WCU COM Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Campus is in the bad part of town and the infamous Hattiesburg smell can bring you to your knees some mornings. The nicer apartments are in Oak Grove.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I have read many negative things about this school too many class hours, bad teachers, required attendance, ect. Would any of the current students recommend this school? Have you heard of any changes being proposed? I have been accepted to LMU but I like Hattiesburg, so I am checking out WCU.

I have read many negative things about this school too many class hours, bad teachers, required attendance, ect. Would any of the current students recommend this school? Have you heard of any changes being proposed? I have been accepted to LMU but I like Hattiesburg, so I am checking out WCU.

You can go back thru the pages of this thread and get all kinds of opinions and that should answer most of your questions. I have given my opinion there. If you have any more questions then please feel free to PM me.

Come on down and see for yourself, then you will be in a better position to make up your mind.

Members don't see this ad :)

1.) Thank you for not automatically attacking those of us that criticize our school. We have our reasons.

2.) You should definitely come check this place out (never close a door until you see what's inside).

3.) Since you asked, If I were you I would think seriously about what is important you.
Try to imagine yourself in medical school with a load of tests coming, in class a lot,
sleep deprived, and wondering if you are being prepared for boards.

4.) Now with that in mind, look closely at the way in which the curriculum of the schools you are accepted to may improve or worsen the above situation for you. This may not seem all that important right now because eveyone your whole life has probably told you "medical school is so so hard" and "getting in is so hard". It is hard because of the amount of information coming at you, but it can be made exponentially more difficult based on the structure of your school's curriculum/ rules and regulations.

5.) As stereotypical as it may sound, make a pros and cons spreadsheet and score the 2, 3 or however many schools you get into. Again, I would definitely keep in mind (almost top priority) the school that will give you the best opportunity to become the best DO or MD you can be. And yes, hours in class, attendance policy, note taking service, and (teachers testing for COMLEX/ USMLE success) all play a huge role in this, so please don't overlook it like I did.

6.) There has been talk about decreasing class hours and a 70% instead of 80% class attendance policy proposal in the works(which passed the student body by 94% in favor of --167 students that voted) When and if these are implemented is another question. It is a good chance the situation will be somewhat improved by the time you attend.

7.) The real problem, unless they are starting to wise up, is an administration that fails to use what already works and then not acting fast enouge when things start going wrong. This maybe a problem at all schools, but I think a new school should be able to adapt more quickly to a better learning environment for its students since its bones have not yet calcified (pardon the analogy).

8.) Another thing, make sure you want to learn OMT because you may not have the time to use it as a physician. The class, OP&P, takes up a lot of study time and class time (Physiology is only 1 semester etc..) away from the nuts and bolts of being a physician in a 30-35 plus patient a day work schedule. I'm not trying to change your mind about DO, but these are just facts that I have picked up from practicing DOs, unfortunately after the fact. Since it seems like you have already gone after DO, just know what you are coming into. Who knows, you may love the class and practice mostly OMT when you become a DO.

9.) When you do come for an interview, realize that you are probably not going to hear many negative things for a couple of reasons:
a.) Students are not going to sit in front of the welcoming committee (composed of fellow students) during lunch and tell you all the things that the school is doing wrong
or all the reasons to look elsewhere. In other words, you will probably get a
biased outlook.
b.) There is a good chance you will probably be talking to a member of the
welcoming committee unless you single someone else out or vice versa.
Remember, its a business and they want your money.

10.) I'm sure that where ever you go, you will do well. Just do you research, and SDN is not a bad place to start, contrary to what some say. Like MAKES SENSE said you can get many opinions from reading these pages of comments, but also remember that many have stood by and remained silent even though they agree with some or most of the criticisms stated here.

Yes, we are here now, but why not try to improve it along the way.

In all sincerity, Good luck man!

Last edited:
1.) Thank you for not automatically attacking those of us that criticize our school. We have our reasons.

2.) You should definitely come check this place out (never close a door until you see what's inside).

3.) Since you asked, If I were you I would think seriously about what is important you.
Try to imagine yourself in medical school with a load of tests coming, in class a lot,
sleep deprived, and wondering if you are being prepared for boards.

4.) Now with that in mind, look closely at the way in which the curriculum of the schools you are accepted to may improve or worsen the above situation for you. This may not seem all that important right now because eveyone your whole life has probably told you "medical school is so so hard" and "getting in is so hard". It is hard because of the amount of information coming at you, but it can be made exponentially more difficult based on the structure of your school's curriculum/ rules and regulations.

5.) As stereotypical as it may sound, make a pros and cons spreadsheet and score the 2, 3 or however many schools you get into. Again, I would definitely keep in mind (almost top priority) the school that will give you the best opportunity to become the best DO or MD you can be. And yes, hours in class, attendance policy, note taking service, and (teachers testing for COMLEX/ USMLE success) all play a huge role in this, so please don't overlook it like I did.

6.) There has been talk about decreasing class hours and a 70% instead of 80% class attendance policy proposal in the works(which passed the student body by 94% in favor of --167 students that voted) When and if these are implemented is another question. It is a good chance the situation will be somewhat improved by the time you attend.

7.) The real problem, unless they are starting to wise up, is an administration that fails to use what already works and then not acting fast enouge when things start going wrong. This maybe a problem at all schools, but I think a new school should be able to adapt more quickly to a better learning environment for its students since its bones have not yet calcified (pardon the analogy).

8.) Another thing, make sure you want to learn OMT because you may not have the time to use it as a physician. The class, OP&P, takes up a lot of study time and class time (Physiology is only 1 semester etc..) away from the nuts and bolts of being a physician in a 30-35 plus patient a day work schedule. I'm not trying to change your mind about DO, but these are just facts that I have picked up from practicing DOs, unfortunately after the fact. Since it seems like you have already gone after DO, just know what you are coming into. Who knows, you may love the class and practice mostly OMT when you become a DO.

9.) When you do come for an interview, realize that you are probably not going to hear many negative things for a couple of reasons:
a.) Students are not going to sit in front of the welcoming committee (composed of fellow students) during lunch and tell you all the things that the school is doing wrong
or all the reasons to look elsewhere. In other words, you will probably get a
biased outlook.
b.) There is a good chance you will probably be talking to a member of the
welcoming committee unless you single someone else out or vice versa.
Remember, its a business and they want your money.

10.) I'm sure that where ever you go, you will do well. Just do you research, and SDN is not a bad place to start, contrary to what some say. Like MAKES SENSE said you can get many opinions from reading these pages of comments, but also remember that many have stood by and remained silent even though they agree with some or most of the criticisms stated here.

Yes, we are here now, but why not try to improve it along the way.

In all sincerity, Good luck man!

I'd just like to point out that members of the Welcoming Committee are telling incoming students the way they see it; we aren't trying to be biased, or spray a cloud of rainbows and sunshine over everyone who visits. We will be honest with those who ask, we will share the negatives and positives about both WCUCOM and medical school. We are here to help you, the person interviewing, have your questions answered and have an enjoyable interview experience....to help make your life a little less stressful during your interview day.

Yes, do your research. Yes we are trying to make changes for the better. The Class of 2016 is going to have it much better than the first two classes, which makes sense. Don't be afraid of the negative comments, everyone is entitled to their opinion and it does you good to hear both the pros and cons of any school. But, don't think the positives are false, either. WCU COM is a good place with a lot of people-students and faculty alike- that genuinely care and want us to be successful. There are frustrations, yes. We, as a whole, are trying to make this school better.

Good luck!! :)

How many hours of classes are do you take in your first year and what is the schedule like at this school? Are you in class from 8-4 or what?

This may change

Fall Semester 1:

Monday:

1.) Histology: (8-10am) with10 min break in b/t hours
2.) Gross Anatomy Lecture: (10-12)
3.) Lunch: 12-1pm
4.) Gross Anatomy Lab: (1-4pm)

Tuesday: Same as monday

Wednesday:

1.) OP&P: 8-9am lecture
2.) OP&P: 3 hours of lab for each group (A or B) (9am-12 or 1-4pm)

Thursday:

1.) Embryo: (8-10am)

Friday:

1.) Histology: (8-10am)
2.) Embryo: (10-12)
3.) Physical Diagnosis: (1-3)

Two random questions. Does this school have intramurals? What are the odds of this school not getting full accreditation and what factors could contribute to that?

Two random questions. Does this school have intramurals? What are the odds of this school not getting full accreditation and what factors could contribute to that?

The school does have intramurals.

The chances of WCU not getting accreditation will be there until the 1st class graduates. The school has to respond to the COCA requirements or not be accredited. On the last COCA accreditation meeting at WCU, a little over a month ago, the clinical dean received a commendation on WCU's clinical rotations.

These are facts. (I believed that they are documented.)

This is my opinion. It is highly unlikely that WCU will not get accreditation. From my understanding of things, WCU is moving toward accreditation as quickly as they can.

I have some questions. I'll appreciate if anyone answers.When does the classes start?. Are we supposed to get any matriculation forms from the school? Is there any white coat fitting? Can we get the scrubs or does the school sell them?
I'm looking for rental apartments. Any acepted students that have already looked thru the places please post your thoughts on them.

I have some questions. I'll appreciate if anyone answers.When does the classes start?. Are we supposed to get any matriculation forms from the school? Is there any white coat fitting? Can we get the scrubs or does the school sell them?
I'm looking for rental apartments. Any acepted students that have already looked thru the places please post your thoughts on them.

Classes start August 1, you can email Dr. Weir or Emily Bennett to ask about Orientation dates/class start dates to confirm.

You will receive a registration packet later this spring. In it, you will be able to order your white coat, and scrub tops. I'd go try on a few before sending in your order form to the school. This way you know which ones are the best size. (where a t shirt under them when you try them on)

If you join the Facebook WCU COM Class of 2016 group, there is a huge post about apartments and people's thoughts.

I am trying to decide between LMU and WCU. Does anybody have any suggestions that might make my decision easier?

I am trying to decide between LMU and WCU. Does anybody have any suggestions that might make my decision easier?

LMU is a good school and you would not go wrong going there. I interviewed there and was impressed. Here are some questions, in no particular order of importance, to ask yourself:

1. If married, which community provides a better opportunity for my spouse?

2. Which place did I feel more "at home"?

3. What type of impression did I get of the school from the student body?

4. Do I want to deal with snow & ice?

5. If I do get some down time, what is close to the school (within a couple of hours drive)

6. Does the size of the class matter?

7. How close is it to home?

8. How are the clinical rotations?

I asked myself these questions and a few others and WCU was my top choice. If you are married, be sure to get your spouses input on what they think.

I hope this helps. Best of luck on whatever you decide

Members don't see this ad :)
LMU match list for the first class was very impressive. You can find it one this site. MakesSense had some very important questions to ask yourself when deciding. The interview days at KCUMB and KCOM made me feel like a fish out of water. The facilities and faculty were top notch, but the students and those interviewing seemed to have an elitist attitude. There are a lot of good people in my first year class, and I know if I ever need something they would be there in a flash. That's something that is very important when you are far from home. Just something to keep in mind.

This may change

Fall Semester 1:

Monday:

1.) Histology: (8-10am) with10 min break in b/t hours

Tuesday: Same as monday

Wednesday:

1.) OP&P: 8-9am lecture
2.) OP&P: 3 hours of lab for each group (A or B) (9am-12 or 1-4pm)

Thursday:

1.) Embryo: (8-10am)

Friday:

1.) Histology: (8-10am)
2.) Embryo: (10-12)
3.) Physical Diagnosis: (1-3)

Those hours are not that bad. I've been in worse and I can tell you that the schedule that you put up pales in comparison to what I have seen.

Those hours are not that bad. I've been in worse and I can tell you that the schedule that you put up pales in comparison to what I have seen.
yeah, but this is medical school we're talking about where most of the learning will be taking place outside the classroom on your own time. when this much of your day is spent inside the classroom, this doesn't leave very much time to learn. I'm not trying to be an A-hole, but you can't sit here and compare your undergrad schedule to our schedule. We were taking 28 credit hours last fall & 32 this spring, i highly doubt you had any kind of schedule as an undergrad that would look worse. Most undergrad institutions have a limit on how many hours you can take in one semester.

Last edited:
yeah, but this is medical school we're talking about where most of the learning will be taking place outside the classroom on your own time. when this much of your day is spent inside the classroom, this doesn't leave very much time to learn. I'm not trying to be an A-hole, but you can't sit here and compare your undergrad schedule to our schedule. We were taking 28 credit hours last fall & 32 this spring, i highly doubt you had any kind of schedule as an undergrad that would look worse. Most undergrad institutions have a limit on how many hours you can take in one semester.

hold up...I never mentioned anything about comparing it to an undergrad schedule? Don't come in here and start trash because it's not going to get you anywhere.

I just declined an acceptance here..hope it goes to one of you interviewing soon. Good luck!

"Try to imagine yourself in medical school with a load of tests coming, in class a lot,
sleep deprived, and wondering if you are being prepared for boards."

Yes indeed! AND, if you cannot imagine this as being the NORM??- just perhaps medical school is not for you.

hold up...I never mentioned anything about comparing it to an undergrad schedule? Don't come in here and start trash because it's not going to get you anywhere.
you said you've been in worse.. if it's not your undergrad schedule then you're either referring to your elementary school schedule or some master's/PhD schedule. And I wasn't the one who came in here and 'start trash,'
I distinctly remember someone saying our schedule 'pales' in comparison to what you've been through.

hi, I have an interview coming up on March 19th. i was wondering if anyone has any tips? or any input on what kind of questions they stressed?

also about the schedule that was posted earlier, does this mean that all of the first year courses are only a semester long, except for those that specifically say they are fall/spring courses? (and that anatomy and physiology are one semester courses? because that is going to be very difficult, but it kinda makes sense as to why they want to do that. any one know what the second year schedule looks like?).
I was also wondering how the syllabus for each of the classes are organised. so for example, if in anatomy you are talking about the GI system, would you also be talking about this in your other classes?
the catalog also says that students are required to take BLS/ALS before they start their rotations. I didn't see it in the list of courses for the second year. is this something you have to do your self out side of the school or is it apart of the school curriculum?

thanks!! (school looks amazing so far)

hi, I have an interview coming up on March 19th. i was wondering if anyone has any tips? or any input on what kind of questions they stressed?

also about the schedule that was posted earlier, does this mean that all of the first year courses are only a semester long, except for those that specifically say they are fall/spring courses? (and that anatomy and physiology are one semester courses? because that is going to be very difficult, but it kinda makes sense as to why they want to do that. any one know what the second year schedule looks like?).
I was also wondering how the syllabus for each of the classes are organised. so for example, if in anatomy you are talking about the GI system, would you also be talking about this in your other classes?
the catalog also says that students are required to take BLS/ALS before they start their rotations. I didn't see it in the list of courses for the second year. is this something you have to do your self out side of the school or is it apart of the school curriculum?

I interviewed last week and received acceptance Friday. The interview was very relaxed with basic questions. Who are you and why do you want to be a DO. I was thoroughly impressed with the school, faculty and the students. If you get a chance to meet some students before the interview do that.

Good luck

The BLS will be part of the ICCBM course the first semester.The professors try to integrate topics when they can, but the bad thing is that you will not see much integration of topic until the later 1/2 to1/3rd of the 1st semester. There is much more integratration the second semester.

For us, the basic science courses were/are 1 semester each. The exception was the Neuroanatomy (8 weeks)/Immunology (12 weeks) combination.

I think they are redoing the second year schedule so I cannot comment on that

The BLS will be part of the ICCBM course the first semester.The professors try to integrate topics when they can, but the bad thing is that you will not see much integration of topic until the later 1/2 to1/3rd of the 1st semester. There is much more integratration the second semester.

For us, the basic science courses were/are 1 semester each. The exception was the Neuroanatomy (8 weeks)/Immunology (12 weeks) combination.

I think they are redoing the second year schedule so I cannot comment on that

^^What Makessense said.

Also, anatomy/physiology are going to be incredibly difficult and demanding of your time no matter how long you make these courses. Don't let the one semester courses your first year discourage you. We have some amazing faculty that are very helpful in making sure you get through the material and understand it.

As for integration of courses, yes this happens. However, you will not notice the integration until later in the first semester and especially the second semester. But I have found myself remembering material from first semester to help me remember/understand material I'm learning this semester.

^^What Makessense said.

Also, anatomy/physiology are going to be incredibly difficult and demanding of your time no matter how long you make these courses. Don't let the one semester courses your first year discourage you. We have some amazing faculty that are very helpful in making sure you get through the material and understand it.

As for integration of courses, yes this happens. However, you will not notice the integration until later in the first semester and especially the second semester. But I have found myself remembering material from first semester to help me remember/understand material I'm learning this semester.

wow, so that means 36 credits and 7 classes second semester? I know someone mentioned that the second year is going to be reorganized, but are u guys taking pharm, patho, micro and neuro are each only a semester long? because im taking pharm right now, and there is no way anyone can manage all that information in one semester, esp when you have to worry about other classes at the same time.

thanks for all the help guys. all the info im getting here is great. plus im liking the school even more.

wow, so that means 36 credits and 7 classes second semester? I know someone mentioned that the second year is going to be reorganized, but are u guys taking pharm, patho, micro and neuro are each only a semester long? because im taking pharm right now, and there is no way anyone can manage all that information in one semester, esp when you have to worry about other classes at the same time.

thanks for all the help guys. all the info im getting here is great. plus im liking the school even more.

Pharm,Path, and Micro are 2nd year courses at WCU. There is talk that Pharm & Path will be year long courses but Micro & Neuroscience will still be only one semester courses.

Pharm,Path, and Micro are 2nd year courses at WCU. There is talk that Pharm & Path will be year long courses but Micro & Neuroscience will still be only one semester courses.

Right.

It is 32 hours during the 2nd semester of your OMS I year. 7 classes, but you are taking 6 classes at one time, since you do not neuroanatomy and immunology at the same time, but start immunology after neuro has finished. Also,we have neuroanatomy for (7)8 weeks 1st year and neuroscience for a semester 2nd year.

I know this will irritate all of the complainers on this thread, but I am so excited about my interview tomorrow (actually today) that I can't sleep! Best of luck to anyone else on here who is also interviewing. I look forward to meeting you! I hope to really impress the folks at WCU. Attending here means that I wouldn't have to move :)

I know this will irritate all of the complainers on this thread, but I am so excited about my interview tomorrow (actually today) that I can't sleep! Best of luck to anyone else on here who is also interviewing. I look forward to meeting you! I hope to really impress the folks at WCU. Attending here means that I wouldn't have to move :)

good luck! I'm sure you'll do great, and as I'm sure you know they want people from the area

I have to say that my interview today was nothing like I expected. It was really awesome! I had car trouble and they called me to make sure that I wasn't lost. The school facilities are very nice. The other people that interviewed with me seemed very sharp. The students who had lunch with us were candid, and I got a positive impression of their overall experience. I was able visit with both first and second year students (for both of the years the school has been in operation). I have already lived in Hattiesburg, so I am looking forward to being there again.
The school has gone from being at the top of my list for practical reasons to being at the top of my list period. I hope to hear a positive result :xf:

"Try to imagine yourself in medical school with a load of tests coming, in class a lot,
sleep deprived, and wondering if you are being prepared for boards."

Yes indeed! AND, if you cannot imagine this as being the NORM??- just perhaps medical school is not for you.

Maybe you should not take what I say out of context. Please read the post that you quoted again. It clearly states that problem is not the "norm" for medical school, but the extra barriers put in place by the administration. Would you purposefully attend a school that would make your path to success more difficult? I have not attacked you directly, why have you resorted to this. You are part of the administration, not THE administration or THE faculty, so don't take it so personal. Maybe you really do have the student's best interest in mind. I know you have given the impression that this school puts the student first, and this is understandable since you are promoting the institution you work for. The point is, if you were to take a poll, what you are promoting may not be as apparent as you would like it to be.

If things can't be changed, tell us why.

Again:

1.) What research have you based class attendance vs. performance on?
2.) Note taking service
3.) video recorded lectures

I am currently a WCUCOM student. Here's my input:

1.) It's a great osteopathic medical school.

2.) We have really awesome rotations set up with doctors who are very eager to work with medical students in one of the most underserved areas in the country. I have a friend who is a 4th year from another COM, but did his rotations where WCU now has relationships in Mississippi and he was doing solo surgeries as a 3rd year student with the attending verbally directing him at his side. Very few MD or DO schools have that kind of opportunities for their clinical rotations. It is usually several students following an attending around like lost puppies. That's what being in a very medically underserved area presents as an opportunity.

3.) If you get accepted, we will be extremely happy and excited to see you next year.

school was great! students are great! teachers were great and very easy to talk to. lets all cross our fingers for me! :xf::xf::xf::xf:

Wow. Im applying here next year and the comments really make you think. I live in MS and did undergrad at Southern Miss which is in Hattiesburg and has "problems" of its own. The schools in Hattiesburg seem to be care more about their bottom line than the students. Taking 9 classes the end of your second year is ridiculous anyway you look at it! When do these poor students have time for board study? I think the students brave enough to talk about the negatives are mostly from out of state. Institutions of higher learning in MS have a very "Im the boss I make the rules attitude" and MS students are just very passive for some reason? I don't know why, I think the "do as you're told" southern culture is stronger here than anywhere else. I would like to talk with some of the second years here who advocate for change, I feel I could get a more complete picture talking to some of the actual students. Please PM me, I would greatly appreciate the help with making choices for my future. Thank you :)

the comments in this thread have really made me think twice about my interest in attending WCU

the comments in this thread have really made me think twice about my interest in attending WCU

The truth is always somewhere in the middle. I just hope they are making improvements with each year. I sympathize with the current students. They are ending up to be guinea pigs for the rest of us. Just gotta go in with eyes wide open to what's going on.

Wow. Im applying here next year and the comments really make you think. I live in MS and did undergrad at Southern Miss which is in Hattiesburg and has "problems" of its own. The schools in Hattiesburg seem to be care more about their bottom line than the students. Taking 9 classes the end of your second year is ridiculous anyway you look at it! When do these poor students have time for board study? I think the students brave enough to talk about the negatives are mostly from out of state. Institutions of higher learning in MS have a very "Im the boss I make the rules attitude" and MS students are just very passive for some reason? I don't know why, I think the "do as you're told" southern culture is stronger here than anywhere else. I would like to talk with some of the second years here who advocate for change, I feel I could get a more complete picture talking to some of the actual students. Please PM me, I would greatly appreciate the help with making choices for my future. Thank you :)

No need to PM, but I do have the nontrad point of view, which may differ somewhat from yours. I've attemded school in the west, the midwest, and MS over the last 20 years, and I can tell you that the "do as you're told" thought process just means you are attending a university and not a public high school. I ultimately graduated from USM, and chose the DO philosophy because I agree with it. I do agree that USM, like all schools, has positive and negative aspects. I worked for residence life and had many good experiences. I had a few not-so-good, but reality isn't sunshine and butterflies. Instead of just reading this thread, I suggest that you go by WCU and talk to them. Your opinion of your experience will be the most accurate for you. You can do the same at UMC. you'll notice the difference right away. Which is positive depends very much on your point of view. There is also USA in Mobile and and an MBBS program through Oschner in New Orleans. All have a different "feel". Only you can decide which is best for you. Then you have to qualify.
Good Luck :)

The truth is always somewhere in the middle. I just hope they are making improvements with each year. I sympathize with the current students. They are ending up to be guinea pigs for the rest of us. Just gotta go in with eyes wide open to what's going on.

WCU is only in its second year. There will be growing pains!

I would venture to guess that if you go back to the 2nd year of some of our newer OMS's, here on SDN, that there would be some griping. Disclaimer: This is an opinion.

Things have changed from the 1st to 2nd class here at WCU. I expect further changes between the 2nd & 3rd class. Will these changes satisfy everyone? No, they will not.

If you are looking for a med school that runs perfectly with no problems, then WCU is not for you. BTW, good luck in finding that perfect medical school. 75% of the way thru my first year here at WCU, I am satisfied with my choice.

If you have interviewed/visited here, then make your choice on how well you fit at WCU and how well WCU fits you. If you have not interviewed/visited here, then you have an incomplete picture of WCU.

Just my $ 0.02 worth.

:cool::D accepted! cant wait to get started!

Im from chicago, any one need a roommate or know a first year who does?

:cool::D accepted! cant wait to get started!

Im from chicago, any one need a roommate or know a first year who does?

Start with the Facebook group and see who might be looking for a room mate. Also Hattiesburg has 2 complexes that caters to students.

Hey everyone,

I've spent the past few hours reading through SDN about the school and I'm super excited to have received an interview date today; however, I'm kind of worried that its pretty late in the year. I confirmed the date today. The date is set for April 24th. Should I call to try to schedule it for an earlier date?

I'm worried that the acceptance rate may be lower this late into the year with the 2016 class already close to full capacity?

Thanks.

Hey everyone,

I've spent the past few hours reading through SDN about the school and I'm super excited to have received an interview date today; however, I'm kind of worried that its pretty late in the year. I confirmed the date today. The date is set for April 24th. Should I call to try to schedule it for an earlier date?

I'm worried that the acceptance rate may be lower this late into the year with the 2016 class already close to full capacity?

Thanks.

I interviewed on April 19th of last year and I was accepted, along with 4 others in my group. However, each application cycle is different

I interviewed on April 19th of last year and I was accepted, along with 4 others in my group. However, each application cycle is different

In my own opinion, WCU COM is not offering interviews to waste your time in traveling down here just to reject you. They are giving you an interview because they are genuinely interested in you. Good luck!!:)

In my own opinion, WCU COM is not offering interviews to waste your time in traveling down here just to reject you. They are giving you an interview because they are genuinely interested in you. Good luck!!:)

Well that def. helps me feel better about it. My only worry is that I haven't shadowed a D.O. yet, however, I have emailed a few so I can hopefully get shadow one the next 20 or so days to show WC that I am taking the D.O. opportunity seriously. I received an email from the school today asking if I wanted to move my interview to Apr. 20, which I agreed to. I'll be coming in from Millsaps in Jackson.

Anyway thanks for the help, good luck to everyone else who has applied.

Well that def. helps me feel better about it. My only worry is that I haven't shadowed a D.O. yet, however, I have emailed a few so I can hopefully get shadow one the next 20 or so days to show WC that I am taking the D.O. opportunity seriously. I received an email from the school today asking if I wanted to move my interview to Apr. 20, which I agreed to. I'll be coming in from Millsaps in Jackson.

Anyway thanks for the help, good luck to everyone else who has applied.

If you are willing to drive a bit, South Central Regional hospital in Laurel has quite a few DOs on staff. There are also a few in Meridian that work with the school as adjunct faculty.

If you haven't contacted Dr. Ashley Hood (OBGYN) in Jackson, get in touch with his office. Good luck on the interview!

If you are willing to drive a bit, South Central Regional hospital in Laurel has quite a few DOs on staff. There are also a few in Meridian that work with the school as adjunct faculty.

If you haven't contacted Dr. Ashley Hood (OBGYN) in Jackson, get in touch with his office. Good luck on the interview!

I've noted Dr. Hood's number. I'll be sure to call tomorrow. Hopefully this doesn't come off as a last minute kind of thing to WCU and instead shows I care about the osteopathic program. I've shadowed an MD before also.

Thanks again, this thread has been extremely helpful.