#WaitListedAndProud2016_A Post-April 30th Saga

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
There is false hope, but there is also false despair. Completely counting yourself out is the latter. Noting a small, albeit still there shot, is not false hope.

You wouldn't feel comfortable withdrawing your apps from your waitlists, would you? If not, rethink about your situation.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
Nothing gets past you. Especially carbohydrates

NOTE: this is a quote taken from triumph the insult dog. Disclaimers about understanding the problems of metabolic syndrome here.

Sent from my SM-G900V using SDN mobile

I'm a marathon runner. Carbs are a good friend of mine.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
this is me these days

1425_3.jpg

Reactions: 13 users
I really do appreciate all the support people give me on this forum. It means a lot. But I don't believe in giving people false hope. The medical schools have done that to me far too many times this year for me to inflict that on somebody else. I told her that there is a million to one chance I get accepted off the waitlist somewhere, but I just think it's best to focus on next year.

Bananafish

I thought you got into Harvard and stuff

There is false hope, but there is also false despair. Completely counting yourself out is the latter. Noting a small, albeit still there shot, is not false hope.

You wouldn't feel comfortable withdrawing your apps from your waitlists, would you? If not, rethink about your situation.
I mean I would feel comfortable doing it in the same I way I would feel comfortable ripping up a scratch-off lottery ticket...it wouldn't make any sense, but I don't really think it will affect me. I also wouldn't withdraw anywhere because that wouldn't reflect well on me next year. But on that note, I fantasize all the time about if I were to get an acceptance and get to tell off the other schools.
UIC: It's 2016. The computer was invented many decades ago. Buy one for your office.
Rosalind Franklin: Why are you the way that you are?
Western Michigan: I like how I haven't heard a single thing from you since January.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
hey bananafish, I'm in the same boat as you. it's so hard to tell people that you've failed at getting into medical school. the whole rush situation is so messed up, I'm on the waitlist there. they could have at least let us know that we were not on the high waitlist, so we could start making other plans. this whole cycle has made this year such a tough one.

Reactions: 1 users
I really do appreciate all the support people give me on this forum. It means a lot. But I don't believe in giving people false hope. The medical schools have done that to me far too many times this year for me to inflict that on somebody else. I told her that there is a million to one chance I get accepted off the waitlist somewhere, but I just think it's best to focus on next year.
I can relate to most of what you write unfortunately. I am definitely not super optimistic ,despite what anyone says about there being hope left. I am kind of just floating through this week and going through the needed motions since graduation is Friday. I am not excited and I am more like, why can't this wait until after I get accepted!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
I mean I would feel comfortable doing it in the same I way I would feel comfortable ripping up a scratch-off lottery ticket...it wouldn't make any sense, but I don't really think it will affect me. I also wouldn't withdraw anywhere because that wouldn't reflect well on me next year. But on that note, I fantasize all the time about if I were to get an acceptance and get to tell off the other schools.
UIC: It's 2016. The computer was invented many decades ago. Buy one for your office.
Rush: Don't lie about the waitlist being unranked. It's seedy and unnecessary.
Rosalind Franklin: Why are you the way that you are?
Western Michigan: I like how I haven't heard a single thing from you since January.
Very much this for all schools mentioned.particularly the rush one. That one totally made me go ??

Members don't see this ad :)
My school's thread was absolutely popping with WL movement during this time last year, but is instead a complete ghost zone this year. Was pretty optimistic before, but now I'm starting to flip out :nailbiting: y u do dis Miami

Me too. Calm before the storm ...hopefully

Well, another day of silence gone.
This is going to be me with a pint of ice cream tonight. Fun times.
20160503_153601.png

Reactions: 28 users
My school's thread was absolutely popping with WL movement during this time last year, but is instead a complete ghost zone this year. Was pretty optimistic before, but now I'm starting to flip out :nailbiting: y u do dis Miami
Probably haven't sent out the acceptances yet then.

There is actually a LOT of WL movement in Miami. The thing is that they are taking people off the waitlist without giving them any financial aid information (some people do get it) and they will be meeting to do so on Friday. I personally know people who got into Miami yesterday/today who had other acceptances and are waiting to see how the aid compares between the schools. So, don't lose hope @sss1219!! I think that there will be some more movement soon!

They are giving people two weeks at Miami to decide. So, if not now... then two weeks from now!

I was about to dig in to a pint of stress ice cream last night when I got the call from the Dean of my WL school. The day isn't over yet!
Maybe if I take the frozen custard out of the freezer tomorrow and wait a little while, I'll get an email/call.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 8 users
imma gonna go to sleep now and hope the world looks better tomorrow when I wake up.
Bus0LOOP.gif

Reactions: 11 users
Ugh. Feeling discouraged at the lack of movement from the one school I wait listed at, esp with the strong preference for IS. Why does every day get harder than the last??!!

Ugh. Feeling discouraged at the lack of movement from the one school I wait listed at, esp with the strong preference for IS. Why does every day get harder than the last??!!
As my father likes to say, "Life's a bitch, then you die."

Lol. If that's the only way I can get into med school.

No but really, hoping for more movement tomorrow!

Reactions: 3 users
As my father likes to say, "Life's a bitch, then you die."
This reminded me of similar lyrics from one song, "Life's a b*tch, if it's easy you're doing it wrong."

But seriously, I am trying so hard to stay positive but with each passing day where there's movement at my waitlisted schools I die a little inside. :(

Reactions: 9 users
hey bananafish, I'm in the same boat as you. it's so hard to tell people that you've failed at getting into medical school. the whole rush situation is so messed up, I'm on the waitlist there. they could have at least let us know that we were not on the high waitlist, so we could start making other plans. this whole cycle has made this year such a tough one.
Yes, it's certainly been a terrible year. I don't look forward to another one. My whole life I've had the annoying tendency to cling to hope that isn't there. (I never stop watching a basketball/football game until there are 0 seconds left, even if there is no conceivable way my team can win, for example). So I'm trying to beat that quality out of myself or medical school admissions.

Last edited:
Yes, it's certainly been a terrible year. I don't look forward to another one. I'm upset with myself for believing what Rush said in the first place, as if this would be the time that the medical schools actually say something truthful. My whole life I've had the annoying tendency to cling to hope that isn't there. (I never stop watching a basketball/football game until there are 0 seconds left, even if there is no conceivable way my team can win, for example). So I'm trying to beat that quality out of myself or medical school admissions.

Hey man nothing wrong with that. You're kinda like my mom. She is the same way. It bugs the hell out of me but she literally says "I won't believe you are rejected until I see the rejection letter" despite the fact that the class has been full for two months now and is well known to not have significant if any WL movement.

And about the untruthfulness of med school admissions, I am experiencing the same thing. They lie. Why? Because they can. They know applicants are desperate and they will toss you around the thorn bush every time you call. Literally I can't get a straight answer about anything. Every single time I call them I get a polar answer. It also depends on who you talk to. Admission counselor A will say that all slots are to remain filled admission counselor B will say they still have up to half of the class dropping and will be accepting that much. Admission counselor C will say I'm not authorized to give out that information. I'm asking about your medical school not about the secret location of your family's buried treasure. Its not classified.

Hey man nothing wrong with that. You're kinda like my mom. She is the same way. It bugs the hell out of me but she literally says "I won't believe you are rejected until I see the rejection letter" despite the fact that the class has been full for two months now and is well known to not have significant if any WL movement.

And about the untruthfulness of med school admissions, I am experiencing the same thing. They lie. Why? Because they can. They know applicants are desperate and they will toss you around the thorn bush every time you call. Literally I can't get a straight answer about anything. Every single time I call them I get a polar answer. It also depends on who you talk to. Admission counselor A will say that all slots are to remain filled admission counselor B will say they still have up to half of the class dropping and will be accepting that much. Admission counselor C will say I'm not authorized to give out that information. I'm asking about your medical school not about the secret location of your family's buried treasure. Its not classified.
Unfortunately I think bananas situation was the Dean of admissions lol. After having worked in a corporate environment, I'm all too familiar with the concept of being asked to keep things in the dark as much as possible to avoid confusion or excess unhappiness. While I empathize with the decision to keep it DL, I just wish it weren't the case lol.

Here's the thing: I understand if they want it to be classified. They have their process and I have to respect that. Obviously I appreciate it when the school is as transparent as possible, but I accept that the nature of the business dictates that this can't always be the case.

What I do not understand and feel immensely betrayed by are the blatant and disrespectful lies that they tell just because they can.

Here's an example:
Me: "When will I hear back about my application"
Med School Answer: "You will hear back in 6-8 weeks." (It's been 10 months and I still haven't heard from some schools).
A better answer: "We aim to inform you of your status as soon as possible, but unfortunately the process has been known to sometimes last several months."

Me: Can you tell me anything about the waitlist process?
One school: "We have an unranked waitlist that we continuously re-review."
Real answer: "We have a ranked waitlist."
An equally acceptable answer: "We can't tell you anything because it's secret."

I'm not 7. I know what they're doing. I know that they will continue to do this because there is no way to stop them, but honestly I think it's just a sad commentary on what happens to people with unfettered power. I just simply cannot conceive of treating another human being like this. I don't think it will ever make sense to me.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
Here's the thing: I understand if they want it to be classified. They have their process and I have to respect that. Obviously I appreciate it when the school is as transparent as possible, but I accept that the nature of the business dictates that this can't always be the case.

What I do not understand and feel immensely betrayed by are the blatant and disrespectful lies that they tell just because they can.

Here's an example:
Med School Answer: "You will hear back in 6-8 weeks." (It's been 10 months and I still haven't heard from some schools).
A better answer: "We aim to inform you of your status as soon as possible, but unfortunately the process has been known to sometimes last several months."

I'm not 7. I know what they're doing. I know that they will continue to do this because there is no way to stop them, but honestly I think it's just a sad commentary on what happens to people with unfettered power. I just simply cannot conceive of treating another human being like this. I don't think it will ever make sense to me.

You will make it. Stick it out I am sure you will be a better doctor because of what you endured.

Here's an example:

Well written and so much respect for this guy. I wish I could articulate my thoughts as well as you.

This reminded me of similar lyrics from one song, "Life's a b*tch, if it's easy you're doing it wrong."

But seriously, I am trying so hard to stay positive but with each passing day where there's movement at my waitlisted schools I die a little inside. :(
Hang in there @rukia013 ! Something has to pan out! Remember your Jeremiah 29:11 and for everyone else we are going to make it! We have to so we will.

Here's an example:

They don't have the bandwidth to consider each of us as an individual, special snowflake. Each of us is waiting to make alternative plans, each of us wants to get into medical school, each of us looks nearly identical on paper. So, to say that you can't "conceive of treating another human being like this" is grossly misrepresenting what's going on -- they're not condemning you to a concentration camp in North Korea; they're not lashing you to the point of unconsciousness with a bull whip. They're dealing with thousands upon thousands of applications and trying to manage ever-increasing volume each year.

You're typing on a publicly-accessible forum, so I assume that you know that your words are candidates for scrutiny. What you're currently going through is not the end of the known world: you're waiting to hear back on continuing higher education -- do you not realize how incredibly freaking lucky you are to be that position? Maybe I'm just weathered from life -- I'm older, I had a crushing childhood, I've gone hungry, I've had friends mowed down with semi-automatics, I've watched my dad brought back from the brink of death on several occasions -- but if you take a moment to step back and really read your own words -- REALLY try and contextualize what you're saying -- I think you may understand my reason for shaking my head at this.

I wish you the best. I do. But as you're gearing up to care for human life, know that there will be FAR graver circumstances in your future.

Reactions: 5 users
Hang in there @rukia013 ! Something has to pan out! Remember your Jeremiah 29:11 and for everyone else we are going to make it! We have to so we will.
Thanks! It's been a long stressful journey and at this point I am convinced that it is my faith that is keeping me sane and from falling into depression. Perhaps in this season of life God is teaching me to trust Him even when things do not work out the way /I/ want them to. We'll see...:)

Here's an example:

One of my state schools told me pre-II in August that I would be hearing from them VERY soon. And the woman on the phone actually emphasized the word very.. I didnt hear from them after that until last month and that was a pre-II rejection lol. That being said, my WL school is really great with answering my questions and I think they're being honest. I've emailed with the director of admissions and I know people have talked to her on the phone and she answers whatever questions about the WL she can and let's us know when we have questions that she can't answer at the moment. Even though this process is hard, im grateful to be on the WL at a school with, in my opinion, a really great admissions department

Thanks! It's been a long stressful journey and at this point I am convinced that it is my faith that is keeping me sane and from falling into depression. Perhaps in this season of life God is teaching me to trust Him even when things do not work out the way /I/ want them to. We'll see...:)
This process and really life in general is more of a marathon than a sprint. As a non traditional applicant I've learned that most of life is spent waiting for something and then we get it and it's waiting for something else...So best thing to do easier said than done is to try to do something we enjoy as we wait for whatever it is. I know I am going to come out on the other side more patient than I ever thought I could be in this faith walk. Let's see what the plan is...

They don't have the bandwidth to consider each of us as an individual, special snowflake. Each of us is waiting to make alternative plans, each of us wants to get into medical school, each of us looks nearly identical on paper. So, to say that you can't "conceive of treating another human being like this" is grossly misrepresenting what's going on -- they're not condemning you to a concentration camp in North Korea; they're not lashing you to the point of unconsciousness with a bull whip. They're dealing with thousands upon thousands of applications and trying to manage ever-increasing volume each year.

You're typing on a publicly-accessible forum, so I assume that you know that your words are candidates for scrutiny. What you're currently going through is not the end of the known world: you're waiting to hear back on continuing higher education -- do you not realize how incredibly freaking lucky you are to be that position? Maybe I'm just weathered from life -- I'm older, I had a crushing childhood, I've gone hungry, I've had friends mowed down with semi-automatics, I've watched my dad brought back from the brink of death on several occasions -- but if you take a moment to step back and really read your own words -- REALLY try and contextualize what you're saying -- I think you may understand my reason for shaking my head at this.

I wish you the best. I do. But as you're gearing up to care for human life, know that there will be FAR graver circumstances in your future.
I don't think he was asking for special snowflake treatment more than he was wishing for more accurate information in regards to the schools administrative protocol to his questions

I don't think he was asking for special snowflake treatment more than he was wishing for more accurate information in regards to the schools administrative protocol to his questions

This was in response to most of his comments on this thread, thus far. Not that particular comment itself. You've missed the point of my post: this is not a time to throw thyself to the floor and weep for your misfortune. This is a time to be hopeful and celebrate how far we've come.

Reactions: 2 users
Thanks for that verse :) I'm like constantly praying haha, but I feel like I'm gonna get a notification out of nowhere, see .edu at the end and just enjoy the rush
I have to remind myself of that particular verse often because some of the "plans" don't feel good at all but they do end up working out for good when looking back.

Damn well that escalated rather quickly. Just because we are worried about getting in it doesn't mean that we aren't thankful for the "food, childhood and life" we were given.

I'm sorry people were treated poorly in north Korea? Let us try to keep this thread on-topic.

To treat people like people should be a natural response. There are literally no temporal downsides to answering these questions honestly. Besides bananafish has a point, even saying "we can't answer this" is better than blatantly lying. And for the record not all schools do this. A lot of schools are helpful and care even though they have "thousands upon thousands of applicants". Its not excuse.

Reactions: 8 users
Damn well that escalated rather quickly. Just because we are worried about getting in it doesn't mean that we aren't thankful for the "food, childhood and life" we were given.

I'm sorry people were treated poorly in north Korea? Let us try to keep this thread on-topic.

To treat people like people should be a natural response. There are literally no temporal downsides to answering these questions honestly. Besides bananafish has a point, even saying "we can't answer this" is better than blatantly lying. And for the record not all schools do this. A lot of schools are helpful and care even though they have "thousands upon thousands of applicants". Its not excuse.

*sigh* No one is escalating anything. I'm trying to get readers to recontextualize their woes -- when you look at how favorable this situation actually is, you begin to realize that it's no reason to hide inside all day or allow it to destroy your mood.

Again, the point of my post is apparently missed. So, I'll call this my exit. Good luck to you all.

Reactions: 4 users
This was in response to most of his comments on this thread, thus far. Not that particular comment itself. You've missed the point of my post: this is not a time to throw thyself to the floor and weep for your misfortune. This is a time to be hopeful and celebrate how far we've come.
Oh how the heavens spite me! Woe is me!