What to do during second gap year? Masters?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Masttt91

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Next year will be presumably my second gap year. I applied (mostly DO, some MD) after graduating college last may, but my applications were extremely late. My stats were okay/not great (3.51cGPa, 25 MCAT). I plan on retaking the mcat this spring. As for next year I'm not really sure what I can do to fill up my time. Even though I feel like I'm being productive, I'm getting pretty restless and I don't think I can go another year without taking classes. Which is why I'm considering doing a SMP or an accelerated masters program, while I reapply for the 2016 cycle.

If I don't do an SMP I thought I might get an MPH, an MBA, or maybe a traditional masters program in a related science field, anything that will at least somewhat benefit me in the future. I really just don't want to feel like I'm wasting another year. Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Try the LMU MS in Biomedical Science SMP. Take the 3 DO courses (along with other graduate level courses) and if you get B or higher and get accepted to LMU-DCOM, you don't have to repeat them whereas other SMP DO/MD you have to retake all of them. It's almost like a 5yr plan if you do well. You would have to TA the Anatomy class I think as an OMS-1A. Hopefully, they don't change this policy. There's a thread in the Post-Bacc forum.

The linked smp is a decent idea if you nail it. If you bomb/fail though you are pretty done with

Did you apply to all the newer DO schools? Your stats are reasonable to have gotten in