when you found out you got in, how did you react ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just finished TA'ing and was tired and hungry. I drove to the local chinese place I frequent often and picked up the order I had called in prior, paid for my order, and exited the restaurant, excited to get home asap and begin consuming the msg-laden food. Upon arriving home, I walk up to the mailbox and open it to see that surprisingly, no one else in the house had picked it up, being that it was late into the afternoon. I grab the bundle of mail and notice a large white envelope, and out of the corner of my eye I spot the words "office of admissions" on it. My heart begins to race as I run to the door and fumble for my keys; chinese food in one hand and mail in the other. I open the door and drop everything hastily on the living room table, my chinese food making an unsettling "thump" sound as I furiously open the envelope, out of which a folder appears. I open the folder to reveal a white letter... once I spot the words "congratulations" and "class of 2018" a rush of adrenaline floods my circulatory system.

I start thinking of all the people I need to call and notify, the first of which is my mom. I call her, and no answer. Next I try my dad, but he is at work so no answer either. I run out of my house, into my car and drive to my brother's place 1 minute away. I notice that his car isn't there; his daughter just got out of school and he had left to pick her up. I immediately call my sister-in-law, who also doesn't answer because she is working. Still in a happy shock, I drive to campus (the university is only 5 minutes away) and run-walk to the science building, running up 4 flights of stairs to the 4th floor where my research professor/advisor's office is, only to find that it is locked. I go back to the second floor to the chemistry office and find out that she is in a meeting with the chair. I then go down to the first floor to my major advisor's office and knock on the door but he has gone home for the day. Well the 7th time's the charm; I go to the pre-professional advisor's office and see that he is still there, and tell him the news to much elation and festivity. After this adventure I drove back home only to find out that my chinese food had gotten cold and soggy but I didn't care.

*Edit: Just realized that I joined sdn as a high school senior pre-dent... crazy how things change.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 14 users
My first acceptance I was all:
celebrating-the-breakup-good.gif%3Fw%3D584

Every subsequent acceptance I was all:
tommy-lee-jones-golden-globes.gif%3Fw%3D542%26h%3D300

haha this is so true. After my first acceptance I was like 'YEAH BOY!! YEAH!!". After that, adcoms would call me and I'd be like "oh nice, thanks for calling, gotta go though bye"

Reactions: 7 users
I just finished TA'ing and was tired and hungry. I drove to the local chinese place I frequent often and picked up the order I had called in prior, paid for my order, and exited the restaurant, excited to get home asap and begin consuming the msg-laden food. Upon arriving home, I walk up to the mailbox and open it to see that surprisingly, no one else in the house had picked it up, being that it was late into the afternoon. I grab the bundle of mail and notice a large white envelope, and out of the corner of my eye I spot the words "office of admissions" on it. My heart begins to race as I run to the door and fumble for my keys; chinese food in one hand and mail in the other. I open the door and drop everything hastily on the living room table, my chinese food making an unsettling "thump" sound as I furiously open the envelope, out of which a folder appears. I open the folder to reveal a white letter... once I spot the words "congratulations" and "class of 2018" a rush of adrenaline floods my circulatory system.

I start thinking of all the people I need to call and notify, the first of which is my mom. I call her, and no answer. Next I try my dad, but he is at work so no answer either. I run out of my house, into my car and drive to my brother's place 1 minute away. I notice that his car isn't there; his daughter just got out of school and he had left to pick her up. I immediately call my sister-in-law, who also doesn't answer because she is working. Still in a happy shock, I drive to campus (the university is only 5 minutes away) and run-walk to the science building, running up 4 flights of stairs to the 4th floor where my research professor/advisor's office is, only to find that it is locked. I go back to the second floor to the chemistry office and find out that she is in a meeting with the chair. I then go down to the first floor to my major advisor's office and knock on the door but he has gone home for the day. Well the 7th time's the charm; I go to the pre-professional advisor's office and see that he is still there, and tell him the news to much elation and festivity. After this adventure I drove back home only to find out that my chinese food had gotten cold and soggy but I didn't care.

But did you eat the cold, soggy Chinese food? Crucial part of the story, man..

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I was accepted to one of my top two choices via email; naturally I was ecstatic, so I ran off and called all my family to let them know. A little later I return to my computer to see that I had received another email from the same admissions officer with the same subject line as before, but with "Correction" added on. My heart stopped. I opened the email, which began, "Please accept our sincere apologies..." At this point I was freaking out that they had inadvertently accepted me and were now fixing their mistake, but then the rest of the sentence read, "but some of the dates in the earlier email we sent you were incorrect." Turns out some of the dates for the revisit weekend were wrong. Can't say I've ever had such a quick roller coaster of adrenaline rush and relief (and annoyance) in my life.

Reactions: 10 users
I was accepted to one of my top two choices via email; naturally I was ecstatic, so I ran off and called all my family to let them know. A little later I return to my computer to see that I had received another email from the same admissions officer with the same subject line as before, but with "Correction" added on. My heart stopped. I opened the email, which began, "Please accept our sincere apologies..." At this point I was freaking out that they had inadvertently accepted me and were now fixing their mistake, but then the rest of the sentence read, "but some of the dates in the earlier email we sent you were incorrect." Turns out some of the dates for the revisit weekend were wrong. Can't say I've ever had such a quick roller coaster of adrenaline rush and relief (and annoyance) in my life.

To which the only responding email could be "!@%$ you for playing with my emotions you bags of !#!^s. I'm withdrawing my acceptance oh wait no I'm not oh wait yes I amYOU SEE HOW THIS FEELS??"

I'm not a very expressive person, so on the outside my reaction was

Sean-Connery-Fist-Pump-US-Open.gif

On the inside I was more like:

1.gif

Reactions: 4 users
I was stuck in Massachusetts with a flat tire only minutes before I was supposed to be on the road heading home to New York for an important class. I was in mid-phone conversation with a friend of mine when my call-waiting started with an unrecognizable area code. "Hold on," I said, "I'm about to get into medical school."

"Hello, is this Mr. Firstnamelastname?"

"Yes, and I hope you have good news 'cause this days sucks so far!"

She didn't quite know how to react so she just continued reading her prompt in front of her.

...and then I bought a new tire.

Reactions: 15 users
I was stuck in Massachusetts with a flat tire only minutes before I was supposed to be on the road heading home to New York for an important class. I was in mid-phone conversation with a friend of mine when my call-waiting started with an unrecognizable area code. "Hold on," I said, "I'm about to get into medical school."

She didn't quite know how to react so she just continued reading her prompt in front of her.

This is boss.

Reactions: 1 users
Well, they kind of ruined my excitement. Two days before finalizing my acceptance Dean of admissions called me since I made a mistake on my secondary application.It was a hint that I will be accepted.So when they called me:
Dean: Hello, is this so and so?
Me: Yes
Dean: Well, I have an exciting news to share with you.You've been accepted to LLU school of medicine
Me: Oh okay, thank you! did I really say that
Dean: continued her monolog :)

When I found out I got into ATSU-SOMA, and WesternU, I did a happy dance. :woot:
When I found out I got into TCOM, I did a super-happy dance. :claps:

Yesterday morning, when I found out I got into the only MD school that granted me an interview...
I did the freakin' amazin' mind-blowing happy dance, and my wife and kids joined in!!! :soexcited::clap::highfive::highfive:

:hello:It's nice to finally be in the club.

Reactions: 6 users

Cool story bro

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Stopped by the post office to grab my mail before work. Opened up my box and found my acceptance packet under the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit edition. Reacted exactly like this

rabbit_ultra2012.gif

Reactions: 2 users
I choked - literally. I was eating, he called me to let me know I was accepted (it was a strange phone number) and I started to choke. People had to help me and the admission person just sat there for 3 minutes listening to hysteria in the background.

Reactions: 21 users
Oh t'was a glorious day! I was eating lunch at my UCSF interview and my phone suddenly vibrated. I knew it had something to do with my fate with UCSD. After inconspicuously reading the email, and seeing the Congratulations Tijou..... I wanted to scream for joy but I knew I had to maintain my excitement. I excused myself to the restroom and did my super freaking happy dance and texted my family and friends. I got myself together and walked back out, it was the most relaxed interview day after that.

1st (DO acceptance): No one believed me when I said I thought I had a chance. Woke up at 8:04 on the first day TX schools could accept to an email on my phone. Text my wife and mom. Mom said "keep your options open. so what does this mean?". Um I'm going ot medical school mom that's what it means. Wife "I'm surprised". Thanks everyone

1st MD: Results came out on a Monday. On Wed or Thur the week before some people on the forums noticed their status changed on the schools website. Went to check, Congrats you've been accepted. Hm ok well it's not official and it dissappeared soon after. Monday came, woke up hung over. Checked email. Accepted. Cool that's what I thought. Text everyone. Take shower and drink copious amounts of sprite. Everyone seems much happier this time I tell them.

I cried then ran into a wall. And then sat there holding my breath praying that it wasn't a mistake and I wasn't going to get a call telling me they accidentally sent out acceptances to the wrong batch of applicants. Clearly this process has been messing with my head.

I bought the nicest bottle of Scotch I could find.

Reactions: 5 users
When I got my Madison acceptance letter I was like "Yup I'm a badass just as I thought," then I ate some ramen (oriental with sriracha) and went to bed.

Screamed like some crazy nut, my mom thought something was wrong. Came in running with a spoon in one hand and an onion in the other (she was cooking ). If it wasn't for the acceptance but some other stuff probably would have been smacked over the head for scaring her

Reactions: 4 users
This was my second admissions cycle.

First acceptance to TUCOM: Just got back from the gym around 9pm and I decided to check my email. Screamed when I saw the "unofficial" acceptance email, called a bunch of friends to tell them, and met my girlfriend at her office around 10pm under the guise of bringing her food. Showed her the email and she screamed "you're going to be a doctor!!" with about a dozen people around us. She decided to take the night off and we drove down to my parents' house a few hours away to tell them. Got there around 3am to wake them up and tell them. Slept over and drove back at 8am.

Second acceptance to PSUCOM: Got home from work in the AM and said to my girlfriend "hey I don't think anything will be there, but why don't we check the mailbox first anyway." Checked it together and saw the big white envelope and we both started yelling. Got chinese food to celebrate :)

I've been waiting to post here for a long time. I just found out on Friday that I got accepted to my top choice, so I went on a weekend long, bourbon-fueled bender.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
I was really scared that I wasn't going to get in anywhere because I'd only had 3 interviews out of 13 applications and several straight-out rejections. I was in the middle of tutoring this older guy and I was checking my email while he was working some problems I gave him. Right in the middle of the lesson I screamed and started laugh-crying hysterically - I'd gotten into my #2 school. My student was very understanding, especially since it took about 15 minutes for me to put myself together well enough to teach again, and it was very gracious of him to ignore the periodic bubbling of insane laughter throughout the rest of our session.

I cried then ran into a wall. And then sat there holding my breath praying that it wasn't a mistake and I wasn't going to get a call telling me they accidentally sent out acceptances to the wrong batch of applicants. Clearly this process has been messing with my head.

This....minus the running into a wall bit. Lol. :)

I was on the way to the store to pick up some Drain-O, I had just pulled into the parking lot when I got the call. When the dean asked me how I was I said that I was amazing because I was hearing his voice... Awkward!!

I immediately tried to call everyone that would care and no one answered the damn phone, so I was freaking out in my car on the edge of crying. Finally I gave up on calling people and went into the store, where I wandered around aimlessly for half an hour because I couldn't remember why I had gone in the first place.

Reactions: 7 users
As I was sorting through the mail, I spotted a large white envelope printed with the name of one of the schools I had interviewed at 3 months before. I tore it open as fast as I could, not knowing what to expect, and read the first word: "Congratulations!" My mind went numb and I was in shock, because I hadn't expected to get in anywhere and I had already started studying to retake the MCAT! I walked slowly to my mom's room and calmly said, "Well, I got accepted." (Lol, I'm not the most expressive person :p) My mom gasped and said, "Oh, good, honey!" and hugged me...it was a great feeling and I was so relieved that I had gotten in somewhere!

Called and asked about how much money they were offering me to attend.

I'm so glad someone revived this thread. :)

I work in clinical trials at X University Hospital and was sending my boss an email before going to talk to a patient. As I was typing it, up pops a little Chrome notice saying SCHOOL OF MEDICINE. My heart is pounding. I open the email and it says AS ATTACHED. My reaction was $%@! at first, but I opened up the attachment. First line - "Congratulations!"

Mind you, I thought my reaction would be tears. I'm 29 years old, this was the only interview I got, and I was considering other career options. I started laughing like a crazy person. Trembling, I ran outside and called my mom, leaving a voice message. I run back in and finish the rest of my shift (4 more hours), I felt like I owed the hospital for the rest of the day.

The hospital has no reception, so I got two voicemail replies from my mom.

VOICEMAIL #1 - "Your message you left no work (My mother is a foreigner). Do you not love me? You never talk to me. You must be a bad son. Call me."

VOICEMAIL #2 - Lots of sobbing. "I'm so proud of you..." ;_;

Getting in meant a lot to me. But my mom has been through a lot in her life, so hearing her cry on the other line broke my heart. Congratulations to everyone and their families! Your success is theirs too.

Reactions: 30 users
I got the call while I was at another interview, so I had to go to the bathroom and check my voicemail to find out. As soon as the day was over I went straight to a bar, ordered a beer and a whiskey, and called my mom.

I checked my phone right before warming up for a baseball game. Saw I had a voicemail, so I listened to it and it was an admission's secretary asking me to call back. I called back and was accepted. I did an epic fist pump, told one of my teammates and he yelled it out and so then everyone started yelling and saying congrats and some hugged me. It was great! Will never forget the moment.

bumpin' for all my brahs on that MCAT struggle life, keep husslin

I was in the middle of a family therapy session with my mother... #california

I had to leave, it was pretty obvious that I wasn't going to be able to focus on whatever we were talking about.

Went outside to the parking lot, sat in the car, called my dad, my best friend, and my boyfriend, and reread the acceptance email about 40 times.

OMG, I totally forgot about this thread! Oh man, I need to make sure I can tell the story how I want to. So glad I'll be able to.

Just a couple weeks back after ignoring the mailbox checks for a while, my dad calls me at work and tells me I have a letter from one of the schools I interviewed at. I was like open it!!! It took about 2 minutes for him to open it lol I was like dad what is taking soooooo long!!! rip it open!! Then when he finally starts reading it, he had to read the whole first paragraph until it finally said I was accepted into the class of 2018! The longest minutes of my life... Then I was like bring the letter to my job (because I wanted to make sure it was official and I wasn't dreaming up words he read lol)... After I hung up, I was like thank you God, I'm so grateful, you kept your promise.

I can finally add to this thread! Feels so good to post in here.

So my friend and I interviewed about the same day. About a week after our interviews I called him from a private number to scare him into thinking that he got the call and it turned out to be a funny prank and we all laughed.

Yesterday night I was driving and I got a call from a private number. Suspicious that it could be my friend, I picked up the phone expecting the worst.

Dean of admissions: Hello KobeShouldBeAMD
Me: jsktoqhqlxoviwj
Dean: Do you know why I'm calling?
Me:&;@29;93&1719,77,$:mad:2!;
Dean: you've been accepted into blah blah
Me: thank you so much, I will make you proud, I love you
Dean: you deserved it! Congrats
Me: akwdkickehajcjejejsiciebzbcj

Called my dad right after, he yelled on the phone. It was a glorious moment. It feels amazing to make your parents proud.

do most schools give a call???
or is it pretty even between email/call?
i have dreams about this day!

Stopped by the post office to grab my mail before work. Opened up my box and found my acceptance packet under the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit edition. Reacted exactly like this

rabbit_ultra2012.gif
I love this gif.

It was a week after my rejection from JH. I was sitting in a special topics bio class next to a good friend of mine. We were writing article summaries when my email tone goes off on my phone. It was from admissions which said "Congratulations" and I almost yelled like a girl. Being rejected from JH made me feel like I wouldn't get in anywhere (which I know is absurd). Read the email and after the class I called my family to let them know that my Biochemistry degree wasn't for nothing. That weekend I got ****** up.

I've been waiting to post on this thread for so long. After an unsuccessful application cycle last year along with a range of stressful health issues, my confidence/motivation to apply a second time was so low. But I tried to keep remembering the "spark" I had in college that truly compelled me to pursue medicine.

Last Wednesday after work, I came home and went up to my room where a letter was sitting on my bed from the school I had interviewed at two weeks prior. Opening up that letter and seeing the immediate "Congratulations!" was incredible! It feels so good to have secured an acceptance so early this cycle. This school is one of my top choices too, so I was, and still am, absolutely thrilled. I cancelled my other two upcoming interviews, updated Facebook, emailed all the doctors/professors who had helped me along the way, called family and friends, and gave myself a little pat on the back for FINALLY making it to medical school :)

To all of you currently applying--it is no exaggeration that it is a long and difficult process. But always remember why you decided to pursue medicine in the first place and don't ever give up!

Bump for the 15th. I want to live vicariously through some people.

Reactions: 12 users
Wasn't expecting to do this so soon, but looks like I'll start off :). I had just cooked my girlfriend and I a delicious omelet. You know, the kind of omelet where bits of baby spinach, onions, tomatoes, and pesto melt in your mouth. Probably the ingredients aren't so important to this story, but nevertheless, it was delicious.

As I eat my omelet I proceed to refresh SDN nearly every 30 seconds. I mean after all, this is the 15th, so I know there is no chance of my obsessive/compulsive behavior being quelled on this particular day. As I'm scrolling through school specific threads for schools that I interviewed at, I noticed someone had received a phone call from Jefferson. I looked over to my gf and said, "Jefferson's started to release --", but before I could finish my sentence my phone starts to ring from an unknown area code. My girlfriend and I just looked at each other. For a split second I didn't know what to do. Finally, I snapped out of it and picked up the phone. It was the dean. "Hello Mr. brco this is Dean Callahan. I'm calling today because it is the 15th, and we are allowed to release acceptances. Congratulations! You've been accepted here at Jeff--".... "THANK YOU, THANK YOU, OMG THANK YOU," I screamed. I probably shouldn't have cut the dean off, but I just couldn't hold it in. I had been waiting for this one particular moment for YEARS. It was finally here. My work had finally paid off.

Moral of the story: It has been a bunch of hard work getting here, but it is worth it when you fulfill one of your life's greatest dreams. :cigar:

Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 30 users
I’ve pictured my reaction when finding out about my first med school acceptance so many times: either screaming super loud and telling everyone about it, or kind of just keeping it to myself while being secretly happy. But for some reason, when I found out today, all I could do was cry. Crying because I guess the past three years haven’t been easy. Crying because I can finally take a breath and relax. Crying because even though I’m not the smartest or the most talented or the most hardworking, someone thinks I’m good enough to become a doctor.

Reactions: 61 users
Having read last year's UW SMPH thread, it seemed that the first phone call came on the 17th. So I wasn't really expecting anything today and began working on a case report I'm currently writing for my research. Around 10AM this morning, however, my phone started vibrating and I saw a Madison, WI number was calling. My heart started racing and I was so excited I could barely hold onto my phone when I finally heard the news. I started tearing up a bit, and once the call was over, I took a minute just to look into space and recompose myself before calling my mom. I've felt like I'm dreaming since then all day, and I still can't believe that I've finally gotten accepted into medical school.

Good luck to everyone still waiting, it's an incredible feeling knowing that after all the years of work you've put in, you're going to be a medical student next year!

Reactions: 8 users
Kind of an anti-climatic story, but so it goes.

Went out with some of my friends to a sports bar last evening (holla Taco Tuseday). The cell coverage at the bar was really poor, so I just ended up turning off my data and forgetting about med school all together. However, because I had to be in at work the next morning at 4 frickin am my friend drove me back to my parents' around 10:30 pm

As soon as I got within my house's wifi radius, my phone gives me that terrifying email ping. I think nothing of it, seeing as med school was long out my mind. I open the email... which turns out to be an acceptance offer... as I'm trudging up to bed. Deciding that 10:30 wasn't really that late, I go to my parents' room, where they are both slumbering and in the thick of a very bad flu.

"Hey mum, dad," I announce into the room. "I got into USC!"
"Hmmmph," Says my mother and falls back asleep.
"Go the hell to bed!" My dad yells, somewhat more alert. "Can't you see we're sick?"

And so I go to text my friends and then on to SDN to share the news, where everyone is very much awake.

Reactions: 19 users