Vet School Rants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Haha, I've definitely heard all of these, but one I haven't seen mentioned... we had a Dutch resident teaching us and he said ezo-PHA-gus (esophagus). I'm not sure if I'm getting the pronunciation across, but it was very different and it took the class awhile to figure out what he was saying.

Members don't see this ad.

ya'll crack me up - we have all sorts of foreign accents and professors here, this is so common for us! i'm pretty sure several of these are part of my vocabulary now too...

also, it's res-peer-e-tree :p

I have actually realized that a few of these have become normal for me. I am definitely going to get some odd looks the first time I say capillary when I go back home. Because, ca-PILL-ary has stuck with me.

Another one that they say here, anaemia = an I me a. I just can't bring myself to say that one. It is still ann e me a to me.

Haha, I've definitely heard all of these, but one I haven't seen mentioned... we had a Dutch resident teaching us and he said ezo-PHA-gus (esophagus). I'm not sure if I'm getting the pronunciation across, but it was very different and it took the class awhile to figure out what he was saying.

I haven't heard oesophagus pronounced any different here, just the spelling is different. I have heard duodenum pronounced different... not sure I can explain it in typing. I will try...

UK: Duo - dee - num

US: Do - aud- num

I think I got that right, I can't even recall which way is US vs. UK anymore... :laugh:

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
There's a large Canadian/American difference on this, I think.

Lemme see if I have it right, this crap has blended together for me.

ca-PILL-ary = Canadian
CAP-illary = American

right?

Oh my god I never realized that's where I got ca-PILL-ary from. My family's Canadian, and mom's a nurse. I got SO many weird looks when I first starting working at a clinic, I've reformed to the 'murcan pronounciation now.

I haven't heard oesophagus pronounced any different here, just the spelling is different. I have heard duodenum pronounced different... not sure I can explain it in typing. I will try...

I think I got that right, I can't even recall which way is US vs. UK anymore... :laugh:
My German anatomy professor tends to pronounce it both ways whenever he says it. So I'm not sure which is the US pronunciation either anymore.

Huh, I say duodeenum and a Canadian classmate says duo-aud-num. I've heard it both ways int he us, but it may be region even within the country.

Oh yeah, there's another one. I say doo-ah-den-um while a lot of U.S. people say dwah-den-um.

I get that we're in a pass/fail elective that takes place during our lunch hour and that we're all only taking this class so that we can get money from the school to go on international trips... but please don't talk to your neighbor about your dogs through the whole thing, every single class. You're distracting when I actually want to listen to what's going on, and I know you think you're whispering, but it's really obvious in the half empty classroom that you're talking to each other and it's rude, especially when we have guest speakers talking. :mad:

I get that we're in a pass/fail elective that takes place during our lunch hour and that we're all only taking this class so that we can get money from the school to go on international trips... but please don't talk to your neighbor about your dogs through the whole thing, every single class. You're distracting when I actually want to listen to what's going on, and I know you think you're whispering, but it's really obvious in the half empty classroom that you're talking to each other and it's rude, especially when we have guest speakers talking. :mad:

I dunno what it is, but lately there have been at least two foci of whispering in our classes even well after class has started and it takes every measure of control I have not to glare at them.

Members don't see this ad :)
I dunno what it is, but lately there have been at least two foci of whispering in our classes even well after class has started and it takes every measure of control I have not to glare at them.

This is where I like the British students... they will tell you to STFU or leave; they don't hold back.

Reactions: 1 user
It's not a vet class, ti's just chem, but we have these two girls in my class and every week during lecture my professor is going over something important, like this past week it was the basics of redox reactions. Literally every week these two girls whisper about something then start giggling uncontrollably. SERIOUSLY STOP AND DO IT OVER BREAK. I am a little frustrated that my professor hasn't said anything either. I feel like it's extremely disrespectful to him.

A slightly off-topic question (although it might induce some ranting): Do you guys find that your teachers try to avoid scheduling their exams all at the same time? Or is there no attempts to communicate regarding the class calendar among profs?

I ask this because I have 4 exams and 2 papers for the next week and the question crossed my mind. :shrug:

A slightly off-topic question (although it might induce some ranting): Do you guys find that your teachers try to avoid scheduling their exams all at the same time? Or is there no attempts to communicate regarding the class calendar among profs?

I ask this because I have 4 exams and 2 papers for the next week and the question crossed my mind. :shrug:
For us at least, the schedules are very coordinated, so our exams are generally pretty fairly spread out... but there are exceptions. Like last week. They're generally willing to listen to a request for a change (through appropriate channels, of course), but the response is not usually exceptionally good. Sometimes they're like, "oh yeah, that does kinda suck, get a unanimous class vote and we'll change it" (102 people voting unanimously on something? ha!) And sometimes it's, "well the reason we scheduled it that way in the first place was because that was the only way it worked". And other times, we get, "I know you guys are having a rough week, and I gave you this more time consuming than usual assignment to do," then a pause during which we think, oh yay, he'll postpone or change it, then he goes on to make a stupid not helpful comment. And my personal favorites (more in reference to the structure of the classes as a whole than the exam schedule), "There's always going to be some bumps along the way when you roll out a new curriculum, but we value your feedback..." and "we'll have to fix that for next year, that's why we love getting you're feedback." But that being said some are really good at trying to help us out... they just often don't have the means to make the changes actually happen. Sometimes if they can't fix the exam schedule, they'll go out of their way to do other things to help us out, like giving us an extra study guide, or like our wonderful anatomy teacher who comes in on the weekends before exams to answer last minute questions since that's when the students have time to come in.

Every school will probably differ a little. We've rarely had more than one exam in a day; I think third year is the only time it's possible because we have electives then. I have had two in one day, but that was due to one getting pushed back a day for a snowstorm. We can move things around. Once we get the schedule at the beginning of the semester, we have two weeks to moves stuff. We can vote on what we'd like to move and where, and as long as a) we have a majority vote, b) the professor is available for the time slot we want, and c) they can find a room for us, we usually get it. We managed to rework our finals schedule so that instead of writing the last exam on May 2 and then going into clinics on May 5, we write the last one on April 28 and then we have a bit of a break before clinics.

we never have more than 1 exam in a day. the rest of our schedule is a disaster, but all the professors have at least agreed on a mostly reasonable exam schedule

It's really frustrating when professors don't post notes, or their notes won't load and I spend all class trying to get them :yeahright:

Hate this. Especially since I like to take notes on my tablet. If they're not up, then I have to switch to my computer because our IT person can usually get them up within 5 minutes of class starting, but then it takes too long to load on my tablet and I end up being like 20 slides behind. =(

ETA: Although, I do have to say I have new respect/appreciation for professors. I was at leadership conference this weekend sponsored by VLE and we had a few professors in attendance. They shared some stores that made me realize how cruel some students can be towards them. It's actually kind of ridiculous.

Per our syllabus, one of the classes were' starting this week won't record any of the lectures. Pretty much every other lecture has the audio recorded so you can relisten to lectures later. I'm super annoyed because I learn by relistening to lectures and don't like asking questions in the middle of class because we always get behind.
Can't you bring a tape recorder to class? I used to do that when I went to vet school because no one recorded lectures or gave us prepared notes beforehand. If you missed a class, you got notes from a friend or you were just out of luck.

Loans for fourth year. :diebanana:

And it turned out that my problem was self inflicted. I failed to read something, and now I feel bad for making the woman on the phone think it was an IT issue on their end. Can I blame this on vet school? It's taking up all my mental RAM leaving no room for simple tasks like reading. I'll see myself out. :whoa:

Can't you bring a tape recorder to class? I used to do that when I went to vet school because no one recorded lectures or gave us prepared notes beforehand. If you missed a class, you got notes from a friend or you were just out of luck.

Most likely not. If our classes aren't recorded it's because that particular professor doesn't want anything recorded. He teaches another one of our classes as well and it doesn't let that one be recorded either.

Vet School politics.

Thats all.

UUUUGGGGHHHH

Dear Instructors At My School,

Please stop assigning us stupid projects that involve us recording videos of ourselves trying to say intelligible things in very short periods of time which end up sounding like a bunch of nonsensible BS because we're nervous about recording ourselves (knowing that we have to watch each other's) and are more concerned with whether we have something stuck in our teeth than what we're actually saying.

Sincerely,
A self conscious vet student (and 100 of her classmates)

PS: I'd be very happy to much more thoroughly discuss any of these topics in essay form, in exchange for not having to record these videos.

ARGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Starting to get annoyed with the hours of vet school. Not really due them being long days, I'm just getting sick of playing phone tag with every single freaking person I have to talk to lately. Especially when it deals with getting insurance bills sorted out.

Class ended 7 minutes ago, and our professors still lecturing... my lunch class starts in 3 minutes and I have to heat up my lunch still.... come on!!!

Class ended 7 minutes ago, and our professors still lecturing... my lunch class starts in 3 minutes and I have to heat up my lunch still.... come on!!!
Someone sitting near me has delicious smelling hot pizza during our lunch class and I'm eating the random assortment of string cheese, applesauce, and chips that I grabbed last minute after remembering there was a class this hour... it smells sooo good... :p

Someone sitting near me has delicious smelling hot pizza during our lunch class and I'm eating the random assortment of string cheese, applesauce, and chips that I grabbed last minute after remembering there was a class this hour... it smells sooo good... :p
Well, it's all gone and eaten now (mmmm it was tasty)... so no more torture for you ;)

not a rant, but that really embarrassing moment where your professor writes that it's safe to give up to FIVE mEq/kg/hr of potassium in fluids, and then endorses it in class :O good thing some caught it because he keeps telling us not to memorize his equations and instead to go back and look them up in clinics using his notes!

not a rant, but that really embarrassing moment where your professor writes that it's safe to give up to FIVE mEq/kg/hr of potassium in fluids, and then endorses it in class :O good thing some caught it because he keeps telling us not to memorize his equations and instead to go back and look them up in clinics using his notes!

Yikes!

i think i am going to die with the insane workload we have over the next few weeks...
exam monday, presentation monday afternoon, 4 afternoons of ambulatory medicine rotations, ambulatory article review due friday. exam monday, 3 days of surgery rotation, PBL final exam friday followed by surgery case presentation. exam on monday. ahhhhh:scared:

i think i am going to die with the insane workload we have over the next few weeks...
exam monday, presentation monday afternoon, 4 afternoons of ambulatory medicine rotations, ambulatory article review due friday. exam monday, 3 days of surgery rotation, PBL final exam friday followed by surgery case presentation. exam on monday. ahhhhh:scared:
SGU has PBL?? :O

ETA: good luck this week! :D

SGU has PBL?? :O

ETA: good luck this week! :D
we have 6th term "selective" classes that include advanced exotic animal medicine, advanced cardiology, advanced equine medicine, problem based learning, and advanced parasitology. you are required and only allowed to take 2 of the 5.

I am getting so darn sick of all the group projects right now. I usually love group work. But I feel like we've reached that point in the year when we're all sick of each other and the passive aggressiveness that seems to be underlying all my various groups makes me want to scream. And it doesn't help that I seem to be the only person that ever wants to openly (but politely) disagree with someone in the group (in the interest of producing a better end product), so I feel like I'm just becoming the bad guy that nobody likes. Sorry if I actually want to do a good job on these projects and not just "get it done?" I guess that's what I get for moving to the land of overly friendly, passive aggressive people. I never thought of myself as an aggressive or intense person and my level of sarcasm/cynicism was generally socially acceptable... then I moved to Minnesota.

me are getting so darn sick of all the group projects right now. me usually love group work. But me feel like we've reached that point in the year when we're all sick of each other and the passive aggressiveness that seems to be underlying all my various groups makes me want to scream. And it doesn't help that me seem to be the only person that ever wants to openly (but politely) disagree with someone in the group (in the interest of producing a better end product), so me feel like me are just becoming the bad guy that nobody likes. Sorry if me actually want to do a good job on these projects and not just "get it done?" me guess that's what me get for moving to the land of overly freindly, passive aggressive people. me never thought of myself as an aggressive or intense person and my level of sarcasm/cynicism was generally socially acceptable... then me moved to Minnesota.

At least you can read this again in a caveman voice and have a chuckle, for what it's worth.

At least you can read this again in a caveman voice and have a chuckle, for what it's worth.

I'm really confused... what just happened?

EDIT: Never mind...

apparently our toxicology exam on monday is now suddenly cumulative...not sure how much to believe of this...if its true its a MASSIVE slap in the face. for now, my skeptical face is on:eyebrow:

Okay, so not cumulative, but the amount of anger and stress currently being projected by my classmates has me in stitches! People need to breathe a little and roll with the punches more. Nothing about this semester is perfect, but nothing is the end of the world either!

Last edited: