WESTERN/COMP Discussion thread 2007-2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mshheaddoc

Howdy
Moderator Emeritus
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
For discussion of the school noted above. This includes interview dates, questions, etc. Threads will be merged in here if they are created on their own.

We are doing this to cut down on the traffic of threads so it makes it easier for people to find information about a school.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone interviewing on 9/20 at Western U? Let me know!

tomorrow? yep, I'll be driving from Santa Ana, hahahaha, I'm so happy that I don't have to fly THANK GOD

i just flew in today and i'm staying at a hotel near the highway. its super exciting :sleep:

when were you guys complete, to receive an interview on 9/20?

..and congrats, btw, COMP is a good school

"Describe your motivation for training as an osteopathic physician. Comment specifically on your academic performance and potential for study in Osteopathic medicine."

The first sentence made me think "ok, standard WHY DO OVER MD question" but the second sentence is throwing me off. Am I supposed to talk only about my academics?

And how does ones academics make you want to be a DO anyway?

"Describe your motivation for training as an osteopathic physician. Comment specifically on your academic performance and potential for study in Osteopathic medicine."

The first sentence made me think "ok, standard WHY DO OVER MD question" but the second sentence is throwing me off. Am I supposed to talk only about my academics?

And how does ones academics make you want to be a DO anyway?

I took it as: 1. Comment on your motivation for being a DO. 2. Comment on your academic ability and tell us why you will be able to handle the rigors of medical school (talk about your accademic succuess in pre-reqs etc.).

Make sense?

Good Luck :luck:

yeah i ran into this problem too.. just talk about what the guy above me said

Members don't see this ad :)
when were you guys complete, to receive an interview on 9/20?
..and congrats, btw, COMP is a good school

Yeah, I kinda like it there myself. ;)
Sorry I didn't get a chance to talk to the 9/20 interviewees!
I met with a few today, but that week was a hectic one for me.
(Although...they're all pretty hectic...)

Hello All-
I had an interview at Western/COMP yesterday and I'm embarrassed to say that I have forgotten the name of one of my interviewers. I haven;t been able to find her info on the website. I'd like to send thank you notes ASAP. Any advice?
Thanks

Hey Newgirl, are u from santa ana? We might be neighbors!! haha

hey guys,
One thing, I agree with you, Pomona is a pretty ****ty area, however it can be a lot of fun, there is a lot around it, if you have a car, there is so much around Pomona. Also, it's a really really really good place to learn medicine. COMP, I know the school does not look good, but man the professors that you get, the residencys that people match, and the level of attention that you get, it's AMAZING. If you are from CA, like me, go no where else, COMP is for you, also if you are thinking about staying CA, once again COMP has very very good rep for generating residents.
So, don't let Pomona change your decision, COMP is in Pomona, but it is NOT Pomona.

Has anyone that interviewed at Western on 9/20 gotten any notification yet? I'm wondering when I can expect something in the mail!

I interviewd at Western on Sept 13th, and I got my letter in the mail on the 24th, and that was all the way from sunny so-Cal to New Jersey. Hope that helps!

If we don't pay our deposit until Dec. 14, can they give our spot to someone else?:confused:

If I stay in Cali, I'm def going to Western. I still have a few interviews to go on before I make a final decision.

I recieved an interview invite for Western prior to submitting my secondary. Is this typical? If so, is this typical of all DO schools or just Western?

what letter/notification are you guys talking about? acceptances?
Has anyone that interviewed at Western on 9/20 gotten any notification yet? I'm wondering when I can expect something in the mail!
KM6197 said:
I interviewd at Western on Sept 13th, and I got my letter in the mail on the 24th, and that was all the way from sunny so-Cal to New Jersey. Hope that helps!

btw, I have an interview 10/11... I got the invite before I sent my secondary & LORs as well. I was thankful to receive that interview invite since acceptance chances seem good unless you really f* up during the interview. It made me cry actually cuz I thought I was SOL due to my last required letter (from a science prof) not being submitted til just this week -.-
U.S.News Ultimate Guide to Medical Schools said:
Western University
Applied / Interviewed / Accepted / Enrolled
Total: 2,342 / 601 / 542 / 212
In-state 736 / 289 / 261 / 132
Out-of-state: 1,606 / 312 / 281 / 80

for those of you who visited, can you give me the rundown of this school?

I have a couple of acceptances already and an interview at western on 10/25. Im not thrilled at the prospect of having to go to school on the opposite coast of my home town.

i dont wanna go out there if the schools facilities are not really top notch, its going to have to be way better for me to give up the reservation of the distance from home

Is there an EDP for Western? I'll be applying next year, and I'm trying to learn as much as I can about the application process. Western is one of my first choices, and I'm thinking I'll apply to them through the EDP. Where can I read about EDPs in general, in the context of osteopathic schools? Thanks for any help.

:scared: OMG...I'm so stupid!

I sent in my primaries for Western U very early, and instead of the traditional secondary, they offered me an interview for Oct. 25. I confirmed an interview, but completely FORGOT about the secondaries!!!!!! Do they mail it to you? Email? Did I even get it? I HAVE NO IDEA!!!!!! [Because I had 20 other secondaries to fill out!] Does SOMEONE have the secondaries? I already sent them my letters of recommendations in. :eek:

I emailed the person in charge of scheduling an interview and said that I never received the secondary, and will fill it out and send it to he/she (?) right away. Was that a smart move? OOO-MMMM-GGGG!!!

I'm pretty sure the secondary was part of an attachment with the email inviting you for an interview. Check your emails and look for it. I think you'll be fine, I called Western a few times to ask questions and they were always very nice. Take your time and write a great essay and good luck at your interview!~

:scared: OMG...I'm so stupid!

I sent in my primaries for Western U very early, and instead of the traditional secondary, they offered me an interview for Oct. 25. I confirmed an interview, but completely FORGOT about the secondaries!!!!!! Do they mail it to you? Email? Did I even get it? I HAVE NO IDEA!!!!!! [Because I had 20 other secondaries to fill out!] Does SOMEONE have the secondaries? I already sent them my letters of recommendations in. :eek:

I emailed the person in charge of scheduling an interview and said that I never received the secondary, and will fill it out and send it to he/she (?) right away. Was that a smart move? OOO-MMMM-GGGG!!!

1) Stop freaking out
2) The secondary is attached to your invite, or available on the website (somewhere, don't ask me where)
3) Western says they give out about 1/3 of their interview invites without receiving a secondary
4) You can bring your secondary to your interview if you want (see #1)
5) See #1

All is well my friend, trust me.

Okay so I just added western. My DO letter-writer went there (chose them over Northwestern), so I figured it might be worth a shot.

Okay so I just added western. My DO letter-writer went there (chose them over Northwestern), so I figured it might be worth a shot.

Noone choses Western over Northwestern unless they are dyslexic.

how long does interview day last???

how long does interview day last???
You check in at 9am, and then you can go whenever your individual interview is finished. You will be done by 2pm if you are in the first wave of students to be interviewed, or as late as 3:30-4pm if you are in the last wave to be called in for your interview.

They allot 30min per interview... my interviewers took about 45min with me... not sure if that's a good or bad thing ^^;;

Does anyone know whether the admissions committee accept most of their interviewed applicants? good chances you will be accepted if you get an interview invite?

I'm starting to get a little nervous...

I still haven't heard anything. I'm all the way on the east coast though. Not sure if the CA people have gotten their letters yet.

Would love to hear soon....

Did anyone not get their secondary from Western? I decided to finally call the admissions office after three months of waiting to hear from them and the lady told me that she has not received my secondary or LORs... I told her that I never received a secondary from them! I was so confused. I guess it was sent to me on July 21st and it never got to me!!! I know I am stupid and should have inquired sooner but I was busy worrying about all my other secondaries and assumed the no response meant they did not want me! :smuggrin:

I received an invite for an interview for 12/6, 12/13 and 1/17. I chose the January one because of work and personal circumstances. Western is not my first choice because of the distance and expense but now I'm regretting that decision because I feel it might be too late to interview. Do you think I'm hurting my chances by interviewing so late? Should I move my schedule around to take the first date? It is my first interview and I am a reapplicant....rrrgh! Sorry for the late night rantings from a crazy girl.

I received an invite for an interview for 12/6, 12/13 and 1/17. I chose the January one because of work and personal circumstances. Western is not my first choice because of the distance and expense but now I'm regretting that decision because I feel it might be too late to interview. Do you think I'm hurting my chances by interviewing so late? Should I move my schedule around to take the first date? It is my first interview and I am a reapplicant....rrrgh! Sorry for the late night rantings from a crazy girl.

I think the earlier you interview, the better your chances. If its your first interview, you gotta realize you dont have any acceptances yet, so dont be worrying about cost issues right now - you just wanna get in, rite? If thats the case, call em and try to reschedule your interview. my 3 cents

Hey guys, do you know if Western has a cafeteria on the campus? If not, where do the students eat between classes?

Hey guys, do you know if Western has a cafeteria on the campus? If not, where do the students eat between classes?

No cafeteria, although the vending machines in the commons have some decent food. There are many places within 1 block walking distance where students eat (Subway, Angelo's Pizzeria, about 9872834732 taquerias, KFC, taco bell, etc...).

Personally, I eat in my kitchen because I'm not on campus for classes. About half of my class does the same.

anyone have an interview at western on 10/18?? I will be there!:D

good...look around for a little blonde girl that talks too much

also does anyone know what time the interview day ends?? I have a flight to arizona at 6:10 ahha

good...look around for a little blonde girl that talks too much

also does anyone know what time the interview day ends?? I have a flight to arizona at 6:10 ahha

The interview day can be fairly long depending on what time your interview was set. I think the latest time slot that is assigned is somewhere around 4pm. However, since the interviews sometimes take longer than scheduled, some people end up staying there even later.

You won't find out your time slot until the day of the interview.

If you're flying out of Ontario, you shouldn't have a problem even if you have a later time slot. However, if you are flying out of LAX or SNA you might have an issue.

To be sure, you might want to try e-mailing Susan Hanson to voice your concern and see if she can make sure you get an earlier time slot.

How does Western look at MCAT scores? I scored low on verbal but good on ps and bs. I want to retake the test to up my verbal score, but I'm afraid to lower my other scores. Does anybody know if Western looks at the best scores of each section out of all the tests taken, or do they look at each test individually? for example:

test 1: PS 12, V 6, BS 10 Q=28
test 2: PS 9, V 10, BS 9 Q=28

But if they take the best scores, then:

PS12, V 10, BS 10.

I know some medical schools do this. I just want to know if Western does it as well, or if there are any Osteopathic school that does this. Thank you.

I just got the secondary from these guys. They pre-screen, don't they? If so, I'll take that as a good sign.

What is the approx turnaround for an interview invite after your secondary is complete? I have another interview in Cali and would like to make one trip instead of two but I need to buy my ticket soon. (I was complete two weeks ago) Any insight would be great!