What classes should I take in preparation for Clinical Psychology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

The Sticky

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

I'm a bit confused as to what classes I should take in preparation for graduate school in Clinical Psychology.

I lean more towards the neuropsychology of things, if that makes a difference at all.

Besides the obvious heavy load of psychology and statistic courses, what other courses would make me look competitive for graduate programs?

Members don't see this ad.

first post is one that can be answered by a simple search

You will want to look into programs that you want to apply to and see what their requirements are. Those are the minimums, and while important to make sure you took them, you will want to go beyond that. Everyone will have the required courses- you need to do more (and get good grades in them). Even if they aren't required, go for some biological psychology, experimental (with labs), abnormal and other foundational coursework. Also- go into the sciences- Biology, chemistry, maybe neurology too...all with labs. You said neuropsych- so they like those science courses. To make yourself stand out, take courses in other related fields, but you might be asked in an interview why such a varied coursework. good luck!