VMRCVM c/o 2019 applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know how they contact you if you are offered a seat from the waitlist? I am nervous because I still have high hopes and didn't get some of the emails regarding interviews. Since we have only two days to respond, I don't want to miss the email/opportunity!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know how they contact you if you are offered a seat from the waitlist? I am nervous because I still have high hopes and didn't get some of the emails regarding interviews. Since we have only two days to respond, I don't want to miss the email/opportunity!
I believe its through email. Have you been checking your junk box? Because for some reason my last email from them went straight to the junk while the ones before didnt...are you on the oos list?

I'm almost positive they call you, not email you.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Im actually on the MD list. I was shocked because I felt so confident and good about my interview :/

Reactions: 2 users
Im actually on the MD list. I was shocked because I felt so confident and good about my interview :/
Im sorry. I felt the same way. Its been the hardest wait ever. Hopefully we'll get in :) im on the oos list

I know, I knew people that felt great and are alternates, and people that didn't feel so great and got in. I guess we can't be sure what they are looking for in any given room.

I know, I knew people that felt great and are alternates, and people that didn't feel so great and got in. I guess we can't be sure what they are looking for in any given room.
To be honest, i think interviews are very biased because you put a face on the candidates. If you have good academic standards, they should be the ones deciding who stays and who doesn't. Besides, how well can you train someone from outside to score a candidate's interview in one weekend?

Well I think the point is that EVERYONE who interviews has the academics, but using the interviews they can find the other things that they're looking for. It makes sense but its also frustrating

Reactions: 6 users
Does VMRCVM send out a traditional "snail mail" letter as well?

Anyone have any recommendations for apartments? Preferably a studio with lenient pet policies.

My current vet graduated from VMRCVM a couple of years ago, and I was just asking him this same question yesterday! He said that most of the apartment complexes close to campus have a high undergrad population, and that it can get really loud sometimes. A lot of them have sections for grad students, but he said it can still get kind of loud in those sections. Christiansburg is cheaper and quieter, but the downside is that it can take 15-20 minutes to get back and forth to campus. He said that can be an issue when you're a 4th year, because you're on call and need to get there quick. So I guess it's a judgement call on what's more important to you - peace and quiet or a longer commute. He stayed in Fox Ridge the first year, and then moved out to Christiansburg after that. He said being able to sleep and study without having to deal with parties was worth the commute.

I was looking at prices online - and wow, apartments are expensive! I'm thinking the way to go might be to rent a house with a couple of other people.

To be honest, i think interviews are very biased because you put a face on the candidates. If you have good academic standards, they should be the ones deciding who stays and who doesn't. Besides, how well can you train someone from outside to score a candidate's interview in one weekend?

One of the things that Dr. Pelzer said at dinner was that the MMI format allows them to correct for biases, because everyone has the same questions. They can see if an interviewer had a bias against age, weight, gender, etc. They weight scores to correct for those biases if they find them. I personally think that's much more fair than a standard interview, where everyone gets different questions and there's no way to see if there are biases in the scores.

I life in foxridge and I love it, but honestly it's all about what building you get. Mine is in the graduate section and right along the edge. It's extremely quiet and I never have any problem. I have had some classmates have problems with neighbors being noisy though. A note about prices of houses vs. apartments is that in some of the apartment complexes heat and water are included. Heat can make a huge difference in your monthly utility cost. Also a lot of the houses in Blacksburg are older so they have poor insulation.

My current vet graduated from VMRCVM a couple of years ago, and I was just asking him this same question yesterday! He said that most of the apartment complexes close to campus have a high undergrad population, and that it can get really loud sometimes. A lot of them have sections for grad students, but he said it can still get kind of loud in those sections. Christiansburg is cheaper and quieter, but the downside is that it can take 15-20 minutes to get back and forth to campus. He said that can be an issue when you're a 4th year, because you're on call and need to get there quick. So I guess it's a judgement call on what's more important to you - peace and quiet or a longer commute. He stayed in Fox Ridge the first year, and then moved out to Christiansburg after that. He said being able to sleep and study without having to deal with parties was worth the commute.

I was looking at prices online - and wow, apartments are expensive! I'm thinking the way to go might be to rent a house with a couple of other people.

I was told that many vet students live in Windsor Hills and they have a lenient pet policy. I grabbed an apartment guide while I was there, and there seems to be a lot of options. Our student at dinner specifically mentioned that Blacksburg has the lowest or one of the lowest costs of living out of all vet schools. Coming from Southern California, apartments seem very affordable to me, but I guess it depends on what you are used to.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was told that many vet students live in Windsor Hills and they have a lenient pet policy. I grabbed an apartment guide while I was there, and there seems to be a lot of options. Our student at dinner specifically mentioned that Blacksburg has the lowest or one of the lowest costs of living out of all vet schools. Coming from Southern California, apartments seem very affordable to me, but I guess it depends on what you are used to.

I feel the same coming from So Cal. A nice one bedroom apt here in San Diego can be $1100/month easily.

Amen! Fellow Los Angelino here and I can definitely attest to the ridiculously high cost of living. Anything <$1,500 for a pet-friendly, one-bedroom apartment is a steal!! :laugh:

Anybody get anything in the mail yet? Apparently letters were sent out on the 6th of Feb, per their Fbook page.

Ok, so what happens to financial aid if i get off the alternate list later in the year? Am i suppose to apply and deny later if i dont get in?

Hi everybody!! I was accepted into VMRCVM's class of 2019 as an in-state student. I'm looking for possible roommates for the fall and to get to know our class! I'm really excited! I was also thinking about starting a Facebook page for us. What do you all think?

Hi everybody!! I was accepted into VMRCVM's class of 2019 as an in-state student. I'm looking for possible roommates for the fall and to get to know our class! I'm really excited! I was also thinking about starting a Facebook page for us. What do you all think?

Go for it!! Somebody's gotta take the first step!

Does anyone know if they've started calling people off the alternate list?

I was wondering the same thing. I have not heard of anyone getting a call yet. :(
I havent heard anything either. I think everybody is waiting until april to give the college a definite answer...meanwhile we have to learn to wait somehow. I want to be hopeful but im scared of creating expectations too. Had a dream 2 nights ago i was last in the list. I don't think this wait gets any easier...

I wish they would let us know where we are on the list so I can make plans haha I feel like I have false hope of getting in.

I wish they would let us know where we are on the list so I can make plans haha I feel like I have false hope of getting in.
Same Here! this uncertainty is really killing me especially when I'm finishing my last term in school. I'm just going to shake it off and prepare for the next cycle of application :/

Same Here! this uncertainty is really killing me especially when I'm finishing my last term in school. I'm just going to shake it off and prepare for the next cycle of application :/
Yeah I still have a lot of thinking to do because I was accepted to Ross but I'm not sure if I should just wait and try again for VMRCVM since I've wanted to go here since middle school.. Such a hard decision

Guys, i emailed joyce massie and she said the people on alternative list can apply for financial aid now and deny later in case we do not get out off the list

Do you know what the FAFSA code is?
When you search in the FAFSA, it appears as Virginia Tech in Blacksburg. Had the same doubt but only 2 choices pop out when you search VA and Blacksburg

When you search in the FAFSA, it appears as Virginia Tech in Blacksburg. Had the same doubt but only 2 choices pop out when you search VA and Blacksburg

Exactly, didnt want to pick the wrong one, thanks!!!

Has anyone heard anything from the waitlist or we arent going to hear anything until April 15 :(

Has anyone heard anything from the waitlist or we arent going to hear anything until April 15 :([/QUOTE]

I hate to be the person with the bad news, but yes most probably. I have a friend waitlisted for OOS and he called to get more info since he lives in PR. At this moment no one have rejected their seats. Joice mention that its usually around April 1 that changes start to pop up. *This is for OOS

For IS, I have no idea :(

Dang. That sucks. The waiting is just horrible, and not knowing where on the list I stand is even worse! :(

Nope :( the waiting is killing me

Is anyone from the alternate list going to the prospective student day?

I know the waiting is horrible, but I don't think we'll see the waitlist moving until april 15th. My friend accepted an offer elsewhere and wanted to reject her offer from virginia but apparently theres only the option to accept. So hold on tight and hope for the best! in the meantime just keep busy! :)

I know the waiting is horrible, but I don't think we'll see the waitlist moving until april 15th. My friend accepted an offer elsewhere and wanted to reject her offer from virginia but apparently theres only the option to accept. So hold on tight and hope for the best! in the meantime just keep busy! :)
Nope, that's not true, you are supposed to send an email if you are not planning on attending...

Oh okay! I'll tell my friend that then!
For your friend's reference, this came from the most recent e-mail sent out:

"As an aside, if you have chosen to go elsewhere, we are saddened, but I would greatly appreciate an email letting me know. My email is [email protected] (or [email protected] )"

No news? :nailbiting::nailbiting::nailbiting:

Should we call on April 15th or do they automatically send out an email with our "number" :bookworm:

In our decision letter Joyce wrote that we can request our ranking by email after April 15th

Hey everyone!

I think I may have introduced myself in this thread already but it's been a while. =) Congratulations to everyone who has heard back already, and here's hoping for the rest of you - fingers crossed!

We're holding our Prospective Students weekend this weekend (as I'm sure many of you are already aware). If you're local or able to get away, I highly recommend coming! They feed you delicious food on Friday, you get some more information about the school and the program, and you get to hang out with some of the awesome current students (such as myself ;) ). Friday night, the social fraternity, Alpha Psi, will be at Hokie House (upper level) to shoot the breeze (and the booze ;) ) with you, too! You'll know us by our shirts... and probably our volume. =) The rest of the weekend is Open House, with necropsy demonstrations, specimen rooms, tours, and various other entertainment.

And, final plug, I'm a bit late to the conversation but I'm actually looking to fill my apartment for next year. It's in Windsor Hills, which is - IMHO - the best apartment complex for vet students. It's quiet and pet friendly, with a dog park on the premises and pet-themed social events every now and again. It has its own bus stop for easy access downtown, but getting to the vet school that way can be a little awkward - but the commute from a car is 15 minutes tops in "rush hour" traffic, and probably averages closer to 10. There are no breed or weight restrictions for pets, and while I think the number is technically capped at 3 animals, I don't think they're too strict with that as long as you're responsible. Oh - and the monthly pet fee is waived for vet students. =) I've got a 1 bedroom + den locked in at 2012 rental prices, so it's $790/month + utilities (the current going rate for the same apartment is $850 + utilities). My husband and I are moving to a different location for my clinical year, so the lease would be transferred to you completely, and we'd be 100% out of your hair. The den has a door so if two of you wanted to double up and use that as a bedroom, you could - it just doesn't have a closet. Hubby is posting an ad for the space on Craigslist tomorrow and we're expecting it to go fast, but I wanted to give the incoming vet students first grabs. =) The lease would start in July. If you're interested and/or you want more information, please don't hesitate to e-mail me! ([email protected])

Hope to see a ton of you this weekend!

Any alternates called yet? I was wondering how long the oos list is...anybody have an idea?

Any alternates called yet? I was wondering how long the oos list is...anybody have an idea?
They interviewed 135 OOS candidates for 36 spots and waitlisted everyone that didn't get accepted so it would be 99 people long assuming no one on the waitlist has asked to be removed