#WaitListedAndProud2016_A Post-April 30th Saga

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just discovered this thread and haven't had time to read through everything...

But I'm on the waitlist at Buffalo, Albany, and Downstate with no acceptances....as time goes on, I get more and more worried. I feel like there's not a lot of movement anymore and I'm getting nervous. What do my chances look like?

Also, are people that are getting accepted off of the waitlists noticing and particular day of the week it happens or time of day?

Trying to stay somewhat sane here...

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

But I'm on the waitlist at Buffalo, Albany, and Downstate with no acceptances....as time goes on, I get more and more worried. I feel like there's not a lot of movement anymore and I'm getting nervous. What do my chances look like?

Also, are people that are getting accepted off of the waitlists noticing and particular day of the week it happens or time of day?

my friend got into Downstate on June 1st (albeit this was a couple of years ago but it has known to happen) so it is def possible! don't lose hope. you have three waitlists - that's a lot!

Reactions: 1 users

youre lucky you got an albany interview they have a ton of movement

Members don't see this ad :)

Speculating and analyzing WL trends does not help with your sanity, but good luck!

I've waited so so many years to post this. I made it. I finally made it. I pray for everyone here. Do not despair. Keep your mind clear and hearts pure and God always hears us. Good things will come. I can't believe I'm actually making this post today.
Yeeeessss!!! Prayers work!!! Congrats!!! Thanks for your prayers :-D

This process and really life in general is more of a marathon than a sprint. As a non traditional applicant I've learned that most of life is spent waiting for something and then we get it and it's waiting for something else...So best thing to do easier said than done is to try to do something we enjoy as we wait for whatever it is. I know I am going to come out on the other side more patient than I ever thought I could be in this faith walk. Let's see what the plan is...
Thanks for this! It really changed my perspective on the waiting game. This medical journey is definitely a marathon and not a sprint, so I should be grateful to be growing as a person along the way.

Reactions: 4 users
Thanks for this! It really changed my perspective on the waiting game. This medical journey is definitely a marathon and not a sprint, so I should be grateful to be growing as a person along the way.
You're welcome! It's so true I am realizing that I will miss out on so much of life if I am always just waiting to get the next thing on my list since there will always be a next. I can't say it's always easy. But I've noticed it makes such a difference when I just go outside to spend time with family and friends, or read a good book or catch up on some shows instead of staring at my emails refreshing constantly (haha easier said than done). Stepping away just really puts things in perspective. So trying to juggle hoping this cycle results in an acceptance which would mean moving out of state in only a few weeks and yet preparing for the next cycle and applying for a job I was referred to.

Reactions: 4 users
I am thinking that I should call Admissions, to see if they're expecting anymore Waitlist movement. What do you all think?

Reactions: 1 user
I am thinking that I should call Admissions, to see if they're expecting anymore Waitlist movement. What do you all think?

I don't really see why that would be bad. I pretty much did this last week when I was panicking at work. I made a phone call to ask about the waitlist and that calmed me a bit.

I don't really see why that would be bad. I pretty much did this last week when I was panicking at work. I made a phone call to ask about the waitlist and that calmed me a bit.

Thanks. I think I'm going to do just that. Problem is, I don't know "WHAT" to say. My fear is that I'll be too forward/pushy. I just want to know something.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks. I think I'm going to do just that. Problem is, I don't know "WHAT" to say. My fear is that I'll be too forward/pushy. I just want to know something.

I just got off the phone with a school I'm wait listed at.

I said, Hi this is so and so and I interviewed in this month and am currently on the waitlist. I was wondering if you could give me any insight into waitlist movement and if you could tell me anything about my chance of getting off the waitlist.

Reactions: 5 users
End of May approaching ahhhhh, get me off this horrible ride!

Reactions: 3 users
My WL school hasn't begun looking at candidates yet. I was told that they would not know if there would be any waitlist movement until mid-June. Does anyone know what could be the possible reason for this? Likely no WL movement? Are there any more deadlines/decisions needed to be made by accepted students at this point?

*freaking out*

I said, Hi this is so and so and I interviewed in this month and am currently on the waitlist. I was wondering if you could give me any insight into waitlist movement and if you could tell me anything about my chance of getting off the waitlist.
How did the school respond?

What was their response?

Write it out, and read off the script so you don't sound too pushy.

What was their response?

They said that all the could tell me was that the class was not full and that they were still making offers. They said the expect waitlist movement to continue like it has for the next few weeks then slow down in mid June.

Agree why not? I also called a couple of weeks ago asking if there was any OOS movement. That's when they told me they had ranked the waitlist 3 tiers and couldn't tell me where I was on the ranking and that movement could happen until the first day of orientation.

Ok, here it is everyone. I'm afraid to call. So I'm opting for the easier route. I'm opening my own medical school. I'm going to create a GoFundMe to support everyone's full ride scholarships. You're all accepted!

Reactions: 15 users
I called. They said everything that I already knew. Oddly, I feel slightly better. I feel more accepting of the fact that I should focus my efforts on re-applying. More so, on re-taking the MCAT. That was DEFINITELY my weak point.

what someone wrote on Howard's forum just a few mins ago:

"I called and got a hold of them today. They said they're trying to finish up every one waiting by this week, but they're not sure if they'll be able to grant more acceptances because the class is full. I'm sure things can change though...hoping so."

Oh man I am so worried now.

Ok guys, BIG question. I've been getting ready to reapply, and one of my recommenders asked me to have her prior rec sent back to her so she could update it. I already asked AMCAS and of course they said no. Here's what I'm wondering... would it hurt to ask individual adcoms for it? I get the feeling I'd be more successful asking schools I'm WL-ed at because they still have my app as active. But it might be safer for me to ask schools that rejected me that I might not apply to again. Idk... Reeeally regretting not using Interfolio last year! Help!

Ok guys, BIG question. I've been getting ready to reapply, and one of my recommenders asked me to have her prior rec sent back to her so she could update it. I already asked AMCAS and of course they said no. Here's what I'm wondering... would it hurt to ask individual adcoms for it? I get the feeling I'd be more successful asking schools I'm WL-ed at because they still have my app as active. But it might be safer for me to ask schools that rejected me that I might not apply to again. Idk... Reeeally regretting not using Interfolio last year! Help!

She didn't save it???

This happened to me...one of my recommenders is currently rewriting my LOR

can you ask the schools to send the rec letter back to your letter writer? explain the situation to the schools and see what the individual schools say since AMCAS already said no. At this point it really doesn't matter what school you ask right, because you just want a school who will allow the letter to be sent back to the letter writer.

can you ask the schools to send the rec letter back to your letter writer? explain the situation to the schools and see what the individual schools say since AMCAS already said no. At this point it really doesn't matter what school you ask right, because you just want a school who will allow the letter to be sent back to the letter writer.
That's my next move. There's no harm in asking right?

Did you try asking schools for it?

No I figured if AMCAS wouldn't send it back that it would probably be difficult to convince individual schools to send them back (I could be wrong). But my recommender didn't mind composing a new letter so it's all good.

That's my next move. There's no harm in asking right?
I don't think there is any harm in asking. The worst that can happen is the school says no and at least you can tell your recommender that you did make an effort to try to get the letter back to her.

what someone wrote on Howard's forum just a few mins ago:

"I called and got a hold of them today. They said they're trying to finish up every one waiting by this week, but they're not sure if they'll be able to grant more acceptances because the class is full. I'm sure things can change though...hoping so."

Oh man I am so worried now.
Hang in there chocolate! It's not over until it's over. Last minute things happen all the time...for one reason or another someone can no longer attend due to another acceptance, a new relationship etc...rooting for you!

Hang in there chocolate! It's not over until it's over. Last minute things happen all the time...for one reason or another someone can no longer attend due to another acceptance, a new relationship etc...rooting for you!
Thank you so so much. I just want to be in so badly.

Just spent the past 20 minutes scrubbing blood out of my khakis which came from my dress shoes, which I have to wear for my scribe job, cutting my ankles all day. I feel like there's a metaphor here somewhere.

My application will be the one with Shakespeare references in it. That's how you'll know to interview me.
You'd be surprised how often quotes from the bard crop up in a PS...
Not as often as Maya Angelou, of course.

Oh god, the PI I asked for 6 references (yes, 6.) before just semi-rejected me. I mean, she was very nice about it but it was clear that she really didn't want to write another one for me. She wants me to talk to my premed committee to learn to improve my recommendation. How am I supposed to "improve my recommendation"? I'm not even the one writing it! And we don't have a premed committee at our school... She also said that I should look for someone who knows me in more aspects of my life since she only knew me from a research aspect and not academically. But that's why we submit more than one letters right? I mean, how often do people actually do research with the same prof who they took classes with?And she said that she suggest I find someone who knows me in a more "complex perspective". What does that even mean? That you don't know me enough?? I've been in your lab for 3 years!! I get that she wouldn't want to write me one anymore since she wrote me so many already, but I'm just getting really scared that now my other references would back out on me too!!

Oh god, the PI I asked for 6 references (yes, 6.) before just semi-rejected me. I mean, she was very nice about it but it was clear that she really didn't want to write another one for me. She wants me to talk to my premed committee to learn to improve my recommendation. How am I supposed to "improve my recommendation"? I'm not even the one writing it! And we don't have a premed committee at our school... She also said that I should look for someone who knows me in more aspects of my life since she only knew me from a research aspect and not academically. But that's why we submit more than one letters right? I mean, how often do people actually do research with the same prof who they took classes with?And she said that she suggest I find someone who knows me in a more "complex perspective". What does that even mean? That you don't know me enough?? I've been in your lab for 3 years!! I get that she wouldn't want to write me one anymore since she wrote me so many already, but I'm just getting really scared that now my other references would back out on me too!!

Blessing in disguise...anytime anyone does this I happily oblige and move on to the next recommender...don't want anyone writing lukewarm recommendations.

Reactions: 8 users
Breathe. She's just trying to say "nice" things and make suggestions instead of saying no. Trust me, if someone gives you ANY inkling they don't want to do it, you don't want them writing one! I don't have a committee letter either. And it did take a few tries to find committed recommenders. I've applied several times too. Try someone who oversees you in any capacity--volunteering, employment, TA... cast a wider net. You'll find someone.

For a PI you've worked with for three years to not write you a recommendation is just bizarre.

Breathe. She's just trying to say "nice" things and make suggestions instead of saying no. Trust me, if someone gives you ANY inkling they don't want to do it, you don't want them writing one! I don't have a committee letter either. And it did take a few tries to find committed recommenders. I've applied several times too. Try someone who oversees you in any capacity--volunteering, employment, TA... cast a wider net. You'll find someone.
The thing is, I know she writes nice letters about me. She once wrote me letters to apply to this job which required the applicant to hand the letter in along with the application, so she gave the letter to me in a sealed envelope. I was just about the turn in my application when I got an offer from another job I interviewed for weeks ago, so I just took that one instead and never turned in my app. I couldn't help myself so I opened the envelope to read the letter, and she wrote really nice things about me. She really is a great lady, which is why I'm even more upset at myself for asking so much from her that forces such a nice person to eventually say "that's enough":(

For a PI you've worked with for three years to not write you a recommendation is just bizarre.
I know...I can't believe that she said she doesn't know me well enough...My involvement in her lab was probably just slightly less than a grad student, and definitely more than any of her other undergrad assistants. I guess it really was that I've asked too many times....

Your situation is unique since you don't have a pre med committee but for most schools with pre med committees, all the rec letters go to them, and the pre med committee usually has a file of all your rec letters.

I understand you don't have a premed committee but that doesn't mean your previous letter writers should back out on you. Most letter writers keep their rec letters saved that they have written for you. Clearly this PI did in a way reject you, is there anyone else in the lab who can write a letter for you - maybe a post doc or even a PhD candidate, and then maybe ask if the PI can sign off on it, if she wants to of course. If not, then a post doc or PhD candidate is just fine. I don't think medical schools will take it as a bad sign that you don't have a PI rec letter (it may come up in the interview but you can explain it there) but also I mean most medical schools understand that PIs are also busy and accept rec letters from other members of the lab. For my friend, the PI didn't write his rec letter, his post doc did and he got into medical school just fine. Don't worry too much about it. There are always ways to solve the problem and I agree with what everyone said, you don't want someone to write you a rec letter that doesn't want to.