Vet School Rants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You know that annoying moment when you realize that you may have GROSSLY underestimated the amount of material for an exam, and oh, you totally missed one lecture entirely? Having one of those moments. Exam in 14 hours. And I've had way too much caffeine today and my stomach is rebelling with some pretty outstanding cramps.

Well. If you haven't failed out yet you're not likely to now.

(That is exactly the lie I've been telling myself all semester when I show up unprepared for one exam after another.) :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Well. If you haven't failed out yet you're not likely to now.

(That is exactly the lie I've been telling myself all semester when I show up unprepared for one exam after another.) :)

That's what I keep telling myself too. Which is why I stopped studying 17 minutes ago, because How The Grinch Stole Christmas is on ABC.

Reactions: 2 users
after going on a 5 minute rant about how "pruritus" is not spelled pruritIS on the first day of our derm block, my professor will be pleased to know that i just looked up how to edit my word dictionary so that my misspelling is no longer present ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
I really hate my school email account.....42 MB?? Seriously?? I'm a bit of an email hoarder....I love to keep record of everything and sort into folders as I get it. However, this is freaking impossible. I have to empty my inbox essentially every 2 weeks. It also won't let me delete through Microsoft Outlook or my phone....I have to sign into the stupid webmail account to remove any emails and it's such a PITA.

Resp/CV phys prof also let us know that while he thought he had an extra 1.5 hr block this afternoon, turns out it's for Behaviour, so we're missing out on a lecture that will still be on the midterm. Really...can't we just cut out Behaviour....:rage:

I really hate my school email account.....42 MB?? Seriously?? I'm a bit of an email hoarder....I love to keep record of everything and sort into folders as I get it. However, this is freaking impossible. I have to empty my inbox essentially every 2 weeks. It also won't let me delete through Microsoft Outlook or my phone....I have to sign into the stupid webmail account to remove any emails and it's such a PITA.

Resp/CV phys prof also let us know that while he thought he had an extra 1.5 hr block this afternoon, turns out it's for Behaviour, so we're missing out on a lecture that will still be on the midterm. Really...can't we just cut out Behaviour....:rage:

Can't you just forward everything to Gmail?

Me right now:

look-at-all-this-work-i-have-not-done-yet-funny-meme-610x449.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
Can't you just forward everything to Gmail?

I can forward, but it doesn't give me the option to not leave a copy in the original account. So I have to go in there and delete either way. Which is SO stupid! lol

So, there is this girl that sits behind me in the lecture theatre and can not keep her feet to herself... she isn't even directly behind me, she is behind me and one seat over, yet she has her foot either resting right on the back of my chair or basically between me and the person next to me. Then, she can not sit still, so it is constant kicks, and movement and her putting her foot on the chair, then taking it off, then back on. It is annoying enough, but since I have this broken rib every bump sends a shockwave of pain through my chest... I have physically removed her foot from my chair numerous times... shoved it off my chair, etc.

Is it acceptable to break someone's foot in this case?

Have you told her that you have a broken rib and any jostling causes you excruciating pain and specifically asked her to stop? If she knows this and still does it, then my vote is "Yes."

Members don't see this ad :)
Have you told her that you have a broken rib and any jostling causes you excruciating pain and specifically asked her to stop? If she knows this and still does it, then my vote is "Yes."

I have asked her before to stop. It was before the broken rib thing, and she still does it. I just don't understand why people think putting their feet on chairs is ok. Maybe my parents taught me strangely, but I was taught to keep you feet off furniture.... :shrug:

Dearest classmate: The professor gave us a practice exam. Therefore, if you insist on posting on our class Facebook page 2 hours before the exam, asking what the format is, yes, you're going to get some snark from the rest of it. Deal with it.

The exam I'm studying for now isn't hard enough to scare me into studying much :\ I can't wait to be done with this semester!

Amen, sister. I'm trying to get a jump on cardiac. And did you also have a minor moment of, "OH GODS NOT OPHTHOMALOGY AGAIN?!" when looking at the ocular exam notes for tomorrow? Or was that just me? (There's nothing hard in the ocular exam notes; ophtho just makes me want to vomit.)

Last edited:
Professors who don't know how to keep their lectures within the allotted class time...please learn to do so. Last class (the week before break) the guy went straight for like 80 minutes without giving us a break which was supposed to happen after 50 min. He emailed us last night asking us to come 30 min early today, so 2.5 hour class instead of 2. Seriously?

Amen, sister. I'm trying to get a jump on cardiac. And did you also have a minor moment of, "OH GODS NOT OPHTHOMALOGY AGAIN?!" when looking at the ocular exam notes for tomorrow? Or was that just me? (There's nothing hard in the ocular exam notes; ophtho just makes me want to vomit.)

Hahah YES, I did! Neuro too but I at least liked neuro...

FS, that's my biggest pet peeve with professors. Sucks :(

this VIRMP application is making me want to seppuku

no really.

Not sure what part of the application you're feeling that way towards, but VIN is doing a thing on internships this Sunday on rounds. :)

Today's physiology test totally blindsided the entire class. Everyone had been doing today and then bam highest grade on the test is a 70%. A majority of people were in the low 60s. Lucky for us there is no curve. I love when professors test us over details that they admitted were wrong in their powerpoint but didn't explain at all. :bang:

You know life is going well when everyone did so poorly on a quiz that you have a chance to retake it. And then you retake it thinking you know which ones you got wrong and still get the same grade. A 50.

Hahah YES, I did! Neuro too but I at least liked neuro...

FS, that's my biggest pet peeve with professors. Sucks :(

Yeah, I mean I guess there are worse things but still. That's a pet peeve of mine and something that doesn't seem very professional. Granted things are fluid and can change as needed, but being in a class is an agreement between professor and student to each do their part and some things like that aren't fair to us. His marathon lecture was also following an exam and was our last class before Thanksgiving break was officially on, so it was doubly painful.

Not sure what part of the application you're feeling that way towards, but VIN is doing a thing on internships this Sunday on rounds. :)

the part where i have to write another personal statement with absolutely no guidance as to what anyone is looking for

dis sh is wack f it all and f VIN too tbh

Professors who don't know how to keep their lectures within the allotted class time...please learn to do so. Last class (the week before break) the guy went straight for like 80 minutes without giving us a break which was supposed to happen after 50 min. He emailed us last night asking us to come 30 min early today, so 2.5 hour class instead of 2. Seriously?

We wouldn't allow this to happen and neither would the University here. I really think that vet schools need to recognize that they are teaching people and we do have lives/plans/etc outside of school that need to be taken care of and dealt with. We have had a few professors show up significantly late for a lecture and they have had to reschedule because we won't allow them to run over (due to a few things, many of us having other classes after/last class of day and missing bus back to town sucks/they can't occupy the lecture theatre because there is another class coming in after/etc). It is absurd to expect people to change their schedule at the last minute to accommodate one person. I wonder if the school is aware that this professor does this? I am sure some schools wouldn't care but I think quite a few schools would actually back the students up on this one.

I think one of the biggest things that I dislike about vet school is that they expect the rest of my life to just collapse to the needs/requirements of vet school classes/labs/etc and that just isn't going to happen. I kind of refuse to allow that to happen, because I would go insane if I did.

Reactions: 1 users
Pharmacology is the worst. I have kept up all semester by outlining each lecture ( I'm not a gunner, I had to b/c we have weekly quizzes) and now it is time for the final. I have been at my desk studying since noon, will be here till at least midnight today, then will do the same tomorrow and I feel like I still might fail. FML!

Vet school has literally taken over my soul. I can't understand how I can hate something so much, yet not want to leave. And now not only does it already take over a lot of my time, but I have rotations for the next year and a half, which will take over my entire life. I now realise why most vets I talked to told me not to do it. What annoys me most is that a lot of this job is dealing with the stupid species that is the general public. Seriously, if I have to listen to people's stupid stories whilst smiling sweetly at them or listen to their lies (I mean if you're going to lie, at least make it believable and don't insult my intelligence) one more time I will jab a needle in them. If I wanted to deal with the uneducated masses for the rest of my life, I'd have been a doctor, and at least gotten paid well for it. FML .Rant over. :arghh:

Edit: I sound really mean in this. I am appreciative that I'm in vet school, honest.

Last edited:
Dear Santa:

Tomorrow is our large animal lab exam. Please let this be the last time I have to deal with theriogenology stuff until the NAVLE. If I have to spend any more time on calf extractions or follicles or fetotomies or palpations any time soon... Well, I'm not entirely sure what I'll do, but I'm fairly certain it'll land me on the Naughty list for next year.

Dear Santa:

Tomorrow is our large animal lab exam. Please let this be the last time I have to deal with theriogenology stuff until the NAVLE. If I have to spend any more time on calf extractions or follicles or fetotomies or palpations any time soon... Well, I'm not entirely sure what I'll do, but I'm fairly certain it'll land me on the Naughty list for next year.

Amen to that, sister. My therio final is Wednesday and I just want to be done with it!

So not happy with all of the above, some of the above, and especially none of the above on multiple choice exams. THERE IS ONLY ONE ANSWER. YOU CAN'T LIST FOUR ANSWERS AND THEN SAY "+ infinity via none of the above." GRRRRR

Also. Therio can go eat a bag of dicks. I'm aware of the irony in this.

Just gotta do well enough to get it out of my life...
i'm done with therio, but i dont want to talk about it :mad: really really annoyed and all i can say is they'd better still be curving the class because they've just re-instated a "D" policy and i have a feeling they are going to be far less likely to curve things from now on (which is really stupid - Ds at this university is a huge detriment to our program and makes us look even weaker than people already perceive).

in other news, small animal medicine, diagnostic imaging, and large animal surgery:poke::yawn::drowning:

Speaking of therio..... about to review repro pathology right now.... :meh:

I'm reviewing repro path right now. Hate. Only 4 more days until I blow this Popsicle stand for 3 weeks. Saturday cannot come soon enough.

I'm right there hating life with y'all. Somehow my pharm professor has an evil power in which she can ask questions in a way that a) makes me feel like we don't speak the same English and b) like I haven't spent all friggin semester studying pharmacology, including more than 24 hours over the weekend before the final. Plus she uses the big scantrons, where you can have up to 8 (or maybe it's 10) possible answers in the multiple choice format. And she was all about the some of the above, 2 of the above, none of the above....hate her, really do.

i'm done with therio, but i dont want to talk about it :mad: really really annoyed and all i can say is they'd better still be curving the class because they've just re-instated a "D" policy and i have a feeling they are going to be far less likely to curve things from now on (which is really stupid - Ds at this university is a huge detriment to our program and makes us look even weaker than people already perceive).

What's a "D" policy?

What's a "D" policy?
We didn't have D grades here until just recently. Before it was 69.5 or better is a C and below that is an F. But F's on transcripts are more detrimental than D's when trying to place students for clinicals and as almost every other accredited vet school has D grades they decided to bring them back. So now you can get a D, and have 3 options: take the D (you would be only allowed 2 like other schools) re-sit the course exam cumulatively before the next term and take that grade, or decelerate "decell" to the next term and take the course again.

My own rant: My class is ridiculously weighted towards A students. We are also really whiney. We all griped and griped about pharmacology and how everyone did so awful on the midterm and here we are at finals and 30 out of 100 students have an A in Pharm. You need a 4.0 here to be Phi Zeta pretty much. There are 25-30 A students in each course. Welcome to vet school where a B+ you would have been proud of elsewhere might as well be a C-

We didn't have D grades here until just recently. Before it was 69.5 or better is a C and below that is an F. But F's on transcripts are more detrimental than D's when trying to place students for clinicals and as almost every other accredited vet school has D grades they decided to bring them back. So now you can get a D, and have 3 options: take the D (you would be only allowed 2 like other schools) re-sit the course exam cumulatively before the next term and take that grade, or decelerate "decell" to the next term and take the course again.

@jmo1012, why is this a bad thing? (Curious - seems like people would rather take a D than an F)

@jmo1012, why is this a bad thing? (Curious - seems like people would rather take a D than an F)
Now that it isn't life or death for students to get a C or better the profs will no longer set their curve at 80-85% averages, they will be OK giving D's and there will be less options to decelerate and avoid the F or D entirely.

What's a "D" policy?
The grading scale is 90-100= A; 85-89.5= B+; etc...D+ = 65-69.5 (1.5/4 GPA); and D is 60-64.5 (1/4 GPA) fail is anything below a 59.5. This is NOT retroactive so is just starting for these finals onwards. If you have an "F" on your current transcript, the affiliate schools will see the % that was associated, because all the F's on previous transcripts were actually Ds to the affiliate schools so we looked bad.

basically, in addition to never really failing students out, we'll have a lot more people with things less than a C on their transcript
we are notorious for not failing students out, and while to some extent maybe thats good there are people in the program that really are not qualified to become veterinarians. finishing vet school is an earned privilege and a right. i just see more professors being content to hand out Ds because they dont have near the impact that an F does for an individual student. if you get below a 70% in a class that most people are able to pass and many are getting As in, dont you think that as someone who will be using this knowledge in the future, it is in your best interest to either retake the exam or retake the class? a D just gives further leniency, and sure there are classes that you might not really use all that much, but this also applies to the big classes like medicine, surgery, anatomy, physiology - the stuff that you really need to know and understand to be a good veterinarian (not saying you need to be getting As, but you do need to maintain a certain level).

Reactions: 1 user
if you get below a 70% in a class that most people are able to pass and many are getting As in, dont you think that as someone who will be using this knowledge in the future, it is in your best interest to either retake the exam or retake the class? a D just gives further leniency, and sure there are classes that you might not really use all that much, but this also applies to the big classes like medicine, surgery, anatomy, physiology - the stuff that you really need to know and understand to be a good veterinarian (not saying you need to be getting As, but you do need to maintain a certain level).

Interesting. I guess it's a bit different up here as there are no curves in any of the classes.

Interesting. I guess it's a bit different up here as there are no curves in any of the classes.
if we didnt have so many VPs here, curves probably wouldn't be nearly as necessary. its just difficult having people from all over the world with really different academic expectations coming in to teach for a week or two and then testing in varied styles. for the most part things go well when its the same professor (or professors from here) giving exams with few exceptions. we had 10 VPs from all over the world (belgium, australia, spain, US, etc) just this semester alone in across 4 classes.