WCVM/UCVM c/o 2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
@trig1989 I already live in Stoon since I've been doing my undergrad here so I'm not much help. Did the housing list help at all? I can chat with some of my pet-friendly friends to see if anyone has a room coming available if you want.

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks @sip011 . Unfortunately, because of my cat, I can't live with people who also have pets and would prefer not to live with more than one roommate. The housing list was all multiple roommates, or pet un friendly places. Will keep looking!!

Does anyone know if we get to see our admission stats? Like our interview score, essay score, etc. I know that UCVM puts out the group stats every year on their website, but I was wondering if we get to find out our personal stats too. Just wondering because I have a friend who got accepted into the Dentistry program at U of A, and all the applicants found out their stats before they even sent out admission offers.

Members don't see this ad :)
Those that were accepted don't receive them. Speculation is they don't want you to see where you are in the class as it's unnecessary. I don't know if those that haven't been called off the waitlist get them, but if you're rejected you do.

Hm interesting. Makes sense I guess. Guess it doesn't really matter anyway as long as you get a spot!

WCVM gives a ranking out of the number of provincial applicants to those rejected. Anyone accepted never finds out where they fell, before or after the interview. In fact, they didn't even tell us the total number of applicants! But that is something we can find out.

WCVM gives a ranking out of the number of provincial applicants to those rejected. Anyone accepted never finds out where they fell, before or after the interview. In fact, they didn't even tell us the total number of applicants! But that is something we can find out.

speaking of which, the 2013-2014 admission statistics for WCVM have been released here http://explore.usask.ca/programs/colleges/vetmed/index.php :)

Just scroll to the bottom
But I'd agree with everyone here in saying that as long as you get a spot, you get a spot! :)

Is anyone else worried about the movie from their home city/town to Saskatoon? I personally am quite used to city life and mild, albeit rainy weather (Vancouver) and I am a bit concerned with how I am going to spend my winters in-40degrees C when I'll be afraid to step outside.
Anyone have any tips about getting through cold weather? :p

I am a bit concerned with how I am going to spend my winters in-40degrees C when I'll be afraid to step outside.
Ah hello fellow warm-weatherer! I grew up in mild BC but have lived mainly in Alberta for the last 6 years. I used to ride feedlot pens for work and had to figure out how the heck to stay warm all day long in these arctic provinces! The biggest things for me is silk and wool everything. Synthetic fibres never keep me warm enough, plus they don't breathe and they hold in moisture. Silk scarves around your neck make a surprisingly huge difference in whether or not I stay warm (real silk ones will set you back ~$50 but soooo worth it). Wool cap. Wool socks. Wool long johns. Wool mitts with leather ones overtop. Wool vest with silk lining. I used to wear the -100 degree oilfield boots but they might be a little overkill for vet work and plus they're impossible to walk in. I find the dunlop -50 rubber boots are second best and the -40 arctic sport muck boots third best as far as keeping my feet warm. I'm picky because I broke my foot once and have terrible circulation in that foot's toes. The muck boots are much easier to walk around in than the dunlops though and feel more like a shoe than a boot. Also, the dunlops are also terrible on ice. I took a razor blade and cut up the bottoms and now they are a lot better though.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey thanks for the tip about the boots! I have a pair of the oilfield boots, but I've started looking for something lighter (seriously, those things weigh a ton). I think I'm going to check out the arctic sport muck boots. I wonder if you can get them with a steel toe....

So I just visited their website... seems the men's version are available with a steel toe but the women's are not. Part of me (the part that hasn't slept enough) wants to get all defensive and petulant and point out that women do hard work, too. The other part is shrugging and saying "so buy the men's then, silly...."

So I just visited their website... seems the men's version are available with a steel toe but the women's are not. Part of me (the part that hasn't slept enough) wants to get all defensive and petulant and point out that women do hard work, too. The other part is shrugging and saying "so buy the men's then, silly...."
I understand the frustration though. The smallest pair of Dunlops you can buy are a 6 in mens. My feet are a 6 womens so they're pretty big on me, but I got some padded insoles which helped a lot. And it's always hard to find work gloves of any kind in small sizes it seems...

The only thing I found to be a pain with the muck boots is trying to get them on when you're wearing a few layers (socks+jeans+coveralls). The leg is a little snug and its hard to get them on without your pants bunching up. You kind of have to wrap your pant legs around your leg and then pull the boot on. Once they stretch out a bit it's not so bad though.

Just came home from shopping. Bought a pair of steel toed rubber boots. Sometimes it's the little things that make you smile!

def a yes with the silk scarf and wool-everything else! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
speaking of which, the 2013-2014 admission statistics for WCVM have been released here http://explore.usask.ca/programs/colleges/vetmed/index.php :)

Just scroll to the bottom
But I'd agree with everyone here in saying that as long as you get a spot, you get a spot! :)

Is anyone else worried about the movie from their home city/town to Saskatoon? I personally am quite used to city life and mild, albeit rainy weather (Vancouver) and I am a bit concerned with how I am going to spend my winters in-40degrees C when I'll be afraid to step outside.

Hey fellow British Columbian! I grew up in a small hot rainy mill town on the West Coast of Vancouver Island, so moving to Saskatoon for undergrad three years ago was a climate/culture shock for sure! We're opposites for the culture, since for me Saskatoon was a humongous city. For anyone used to Vancouver, its going to seem pretty dinky probably. That being said, there's a tonne of stuff to do here. The nightlife is pretty decent if you know the right places (and depending what sort of things you like to do!). Dance was huge for me growing up so being able to head to the Longbranch and go twostepping/swing is awesome for me. But there are some more modern nightclubs and things as well.
I don't know if you are the sporty type, but USask has a really great intramural program which is awesome for physical activity in the winter. I've played on a few teams and learned to skate (if you have skates bring them....it's a very common winter activity and there are some great free public rinks) and curl (which is a staple of prairie life!). Your student card gets you in free to the PAC (physical activity complex) on campus which includes a gym, pool, fitness classes, indoor track and climbing wall. Any ladies out there looking for something fun and to get physically active I highly suggest checking out Club Mynx, it's a womens-only fitness club that offers all sorts of alternative fitness options including barre, aerial hoop and silks, and my personal favourite pole dancing!

In terms of the weather, it's a change for sure. I don't mean to sound depressing, but I find that eventually (after about -30) it's just cold and it all feels the same no matter what you do. Check out Costco, they carry great Canadian-made 100% Merino wool long underwear (the tops are my lifesaver!),and it's Costco so the prices are great. Make sure you get a good hat that will cover your ears, and just be careful & listen to weather warnings. All students at WCVM get a free locker so it's easy to dress warm to get to school and then dump your coat and everything. There's four Tim's and one Starbucks on campus so there's plenty of hot beverages available :p Oh but don't make my first year mistake and totally leave out summer clothes.... obviously from year to year the weather varies but in my first year it was short weather until almost the end of October!

Hope some of this helps a bit :)

Reactions: 1 users
Another tip: Marks Work Warehouse sells jeans that are lined with flannel. It really makes a difference when it's cold and windy, without having to fuss with an extra layer.

Hey fellow British Columbian! I grew up in a small hot rainy mill town on the West Coast of Vancouver Island, so moving to Saskatoon for undergrad three years ago was a climate/culture shock for sure! We're opposites for the culture, since for me Saskatoon was a humongous city. For anyone used to Vancouver, its going to seem pretty dinky probably. That being said, there's a tonne of stuff to do here. The nightlife is pretty decent if you know the right places (and depending what sort of things you like to do!). Dance was huge for me growing up so being able to head to the Longbranch and go twostepping/swing is awesome for me. But there are some more modern nightclubs and things as well.
I don't know if you are the sporty type, but USask has a really great intramural program which is awesome for physical activity in the winter. I've played on a few teams and learned to skate (if you have skates bring them....it's a very common winter activity and there are some great free public rinks) and curl (which is a staple of prairie life!). Your student card gets you in free to the PAC (physical activity complex) on campus which includes a gym, pool, fitness classes, indoor track and climbing wall. Any ladies out there looking for something fun and to get physically active I highly suggest checking out Club Mynx, it's a womens-only fitness club that offers all sorts of alternative fitness options including barre, aerial hoop and silks, and my personal favourite pole dancing!

In terms of the weather, it's a change for sure. I don't mean to sound depressing, but I find that eventually (after about -30) it's just cold and it all feels the same no matter what you do. Check out Costco, they carry great Canadian-made 100% Merino wool long underwear (the tops are my lifesaver!),and it's Costco so the prices are great. Make sure you get a good hat that will cover your ears, and just be careful & listen to weather warnings. All students at WCVM get a free locker so it's easy to dress warm to get to school and then dump your coat and everything. There's four Tim's and one Starbucks on campus so there's plenty of hot beverages available :p Oh but don't make my first year mistake and totally leave out summer clothes.... obviously from year to year the weather varies but in my first year it was short weather until almost the end of October!

Hope some of this helps a bit :)

oh my goodness I will have to save this! Thank you so much! :) I think the key is getting involved in things as much as possible

oh my goodness I will have to save this! Thank you so much! :) I think the key is getting involved in things as much as possible

Definitely! Any questions about USask/Stoon I'll do my best to help out with! :) I'm so excited to meet everyone in August!!!

@Cracker.Jack. I know, I saw yesterday. SO exciting!!! One of the Dr's I work with asked if I pinch myself every morning. I told him no, but I do re-read my acceptance letter to prove to myself that I didn't just dream it!

hey checking in from calgary here! very excited to be part of WCVM class of 2018!

just wondering how people's search for housing has been going. I think I would go insane living alone, especially since I'm coming in knowing all of zero people in saskatoon. is anyone else still actively looking for roommates / know anyone who wants one? any general tips?

I can't wait to get down to Calgary and meet everyone!! We're going down on the 14th-15th to look at some places and fill out student loan paperwork (I've never done it before, and would hate to screw it up... apparently the applications become available on the 15th). So much to do....

@tdon

I am looking for 2 roommates. Have a 3 bedroom house on university drive. No other pets unfortunately because my cat will not have it lol. Pm me if interested

I found a place last week finally and it's only 5 min from the vet school so I'm super pumped! Almost close enough to ride my bike (8 km, not far for Calgary standards) but my laziness will probably get the better of me and I'll drive everyday. I'm in Calgary until the 13th as I'm in the rodeo at stampede everyday so I'm practicing being a Calgarian for a bit before actually making the big move!

Excellent news @Cracker.Jack. congrats on the new place! We were discussing last night when I should give notice to work. They know it's coming, of course, but I still don't have an official termination date. One of my managers has really pissed me off over the last week, so I vote sooner if possible, but I also don't want to lose out on potential earnings. Naturally she's the type that if I push back it will likely result in disciplinary action, which is not the way I want to go out! Good luck in the Stampede!!

So apparently it's not going to be "sooner." :p Yesterday I block booked the rest of the summer. I'll be working 9-5, Monday-Friday, starting today until August 22. I'm very aware that doesn't give me much time to be in Calgary by the 28th for orientation, and I know I'm going to have to miss at least one day to do the student finance thing. I guess we're looking at places on weekends! In spite of all the inconveniences, this will allow me to really squirrel away some money to pay for books etc. which is why I agreed to do it. Three cheers for full-time employment!

Our schedule is up WCVMers!!! :D

Reactions: 3 users
Hey BC'ers - How is everyone getting to Saskatoon? Driving, flying..? And how are you getting your stuff out there? I have a herniated disc in my low back which makes driving incredibly difficult, especially over an 18 hour drive, so I am looking into alternatives. My biggest issue is that I am bringing my car and probably one room worth of stuff. So I would need to figure out how to get that there. Does anyone have experience with shipping things? Or does anyone have room on a moving truck for a few things, I am not bringing any furniture? I would be happy to chip in for the cost of the truck!

Hey BC'ers - How is everyone getting to Saskatoon? Driving, flying..? And how are you getting your stuff out there? I have a herniated disc in my low back which makes driving incredibly difficult, especially over an 18 hour drive, so I am looking into alternatives. My biggest issue is that I am bringing my car and probably one room worth of stuff. So I would need to figure out how to get that there. Does anyone have experience with shipping things? Or does anyone have room on a moving truck for a few things, I am not bringing any furniture? I would be happy to chip in for the cost of the truck!

Did you find a place?!

I did!! By a weird coincidence, a girl I went to high school with was moving to Saskatoon to be closer to her boyfriend who is in law school at U of S! We have a 2 bedroom 4 blocks from campus :)!!!

I did!! By a weird coincidence, a girl I went to high school with was moving to Saskatoon to be closer to her boyfriend who is in law school at U of S! We have a 2 bedroom 4 blocks from campus :)!!!

Awesome!!

My giant envelope arrived yesterday. Looks like we have quite a to-do list! And on that note... any UCVMers already got a U of C email address? I have a question and I was wondering if there's someone who's been through the process that I could PM.....

My giant envelope arrived yesterday. Looks like we have quite a to-do list! And on that note... any UCVMers already got a U of C email address? I have a question and I was wondering if there's someone who's been through the process that I could PM.....
I have one, I got it when I did my undergrad there so its been a while but I can definitely try to help!

Hi all, congratulations on getting into vet school!!! Very exciting time of year :)

If anyone in Calgary is looking for a place, I'm currently a vet practicing in Calgary and I'm looking to rent a bright 1-bedroom basement suite. PM me for details.

I'm sure you WCVM-ers are aware there is a Facebook group page set up for your class. The mods are having trouble finding everyone - which may just be a matter of privacy settings - so if you or anyone you know who got in is NOT part of the group already, be sure to send them an invite. :)

Hi everyone, I'm another shiny new UCVMer!

I'm going through the To-Do list and also having some issues with the email account thing - I registered for the IT account, the (apparent) first step, and in my confirmation the email address spot was blank! I'm planning on calling IT when I get a chance later this week, but anyone know how to get past this without having to call? :)

Also, on the ABVMA student application form, #4... is that just for the vet med degree coming, or do I list the degrees I already have too? So confused!

If you log into myUofC, on the upper right of the first screen there's an access link for the webmail. I logged into my webmail and sent myself a test email to my personal email account because it did the same thing to me. That way I could see the return address. Don't know about your other question though.

If you log into myUofC, on the upper right of the first screen there's an access link for the webmail. I logged into my webmail and sent myself a test email to my personal email account because it did the same thing to me. That way I could see the return address. Don't know about your other question though.
Thank you!! I tried this right after I signed up for the IT services, and it didn't work - guess I had to wait and try again! Thanks!

Got my email done no problem. I did the same thing as Squeaksmom and just sent myself a test email to see what my actual address was.

Has anyone been able to find the UCVM c/o 2018 Facebook page? I met a girl at the UCVM booth at stampede that said there is one set up but I haven't been able to find it.

I haven't found the Facebook page either. We're in Calgary until tomorrow looking at some places. We've found some promising ones, but it looks like we have some decisions to make....

Hi everyone, I'm another shiny new UCVMer!

I'm going through the To-Do list and also having some issues with the email account thing - I registered for the IT account, the (apparent) first step, and in my confirmation the email address spot was blank! I'm planning on calling IT when I get a chance later this week, but anyone know how to get past this without having to call? :)

Also, on the ABVMA student application form, #4... is that just for the vet med degree coming, or do I list the degrees I already have too? So confused!

Hi! I think it's all the previous degrees. See you guys SOON!!! So excited :) Oh, and I remember seeing info on computers and boots etc in the student manuals for previous years, but I did not see anything in ours?

Got my email done no problem. I did the same thing as Squeaksmom and just sent myself a test email to see what my actual address was.

Has anyone been able to find the UCVM c/o 2018 Facebook page? I met a girl at the UCVM booth at stampede that said there is one set up but I haven't been able to find it.
I couldn't find it either and the package said to sign up for c/o 2017 page, which I found but that seems like a typo to me...

Actually I totally just found it. Just type in UCVM into the search bar in facebook, then click see all groups with UCVM and its like 6 or 7 groups down.

Excellent, I hadn't found it yet either. Thank you!

For the online drivers' registration form, does anyone know who to put down for the Supervisor's name? Also wondering which department to select as well. I was wondering if maybe we are supposed to put down Carol Gelette as that's who we send the forms to.