Vet School Rants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is this supposed to incite some sort of epic forum battle?

How are you a vet with over 1k posts but you have never posted in the vet section?
He's pre-med.

Members don't see this ad.

Now that's the kind of maturity I want to see in my physician...;)

Reactions: 3 users
Is this supposed to incite some sort of epic forum battle?

How are you a vet with over 1k posts but you have never posted in the vet section?
It was a April Fools thang. :eek: I'm a pre-medical student which is so much cooler. :p
Carry on. ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Now that's the kind of maturity I want to see in my physician...;)
I heard you guys have fun over here, so I came and took a look. Pshhh us pre-meds/med students have the fun. If you guys come over to see how some REAL physicians troll us, it's all fun and games on the forums. :thumbup:

I heard you guys have fun over here, so I came and took a look. Pshhh us pre-meds/med students have the fun. If you guys come over to see how some REAL physicians troll us, it's all fun and games on the forums. :thumbup:
jennifer-lawrence-10.gif

Reactions: 1 users

We don't get too many trolls... isn't that a pity. You go back to allo and have fun with the constant barrage of noobs worried about their 3.8GPA.

We don't get too many trolls... isn't that a pity. You go back to allo and have fun with the constant barrage of noobs worried about their 3.8GPA.
Tell me about it. It's really dumb, some of them could even get into Harvard and if they think their Ec's suck they freak out. Just the other day this freshman made a thread title "bad semester" something like that he had gotten A- and B's on his classes.
639.gif

My guess would be participating in self-validation 101.

3 hour long epidemiology lecture due to snow days! :arghh: ETA: 3+hours! We were only scheduled to stay until 4:20 and it's 4:30 and he's showing no signs of stopping! That's cool, I love epidemiology and I have nothing else to do.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
3 hour long epidemiology lecture due to snow days! :arghh: ETA: 3+hours! We were only scheduled to stay until 4:20 and it's 4:30 and he's showing no signs of stopping! That's cool, I love epidemiology and I have nothing else to do.

I missed the first hour in favor of curry. Fabulous life choice.

Fabulous life choices indeed, TooLove. Anything that's not epi > epi

I actually think epi as a discipline is pretty interesting, I just have yet to see an interesting way to teach it. The only lectures in that class that I enjoyed was Dr S-H covering an actual outbreak case that she had done.

Members don't see this ad :)
Group projects. Having to evaluate all of your great group-mates on the work so far. Then being told that you're "not allowed" to give everyone in the group full points, and in fact the best you can do if you think everyone participated well is 8.4/10 each. What??

Thankfully there was a widespread outcry and we talked the professor out of this idea... but what?? We started school being told to drop the competitive spirit and we're all colleagues now working together, and oh yeah we're in professional school, and yet you try to pull something like that? Come on... just stop it...

Group projects. Having to evaluate all of your great group-mates on the work so far. Then being told that you're "not allowed" to give everyone in the group full points, and in fact the best you can do if you think everyone participated well is 8.4/10 each. What??

Thankfully there was a widespread outcry and we talked the professor out of this idea... but what?? We started school being told to drop the competitive spirit and we're all colleagues now working together, and oh yeah we're in professional school, and yet you try to pull something like that? Come on... just stop it...

I ran into something similar where we had to share points and any that went to one person had to be taken off someone else. Stupid.

Yes, tell us on a friday night that we have to do a group project/presentation that's due in a week and was mentioned nowhere in the syllabus nor at any point in the class up until now. It's not like we don't have like 5 other group projects going on now that we have to coordinate with a whole bunch of different groups to do... but, surprise! We're going to throw a new group into the mix! Who cares that we're all to busy to coordinate our schedules outside of class and end up having to do all the work over google docs, which, you know, kinda defeats the whole point of group projects.

Yes, tell us on a friday night that we have to do a group project/presentation that's due in a week and was mentioned nowhere in the syllabus nor at any point in the class up until now. It's not like we don't have like 5 other group projects going on now that we have to coordinate with a whole bunch of different groups to do... but, surprise! We're going to throw a new group into the mix! Who cares that we're all to busy to coordinate our schedules outside of class and end up having to do all the work over google docs, which, you know, kinda defeats the whole point of group projects.

Yeah WTF is this??? We don't have time for this!

Yeah WTF is this??? We don't have time for this!
I'm waiting for someone (I have a few specific candidates in mind) to start freaking out on facebook. I think the only reason it hasn't happened yet is because it's a friday night and people aren't checking their email.

i feel like my brain has melted out of my skull through my ears. i dont know nearly enough medicine to be useful, and the smidge of common sense i had acquired from life before starting school is so far gone that i'm a complete ***** in basically any scenario other than school. and in school, i'm just stupid. i feel like there is no way i will possibly survive living in a normal society being a real person!

I am just done with this semester. I can't focus on studying and the endless group projects looming ahead of me are sucking out any last vestiges of willpower. I just want it to be over. And I have an anatomy exam tomorrow that I cannot for the life of me study for. blaaaaaaaaah

Each weekend I always say I'm going to get caught up and there just never seems to be enough hours in the weekend to do so... I guess there is always next weekend? *laugh*

Each weekend I always say I'm going to get caught up and there just never seems to be enough hours in the weekend to do so... I guess there is always next weekend? *laugh*

Oh man, you should just totally let go of that mindset, it's sooooooo freeing when you do! Best decision in my life was when I decided that I don't do anything vet school related on as many weekends as I possibly could. (worked great for my relationship until my *sshole ex dumped me)

Oh man, you should just totally let go of that mindset, it's sooooooo freeing when you do! Best decision in my life was when I decided that I don't do anything vet school related on as many weekends as I possibly could. (worked great for my relationship until my *sshole ex dumped me)

You know, I really should... but there is a rare weekend I DO get caught up. Now with it being spring we are so busy with everything that I think it is just impossible now with everything going on.

haha i say that a lot, and then i decide to instead spend that time diving instead. usually leads to better grades anyways

That sounds fantastic but I think I would flunk out of vet school in record time. I never manage to get much done on weekdays after class, so I need that weekend catch up time!

haha i say that a lot, and then i decide to instead spend that time diving instead. usually leads to better grades anyways
Unfortunately, I am really missing being on the east coast, but I can at least say that CoMo is VERY dog friendly and Beamer is my major distraction out here through walking/hiking all the trails :) Though diving sounds fantastic ;)

Unfortunately, I am really missing being on the east coast, but I can at least say that CoMo is VERY dog friendly and Beamer is my major distraction out here through walking/hiking all the trails :) Though diving sounds fantastic ;)
Sampson enjoys his walks on the beach - he spends the first half dragging me along looking for ghost crabs to chase and then he realizes that its sunny and hot and he's mostly black and very fluffy and he slows down haha. i'm a big fan of personal health and wellness anyways. just because it happens to lead to better grades when i procrastinate...well, heh. oops

I feel like I'm 50/50 when I procrastinate- depends on the subject. Beamer would be in heaven on the beach! He was rolling in some mud puddles just yesterday since that was the only bit of water he could find until we made it back to the creek. Goofy boy :p He does get me outside and walking, which I love to do! Just wish I had more time to do it!

Ugh I am frustrated with my brain! I cannot tell you how many test or quiz questions I get wrong simply because I don't read the question right (instead of which is correct I read which is incorrect or vice versa...) I hate throwing points down the drain

So uh, anyone ever had to deal with their school being on Accreditation Probation by the AVMA?

Did everything work out alright? We're having a meeting about it Thursday (canceled a beloved lunch and learn to do so) to discuss what it means.

Ugh I am frustrated with my brain! I cannot tell you how many test or quiz questions I get wrong simply because I don't read the question right (instead of which is correct I read which is incorrect or vice versa...) I hate throwing points down the drain

If you find yourself doing that (and it's a paper exam or quiz) then write on it? If it says "which of these is INCORRECT" then write FALSE really big next to it and label each statement as T or F. Or something like that. I use a system of check marks and Xs, and even that helps me know which one is different, no matter if I know what the question is looking for or not.

That's a pet peeve of mine: knowing the answer but getting the question wrong because I misread it, or the question was worded weird, or there were multiple right answers and you were expected to pick the "most" right (grrr).....

Totally with ya.

I totally agree with TT. Almost all of our exams are on the computer but we are given paper to write on.. If the question is looking for the "correct" answer I write the number and 'correct about _blank_" then I go through the choices and X out a-d if they are incorrect.. If I end up with 2 that may be correct I usually skip it and circle the number and come back to it in the end. I find that this has really helped me with the stupid what is correct or incorrect questions.

It's starting to get annoyed with how angry my family gets with me for not being available right when they want me to be. I'm not the best at returning calls (I'm working on improving that) so I know it's partially my fault, but my mom just got all pissed with me because I can't do dinner with her this Saturday because I'm working and don't really want to come home for Easter (I live 1.5 hours away) because we have an Anesthesia test on Tuesday, Infectious Dz test Friday and I have a Foal Sitting Shift on the Saturday before Easter for 6 hours and really can't afford to give up both days. She thinks I'm trying to throw away all holidays with my families (which isn't the case) but it seems like she forgets that I was almost going to vet school out of the state, heck even out of the country, and most definitely wouldn't be coming home for more minor (as in amount of time people typically get off) holidays.

We did IV catheters in horses today. According to the profs, I managed to get the worst horse in the barn. Okay, more accurately, the horse was just fine. She was a total doll and super patient. Her veins on the other hand... I really, really struggled and it didn't help that everyone else seemed to breeze through it. The prof assured me it wasn't my fault, but I just didn't need this on my first go and with clinics so close. Feeling pretty lousy right now, and zero motivation to study for our radiology final tomorrow. :lame:

This summer I am going to be living in a cardboard box panhandling for cash. Thanks for the lack of financial aid.

So uh, anyone ever had to deal with their school being on Accreditation Probation by the AVMA?
Yes. I didn't think Tuskegee was on probation at the moment? We had a meeting with our dean a few weeks ago. If you're admitted into the school when it's accredited, you'll graduate as an accredited DVM.

I love teaching myself all about the B cell portion part of our Immuno class since no one can understand our professor who is teaching this part... our exam is next week. Great...

I love teaching myself all about the B cell portion part of our Immuno class since no one can understand our professor who is teaching this part... our exam is next week. Great...

I taught myself the entirety of immunology because our professor is... I try not to be mean, but "absolutely brilliant but totally useless as a teacher" comes to mind.

Khan Academy and Handwritten Tutorials are your friend.

Reactions: 2 users
I taught myself the entirety of immunology because our professor is... I try not to be mean, but "absolutely brilliant but totally useless as a teacher" comes to mind.

Khan Academy and Handwritten Tutorials are your friend.

I'll have to look at these later today, thanks- I totally appreciate it.

I was asked by the school to tutor a kid in clin path because he is failing and the final is soon. Tuesday, the guy cancels on me two hours before we'd scheduled to meet. Wednesday, we planned on meeting for two hours...we get 1 hour in and we've covered the two lectures (out of 15 total) that he'd looked at. Okay, we make plans to meet again Friday evening. Friday afternoon he calls and asks questions about a class I'd already told him I wasn't comfortable tutoring him in (because its been a year since I took it and I hadn't reviewed anything from it) and he asks to put tutoring clin path off until Sunday. That's fine, whatever. I text him tonight to make sure he's coming and now he wants to wait until Tuesday. I'm really frustrated at this point since this is the third time he's bailed on me. I'm putting off my own studying so I can review material I learned a year ago just so I can help him and he's blowing me off. Maybe he doesn't realize I've been preparing before our scheduled meetings so I can really help him, but the lack of respect for someone else's time is just making me frustrated.

I was asked by the school to tutor a kid in clin path because he is failing and the final is soon. Tuesday, the guy cancels on me two hours before we'd scheduled to meet. Wednesday, we planned on meeting for two hours...we get 1 hour in and we've covered the two lectures (out of 15 total) that he'd looked at. Okay, we make plans to meet again Friday evening. Friday afternoon he calls and asks questions about a class I'd already told him I wasn't comfortable tutoring him in (because its been a year since I took it and I hadn't reviewed anything from it) and he asks to put tutoring clin path off until Sunday. That's fine, whatever. I text him tonight to make sure he's coming and now he wants to wait until Tuesday. I'm really frustrated at this point since this is the third time he's bailed on me. I'm putting off my own studying so I can review material I learned a year ago just so I can help him and he's blowing me off. Maybe he doesn't realize I've been preparing before our scheduled meetings so I can really help him, but the lack of respect for someone else's time is just making me frustrated.

Since you were asked by the school I would go to them and explain the situation. To me this shows he's not committed to wanting the tutoring which as you said is wasting your time and is extremely inconsiderate!

Yeah, as a tutor myself, I wouldn't be putting up with that. I would be telling him flat out that you have other commitments and that you need time to prepare for his sessions, and if he's not going to take this seriously, you will be unable to continue working with him. I usually tell my students from the get-go, "Hey, I haven't done this in 2 years, please let me know exactly what you want to go over so I can review it myself." That way they know that I have to do work ahead of time. He's a big boy now, he's in vet school. He needs to be responsible.