#WaitListedAndProud2016_A Post-April 30th Saga

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
*loudly sips drinkwhile staring intently at nothing*

Sent from my SM-G900V using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
This whole week is gonna be so nerve- wracking. I'm like trying to not think about it but somehow every 5 minutes I end up checking my email or these threads Lololol

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Do most of you guys know your waitlist ranking? Or do you guys just know that you are on the waitlist and are desperately praying to get accepted?!

Do most of you guys know your waitlist ranking? Or do you guys just know that you are on the waitlist and are desperately praying to get accepted?!

no idea, just praying...debating on whether to start writing my new personal statement today for the upcoming application cycle or not....

Reactions: 5 users

The school I'm wait listed at said they didn't do rankings x.x so I'm just desperately praying

On the WL for two schools, definitely decided if this year doesn't work out I'm gonna do early decision because I can't put myself through this again lolz

Reactions: 1 user
Don't know if y'all accept us here DO waitlisters, but here we go:

1 Interview, 1 waitlist. "Unranked" but apparently DO programs have a lot of movement.

no idea, just praying...debating on whether to start writing my new personal statement today for the upcoming application cycle or not....

I feel you honestly like I'm supposed to be taking the mcat again in about 3 weeks but instead of worrying about that I'm like more worried about this (which is probably bad lol)

Deadline is technically tonight.
3 II's and 3 waitlists. All ranked and I don't know my position on any of them... Desperately waiting for my hotline to bling as that can only mean one thing!

Reactions: 12 users
I feel you honestly like I'm supposed to be taking the mcat again in about 3 weeks but instead of worrying about that I'm like more worried about this (which is probably bad lol)
Me too! I haven't been able to concentrate on mcat studying at all this past week

Members don't see this ad :)
does anyone know what an "unranked" waitlist actually means...

Reactions: 2 users
Me too! I haven't been able to concentrate on mcat studying at all this past week

The struggle is too real right now lololol I hope that we both either get off the wait list before the mcat or that we can channel all of our worries into studying and are able to focus insanely hard these next couple of weeks so we can own it :D :D

Apparently unranked waitlist can have a secret priority waitlist that isn't mentioned to the other waitlisted applicants. Sorry I'm a bit upset right now lol

It usually means that the school prefers to replace anyone that withdraws with a candidate with similar demographics/experiences/stats to try to keep the class 'balanced' in some way.

Reactions: 3 users
No details whatsoever. K. Congrats

haha I was too overwhelmed to write the details at that minute. I got into University of Miami Miller School of Medicine!! They called me 7am cali time-- 10am Miami time and then email followed.

Thank you guys for the congrats-- sorry I didn't indicate the school sooner.

Reactions: 6 users
Supposedly many different schools' rejection letters are saying this has been a particularly high volume applicant year. No idea why, but I'm guessing it's largely due to the MCAT changes/growing bias towards the newer version.
The class of 2012 (high school) was inexplicably one of the largest high school classes in recent history as well (especially in California). I remember every undergrad I applied to, including all the UCs, said they got record numbers of applications, and waitlist movement was almost non-existent.

OR, you know, they know that students are aware that there will be more applicants, and use this as a "it's not you or me, it's them", sort of buffer in lieu of the rejection. Idk, I'm pretty pessimistic lol

lol YES. After reading so many rejection letters, I have to say I respect a school MORE when they DON'T whine about how hard it is to pick from so many qualified applicants in a REJECTION letter.

Oh and... 3 II's, 2 Waitlists, 0 Acceptances
I'm not sure what I want more: to get into med school or to NOT go through this whole process again :p

The class of 2012 (high school) was inexplicably one of the largest high school classes in recent history as well (especially in California). I remember every undergrad I applied to, including all the UCs, said they got record numbers of applications, and waitlist movement was almost non-existent.
this won't really matter for people on WL. they already interviewed and the record volume applicants doesn't affect them

I bring news from the north... today was just a diversion.. AAMC thought it funny to make us wait till business days advanced. Tomorrow is when the real flurry of offers will come. Prepare yourselves, for tomorrow glory will reign down on SDN!!

Reactions: 10 users
this won't really matter for people on WL. they already interviewed and the record volume applicants doesn't affect them

I wasn't commenting on the wait list.

The person said that many schools mentioned an unusually high volume of applicants this particular year; I was pointing out that the UG class of 2016 was a really big one when it matriculated into college, so that might have something to do with it.

I bring news from the north... today was just a diversion.. AAMC thought it funny to make us wait till business days advanced. Tomorrow is when the real flurry of offers will come. Prepare yourselves, for tomorrow glory will reign down on SDN!!
Is this for real

I would guess most holding multiple acceptance cut to one on or before April 30. Many people did not even know about the May 2 extension...

Oh so no chance

Just because people might not have known about the deadline extension, doesn't mean schools weren't purposefully waiting until tomorrow to start offering acceptances off the waitlist. So, as mr.mkitty said, there should be lots of movement starting tomorrow!

Just because people might not have known about the deadline extension, doesn't mean schools weren't purposefully waiting until tomorrow to start offering acceptances off the waitlist. So, as mr.mkitty said, there should be lots of movement starting tomorrow!
So you're saying there IS a chance

Well I didn't get accepted today but I DID find out that my top choice school has a secret priority waitlist that I am decidedly not on. So that's fabulous.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Well I didn't get accepted today but I DID find out that my top choice school has a secret priority waitlist that I am decidedly not on. So that's fabulous.

??? That's so annoying :/ do you mind me asking which school?

There's still hope! My top choice (and only WL school) has a priority WL (I'm on regular) and I found out today that they usually exhaust the priority WL and accept from regular. So don't lose hope yet!

What! How do you know that?

There's still hope! My top choice (and only WL school) has a priority WL (I'm on regular) and I found out today that they usually exhaust the priority WL and accept from regular. So don't lose hope yet!
Einstein maybe? I'm also just on the regular waitlist there D:

Einstein maybe? I'm also just on the regular waitlist there D:
nope, Cooper! Hoping all of us regular WLers get accepted!

??? That's so annoying :/ do you mind me asking which school?
Rush. It's okay. The odds were never good to begin with. The list is 120 long and they accept like 20. So it went from ~15% to 0ish%. But that's better than nothing I suppose.

Last edited:

Hey that sounds like what I found out today too. A secret priority waitlist that they don't tell regular waitlisters during their waitlist presentation that lasted for an hour :(

Nobody knows the trouble I've seen ~ Nobody knows my sorrow~

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
I thought several schools didn't seat their class until June. How worried should we be if we don't get a call this week? Do I even want the answer lol
I know this isn't what anyone wants to hear and I don't like being a Negative Nancy, but the chances of getting in off the waitlist are extremely low to begin with. I've seen schools with hundreds of people on the waitlist. Lots of schools only accept ~20 or so. I really hope some of you guys get good news but I don't want anyone to set themselves up for crippling disappointment. I have done the thing where I look at the hopeful statistics and turn a blind eye to the ugly ones, and it has only made me unhappy. At this point, I would say that between my waitlisted schools I maybe have, liberally, a 10% overall chance at getting an acceptance. It is mentally easier for me to treat it as if I have been rejected everywhere so that I can focus on the future.

Reactions: 3 users
I know this isn't what anyone wants to hear and I don't like being a Negative Nancy, but the chances of getting in off the waitlist are extremely low to begin with. I've seen schools with hundreds of people on the waitlist. Lots of schools only accept ~20 or so. I really hope some of you guys get good news but I don't want anyone to set themselves up for crippling disappointment. I have done the thing where I look at the hopeful statistics and turn a blind eye to the ugly ones, and it has only made me unhappy. At this point, I would say that between my waitlisted schools I maybe have, liberally, a 10% overall chance at getting an acceptance. It is mentally easier for me to treat it as if I have been rejected everywhere so that I can focus on the future.
Yeah. A med school waitlist isn't like a fast queue in a fast food chain. See my previous posts on this thread for a nice gif representation

I feel you.... It's almost (2017) application time.
*Finds people drinking on this thread*
"Hey, can I join?"