people were angrily popping out of their seats. Really awkward moment for the rest of the class who all have their butts half lifted off their seats.

More seriously than the vet student union mandated 10 minute breaks between classes!?

Oh how I don't miss the heightened tensions across the entire lecture hall when professors went over. It was too suspenseful for me to bear, and it's not like anyone who even wanted to listen could hear the prof amongst all the grumbling and backpack zippering.

The best part was always that one student who couldn't seem to read the situation at the very end when we all finally thought it was over, and just had to raise his/her hand to ask one last question as the most impatient people were angrily popping out of their seats. Really awkward moment for the rest of the class who all have their butts half lifted off their seats.

I really, really hate it when lecturers go over... I want my 10 minutes...

The worst part about them going over time is that they know they are doing it and so they speed through the info and nobody can comprehend it. So it ends up getting read at a later time anyway.

It would be so much better for the lecturer to just say, "ok, class is over, read through the next x number of slides, if you have any questions we will discuss them next class." Instead they waste their time and our time with speeding through the info that nobody is listening to or retaining. :yeahright:

/end soapbox.

Dc7shZq.jpg

Insert "vet" before school and it sounds about right

Reactions: 7 users
It would be so much better for the lecturer to just say, "ok, class is over, read through the next x number of slides, if you have any questions we will discuss them next class."

But that would be an infringement on another vet student union mandate that students shall not be tested on material not gone over in class!

The seething anger of people gathering outside the classroom after an exam when something like that happens is another thing I don't miss about vet school.

Having a full week of class during finals week really bums me out :(. I understand finishing up lectures, but can we not start IP4 material until... I don't know, IP4?