WCU COM Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks for the heads-up and the input to both of you. I'd rather be prepared than be blind-sided by something the first week of class.

And thanks for making medical school a little less of a terrifying thing, DrSooner :) It's nice to know that it IS doable, even if it's a lot of work.

Members don't see this ad.

A lot of valid arguments here, but if the attendance policy is one of the biggest issues, we'll encounter, I'm not too worried. While it could cut into study time, maybe the bigger issue is how effectively are the professors/lecturers using the time to present the material? If the lectures are good, being in class is not a waste.

Interviewing on March 19!! So excited!! anyone else interviewing on that date?

Do the students who have already interviewed have any tips!?

Members don't see this ad :)

First off, congrats on the interview invite! You really just have to relax & be yourself. Mostly standard questions like: Why DO? Why Hattiesburg/WCU?... they also ask some specific questions related to your file. Its nothing too harsh. Nothing is guaranteed, but getting the interview puts you in a pretty good spot.

Here is a spread sheet that compares match lists, GPA/MCAT scores of matriculates, COMLEX scores, and other types of data. It includes:

-2011-2008 Match lists for many osteopathic schools
- comparison of match results between schools
-GPA/MCAT scores, a profiles of average matriculating students compared between all Osteopathic schools,
-COMLEX scores for some schools
- You'll also find comparison of tuition / graduate indebtedness between schools

https://sites.google.com/site/osteopathicreference/home

(I can't host the spread sheet on the forums because of size limits)

I apologize in advance that I will be mass posting this through out the forums this afternoon but many people have been looking for this data and I want the to be able to find it!

I'm interviewing March 19 as well, and driving up from the MS coast. I am pretty excited too! I earned my undergrad degree from USM in "the 'burg" and would love to return to the area.

I would like to do my rotations on the MS coast. Are any second year students on this thread planning to do the same?

Where are they doing their rotations?

I'm interviewing March 19 as well, and driving up from the MS coast. I am pretty excited too! I earned my undergrad degree from USM in "the 'burg" and would love to return to the area.

I would like to do my rotations on the MS coast. Are any second year students on this thread planning to do the same?
I'm a first year and i plan on doing that because i'm from the area. What part of Gulf are you from?

and rtmax if you go to this website: http://www.wmcarey.edu/COM/AboutWCUCOM/1786/ClinicalSites.shtm
you can see where the main rotation sites are

:D just got the interview for march 20th =)

any heads up on anything?! this is my very first interview. so nervous. I'm from florida so this is an almost perfect distance from home!

any help is always greatly appreciated!!

For those of you applying and find this post concerning, and to Member992:

Yes, we have 80% attendance policy. Yes, it's tiring sometimes to go to class that much. Member 992, it's appreciated that you posted this in a way that does not tear down WCU COM, but simply voices your opinion. That being said, we recently had a COCA team visit us, and they genuinely listened to our concerns and took action on the attendance, lecture schedule, etc. that seemed overwhelming to our two classes. It appears that there will be some changes that will lessen the amount of scheduled lecture time. So, with all due respect, we are getting a say in this school and what goes on with us.

Secondly, I want to say this, as part of my own opinion: this is medical school. We were told about the mandatory attendance policy, at least the current OMS I class was (it was in the school's handbook). Besides that, 80% in some classes gives you a lot of absences (ex: biochem has 60 class days...so that gives ~12 absences in that class--much much allowed than in any undergrad course I took). Some classes are tiring to go to, absolutely. But, it could be a lot worse. I think VCOM has 100% mandatory attendance, and has assigned seating. At least we are not treated like first graders in that respect. We get to choose where we sit and can change seats! Yes, Osteopathic Principles & Practices is 100% mandatory. But that's not to say if you are really sick the professors will make you stay, I've seen them tell people to go home and get rest. The fact is, I wasn't expecting to have to go to class only some of the time. I still get a lot done, and learning to power nap. Yes, the OMS II class has it harder than the OMS I class does. Thanks to the OMS II class, our (OMS I) class has a lot better scheduling and other things in place that are helping us out. And, yes, I feel bad for the OMS II class for areas that aren't changing for them and how overwhelmed they are.

We are working on getting note taking services going, and you can record the lectures if the teacher allows it. They just don't like it being posted on the internet to the world.

If you are applying to medical school thinking it's going to be sunshine and puppies the entire time, you are kidding yourself. This is the most challenging thing you'll ever do. And life does not stop because you are in medical school. But it's doable. Not only is it doable, but it is completely possible to do really well in medical school.

WCU COM is a great school. We have problems, yes. They're working on them. We have faculty that not everyone gets along with, but that goes in every part of life. It seems rare that you are in a work/school/any environment where you will like every single person that is there, and will never get annoyed with those people. I listen to other students from other schools and we all have things to gripe about, just for griping's sake. We're under a ton of stress and overwhelmed a lot. It's getting better. But I wouldn't go to another D.O. school over WCU COM even knowing the frustrations that we have now. It's hard being part of the first classes to go through the school. But, IMHO, it's very worth it. It's really exciting, and there are faculty that listen to us and do their best to make life as easy as they can manage for us.

1.) Why does it take COCA to bring changes when we have an administration that is supposed to work with us through the student government? THIS KIND OF DISCONNECT IS VERY DYSFUNCTIONAL ESPECIALLY FOR A NEW SCHOOL.

2.) When will these changes occur.....when we graduate? I'll believe it when I see it.

3.) Most undergrad schooling does not have 100 or even 80% required attendance.

4.) If being able to pick your own seats is a privilege, then we're not being treated like 1st graders we are being treated like 5th graders....what a great improvement.

5.) If you can read at an average pace then a lecture will never compete with reading for 2 hours instead of going to class.

6.) If they reduced our hours we would still probably be in class for longer than the national average.

Yes, it was my decision to come here but honestly I sincerely regret it based on how much I am paying, the quality of the services I am receiving, and the way the administration treats the student body here

Last edited:
As future doctors, you have to learn to deal with the procedures and regulations put forth. To complain and complain about it is unprofessional. I honestly believe member992 is sour about his life and for him to spread his negativity around is uncalled for.

Sitting in class listening to lectures is what you paid for as part of your medical education, so make the best of it and learn to manage your time outside of class so that you don't complain about almost everything in life.

TexasGuy and BossDoc: you guys aren't concerned, huh? I assume there isn't a school anywhere on Earth where every student is perfectly happy... Just wondering about the opinions of my future classmates/extended family :)

As future doctors, you have to learn to deal with the procedures and regulations put forth. To complain and complain about it is unprofessional. I honestly believe member992 is sour about his life and for him to spread his negativity around is uncalled for.

Sitting in class listening to lectures is what you paid for as part of your medical education, so make the best of it and learn to manage your time outside of class so that you don't complain about almost everything in life.

I would hug you if I could. Kudos. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
TexasGuy and BossDoc: you guys aren't concerned, huh? I assume there isn't a school anywhere on Earth where every student is perfectly happy... Just wondering about the opinions of my future classmates/extended family :)

I wouldnt say that I'm not concerned, but I think its something I can handle. In life you have to be flexible. I'm happy & excited for the opportunity to go to WCU and reach my goals. I'm not going to complain or make excuses about an attendance policy.

^^ I like it. Member992, just be glad you aren't at a Caribbean medical school with 500-600 members in the entering class, pay 10-15 thousand dollars more for tuition, and be outside of the United States for two years, AND have a harder time getting a residency because you're a FMG. They don't have an attendance policy though..

Texas Guy,

You are defending WCUCOM like it is the only place you got in. If I rained on your parade, I apologize, but you are a big boy now and sometimes the truth hurts. You may love it here, but at least 50% of the students in my class are very unhappy about these same issues. For example, we had a teacher mediated group discussion the other day. During the discussion, which was not directly related to the attendance policy, 7 out of 8 of the students involved each brought up these same issues voicing their concerns. It was so intense, that the mediator had to try to get us back on track twice. BTW, I am in the top 10% of the class so its not like I can't handle it. We want more time to learn more and prepare for the boards. In order for this to occur the administration has to do the right thing and serve the students since we are the ones paying their salaries.

You can kill the messenger, but each of you will have to experience it to understand. Maybe you will be pleasantly suprised, and I hope you are. However, if things proceed on the same course it will be a rude awakening.

As to Dr. Sooner DO

I may be wrong, but I have a feeling that this person is a member of the welcoming commitee which will predispose this individual to be biased against anyone that voices criticisms about the school. Remember always look at motive. Ours is simple: We want our money's worth out of our medical education.

I agree w/ everything Member992 says in previous posts.

To TexasGuy2010, Member992 is not complaining just for the sake of complaining. I would go on to say that over half of my class feels the exact same way. People like Dr.SoonerDO are definitely in the minority. The administration has shown time & again that they care very little for our input & thus for our well-being. Instead of actually trying to work with the students to iron out any and all problems like professionals, they dismiss/ignore/refuse to acknowledge these legitimate issues. The administration goes out of its way to place barriers & restrictions on things that could ultimately benefit the student's success. For example, there are cameras in every classroom, but the administration/professors refuse to record & post lecture videos for the students. In a class like OP&P (Osteopathic Principles & Practice) where we learn OMM techniques, I could honestly tell you that I learn close to nothing every week going to that class. If there were videos posted of how to do these techniques, I could learn so much more. Why would anyone want to go to an institution that place so little value on the student's ultimate well-being & success?

To BossDoc, the problem is bigger than just the attendance policy. I wouldn't complain about the attendance policy if I actually got much out of going to lecture. The majority of the professors here at WCU-COM are downright terrible. So I end up waking up at 6:45 every morning to go to class, fighting to stay awake, listening to some of the worst lecturers in the world, to end up literally wasting half of my day when I could've easily have learned so much more by myself. Why does the administration refuse to accept that some of us are self-motivated learners, and could learn better by ourselves without having to be chained to the classroom.

You'd think that if the lack of study time was such an issue, Member992 wouldn't spend so much time arguing/debating on SDN. This is your situation, make the best of it. You got your point across. It's here for potential students to see. We're all adults here and are fully capable of making an informed decision. No sense in going back and forth on this discussion board.

If the attendance policy is that big of an issue then I consider it a compliment given all the other possible concerns. (BTW, VCOM has recently adopted a strict attendance policy, and many schools require attendance.) If you feel the classes are not preparing you for the boards by creating a framework for your studying then I would voice that as a discussion. The repetitive nature of these attendance complaints is a little obnoxious. We may be paying their salaries but the administration is not here to please you, but to help your prepare for the Boards and to become a doctor. Despite your frustration there are several studies that show a strong correlation with attendance and grades. I think a problem based learning approach would appeal better to your approach on learning, but that is a different discussion.

Enjoy your honeymoon then. Congrats on your achievements!!!!

I have no basis to defend WCU b/c I'm not there yet. I don't know the extent of these issues. Speaking in general, it bothers me when there are people that come on SDN, create new profiles so no one knows who they are and start complaining about an issue. Truly brave stuff here. If there are truly issues w/ the lecturers and their effectiveness, I hope it gets corrected. However, I doubt "anonymous" complaints on SDN will get the changes you so desperately want. Especially not quick enough to change your personal situation. Sadly, eve if you get some people to think twice about going to WCU, the school will always find someone for those spots. Just ask the thousands of people that get rejected by MD & DO schools every year.

Boss Doc:

"Bravery" in this case would be stupidity. People here will use this kind of honesty against you. Be careful, your naviety may get you into trouble. More importantly, WHERE IS YOUR name? Lets not be hypocrits here.

Alfred Prufrock:

If this is your real name, you may get in good with the faculty by identifying yourself, but the student body may have a different opinion.

Boss Doc:

"Bravery" in this case would be stupidity. People here will use this kind of honesty against you. Be careful, your naviety may get you into trouble. More importantly, WHERE IS YOUR name? Lets not be hypocrits here.

Alfred Prufrock:

If this is your real name, you may get in good with the faculty by identifying yourself, but the student body may have a different opinion.

I wasnt saying that you should use your real name. I just observed that your profile was recently created. In most cases, people that use SDN created their profile while they were in the application process or shortly after being accepted. In your case, you just became a member and your only posts are in sub-forum. So either you never had an SDN profile, or you made a second one purely to protect your identity from people that know you. It is very convenient that Mclovins FSARA (only other person posting on here in agreement w/ your opinion) also just recently joined SDN.

Let's be real here. Have you taken time out of your extremely busy study schedule to warn us (potential matriculants you do not know personally) about ills of WCU out of the kindness of your heart? Or have you chosen an unproductive way to vent your frustrations? What is accomplished? What is the benefit? I'm not trying to defend the school b/c "its the only school i was accepted to" or b/c I'm naive/ in the "honeymoon period". I'm just baffled by people who constantly complain on here instead of adjusting to the hand that life has dealt them. You don't like what's going on, do something PRODUCTIVE about it. Otherwise, suck it up. I don't care if I have to spend 10 hours a day in class or if i have to sleep 2 hours a night, I'm not going to blame anyone for not passing my classes or my board exams.

Texas Guy,

You are defending WCUCOM like it is the only place you got in. If I rained on your parade, I apologize, but you are a big boy now and sometimes the truth hurts. You may love it here, but at least 50% of the students in my class are very unhappy about these same issues. For example, we had a teacher mediated group discussion the other day. During the discussion, which was not directly related to the attendance policy, 7 out of 8 of the students involved each brought up these same issues voicing their concerns. It was so intense, that the mediator had to try to get us back on track twice. BTW, I am in the top 10% of the class so its not like I can't handle it. We want more time to learn more and prepare for the boards. In order for this to occur the administration has to do the right thing and serve the students since we are the ones paying their salaries.

I was not going to respond but as a current 1st year, I feel like I must. First of all to Member 992, I would like to Thank You and the rest of the inaugural class of WCU-COM for being true pioneers and for the many bullets your class has taken. However, I must say that it is because of that very reason that the majority of my class, including Dr Sooner, does not share your feelings. Are we concerned, you bet, especially seeing what your class has gone through. Are there issues to be worked out, you bet there are! I came to WCU with my eyes wide open knowing that there would be growing pains. I do not think that I am speaking out of turn when I say that our goal as a class to is make the way easier for the next class, like your class did for mine. There are many issues to be worked out over the next few months but EVERY school has issues of some sort. Go thru the threads of SDN of each school and you will find some issues with that school.

BTW, I am a member of the welcoming committee. I do it not because I have to, but because I want to. I do believe in the WCU-COM and believe me I have far more reason to be skeptical and cynical than you. You and your class mates will make it and be fine physicians in spite of the current struggles. Again, Thanks for what you have done for us.

BTW, I am a member of the welcoming committee. I do it not because I have to, but because I want to. I do believe in the WCU-COM and believe me I have far more reason to be skeptical and cynical than you. You and your class mates will make it and be fine physicians in spite of the current struggles. Again, Thanks for what you have done for us.[/QUOTE]

Since you are a member of the welcoming committee, would you know if we need to send back the form provided to match us up with a current student during our visit, or is it optional? I actually just found the email with the attachments in my spam box. I accepted the interview from the second email. I am a non-trad and coming from Biloxi, 70 miles away. It sounds fun, but I won't be staying overnight or anything. I am familiar with the 'burg because I got my Bachelor's at USM, and I am really excited to be coming back. There is an amazing amount of character and culture for a fairly small city. Is the match up doable for a day trip... I just might know about some places they don't :)

I have lurked on this board for years, and I'm so happy to be able to join in. I'm relatively sure that med school anywhere is a struggle, period. WCU will be a good place to train, and I am satisfied that I can become a good doctor if I attend here.

I'm from California originially but moved to Ocean Springs in 1999 and have lived there since. Look forward to seeing you at the interview

I'm not taking sides on this issue, most and I want to foremost congratulate all those getting accepted, you are in for a ride.

Now, I don't want to bash any of they new guys that just got accepted but here's the deal. You research online to find out all the positives and negatives a certain school. Am I correct? Well here you have people giving both positive and negative. Whether the negatives are accurate or not, they are still perceived by many students. Perception is truth. That means it may not be as bad as they are saying, but to them, it is that bad. And you need to see that there are students with these experiences. Just like reading reviews on Amazon, Newegg or Ebay, take them for that they are: anonymous forum posts. Things are changing, and they are going to continue to change. For current second years, sadly it may be too late. But they were here. They wen't through it. Someone that is not here yet and just feels utmost loyalty to their future school has no argument against a current student.

Again, I will stress I'm not saying I agree or disagree with anything that has been said. But like you, I haven't walked in the second year student's shoes. I am happy with where we are, and I am satisfied with most of the professors I have encounter thus far. I can't speak for second year professors, and ones we haven't had yet this year.

Don't be so quick to judge or get defensive about negative comments or attitudes towards our school, just as you shouldn't believe every positive someone says about our school (this applies to basically, everything in life as well).

As a member of the class of 2015, I feel like the opinions on this post do not represent the class as a whole. I will say that drsoonerdo is in the vast minority of the class. That being said, it is not the attendance policy that is the problem. The quality of the professors is dismal at best. I feel like I can speak from experience having taken the majority of these courses before in a masters program. I do not feel like the education we are receiving is adequate to pass the boards, but I guess we will see when the class of 2014 takes theirs this summer. To all those who think we should be thankful we got into medical school, and quit complaining, I am just saying the things I wish someone would have said to me before I started school here. I know we took a risk when we joined this university, but it turned out to be a much bigger risk than I first thought. I agree with everyone that says "quit complaining about the attendance policy" as life as a physician has an attendance policy. The lack of organization with our time and materials is FAR more of an issue than the attendance policy. We have days where we are in class from 8-9 and then from 1-4 and other days where we go from 9-11 (or 12) and then 1-3. The breaks don't allow enough time for me to study.. they just become down time. I also want to say that I, as have many other people, have called this to the attention of the dean... and his answer is "we are working on it". Well I hope for the sake of the class of 2016 that they work a little harder for you than they did for us.

As a member of the class of 2015, I feel like the opinions on this post do not represent the class as a whole. I will say that drsoonerdo is in the vast minority of the class. That being said, it is not the attendance policy that is the problem. The quality of the professors is dismal at best. I feel like I can speak from experience having taken the majority of these courses before in a masters program. I do not feel like the education we are receiving is adequate to pass the boards, but I guess we will see when the class of 2014 takes theirs this summer. To all those who think we should be thankful we got into medical school, and quit complaining, I am just saying the things I wish someone would have said to me before I started school here. I know we took a risk when we joined this university, but it turned out to be a much bigger risk than I first thought. I agree with everyone that says "quit complaining about the attendance policy" as life as a physician has an attendance policy. The lack of organization with our time and materials is FAR more of an issue than the attendance policy. We have days where we are in class from 8-9 and then from 1-4 and other days where we go from 9-11 (or 12) and then 1-3. The breaks don't allow enough time for me to study.. they just become down time. I also want to say that I, as have many other people, have called this to the attention of the dean... and his answer is "we are working on it". Well I hope for the sake of the class of 2016 that they work a little harder for you than they did for us.

I agree with this post. I am also a current student and I feel that my time is constantly being wasted at WCUCOM. It is very stressful feeling that you are not learning what you should while equating this feeling with the growing debt you are accumulating. 38 k a year? I think that if we as students are paying this hefty of a price for our education we should have some say so in how it is done. Most of our classes have no clinical correlations (which is what is actually tested on boards). Also, I mean some of the recent tests we have taken are a complete joke. Can you memorize powerpoints? = A actually learning material and being able to apply it to actual clinical situations are not a high priority for this school which is quite foolish when we are training to be "physicians". ie. our most recent Biochem test was almost 50% of the exact same test questions that were given to last years class... (which we were given a copy of last years test by the professors) How is memorizing an old test answer preparing you for a board exam? :mad:

oh and "Boss Doc" you should be happy that current students are willing to offer you an honest opinion. I was not given that luxury. "Smart people learn from their own mistakes, The genius learn from the mistakes of others"

Wow, so much negativity.
There are outside prep courses for the medical boards.
Why would you sign up for a class and not attend? My gpa for the last 4 years is quite good and I didn't know any fellow undergrad or grad students with good grades who regularly skipped class.
If you are complaining excessively now, odds are you'd be complaining about any other school you decided to attend instead. If one is having trouble, the best place to look for a solution is in the mirror
38k is about average for a private med school of either philosophy. If you don't want to invest in your future, then choose a less investment intensive career path.
Did some of you not thoroughly investigate the pros and cons of med school in general?
Specific questions merit specific answers not self-pitying rants.

My biggest issue wasnt the accuracy of everyone's concerns, but rather the manner it was being addressed. I agree that the administration should take a serious look at your concerns. I hope they fix the issues. However, once you do whatever is in your power, what's left? Ranting on here wont correct things. I'm not blinding defending WCU. I'm just someone who understands sometimes you have to play the hand you've been dealt. If you feel that you've done everything possible to voice your concerns and it has fallen on deaf ears, what will you do? Transfer? Quit med school? Argue w/ people on SDN lol? All I'm trying to say is, use that negative energy and spin towards finding a way to pass those boards. We're all on the same side here: Current & future med students trying to become physicians.

and they don't even let us drink or take smoke breaks on campus. and we don't get a nap after lunch.

Since you are a member of the welcoming committee, would you know if we need to send back the form provided to match us up with a current student during our visit, or is it optional?

It is purely optional.

Wow, so much negativity.
There are outside prep courses for the medical boards.
Why would you sign up for a class and not attend? My gpa for the last 4 years is quite good and I didn't know any fellow undergrad or grad students with good grades who regularly skipped class.
If you are complaining excessively now, odds are you'd be complaining about any other school you decided to attend instead. If one is having trouble, the best place to look for a solution is in the mirror
38k is about average for a private med school of either philosophy. If you don't want to invest in your future, then choose a less investment intensive career path.
Did some of you not thoroughly investigate the pros and cons of med school in general?
Specific questions merit specific answers not self-pitying rants.

The current second years have 9 classes this semester. On top of that they have boards to prepare for, which have a great impact on what specialty you can match into. When you are in class from 8-5 4 days a week and 8-12 the other, that leaves little time for you to study, prepare for boards, do laundry, get a hair cut. Don't get me wrong I know this is medical school, and I know that it is very time consuming, but this may be a little excessive. I'm not the one complaining, but before you start being higher than thou, at least know the situation.

I'm not going to start to assume how many medical/dental/pharm/etc student friends you know, but the majority of MD, pharmacy, and dental programs that I know of don't have attendance requirement. Look at it like this: you have a family, you have kids, you're in medical school, you have ADD and have paid your 'in classroom dues' through all the years of undergrad and masters programs, your school has a note service and lectures are online (you can watch in 3x speed). Would you not spend 8-5 every day studying effectively and efficiently on your own, following syllabi so that you may have nights with the family? I know tons of people who have done this and finished high in their class.

Do I want this situation here? No. I'm just pointing to the fact that it does, in fact happen, and at a lot of schools it is the norm. Now, after scaring you with the 2nd years' current schedule, they are said to be working this out and changing it.

My point being, once again, until you've walked a day in the shoes of one of us, it's hard to say "your in medical school, its suppose to be hard" or "any attending I know would laugh at complaints of attendance" blah blah, etc. I don't mind the 80% policy, if they allow more time to study/prepare for boards/shadow. On, the other had, give us 9 corses, and allow us to choose which classes we need to attend, as we all are strong in different subjects.

But we all adapt and survive, we vent on SDN, but we are in class, we study, and we pass. I think everyone is just nervous about the upcoming COMLEX scores. And good luck with the studying to all you 2nd years. Back to neuro.

One of my fellow classmates requested that I post this as a reply to the forum because they dont have a user name and just want to make one statement.

"as someone previously stated, they were merely offering their opinion so interviewees could make an informed decision. what good would forums be if people only gave positive reviews for every school because negative ones were labeled as 'complaining?' I don't know the statistics for all schools, but UAB (i know it's an MD program, but this is just an example) averages 20 contact hours a week and has a 70% attendance policy, meaning they're required to attend 14 hours a week. In the fall, we had 31 hr/wk, 21 of which were 100% mandatory, so we were required to be there 29 hr/wk. In the spring we have 28 hrs (13 hr 100% mandatory), meaning we have to be there 25 hr/wk. this averages to 13 hr/wk more than a prestigious MD school who does just fine on their boards. That's a significant amount of time that could be spent studying, or perhaps on an outside boards prep course as mentioned by a pre-medical SDN member who is clearly insightful about time management and med school life. So if you don't want to listen to 'perceptions' about class hours, here are actual statistics."

The hours in class don't worry me as much as the potential issues regarding the quality of the professors/curriculum.

Okay now its my turn to complain.

I'm tired of reading this thread and seeing complaints that are already being addressed in house. I'm also tired of being in meetings on campus where people complain about their "perceived" plight. The truth is that the school is new and the administrators are experimenting to provide the best possible medical education. Their goal is to provide the best environment for medical students to become good physicians. Their goal is NOT to train us to pass the boards. The boards are important as a measure of our training; however, good board scores do not indicate one's fitness to become a good physician.

As far as the attendance policy is concerned, it is being changed. The majority of the student body does not like the current policy and neither does most of the faculty. They did not want to change it in the middle of the year because it could complicate things; however, they are going to address it now for the sake of the second years' concerns about the COMLEX. This at least shows compassion among the administrators (COCA strongly suggested changes but did not require they be made, or even made this year).

To those that are viewing this thread in interest to come to WCUCOM please do not make your decision based on the comments of a few angry people. They do not represent the belief of the entire student body. I believe I can speak for most of the student body and say that WCUCOM is a great school, with great faculty, and great facilities. Given all of the "problems" with the school, I would still pick this school over any other school.

To the FEW complaining second year students, if you expected to be the first class in a brand new school that ran like clockwork then you were/are very naive. Stop ruining the reputation of this school by complaining on SDN because it will not fix anything, only turn away prospective students. If you must complain, at least turn your complaints elsewhere. Are there legitimate concerns for those interested in WCUCOM? yes. Should they be aware of them? yes. Should you harp on them and not focus on all of the other positive things? no.

I haven't posted on SDN in over a year, but I checked it the other day and I am shocked at some of the negativity offered on this forum.

My intent was not to anger anyone with this post but to defend my school from arbitrary complaints. If you are a prospective student and you want to know what current students are complaining about then ask, but realize that any answer may be the opinion of just one or two students.

The hours in class don't worry me as much as the potential issues regarding the quality of the professors/curriculum.
There are only a few complaints regarding SOME of the professors. Some of them are the best teachers I have had in my life. As far as the curriculum goes? It will slowly evolve and get better.

So, the OMS-II students are leading the way for us, and changes are happening as they identify weaknesses in the school's setup. I, and many others, appreciate their sacrifices.
The OMS-I students are reaping the benefits and further identifying issues that can make the Class of 2016's life easier - we appreciate that.

After several months in army ranger school, I have a unique perspective on how deal with stress and how to "drive on" without complaining about how bad things suck, and how to be an effective leader when conditions are at the absolute worst.

I got placed in charge when it was 18 degrees and sleeting at 6K feet elevation in the North Georgia mountains, after not sleeping for 6 straight days and being held to one meal per day. If I had had a bad attitude my platoon would have seen that, lost confidence, and not followed me and we would not have completed the mission successfully.

My point is this, we as future physicians are supposed to be leaders - leaders do not complain about things to the masses...they deal with issues in a tactful and respectful way. You will have subordinates that are looking to you to make decisions in tough situations and they will feed off of your attitude.

You will have things to complain about your entire career and things will not go your way all the time. It is how you deal with those issues that win the respect of your leadership, peers, and subordinates. It is time for many of the people on this board to begin acting like leaders and find the right venue for the things they are wanting to vent about - and a pre-medical forum on SDN is hardly the place for that.

Thank you for alerting us to the attendance policy issues, but leave it at that and let others make their own opinion without the bitterness.

And remember no one forced you to attend this school and no one is forcing you to stay.

Sorry for getting on my soapbox.

I am interviewing on March 6th. A little nervous, very excited, and definitely interested.

I've been reading the recent posts, which certainly have been busy. It seems like there are some minor(or maybe major from some perspectives) kinks that are being teased out. I'm sure it's frustrating being in the middle of it, but it could be one of those things that you look back on and say "I did the best I could, and it was tough, but I made it. Yay." Onward. Hopefully, this is what happens.

I would think that the best possible scenario would be that a well-informed, unbias administrator could accurately assess what is best for the students and the school as a whole, and then make necessary adjustments. I would think that having the students pass the boards would be of utmost importance to a provisionally accredited school.

So, the OMS-II students are leading the way for us, and changes are happening as they identify weaknesses in the school's setup. I, and many others, appreciate their sacrifices.
The OMS-I students are reaping the benefits and further identifying issues that can make the Class of 2016's life easier - we appreciate that.

After several months in army ranger school, I have a unique perspective on how deal with stress and how to "drive on" without complaining about how bad things suck, and how to be an effective leader when conditions are at the absolute worst.

I got placed in charge when it was 18 degrees and sleeting at 6K feet elevation in the North Georgia mountains, after not sleeping for 6 straight days and being held to one meal per day. If I had had a bad attitude my platoon would have seen that, lost confidence, and not followed me and we would not have completed the mission successfully.

My point is this, we as future physicians are supposed to be leaders - leaders do not complain about things to the masses...they deal with issues in a tactful and respectful way. You will have subordinates that are looking to you to make decisions in tough situations and they will feed off of your attitude.

You will have things to complain about your entire career and things will not go your way all the time. It is how you deal with those issues that win the respect of your leadership, peers, and subordinates. It is time for many of the people on this board to begin acting like leaders and find the right venue for the things they are wanting to vent about - and a pre-medical forum on SDN is hardly the place for that.

Thank you for alerting us to the attendance policy issues, but leave it at that and let others make their own opinion without the bitterness.

And remember no one forced you to attend this school and no one is forcing you to stay.

Sorry for getting on my soapbox.

1.) I'm not sure why you brought up your military accomplishments; maybe it is to make a point or so we will respect you more. It actually strenghten's our argument though, thanks for that.

2.) Your leadship rant is far to idealistic for real life in medical school, not to mention you are paid to be soldier, but we are PAYING for a SERVICE. NOTICE THE DIFFERENCE!

3.) So in other words, we are complaining to the masses and subordinates when we are posting to potential physicians reading SDN; that is kinda offensive don't you think? Maybe if I went to Walmart and voiced concerns about WCUCOM's attendance policy to random shoppers with no connection to the school, you would have a point.

4.) You were in charge on the mountain, nobody told you exactly how to do things...you had a mission in which they thought you had the tools to complete. You probably had to MODIFY some the PROTOCOLS in order to fit the specific problems you faced. THAT IS WHAT WE WANT HERE MAN!

Last edited:
Let's be civil. If you want to argue, use pms