WesternU COMP-NW vs ATSU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
L

luckyely91

Hello! I have been fortunate enough to have been accepted to both ATSU SOMA and COMP-Northwest, both really good schools. I have seen other posts about these two schools, but some ended up getting off topic and didn't address some questions that I have. Please let me know your thoughts!

I would have to move either way (from Nevada), my s/o is moving with me and is looking for a job wherever I go. I love the 1+3 curriculum at ATSU-SOMA, but I don't like the fact that I won't be with many of my classmates after the first year because I think social support and networking are important. I love Oregon and COMP-Northwest, but it's a little bit more pricey and I could not find information about how students have done on either the COMPLEX or USMLE. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I interviewed at both and personally I don't think you can go wrong with either. For me I took ATSU out of consideration because I interviewed and got in now later in the cycle and I was worried I wouldn't get my ideal CHC rotation, which would be a bummer for your second year. Western U students do well on COMLEX especially step 2 apparently. Don't know about USMLE. Location-wise, both in more rural locations. More old people in Mesa ;) but living-wise comparable you just have to decide if you want lush green or desert brown. I feel the main draw for COMP-NW is its good reputation along the west coast, which is a pretty DO friendly region.

Reactions: 1 user
I interviewed at both and personally I don't think you can go wrong with either. For me I took ATSU out of consideration because I interviewed and got in now later in the cycle and I was worried I wouldn't get my ideal CHC rotation, which would be a bummer for your second year. Western U students do well on COMLEX especially step 2 apparently. Don't know about USMLE. Location-wise, both in more rural locations. More old people in Mesa ;) but living-wise comparable you just have to decide if you want lush green or desert brown. I feel the main draw for COMP-NW is its good reputation along the west coast, which is a pretty DO friendly region.

Thank you so much for your response! They are both very good schools, and I'm happy to be accepted at both. I recently saw that COMP-NW had students with a higher passing rate in most, if not all, of the COMLEX areas, which is really important to me. Also, I love the family-atmosphere that the school partakes in.