What is Walgreen's "Power"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Some of you seem to be making many assumptions on this issue.

First mistake, assuming all pharmacies have cut their pharmacist hours to the lowest point possible...in this case alot of you are assuming pharmacies only have one pharmacist per day.

All the WAG's that are going from 8-10 to 9-9 have just cut one floater out of their weekly budget. Now they only need 2 full-time staff pharmacists for the week. Sprinkle some central verification in the mix and now you only need 1 pharmacist per store. All the 24 hr stores that went to 8-10 now have cut one full-time midnight pahrmacist. There goes your supposed "shortage".

Second mistake, assuming there actually has to be a pharmacist to dispense meds. In a ****ty economy like this...desperate times...all it takes is one law to negate the madatory one pharmacist per store.

What are there...about 50,000 pharmacies in the US??? One pharmacist per store...50,000 staff pharmacists...plus another 25,000 relief pharmacists...plus 25,000 "remote" pharmacists per store doing all verifications.

100,000 pharmacists needed across the US with central verification/fill.

All maintenace meds delivered to a "kiosk" for pickup at the convenience of the pt. Only thing to pick up in the pharmacy are waiters and antibiotics and controls.
If you are serious, ahhhhhhhhhhhh no you can't be serious. Ill let this go as you joking around.:D

Members don't see this ad.

Some of you seem to be making many assumptions on this issue.

First mistake, assuming all pharmacies have cut their pharmacist hours to the lowest point possible...in this case alot of you are assuming pharmacies only have one pharmacist per day.

All the WAG's that are going from 8-10 to 9-9 have just cut one floater out of their weekly budget. Now they only need 2 full-time staff pharmacists for the week. Sprinkle some central verification in the mix and now you only need 1 pharmacist per store. All the 24 hr stores that went to 8-10 now have cut one full-time midnight pahrmacist. There goes your supposed "shortage".

Second mistake, assuming there actually has to be a pharmacist to dispense meds. In a ****ty economy like this...desperate times...all it takes is one law to negate the madatory one pharmacist per store.

What are there...about 50,000 pharmacies in the US??? One pharmacist per store...50,000 staff pharmacists...plus another 25,000 relief pharmacists...plus 25,000 "remote" pharmacists per store doing all verifications.

100,000 pharmacists needed across the US with central verification/fill.

All maintenace meds delivered to a "kiosk" for pickup at the convenience of the pt. Only thing to pick up in the pharmacy are waiters and antibiotics and controls.

I'm lost...early in your post you mention 2 full time pharmacists per store, then you say just 1 pharmacist per store later on. Please elaborate.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you are serious, ahhhhhhhhhhhh no you can't be serious. Ill let this go as you joking around.:D

And my economics teacher told me the Great Depression could never happen again...read the news lately?:rolleyes:

And my economics teacher told me the Great Depression could never happen again...read the news lately?:rolleyes:

Another Great Depression isn't going to happen again. The first time around the government stood by and let everything collapse. Things are a bit different this time....in case you hadn't noticed or read the news lately.:confused:

This thread kind of lost me but I need to ask a valid question (God help me): If your rx is filled at a central fill pharmacy, like "Power" or whatever the kids are calling it these days, then shipped to your local pharmacy, can you re-process the claim at your local pharmacy or is it a done deal? In PA, ACCESS (welfare) member codes change yearly, and usually you have to call the local ACCESS office to get the new number. I would do that for a regular patient who will not remember that themselves (some of these people need help), but I worry that a central fill pharmacy wouldn't give a s*** and would just do whatever is easiest since they never actually have to see the person they just screwed.
Does anyone know the answer-can you override or re-process a central fill at your pharmacy?
Please don't respond just to slam public welfare-that's another thread. Thanks.

Another Great Depression isn't going to happen again. The first time around the government stood by and let everything collapse. Things are a bit different this time....in case you hadn't noticed or read the news lately.:confused:

Technically they even raised taxes. Yeah... 8...10% employment? Bah...piece of cake. I'll worry when it hits 25%.

interesting thread....what is this about pharmacists getting laided off...it is really true? I figure there is no way pharmacists is at a shortage since there is X number of stores like Walgreens, CVS etc...but there are INFINITE number of pharmacists graduating every year...so there is no way there is a shortage...but laying off pharmacist due to POWER? really? Thats not good.:rolleyes:

It happened a couple months ago with some pharmacists at a local grocery chain here in Phoenix.

Does anyone know how WAGs is deciding who goes to the the mail order facility....who gets the boot...who gets a permanent store? I heard it was by seniority. What if I am a staff pharmacist?

I work for a Wags store in Arizona and we are in the 1st phase of POWER. So far I don't see any problems out of the ordinary for a new program being implemented. I just wanted to comment on some of the opinions I've read...

I wonder where do they come up with the idea that central fill systems are cost saving. I have seen central fill from Duane Reade and it is just a pure headache. It causes more trouble than it helps.

Any pharmacy going to a centrally filled system will be saving a ridiculous amount of money on inventory! My store does between 500-700 scripts a day so let's say 3500 scripts a week on the low side.

At any given time we have about $200,000 in inventory on hand! A good portion of which is maintenance medications. So by centrally filling these maintenance medications you can control inventory costs by supplying to a few hundred or thousand central facilities rather than 6000 stores.

For example, let's say a pharmacy could decrease it's inventory by 50%, I would guess more than that but I'll be conservative. $100,000 per store times the 6000 stores is $600 million!!! This does not even take into account the savings on shipping costs for all this inventory.

Obviously, this is a rough example but you get the idea... The central filling system is clearly more efficient and the wave of the future. I forget where I read it, but someone made a very good point about all the changes that have happened in the past to make the system more efficient, and yet somehow pharmacists still have jobs... 30 years ago there weren't technicians or computers!!! Now a pharmacy can't function without either but they still need the pharmacist more!!!

In addition, think of all the other savings associated with becoming more efficient such as closing down unneccessary stores, utilities, etc.!

As far as laying off people goes, that's life. A lot of other people in other professions are in a much more difficult situation than pharmacists! just remember, because the scripts are not necessarily being filled in the actual pharmacy, they are still being filled. The number of prescriptions filled is not being decreased, thus the workload is still the same and is just being diverted to be more efficient. Wags and other chains who I'm sure are going to follow suit to remain competitive, are going to need people to staff the central fill facilities!

And any pharmacist who is worried about their job is being ridiculous. You might have to change the facility you are working in but you will have a job if you want it. Pharmacists have so many opportunities available that people complaining about this program because of lost jobs are just plain ignorant.

I'm sick of all these people complaining about the chains and how they're about cutting costs and making money... That's business!!! If they didn't do that they would not be successful and you definitely wouldn't have a job because they would be out of business!!! If you think the chains are so wrong, open your own pharmacy where you can pay your employees whatever you want and fill all the prescriptions on the counter with the patient watching for all we care!!! Working for any of these companies is a choice so if you don't like it move on or STFU!!!

Oh, and by the way, Walgreen's market share is very weak in some markets and they are still planning on opening several hundred stores in 2009!!!

Last edited:
Not sure how much inventory would decrease....rather I would think it'll be more of an inventory shift to the central fill. Also, medication delivery from the wholesaler is free. So there goes your savings idea. In fact, it could increase shipping and handling if refills require a delivery.

Cost savings will come frome decrease in labor and bulk purchasing.

I just can't quite see how this type of scheme would ever truly shift as much workload as they think. Unless the chains are willing to tell customers that they MUST wait one day to pick up refills. We have many customers who have not even managed to figure out how to call in the refills on the phone, or get the correct insurance card to us. How is that type of patient going to be proactive enough to say, "Oh yeah - I need to call in this refill 24 or 48 hours in advance." And, you are always going to have some segment who wants the rx "right now".

Members don't see this ad :)
We just spoke to our district supervisor yesterday and he himself said its an absolute bomb. They stopped rolling out stores in phases 2 and 3 for 2 months because the stores that are already full power are having SERIOUS customer service issues. That's why my store hasn't made it to even phase 2 yet -- but even at phase 1 we're having serious customer service issues. The problem is that they didn't pilot this long enough and now that they have put so much money into it, they're not going to cut their losses and reverse what they're doing, they're going to just keep on forcing this down peoples throats. Oh well good for the competitors... I'm sure they enjoying the rising script volume.

You still have a lot to learn. Inventory actually goes up if anything. Just because the inventory isnt at your store does not mean that it goes down. It simply shifts over to the central fill station. In addition, you also have the additional cost of delivery, gas, trucks to transport from central fill to stores. Then there is also labor as you have to emply pharmacists and staff in those warehouses.

Unnecessary stores do not get closed down for that reason. Where will the central fill pharmacy ship it to? Who will take the orders? You are just a pharmacy student. Calm down and listen to your elders who are more experienced instead of telling them to "stfu". You'll be surprised on what you can pick up.

I work for a Wags store in Arizona and we are in the 1st phase of POWER. So far I don't see any problems out of the ordinary for a new program being implemented. I just wanted to comment on some of the opinions I've read...

Any pharmacy going to a centrally filled system will be saving a ridiculous amount of money on inventory! My store does between 500-700 scripts a day so let's say 3500 scripts a week on the low side.

At any given time we have about $200,000 in inventory on hand! A good portion of which is maintenance medications. So by centrally filling these maintenance medications you can control inventory costs by supplying to a few hundred or thousand central facilities rather than 6000 stores.

For example, let's say a pharmacy could decrease it's inventory by 50%, I would guess more than that but I'll be conservative. $100,000 per store times the 6000 stores is $600 million!!! This does not even take into account the savings on shipping costs for all this inventory.

Obviously, this is a rough example but you get the idea... The central filling system is clearly more efficient and the wave of the future. I forget where I read it, but someone made a very good point about all the changes that have happened in the past to make the system more efficient, and yet somehow pharmacists still have jobs... 30 years ago there weren't technicians or computers!!! Now a pharmacy can't function without either but they still need the pharmacist more!!!

In addition, think of all the other savings associated with becoming more efficient such as closing down unneccessary stores, utilities, etc.!

As far as laying off people goes, that's life. A lot of other people in other professions are in a much more difficult situation than pharmacists! just remember, because the scripts are not necessarily being filled in the actual pharmacy, they are still being filled. The number of prescriptions filled is not being decreased, thus the workload is still the same and is just being diverted to be more efficient. Wags and other chains who I'm sure are going to follow suit to remain competitive, are going to need people to staff the central fill facilities!

And any pharmacist who is worried about their job is being ridiculous. You might have to change the facility you are working in but you will have a job if you want it. Pharmacists have so many opportunities available that people complaining about this program because of lost jobs are just plain ignorant.

I'm sick of all these people complaining about the chains and how they're about cutting costs and making money... That's business!!! If they didn't do that they would not be successful and you definitely wouldn't have a job because they would be out of business!!! If you think the chains are so wrong, open your own pharmacy where you can pay your employees whatever you want and fill all the prescriptions on the counter with the patient watching for all we care!!! Working for any of these companies is a choice so if you don't like it move on or STFU!!!

Oh, and by the way, Walgreen's market share is very weak in some markets and they are still planning on opening several hundred stores in 2009!!!

These patients are going to be talking a stranger in a town hours away when they call. These execs. ( some have risen through the ranks...some have forgotten (or have NEVER known) the subtle nuances of knowing your patients. Mrs. Bozo only likes Watson fentanyl, Mr. nutbag will only take the ( non-warehouse ) blue pills of his generic.

Yes, cutting overall inventory and cutting payroll does make sense.

Alienating your bread and butter....re-inventing the wheel...gas isn't going to be this low forever....dumb.

Here is what I fear. Please, if anyone has experienced this "power", tell me I am wrong:

You can forget about the mini chit-chatting with customers you've served for years, because you'll be getting the "evil eye" from the people in line because.....
...because
...you, my pal,ARE the cashier.:scared:

Last edited:
According to what I learned in economic class, if a company extends its size, the profit curves will decrease due to a cost of distance maintaine, and labors. The company will operate less efficienly. I guess this is a reason why Wags want to bring its size smaller to achieve a perfect point on a bellshape curve of profit, that is to say to achieve maximum profits. The disadvantages of this system are customers who are used to having the traditional way of getting medication from the stores, they will feel inconvenience to a new way, some may not even know why they have to go back tomorrow. Wagreens will lose customers to competitors, and therefore decreasing in profits.

As long as wagreens lose thier reputation, it will be hard for them to regain the trusts from publish. Therefore, this will cause a long term damage to company. In a short term, they might still make money, but the damages it causes in a long run can be very bad, and unpredictable.

You still have a lot to learn. Inventory actually goes up if anything. Just because the inventory isnt at your store does not mean that it goes down. It simply shifts over to the central fill station. In addition, you also have the additional cost of delivery, gas, trucks to transport from central fill to stores. Then there is also labor as you have to emply pharmacists and staff in those warehouses.

Unnecessary stores do not get closed down for that reason. Where will the central fill pharmacy ship it to? Who will take the orders? You are just a pharmacy student. Calm down and listen to your elders who are more experienced instead of telling them to "stfu". You'll be surprised on what you can pick up.

Asian Farmer Boi, in answer to your point, even though you are just shifting the inventory from the 6000 plus stores to the few central fill facilities, the cost will go down because you only have to supply a few facilities with all these medications instead of 6000 stores!!! You cannot honestly tell me that you don't think that is going to save money. How can they not save money buy buying the medication in bulk a for a few places rather than buying it a bunch of times and shipping it to 6000 stores?!?! In addition, the real savings will be from Cardinal orders. Instead of having to either keep large inventories on hand in every store or ordering from Cardinal at a huge cost either way, these central fill facilities can keep more medications on hand at a much lower cost, thus saving money!!! Probably a lot more money than you think!

Paying someone $10 an hour to drive 50 miles is not nearly as expensive as either keeping on hand or ordering all the medications needed to serve our patients...

As for the other point you made about stores not being shut down, I totally agree with you... I just threw that in there for all the people who were whining about how Wags Power was going to put pharmacists and techs out-of-work and that we need to start a national union to stop this from happening!!! If you read earlier on in the thread some Florida people were complaining about a few stores closing so I just responded to their concerns.

http://www.pioneerlocal.com/deerfield/news/1368494,de-walgreens-010809-s1.article

Walgreens estimates that they are going to save over $1 billion by 2011 with an investment of $300 to $400 million to implement this program. Maybe I'm somewhat wrong on where they are going to be saving money, but I can assure you that they will be saving money somewhere!!! Looks like you may have quite a bit to learn yourself as well...

According to what I learned in economic class, if a company extends its size, the profit curves will decrease due to a cost of distance maintaine, and labors. The company will operate less efficienly. I guess this is a reason why Wags want to bring its size smaller to achieve a perfect point on a bellshape curve of profit, that is to say to achieve maximum profits. The disadvantages of this system are customers who are used to having the traditional way of getting medication from the stores, they will feel inconvenience to a new way, some may not even know why they have to go back tomorrow. Wagreens will lose customers to competitors, and therefore decreasing in profits.

As long as wagreens lose thier reputation, it will be hard for them to regain the trusts from publish. Therefore, this will cause a long term damage to company. In a short term, they might still make money, but the damages it causes in a long run can be very bad, and unpredictable.

There are growing pains with any new system and Wags isn't forcing patients to wait until the next day to pick up their prescription. If they want it today, they get it today... All pain meds and antibiotics are of course going to be filled right away in the store, this system isn't trying to stop that. It is simply trying to decrease the robotic workload of filling the prescriptions that people come in and get every single month. The unfortunate thing is that pharmacy patients today have become used to dropping their bottle off at the in-window and expecting the rx to be done by the time they get to the pick-up window. They just have to be conditioned to the new system where they put their refills in the day before they want them. If they don't, are we going to make them wait, of course not. But will our jobs be easier if they do, YES! Plus, if we are not busy doing refills like that we have more time to actually talk to the patient and give them real medical care like DUR review and MTM instead of taking the pills from the big bottle and putting them in the little bottle while they watch us!!!

Now, are some people going to be resistant to change? Will Walgreens lose some customers during this transition? YES... But, will it benefit them in the long run?! YES... Walgreens is an industry leader when it comes to things like this and I'm sure that the other major chains are going be right behind them! And, in my experience the funny thing about people who leave Walgreens because of the "poor service" is that I see most of them end up coming back at one point or another.

Last edited:
I will start to shake when the airline industry figures out a way to get rid of the pilot.

Ever hear of pilotless aircraft??? There are "pilots" sitting in Nevada earning Airman's Medals for flying the Predator in the desert.

The only thing that keeps the airlines from trying it is that the public would absolutely refuse to fly on a plane without a pilot.

Too bad the same thing can't be said for drive-thru pharmacies and mail-order.

Is a dangerous program. Pharmacist and techs will loose job. The needs for them will be decresead in a few months. Is very $$ oriented , Rx staff is now seen as expense to them

Is a dangerous program. Pharmacist and techs will loose job. The needs for them will be decresead in a few months. Is very $$ oriented , Rx staff is now seen as expense to them
Care to elaborate?

One would think decreased foot traffic in a store would decrease overall business. WAG's doesn't think so. Have those at WAG's seen a decrease in overall store traffic as a result of POWER?

I have been with wag for a few years now as an intern, i even took the scholarship for 4 years b/c i was sure i was going to work for them. when i first heard about power (i'm in south florida) i was excited b/c it would give us pharmacists more time to counsel. but truthfully, POWER IS A TERRIBLE IDEA FOR US! IT WILL CUT JOBS!

THIS IS WHY:

for stores that do 500+/day scripts, there r typically THREE pharmacists.

8-4
10-6
2-10
(and overnight if a 24hr store)

with power, the 10-6 pharmacist is going to be cut, or will be cut. trust me, i've seen it in my time visiting wagreens in orlando to check out power and i've seen it now as all our stores are full power.

although my district supervisor guaranteed me one of the 6 possible openings she might have, she has already told me that many pharmacists will be moved to the central fill station and once that is filled up, will be laid off. despite my "guaranteed" position, i am turning my eyes towards residency (and have my interviews this month). CVS will follow suit eventually if this works out for wag, it's just common sense.

any questions about power let me know. I worked closely with my district supervisor to put it into motion while i work as an intern. i never dreamed of doing a residency and perhaps working hospital, but it looks like it will happen. the worst part is, b/c of the central fill station and delivery options, we can no longer work mail order along with full retail walgreens.

my initial goal was to do full time wag and part time mail order or hosp, but it looks like i will have to be full time hosp and part time wag...

I have been with wag for a few years now as an intern, i even took the scholarship for 4 years b/c i was sure i was going to work for them. when i first heard about power (i'm in south florida) i was excited b/c it would give us pharmacists more time to counsel. but truthfully, POWER IS A TERRIBLE IDEA FOR US! IT WILL CUT JOBS!

THIS IS WHY:

8-4
10-6
2-10

with power, the 10-6 pharmacist is going to be cut, or will be cut. trust me, i've seen it in my time visiting wagreens in orlando to check out power and i've seen it now as all our stores are full power.

although my district supervisor guaranteed me one of the 6 possible openings she might have, she has already told me that many pharmacists will be moved to the central fill station and once that is filled up, will be laid off. despite my "guaranteed" position, i am turning my eyes towards residency (and have my interviews this month). CVS will follow suit eventually if this works out for wag, it's just common sense.

any questions about power let me know. I worked closely with my district supervisor to put it into motion while i work as an intern. i never dreamed of doing a residency and perhaps working hospital, but it looks like it will happen. the worst part is, b/c of the central fill station and delivery options, we can no longer work mail order along with full retail walgreens.

my initial goal was to do full time wag and part time mail order or hosp, but it looks like i will have to be full time hosp and part time wag...

The more and more they depersonalize pharmacy, the better chance I see for me to open an independent.

THIS IS WHY:

8-4
10-6
2-10

Why have pharmacists not been laid off in Florida, where many stores are on full POWER? I do not think pharmacists have to worry about being laid off; perhaps moved, but not laid off. Also, stores that are on full POWER in Florida are on a reduced 9-9 (weekday) and 9-5 (weekend) schedule. I am not sure how the pharmacists' schedules are done in those types of stores. I am assuming there are two pharmacists, one 9-5 and the other 1-9, creating four hours of overlap. This would assure both pharmacists an eight our shift on weekdays and weekends (weekends they're only open 9-5 anyway).

Why have pharmacists not been laid off in Florida, where many stores are on full POWER? I do not think pharmacists have to worry about being laid off; perhaps moved, but not laid off. Also, stores that are on full POWER in Florida are on a reduced 9-9 (weekday) and 9-5 (weekend) schedule. I am not sure how the pharmacists' schedules are done in those types of stores. I am assuming there are two pharmacists, one 9-5 and the other 1-9, creating four hours of overlap. This would assure both pharmacists an eight our shift on weekdays and weekends (weekends they're only open 9-5 anyway).

The stores that are 9-9 are allowed to have two pharmacists on staff. That means if either ever wants a day off, the other has to work a 12 hour shift. That also means the RPH who was covering that store two days per week is no longer needed.

Are you sure there have been no layoffs? I have heard otherwise, but there have been no formal announcements by the company.

The whole goal of POWER is to save money. How is money saved? It reduces payroll in the pharmacy.

Last edited by a moderator:

I left Walgreens right before they started preparing for Power. The midshifts were cut. Those that were midshift pharmacists became floaters. That created less hours for floaters, which in turn no longer make enough hours for benefits. Techs have been cut down drastically, so there is no additional time to counsel.

Think about it logically people. The only goal of this power program is to reduce costs by reducing payroll. We are the most expensive cost for a pharmacy other than the drugs. Walgreens can do very little to control the cost of the drugs but they sure as hell can do something about the cost of payroll.

dgroulx was there when it was starting and saw the effects. Walgreens power program is not good for pharmacists, it is good for the company. If you are not worried you are not paying attention.

It won't be long before CVS follows suit.

Think about it logically people. The only goal of this power program is to reduce costs by reducing payroll. We are the most expensive cost for a pharmacy other than the drugs. Walgreens can do very little to control the cost of the drugs but they sure as hell can do something about the cost of payroll.

dgroulx was there when it was starting and saw the effects. Walgreens power program is not good for pharmacists, it is good for the company. If you are not worried you are not paying attention.

It won't be long before CVS follows suit.

Cvs won't have to lay off pharmacists or change shifts as there is no overlap in AZ. I know walgreens is getting rid of overlap and I am sure will start making rphs work 14 hour shifts. They will be met with resistance but with the shortage no more there won't be much leverage.

Most of the medications that you see in a pharmacy is already brought in bulk. When a store orders something, they order it from the warehouse. Special orders is what it is. They wont be kept in stock because it is expensive unless a patient needs it. Hence no money is saved there.

Any small savings is offset by driving and by the stores doubling up on work. Patient loses his order of lisinopril and the store wastes the same hours doing the same thing. The pharmacist is already there regardless of how many scripts they fill. Adding one more script doesnt increase their pharmacy payroll budget.

Like other people said here, savings come from reduced pharmacy hours. My point is how much do they really save as there would be scripts lost from pharmacy not opening or people leaving to other independents. That is why I dont see CVS doing central fill in the future. We dont have a mid day pharmacist.

Asian Farmer Boi, in answer to your point, even though you are just shifting the inventory from the 6000 plus stores to the few central fill facilities, the cost will go down because you only have to supply a few facilities with all these medications instead of 6000 stores!!! You cannot honestly tell me that you don't think that is going to save money. How can they not save money buy buying the medication in bulk a for a few places rather than buying it a bunch of times and shipping it to 6000 stores?!?! In addition, the real savings will be from Cardinal orders. Instead of having to either keep large inventories on hand in every store or ordering from Cardinal at a huge cost either way, these central fill facilities can keep more medications on hand at a much lower cost, thus saving money!!! Probably a lot more money than you think!

Paying someone $10 an hour to drive 50 miles is not nearly as expensive as either keeping on hand or ordering all the medications needed to serve our patients...

As for the other point you made about stores not being shut down, I totally agree with you... I just threw that in there for all the people who were whining about how Wags Power was going to put pharmacists and techs out-of-work and that we need to start a national union to stop this from happening!!! If you read earlier on in the thread some Florida people were complaining about a few stores closing so I just responded to their concerns.

http://www.pioneerlocal.com/deerfield/news/1368494,de-walgreens-010809-s1.article

Walgreens estimates that they are going to save over $1 billion by 2011 with an investment of $300 to $400 million to implement this program. Maybe I'm somewhat wrong on where they are going to be saving money, but I can assure you that they will be saving money somewhere!!! Looks like you may have quite a bit to learn yourself as well...

There are growing pains with any new system and Wags isn't forcing patients to wait until the next day to pick up their prescription. If they want it today, they get it today... All pain meds and antibiotics are of course going to be filled right away in the store, this system isn't trying to stop that. It is simply trying to decrease the robotic workload of filling the prescriptions that people come in and get every single month. The unfortunate thing is that pharmacy patients today have become used to dropping their bottle off at the in-window and expecting the rx to be done by the time they get to the pick-up window. They just have to be conditioned to the new system where they put their refills in the day before they want them. If they don't, are we going to make them wait, of course not. But will our jobs be easier if they do, YES! Plus, if we are not busy doing refills like that we have more time to actually talk to the patient and give them real medical care like DUR review and MTM instead of taking the pills from the big bottle and putting them in the little bottle while they watch us!!!

Now, are some people going to be resistant to change? Will Walgreens lose some customers during this transition? YES... But, will it benefit them in the long run?! YES... Walgreens is an industry leader when it comes to things like this and I'm sure that the other major chains are going be right behind them! And, in my experience the funny thing about people who leave Walgreens because of the "poor service" is that I see most of them end up coming back at one point or another.

several techs in my pharmacy have just been layed off, and a mass layoff has begun here in Florida....
this powere thing took out alot of jobs, next it will be the pharmds based on seniority....

Cvs won't have to lay off pharmacists or change shifts as there is no overlap in AZ. I know walgreens is getting rid of overlap and I am sure will start making rphs work 14 hour shifts. They will be met with resistance but with the shortage no more there won't be much leverage.

We lost out chance to do something about this. We should have been using our leverage to improve working conditions and advance the profession. Instead we used it to get big sign on bonuses and pay raises. Now that the shortage is over look what’s left. Idiotic programs like Walgreens power with CVS soon to follow with their version. Forced 12 and 14 hour shifts with no breaks. A complete break down of our profession.

The only hope we have is all of this will cause a resurgence of independents. Maybe the government will subsidize them like they do the small farms that were run out of business by the big corporate farms.

We lost out chance to do something about this. We should have been using our leverage to improve working conditions and advance the profession. Instead we used it to get big sign on bonuses and pay raises. Now that the shortage is over look what’s left. Idiotic programs like Walgreens power with CVS soon to follow with their version. Forced 12 and 14 hour shifts with no breaks. A complete break down of our profession.

The only hope we have is all of this will cause a resurgence of independents. Maybe the government will subsidize them like they do the small farms that were run out of business by the big corporate farms.

I have heard there are some serious customer service problems going on. I for one see a pretty big opportunity on the horizon.

I don't foresee a resurgence of independends because of the way PBM, Medicare/Medicaid, and the 3rd party reimbursement is headed.

I agree w/Zyvox , the landscape won't change for independents. A successful independent has to find his/her niche: location, compounding for the natural hormone doc, the local vet, DME, ostomy...etc.

12 hours days without a break...that's nothing new.

If this "works" ...if it "pans out"---->less pharmacist jobs on the horizon. You may say, oh, well, less RETAIL jobs. If retailers are squeezed out of retail, they will bleed into all aspects/corners of pharmacy.

Oh, and if we need less pharmacists, we will need less pharmacy schools and academia.

The only positive is if this system , in fact, really is efficient, really allows for MTM...and it's not just smoke being blown to distract from the $$$ savings. I can't focus on MTM if I have to ring-up your noodle soup and wrinkle cream. That is not meant to be funny, either.

This is huge. And other professionals , in all aspects of pharmacy ( schools, professors, The APHA,our liability insurers) better wrap their heads around it.

If techs get allowed to do major verification points of our job...the patient and the profession will suffer. Oh, but the stockholders will win.

Wouldn't the consumer win as well as as pharmacy companies are reducing one of the greatest cost-centers of dispensing?

I don't foresee a resurgence of independends because of the way PBM, Medicare/Medicaid, and the 3rd party reimbursement is headed.

The wild card is the new President and the democratic congress. I think it all hinges on what changes they make. If the reimbursement changes it could swing things back in favor of the independants.

Wouldn't the consumer win as well as as pharmacy companies are reducing one of the greatest cost-centers of dispensing?

The greatest cost of dispensing is the cost of the drug. The only non-regulated part of the whole system is how drug companies price their drugs.

Prescription drugs are not expensive because of the labor cost that goes into filling them. Prescription drugs are expensive because pharmaceutical companies can charge whatever they want for their drug.

You want to lower the cost of prescription drugs? Then start with the manufacturer instead of cutting reimbursement to the pharmacy.

The wild card is the new President and the democratic congress. I think it all hinges on what changes they make. If the reimbursement changes it could swing things back in favor of the independants.

That is true.

However, the healthcare expenditure in the US budget is one of the largest expense. And I doubt the "reform" will mean more money to pharmacy.

How will Obama juggle healthcare reform vs. economic stimulus? I'm not sure it's humanly possible...

By making healthcare reform part of the economic stimulus. If he were to expand public options it would not only create jobs it'd also reduce premiums for thousands of people.

For-profit insurance companies need to die, and need to die violently. I know I'll need a cigarette after they're put down.

For-profit insurance companies need to die, and need to die violently. I know I'll need a cigarette after they're put down.

+++1
It creates an environment for greed and fraudulent activity. The consumer that has no control over the situation and loses out in the end, and a select minority get rich in the process.

Companies can profit all they want off nonessential luxuries like tvs, but crucial healthcare and retirement funds should not be lucrative.

If you see what has happened in Florida, most of the stores are all 9-9 now. So, they are not working 14 hour shifts. The way 9-9 hour stores here in az have been scheduled, you get 4 hours of overlap a week (2 hours on you busiest two day). That 4 hours of overlap create enough hours for the store to be run with two 40hr/wk rph's. This system get you to work one 12 hour day per week per rph. You have one day a week where you both work 6 hrs, then on the overlap day, one work 6, one 8. When you throw in every other weekend, it works out to 80/payperiod. One 12 hour day a week will not be bad.

If you see what has happened in Florida, most of the stores are all 9-9 now. So, they are not working 14 hour shifts. The way 9-9 hour stores here in az have been scheduled, you get 4 hours of overlap a week (2 hours on you busiest two day). That 4 hours of overlap create enough hours for the store to be run with two 40hr/wk rph's. This system get you to work one 12 hour day per week per rph. You have one day a week where you both work 6 hrs, then on the overlap day, one work 6, one 8. When you throw in every other weekend, it works out to 80/payperiod. One 12 hour day a week will not be bad.

That is exactly how we run and it is crap. You do not think one 12 hour day a week is bad but it is. Throw in 10 hours on Saturday every other weeked and it loses its fun real fast. This is the worst schedule I have ever worked.

And I'm yet to find a single pharmacist of the many that work in the busy south florida market that are even ok with it. It's not that we don't like it; we f***** hate it. The sell you the idea as "yeah, you'll get to use your skills more; Think of it as an MDs office, you move from register to register counseling while the techs do the cashiering".... and in practice it's all BS. We are stuck cashiering, and no real counseling is being done, since you still have to sell 500 RXs per day. Where as before MRs Smith 10 prescription would be all contained in one bag, now you have to dig for 10 separate bags, and the ready bins (beacuse of all the autofill) would hold about 600 RXs per day are now holding about 1400 (from a lot of S*** that is never picked up.) Remember the "we don't live in perfect WAG adds from a few years ago) Autofills are a sham, we don't live in perfect, therapies aren't perfect and people change drug, dose and the like quite often. Autofill are in deed a risk and I see very many pt's complaining about "I no longer that drug, who the H*** even ordered it"

Autofill are in deed a risk and I see very many pt's complaining about "I no longer that drug, who the H*** even ordered it"

Just another great idea pushed by the ignorant corporation.

sorry if i missed it, i'm just trying to educate myself here.. is POWER just the name they drew out of a hat or is it an acronym for something???

Pharmacists Oppose Walgreens Execrable Regime

POWER is an acronym and stands for Pharmacy Optimization With Enterprise Re-engeneering