#WaitListedAndProud2016_A Post-April 30th Saga

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Tomorrows still Monday. All is not lost yet

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
It's not over yet. Someone was just accepted at UCLA this morning. Looks like they only had a DO acceptance prior, so they will be giving that up.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I want off of this emotional roller coaster
Me too. Mentally I've gotten off the ride and am getting set for the next year. I have a job interview this week for a really cool research position. At this point I'd rather be pleasantly surprised than get my hopes up and be disappointed.

Sent from my HTC One using SDN mobile

The rule book has been torn up for the people on this thread. There have been too many miracles to make statistical sense. I think more are coming.

There's a big part of me that wants to just be told 'it's not happening. Stop emailing us' just to have some closure. As much as I love the concept of the unranked wait list, I don't like it in practice. I could be next up on the list. Or dead last. I'm sure some of you can understand my frustration here. Unrelated, tried a new donut today. Blueberry fritter. I didn't think it would be good, but it really is. Also like a 2 pound thing so I've only made it halfway through. The struggle is real.

Reactions: 2 users
There's a big part of me that wants to just be told 'it's not happening. Stop emailing us' just to have some closure. As much as I love the concept of the unranked wait list, I don't like it in practice. I could be next up on the list. Or dead last. I'm sure some of you can understand my frustration here. Unrelated, tried a new donut today. Blueberry fritter. I didn't think it would be good, but it really is. Also like a 2 pound thing so I've only made it halfway through. The struggle is real.
Agreed, I don't like being strung along.

Unrelated/related I had a really good chocolate cream filled donut with blue icing for the 4th. Turned my mouth blue but it was worth it

Reactions: 1 users
Story of my life with Tufts' waitlist. It hurts too, because I pretty much kicked their MBS program's ass last year. I just heard from someone that admissions has sent out emails to accepted students asking if anyone wants to defer, so I've pretty much thrown in the towel at this point.

Reactions: 1 user

Yep.

This is my second year being waitlisted, and it would be easier to be outright rejected. I had to tell my employers that I can't give them a 2-week notice if I get a call the day before school starts; I'm also waiting around (until the last minute, mind you) to take out more loans for my Master's.

I suppose I just don't understand how it is such an impossibility to tell a student 'yay' or 'nay' -- all it takes is a look at my file and a brief moment of consideration to determine whether or not one of the last seats will go to me. If not, then I'd be happy with a "bye, Felicia". I'd be merrily on my way, knowing with certainty what is to come. Instead, I'm met with, "Honestly, we don't know." Well, honestly, when you're in my position, it's pretty hard to believe that statement.

"Be patient." Yeah? Well I've been on the waitlist for over 8 months, without any whisper of an indication of my REAL chances, and have to put all concrete plans on-hold in the off chance I get a phone call. Feel like I'm blindly groping about in the vacuum of space...

EDIT: Annnnnndddd as soon as I hit submit on my mini-rant, I get a call from the area code of my prospective school. It was FedEx. *flatline*

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey y'all. Just want to jump on the I'm-waitlisted-and-this-bites-and-I-just-want-to-know-and-I'll-eat-100-bananas-for-an-acceptance bandwagon, if you guys'll have me :sorry:. (I might have added that last bit just for myself..)

Little do you know how much I am rooting for all of us. Can't wait to read about the next person that gets accepted!

Hey y'all. Just want to jump on the I'm-waitlisted-and-this-bites-and-I-just-want-to-know-and-I'll-eat-100-bananas-for-an-acceptance bandwagon, if you guys'll have me :sorry:. (I might have added that last bit just for myself..)

Little do you know how much I am rooting for all of us. Can't wait to read about the next person that gets accepted!

Your avatar is morbid. I love it.

Yep.

This is my second year being waitlisted, and it would be easier to be outright rejected. I had to tell my employers that I can't give them a 2-week notice if I get a call the day before school starts; I'm also waiting around (until the last minute, mind you) to take out more loans for my Master's.

I suppose I just don't understand how it is such an impossibility to tell a student 'yay' or 'nay' -- all it takes is a look at my file and a brief moment of consideration to determine whether or not one of the last seats will go to me. If not, then I'd be happy with a "bye, Felicia". I'd be merrily on my way, knowing with certainty what is to come. Instead, I'm met with, "Honestly, we don't know." Well, honestly, when you're in my position, it's pretty hard to believe that statement.

"Be patient." Yeah? Well I've been on the waitlist for over 8 months, without any whisper of an indication of my REAL chances, and have to put all concrete plans on-hold in the off chance I get a phone call. Feel like I'm blindly groping about in the vacuum of space...

EDIT: Annnnnndddd as soon as I hit submit on my mini-rant, I get a call from the area code of my prospective school. It was FedEx. *flatline*

That whole thing sounds way too familiar. Especially that edit. Like....that's brutal. I'm on the Tulane waitlist, and I get spam calls "from New Orleans" all the time and the caller ID says something something MD which gets me all excited. It's a life alert call. It's happened like 5 times now. And on top of that, I still know exactly zero about my chances. I mean, they're obviously not great at this point, but am I #1 on the wait list or #37?

Story of my life with Tufts' waitlist. It hurts too, because I pretty much kicked their MBS program's ass last year. I just heard from someone that admissions has sent out emails to accepted students asking if anyone wants to defer, so I've pretty much thrown in the towel at this point.
i heard thats one of the better feeder programs too

Hi all. This is my first post. I am not the applicant -- I'm the applicant's partner of five years. Today, my partner got into the med school of his dreams off the waitlist. Instead of being 8 hours away, we'll be able to live together. I called the dean of admissions to say a personal thank you, because instead of facing the prospect of spending four years apart, we're now going to stay in the same apartment we've been living in, and will keep sleeping in the same bed every night.

I have been lurking in this thread for weeks, and without knowing it, you've all been there for me. It's true that a lot of people don't post to SDN. So I wanted to give you all a little hope by saying "it's true, there is movement in July." (I guess it's because I ate a banana from Pret a Manger on Saturday!)

Reactions: 23 users
That whole thing sounds way too familiar. Especially that edit. Like....that's brutal. I'm on the Tulane waitlist, and I get spam calls "from New Orleans" all the time and the caller ID says something something MD which gets me all excited. It's a life alert call. It's happened like 5 times now. And on top of that, I still know exactly zero about my chances. I mean, they're obviously not great at this point, but am I #1 on the wait list or #37?

Life alert -- 5 times?? Splishsplash: is this you?

tumblr_o7pmgpzbsf1uhtb0to1_400.gif

Hi all. This is my first post. I am not the applicant -- I'm the applicant's partner of five years. Today, my partner got into the med school of his dreams off the waitlist. Instead of being 8 hours away, we'll be able to live together. I called the dean of admissions to say a personal thank you, because instead of facing the prospect of spending four years apart, we're now going to stay in the same apartment we've been living in, and will keep sleeping in the same bed every night.

I have been lurking in this thread for weeks, and without knowing it, you've all been there for me. It's true that a lot of people don't post to SDN. So I wanted to give you all a little hope by saying "it's true, there is movement in July." (I guess it's because I ate a banana from Pret a Manger on Saturday!)

You are such a sweetie. :)

I agree the wait is brutal and torturous and I often wished I would've just been rejected instead of waitlisted...until I got my acceptance haha...there's still hope!

On an unrelated note, anyone here playing Pokemon go to pass the time?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Thanks for this.

Also, congrats to you and your partner! I just finished my role as supporting actor to a medical student. Supporting a new resident has been much more....eventful -- he's on ICU rotations and lost 3 patients in a single evening :( If you need any advice, feel free to reach out. Best of luck to you both!

I agree the wait is brutal and torturous and I often wished I would've just been rejected instead of waitlisted...until I got my acceptance haha...there's still hope!

On an unrelated note, anyone here playing Pokemon go to pass the time?

Yes, it's been my main source of exercise of late

Funny I just saw this. Honestly 20 mins ago I got a call from the area code I'm waitlisted at (Penn State) and my heart raced like no other...turned out I "won a $100 gift card". I nearly strangled my coworker next to me in anger/frustration/futility.

Agreed that I wish they'd just put us out of our misery... I was so hopeful for awhile too. I wish I could give up SDN but I always come back to see if one of us has gotten off their WLs.

Agreed that I wish they'd just put us out of our misery... I was so hopeful for awhile too. I wish I could give up SDN but I always come back to see if one of us has gotten off their WLs.
I felt the same way too (by proxy), but you have to realize it's not misery without hope up until the very end. Last night I started crying because my hope was starting to falter....and then today happened.

Someone on the accepted students page for Albany just posted that his would've-been roommate was taken off the waitlist at another school. Let the chain reaction of movement from that begin...crossing my fingers that the ripple effect helps one of you get in

My partner withdrew from a school that has a heavily-watched waitlist on SDN. So either someone will have a very happy update there (soon) or it will be more proof that SDN is not representative.

My partner withdrew from a school that has a heavily-watched waitlist on SDN. So either someone will have a very happy update there (soon) or it will be more proof that SDN is not representative.
NfdaTcp.png

i heard thats one of the better feeder programs too
I took all the same classes as first year med students, nearly every exam was above the medical students' average, and had a 4.0. What else do you need me to do to prove I can succeed within your program?

I took all the same classes as first year med students, nearly every exam was above the medical students' average, and had a 4.0. What else do you need me to do to prove I can succeed within your program?

Similar situation with another well known post-bacc/smp.. I've come to the conclusion that you had to have already been the kind of candidate that school looks for to get an acceptance even if you rock their program

Similar situation with another well known post-bacc/smp.. I've come to the conclusion that you had to have already been the kind of candidate that school looks for to get an acceptance even if you rock their program

If so, that's garbage.

do you think the interview went well?

do you think the interview went well?
I thought so. I had great conversations with both people, and I thought I carried myself pretty well. Granted, it was my only interview, so I have nothing to compare it too.

Georgetown or BU?

I thought so. I had great conversations with both people, and I thought I carried myself pretty well. Granted, it was my only interview, so I have nothing to compare it too.
Too many qualified applicants. Not enough seats.

This warms my heart.

if it was your only interview, thats not a great sign. that could mean even though u did really well in that program, there could be something else in your app holding you down

@docjammin
my ugpa was below average but not really low, so i did a masters to boost it which got me multiple interviews but i got waitlisted on all of them

Georgetown. I really liked the school as well and had an great interview (had a few others as well) but alas no love from them

One of my best friends just finished there last summer too! Said the same thing. He's going to med school in Southhampton starting in September, so he's not bitter.

@docjammin
my ugpa was below average but not really low, so i did a masters to boost it which got me multiple interviews but i got waitlisted on all of them
My verbal MCAT score (most recent, and new MCAT) wasn't all that great, but everything else was pretty solid. Because of it I scored what would've been the equivalent of a 28-29 on the old test. I have at least 500 hours of clinical experience, believe to have pretty solid LOR, my undergrad grades were so-so, but I would hope my grad courses would make up for that.

My verbal MCAT score (most recent, and new MCAT) wasn't all that great, but everything else was pretty solid. Because of it I scored what would've been the equivalent of a 28-29 on the old test. I have at least 500 hours of clinical experience, believe to have pretty solid LOR, my undergrad grades were so-so, but I would hope my grad courses would make up for that.
ya thats not surprising at all. i also had so-so ugpa and a 31 mcat. so i got interviews but even for lower ranked schools the avg is still like 3.7-3.8 and like 31-32 so i wasnt shocked at all by being waitlisted. i am disappointed tho that none of them are working out

Ah! I had similar stats. 30 MCAT, only 400 hours of clinical (not including shadowing), strong LORs, decent GPA, and leadership positions. I didn't take grad courses though. Aside from that, also just 1 interview.

ya thats not surprising at all. i also had so-so ugpa and a 31 mcat. so i got interviews but even for lower ranked schools the avg is still like 3.7-3.8 and like 31-32 so i wasnt shocked at all by being waitlisted. i am disappointed tho that none of them are working out
It's tough. :( I'm still hoping Upstate pulls through for the both of us...even if it's the day before.