when you found out you got in, how did you react ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'd set my alarm for very early today so that I could get some studying done, but of course I'd stayed up late worrying the night before, so I kept hitting snooze on my phone alarm this morning. I ended up awakening to my acceptance phone call, which made for a somewhat bewildering, yet pleasantly abrupt start to the day! My interviewer actually mentioned that they'd called me twice before but obviously I hadn't answered... thank goodness they tried again! Ah! :eek:Although I was sleepy, I gasped and just started profusely thanking my interviewer, and eventually they kindly let me go compose myself and told me to get started on calling other people to let them know, haha.

However, I don't think I could put it any better than @youmeandthesea -- shortly after the news had sunk in, I just started tearing up, and this has continued all day today. The realization that these past years have finally paid off, that I turned out to be capable enough for someone to want me at their school and that they believed in my potential to become a physician... I can hardly put it into coherent words right now. It's been a privilege to be able to dedicate myself to studying and working towards this goal, but it's also been difficult and it still feels (even at this moment) like only yesterday that I decided to firmly pursue medicine, and started on that long road to preparing myself for applying. Even now, just thinking about how tentative everything has felt over the past three years, the sacrifices my family has had to make, and how unsure I've been about my potential to make it to this moment is making me cry! I feel so grateful and lucky to have finally gotten here.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 10 users
Yesterday, I had just finished online training for my job when I got an email from the med school. I thought I hadn't done well during the interviews, so I was expecting a "waitlisted" at best. When I opened up the email, I read through it without any comprehension. Then I lingered on the word "congratulations." Why were they congratulating me? I read through the email again. And again. And again. "Mom," I cried out weakly, "I got into USC." She seemed more excited than I was. I next told my dad, and then my brother. They were all smiling and hugging me. I stood there pushing myself to understand what just happened. I went back to the computer by myself and read the email again, and it finally registered: I am going to med school. At this point, I ceremoniously burst into tears and wrote a message on SDN. Then, I cried some more, ate a piece of pie, and went to bed.

Reactions: 8 users
This AM I had a dream I got into medical school! Woke up really excited, then realized "it was only just a dream" (insert Nelly's song) so I went back to bed.. really really disappointed, doubting myself and my application.. Like "yeah right, acceptance my a$$". Thirty minutes later....ACCEPTANCE CALL with the dean congratulating me!! I realized it was for real this time!! I screamed really hard and ran down the stairs and told my mom/hugged her. Picked up my cat, cried a little and cuddled with him (who congratulated me with his purrs:cat: ). Then proceeded to tell my dad, brother and close friends. Kept wondering if I was still dreaming for the rest of the day.

Reactions: 11 users
Members don't see this ad :)
My brother and I were unloading the dishwasher. As my phone buzzed I saw the out of state area code I was hoping for from the corner of my eye and walked calmly to the phone. I looked at him and said, "I'm about to get into medical school." He said my face contorted in a fashion he had never seen before, and I started sobbing. He was hugging me as I shook uncontrollably, bawling into the phone, while the Dean on the other end laughed.

Exactly how I pictured it.

Reactions: 12 users
Not nearly as profound as your reactions, but honestly, the first thing that came to mind when I heard I got in last year:

Success Kid.jpg

Reactions: 35 users
The call was one of the most liberating and validating moments of my life. Until that point, I had never felt like I was truly good enough for a top level school/career/anything really since I had always been a lazy poop. Finally getting my crap together and applying successfully for once in my life felt amazing. For a split second, I felt super motivated to be a better student and actually went to my first class. Then realized it was stupid, went home, and drank w the homies. Never felt more justified in my life ^_^ All the pre-meds reading this, just know if it was possible for me, it is possible for you. Keep your priorities straight, do what you are supposed to do (your conscience always is tellign you this), and, most importantly, enjoy yourself. There isn't enough time for us on this Earth to waste it unhappily or unproductively..

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
The call was one of the most liberating and validating moments of my life. Until that point, I had never felt like I was truly good enough for a top level school/career/anything really since I had always been a lazy poop. Finally getting my crap together and applying successfully for once in my life felt amazing. For a split second, I felt super motivated to be a better student and actually went to my first class. Then realized it was stupid, went home, did 2 lines, some FAT dabs, and drank w the homies. Never felt more justified in my life ^_^ All the pre-meds reading this, just know if it was possible for me, it is possible for you. Keep your priorities straight, do what you are supposed to do (your conscience always is tellign you this), and, most importantly, enjoy yourself. There isn't enough time for us on this Earth to waste it unhappily or unproductively..
Win. Best post ever. You sir are a boss.

Reactions: 1 user
I was getting dressed to take a nap due to sadness of not hearing from my state school. I figured I had been deferred at best. Just as I was about to put on pajama pants I glanced over over at my phone, only to see it buzzing with a familiar area code. I rushed over to it, fumbled with the lock screen (seriously, iPhones aren't designed for people about to get in to med school) and answered the call.
"Hello?"
"Hi I'm looking for claduva94?"
"Oh this is him."
"Oh great! This is so and so with the _____ School of Medicine. How is your day going?"
"I have the feeling you're about to make it a whole lot better."
"*giggles* Yes. I am very pleased to tell you that we have accepted you for the upcoming school year and would love to see you next fall."
*tears*"Thank you so much" x10
So anyway tldr; I got the acceptance call without pants on. Like a boss.

Reactions: 36 users
I was getting dressed to take a nap due to sadness of not hearing from my state school. I figured I had been deferred at best. Just as I was about to put on pajama pants I glanced over over at my phone, only to see it buzzing with a familiar area code. I rushed over to it, fumbled with the lock screen (seriously, iPhones aren't designed for people about to get in to med school) and answered the call.
"Hello?"
"Hi I'm looking for claduva94?"
"Oh this is him."
"Oh great! This is so and so with the _____ School of Medicine. How is your day going?"
"I have the feeling you're about to make it a whole lot better."
"*giggles* Yes. I am very pleased to tell you that we have accepted you for the upcoming school year and would love to see you next fall."
*tears*"Thank you so much" x10
So anyway tldr; I got the acceptance call without pants on. Like a boss.
#nopants #winning

Members don't see this ad :)
I was at work, admittedly a little down because I hadn't heard from anywhere. My boss asked me in the morning if I heard any news and I just wanted to be alone. As I began focusing on another spread sheet my phone suddenly started vibrating. I looked at the phone for a bit and in my head though "could this be it?"

I'd waited so many years for this moment and when I realized it was the director of admissions calling tears were already welling up in my eyes. I kept my voice composed and kept muttering thank you sir, even though I later realized I should have said doctor, but regardless I was overjoyed when I got off the call. All the years of hard work, disappointment, hope, and struggle rushed through my mind and I cried like a little girl. My co-worker in another cubicle was on a phone call but I patted him on the shoulder to let him know I was in. I can only imagine his thoughts as he saw me drenched in tears haha.

I spent the rest of the day calling my family and friends. I hope I don't get fired for my lack of productivity that day. It still feels like a dream, my life definitely changed with that one phone call and I am so happy.

Last edited:
Reactions: 14 users
I love reading these so much! A greattchange from how... Intense SDN can be. Here's hoping I can contribute my story in the upcoming months.

I was actually sort of wasted when I found out and didn't really believe it until the next morning. Lol.

Reactions: 10 users
Ugh I've been waiting to post in this thread for years so here is goes: So I was on the phone with my mother when I noticed an incoming call. I jokingly said to my mom that I should take this, it could be from a school. I definitely wasn't expecting to here back from any of my schools until at least January. I answered and it was one of my interviewers from Mayo. I just about drove into the ditch with shock! Then he proceeded to try to have small talk with me, and I'm sure all of my answers were SUPER over enthusiastic as I knew a phone call was good news. He asked how I was and I'm pretty sure I said "Yeah I'm driving...it's going great, super great (nervous laughter). I sounded like a complete idiot. He finally gets to the point and I shouted OH MY GOD this is the best day of my life then giggled throughout the rest of the conversation. Luckily my reaction did not retract my acceptance as I got the official email the next morning hahaha.

So I had a pretty anticlimactic first acceptance because it was a school that I had a really poor experience at on my interview. However, I wanted to share what happened when I got into the first school I was tremendously excited about. I was sitting in electronics lab and I got an email from UCSD that said Admissions Decision in the subject line. I was trying to look at my phone on the lab bench without my professor noticing. I quickly swiped to unlock the phone and saw that I had gotten in. I was ecstatic. I really want to go home to Cali for med school and I couldn't imagine a better place than San Diego.

On another note, as the excitement has worn off, I have started to be in awe of what is ahead - both in terms of what I have to learn and what I will have the potential to give. I realize that I am just a (probably naive) college student, but as I look ahead to the journey of becoming a physician, I am filled with incredible hope. In spite of the problems facing the profession and the sacrifices I will make in the coming years, I take solace with the hope that I will be able to help just one patient carry their burden. I have never felt so sure of anything in my life.

Not to make this too sappy, but I wanted to leave you with one of my favorite quotes that I can't stop repeating in my mind as I think about becoming a physician.

"If I were to wish for anything, I should not wish for wealth and power, but for the passionate sense of potential - for the eye which, ever young and ardent, sees the possible. Pleasure disappoints; possibility never." - Kierkegaard

To all those excited to join the medical school class of 2019, I look forward to walking this path with you. Just reading some of your thoughts on this site has been inspirational. I can't wait to read of your accomplishments throughout your career.

Reactions: 12 users
I've held off to post my story on here, but I thought I would share!

I work as a consultant on the east coast and I was headed from work to an interview through NYC. I had been checking my phone constantly throughout the day, people had been asking me if I heard yet, and I hadn't (although I did have an II from Columbia earlier in the morning which was amazing). I got to NYC and my flight was delayed for 2 hours. So I posted up at one of those decked out charger stations and perused the forums, waiting for 5pm to hit (that's when they were supposedly going to call us if we got in). I thought maybe this delay was a sign that I was going to get the call (as opposed to missing it in flight). An hour passes and I head over to my gate and to my dismay, the flight left two minutes ago! It had been delayed but left ahead of schedule (which never happens). Like a crazy person, I ran around to try to find the next flight to Durham. Fortunately there was one boarding that I hopped onto. Still no call. And I was sweating and out of breath from my jog/stress around the terminals.

Got in the plane and cooled off. Desperate, I bought in-flight Wi-Fi to see if I could tell if people on here were getting called. Nope. None... until we started to descend and the Wi-Fi cut out. Panic/excitement set in and we deplaned. I kept hoping my phone would buzz that I had a missed call/voicemail as I went to go find my luggage since it was on the earlier flight. By then it was clear some people had gotten the good news, I was a little bummed. I get to my rental car area and I didn't have a car reserved, so I had to fumble around getting that straightened out and I headed to get some pizza. I figured I needed something to relax and take my mind off of it to get ready for the next day. I drove into town, mentioning to my bf that I was passing Miami Blvd off the highway and what a coincidence since that's where I was waiting to hear from.

I order a fatty pizza and sit down. What a long day... it was definitely exciting and I was not going to worry about not hearing about school yet. And then, my phone buzzes. Voicemail from an hour and a half ago. Miami number. I get to the voicemail and hear the voice of my interviewer congratulating me on my acceptance to my program. I freak out and call everyone important to me in the back of the pizza place. My pizza gets very cold. I could not fall asleep that night!

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
I got the call on 10/15 and the director started off with a sentence that I won't quote verbatim, but the beginning of the sentence led me to believe that I had been waitlisted. The end of of his sentence was "and we'd like to invite you for the class of 2019." I was stunned and just started sobbing. I couldn't speak and I just cried and said "thank you" about three times. I look back and think that I must have sounded like a blubbering idiot, but I have basically gone through a very difficult time these last 3 years for that phone call. My mom and dad were thrilled and I was still crying when I told them the good news immediately afterwards. Dreams really can and do come true sometimes.

Reactions: 1 users
Huge sigh of relief.

I ate a doughnut.
Wait, no. I ate TWO doughnuts.
One "original" and one "pumpkin pie", both purchased from a reasonably priced airport Dunkin Donuts. I remember feeling intense regret over the realization that the "original" doughnut's texture was reminiscent of a Old Debbie product, but without the pleasure of childhood nostalgia.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Phone buzzes 6AM October 25th.
Fack... another post interview wait-list/rejection...
Roll back over and back to sleep...
Wake up again at 730AM and double check phone to make sure the rejection wasn't a dream. Nope the email is really there..but wait..what's this? Did I misread this? ACCEPTANCE>!>?! Stumble to computer. Turn volume to maximal ear bleeding levels. We Are The Champions - Queen ensues. Entire house awaken to loud music and me dancing around the house solo in undies.

Was a good morning.

Last edited:
Reactions: 15 users
My reaction wasn't quite as explosive as I imagined, but I was still overjoyed. As I usually do when I want to procrastinate, I was reading new posts in every school-specific thread where I'm still in the running (this particular instance, still in a bathrobe like two hours after I showered). I got to Iowa's, my clear favorite (ignoring costs, anyway) of the four places I've interviewed so far. Someone had griped that they had just gotten an email from Iowa saying their portal password was reset for them, which toyed with their emotions. So I went into my email to just get rid of the heart-attack-inducing "new message" notification.

Instead of that email, I found one from Iowa saying that a decision had been made. Not knowing quite what to think, I logged in and hit "play" on the embedded Youtube video. The only word I heard was the very first- "Congratulations!" I stopped the video maybe 10 seconds after that and started crying a bit, triumphantly punched the air a few times, and realized I had NO IDEA who to call or text first. It took about an hour for me to contact the people I wanted to know before I put it on Facebook (and SDN).

Later, I realized, "wait a minute... I never actually watched the whole video. What if this is a test and there's a 'hahaha, sucker! Just kidding; you're rejected!' hidden at the end?" So I frantically watched the whole thing only to find that, of course, it wasn't a trick. I've since rewatched it probably 25 times. I had a 14 hour EMS shift that night, so immediate celebration was limited. I went to Chipotle and bought a steak and guac burrito bowl for dinner and a steak and guac burrito for breakfast (both meals on shift).

But probably my favorite part was my partner's reaction. Due to non-overlapping work schedules, I didn't get to see him for 1.5 days after the acceptance. And, to give you some background, I love my very supportive partner, but he has a hard time openly expressing his feelings for me and is the least romantic person I know, which can hurt. He was excited for me when I told him and we texted back and forth for awhile. But when I got home the day after the acceptance, I found a mysterious bag of Funyons (my favorite chips) on my pillow. I picked it up and neatly concealed underneath was by far the most beautiful full-page letter from him that I could have imagined. He told me how proud he is of me, that he knows I'm going to be successful, that he's by my side every step of the way if I'll have him, and how lucky he is to have gotten to know me in this flash of human existence relative to the age of the universe. I cried 10x harder than when I got the acceptance itself :D

Tomorrow night we will finally have time to uncork the $8 bottle of champagne we bought months ago to either toast a first acceptance... or to chug upon reapplication. :p

Last edited:
Reactions: 27 users
My reaction wasn't quite as explosive as I imagined, but I was still overjoyed. As I usually do when I want to procrastinate, I was reading new posts in every school-specific thread where I'm still in the running (this particular instance, still in a bathrobe like two hours after I showered). I got to Iowa's, my clear favorite (ignoring costs, anyway) of the four places I've interviewed so far. Someone had griped that they had just gotten an email from Iowa saying their portal password was reset for them, which toyed with their emotions. So I went into my email to just get rid of the heart-attack-inducing "new message" notification.

Instead of that email, I found one from Iowa saying that a decision had been made. Not knowing quite what to think, I logged in and hit "play" on the embedded Youtube video. The only word I heard was the very first- "Congratulations!" I stopped the video maybe 10 seconds after that and started crying a bit, triumphantly punched the air a few times, and realized I had NO IDEA who to call or text first. It took about an hour for me to contact the people I wanted to know before I put it on Facebook (and SDN).

Later, I realized, "wait a minute... I never actually watched the whole video. What if this is a test and there's a 'hahaha, sucker! Just kidding; you're rejected!' hidden at the end?" So I frantically watched the whole thing only to find that, of course, it wasn't a trick. I've since rewatched it probably 25 times. I had a 14 hour EMS shift that night, so immediate celebration was limited. I went to Chipotle and bought a steak and guac burrito bowl for dinner and a steak and guac burrito for breakfast (both meals on shift).

But probably my favorite part was my partner's reaction. Due to non-overlapping work schedules, I didn't get to see him for 1.5 days after the acceptance. And, to give you some background, I love my very supportive partner, but he has a hard time openly expressing his feelings for me and is the least romantic person I know, which can hurt. He was excited for me when I told him and we texted back and forth for awhile. But when I got home the day after the acceptance, I found a mysterious bag of Funyons (my favorite chips) on my pillow. I picked it up and neatly concealed underneath was by far the most beautiful full-page letter from him that I could have imagined. He told me how proud he is of me, that he knows I'm going to be successful, that he's by my side every step of the way if I'll have him, and how lucky he is to have gotten to know me in this flash of human existence relative to the age of the universe. I cried 10x harder than when I got the acceptance itself :D

Tomorrow night we will finally have time to uncork the $8 bottle of champagne we bought months ago to either toast a first acceptance... or to chug upon reapplication. :p
Dem feels.

Congratulations!

I got the email, couldn't open the PDF on my phone. The suspense was building up as I got out my laptop and opened my email, I was shaking. My boyfriend was next to me, and we opened it and saw "Congratulations" and I screamed at the top of my lungs. And we both jumped up and down, and I had the stupidest smile on my face all day. That was yesterday- my cheeks and throat still hurt! :)

and of course, called my dad first. Posted a fb status, I'm going to be a physician wooo!!!! Then bf took me to Texas road house!

When I got the accpetance email from one of my top choices, at which I was positive about getting waitlisted, I was super surprised since I didn't expect an email from them so soon after my interview. And then I read the "ACCEPTED!" and freaked out, screaming "OH MY GOD OH MY GOD" (this all happened while I was at work by the way...lol). I had to make sure to actually re-read the email a couple more times to make sure that I was actually accepted because I honestly didn't believe I would get accepted here.

Then I immediately ran to my PI and project mamager's office to tell them the news and I apparently looked like I was having a panic attack because they seemed so concerned at first when they saw me hahaha. I couldn't even stand on my feet for 5 minutes because of how shocked I was but man oh man was this experience one of the best. :)

I was jumping up and down running around my house. No one was home so I started calling my roommates to tell them to hurry back and bring wine. Finally got a hold of one of them. She had just totaled her car and needed me to come wait for the police with her. We eventually got it all straightened out, but it was a bit of a damper.

Honestly, it didn't really sink in until about a week later when I sat down to write a really annoying ten page paper that would've taken my grade in a course from an A- to an A. Got about twenty minutes into it, got a call from
a friend asking if I wanted to go out of town for the weekend last minute, thought about it for a second, literally screamed "I'm going to be a doctor and I don't even need to write this f*%*%ing paper!!!" and started throwing some clothes in a backpack.

Reactions: 9 users
ME TOO!!! and my mom cried even harder!!!
I’ve pictured my reaction when finding out about my first med school acceptance so many times: either screaming super loud and telling everyone about it, or kind of just keeping it to myself while being secretly happy. But for some reason, when I found out today, all I could do was cry. Crying because I guess the past three years haven’t been easy. Crying because I can finally take a breath and relax. Crying because even though I’m not the smartest or the most talented or the most hardworking, someone thinks I’m good enough to become a doctor.

Reactions: 3 users
I was leaving work in a terrible mood because I had to stay late doing meaningless scut work. I felt my phone vibrating, and my first thought was, "Oh great, here is my annoying co-worker calling me to nag me about some non-sensical work-related issue that I could care less about and then...BOOM. I saw the very city I interviewed in on the caller ID. My heart started pounding and I answered. The guy on the other end then proceeded to tell me that they were offering me an acceptance, and then he paused (I'm sure waiting to here what I would say), and I started babbling like an idiot about how grateful I was, loss for words, blah blah blah. When I finally regained my composure, I said, "So my answer is YES!!" (probably a little bit too aggressively lol) He just laughed and gave me some more details about my acceptance. Luckily they can't rescind an acceptance for sounding like an idiot, because I'm sure I sounded really stupid! It's funny how I can do great in a high pressure medical school interview, but when I finally get the acceptance call, I can barely string a sentence together!!

I was jumping up and down running around my house. No one was home so I started calling my roommates to tell them to hurry back and bring wine. Finally got a hold of one of them.

Haha you sound pretty awesome, congrats!

hmm, not the most active SDNer but feeling like it'd be fun to hear more of these stories from this cycle!!
Congrats to everyone accepted and good luck to those waiting to hear back! :)

I got the call on 10/15 and the director started off with a sentence that I won't quote verbatim, but the beginning of the sentence led me to believe that I had been waitlisted. The end of of his sentence was "and we'd like to invite you for the class of 2019." I was stunned and just started sobbing. I couldn't speak and I just cried and said "thank you" about three times. I look back and think that I must have sounded like a blubbering idiot, but I have basically gone through a very difficult time these last 3 years for that phone call. My mom and dad were thrilled and I was still crying when I told them the good news immediately afterwards. Dreams really can and do come true sometimes.

My caller also made me think I was going to be waitlisted! He spoke really monotonously and slowly and I always imagined an acceptance phone call to begin with a congratulations or at least a more cheery tone. While he spoke, I was clenching my fist and my eyes were closed. I was waiting to hear the words 'sorrynotsorry' or 'waitlist' until he finally said, "... and so the committee would like to offer you a seat in the class of 2019." and I (so stupid) blurted out, "WAIT. ARE YOU SERIOUS?" And he was like, "Yes.... why wouldn't I be?" and cue a billion thank you's from me. :laugh:

My mom was showering after I got off the phone so I shouted through the bathroom door that I got into med school. She flung open the door completely soapy and naked, screamed, and gave me a huge hug while I tried to push her away screaming for her to put some clothes on.

Reactions: 16 users
Earlier in the day I was in the airport coming back from an interview and I received an email notification... It was a school rejecting me post-secondary. I call my mom and tell her, I'm in tears. With two wait lists already I felt like I couldn't catch a break. I told her I felt like I would be one of those people with a decent amount of interviews just to be wait listed everywhere. My mom tells me to "hang in there and your good news will come soon sweetie."

I get back to my apartment 2 hours later and I call my parents to let them know I made it safely, and my dad asks if I have heard anything from schools today. I tell him about the post-secondary rejection, and he says

Dad: well you know how it is, when one door closes another always opens" :banana:
Me: Yeah I guess:eyebrow: then really quickly he says
Dad: By the way you got accepted...:claps:
Me: Wait... :bullcrap:WHAT? I'm accepted???:wow:
Dad: Yes:D
Me: Accepted???:poke: As in I'm going to medical school?:bang: (I could not even at this point)
Dad: Congratulations!:clap:
Me: :soexcited:

I proceeded to yell for the next 10 minutes, I didn't even cry since I was so excited! The letter was sent directly to my permanent home. No call, no email notification, so my parents found out before I did. Trust me it isn't any less exciting! I proceeded to text everyone all caps messages telling them that I was accepted. Two months later, it still feels like just yesterday, it has hit me even more in the second month compared to the first month. I'm still celebrating to be honest:laugh: I never imagined such a happy ending:love:

Reactions: 6 users
So it was the day after Thanksgiving, I was coming home from the gym and it was like 10 PM. I'm not really expecting anything especially nov. 25th, and I try to spend most days not thinking about school (after last cycle I don't check portals regularly or worry about decisions but I had a feeling it had been about time to hear something from this school since I interviewed end of Sept). My family is just kind of waiting there for me saying there's a letter from the school. I was pretty nervous since my only other interview up until that point was an absolute trainwreck (in my opinion at least).

I read congratulations we're pleased to have you in the Drexel College of Medicine Class of ___. I pretty much stopped reading there and didn't look at any of the other forms. I told my parents I got in but it was not casual; it was with a lot of passion and relief like you could feel all the stress leaving my body and filling up with hope and excitement. My dad cried, don't think I've ever seen him cry. I walked around the house just my mind racing, so happy that this part of the future had been settle after years of uncertainty (I graduated in 2012). I called several of my friends, people I knew cared about hearing I got in. I called one of the docs at work who I became close friends with. I texted a bunch of my friends who went home for breaks out of town. They called me drunk from a party so excited yelling "we made it!" "we made it!"

Most of all, even to this day, I just feel validated in the decisions I made that got me to this point. Almost every day since I got in, I have a moment each day where I'm like 'wow I got in and I'll be starting in August'. Last cycle, I was waitlisted at 4 schools and didn't even receive an II from this school. I've been an ER scribe over 3 years and when you've been around so long, literally every day someone would ask me whether it's a physician or one of the nurses about what I was doing next or if I heard back from anywhere. I'm just glad I can give them news, and so they dont feel awkward about asking. Most of all I spent the months before getting in stressing since I got promoted to head scribe and I was so worried about med schools and still had to finish several apps I had left hanging because work had been so crazy.

And now, work is fun. life is great. I walk around with this stupid smile at work all the time knowing all this is transient and to enjoy every moment of it before I go. I don't know guys, it's hard for me to articulate this feeling but hopefully you get the aesthetic I tried to share about that moment. A lot of my thoughts now are going to my scribes applying and also all the SDNers still waiting for this moment because if you've waited for it, the moment really is all you imagine it to be. Even if its a dark late night the day after Thanksgiving where you're trying to work off all the bull**** you ate the day before

Oh and in the weeks after I literally reread the letter 10 times to make sure I was definitely in. And then when my deposit went in, I checked multiple times to make sure my status was changed. The paranoia can get very real

Last edited:
So my story isn't as funny or exciting or heartwrenching as the others have been, but Instill got in lol.

Woke up at like 10:30am and checked the email on my phone per usual. Saw an EVMS email that began with "It is my pleasure to notify you..." I was like, "No f***ing way!" I sat up in bed immediately and read the entire thing twice. I felt that wonderful initial rush of euphoria pouring in and spreading thru my veins. Then I slapped myself to make sure I wasn't just dreaming about waking up to an acceptance. Sure enough, it was real. I called my parents, who were more excited and happy than I was lol. I texted my closest friends and posted an official fb status (that eventually got 125 likes lololol) and the rest is history. Oh, and all the physicians at work congratulated me too.

Best quotes:
Me: I can finally drop the "pre-" in pre-med lololol
Doctor: Ace, you're no longer Dr. Wanna Be. You're now Dr. Gonna Be.

the school i was accepted to release acceptances dec 15, yet i received a phone call 2wks early so I definitely wasnt expecting it. I put that school on the back burner, since I still had about 2 weeks until I was supposed to keep a look out for a call.

I was sitting at work, on SDN and I received a phone call from an unfamiliar local number. I dont pick up unfamiliar numbers.. if its serious or important, theyll leave a voicemail...
Seconds later, I received the voicemail alert.
I went to the bathroom at my job to listen to who it could possibly be

Dean: "Good morning 'blah', it is Dr. 'blah blah'..
**I had been applying for a new job in doctor's offices in the area, so I assumed it was a position I recently applied for due to the local area code.**
Then she continued..
Dean: '......from blah blah MEDICAL SCHOOL.'
** I was like 'OMG this can nottttt be the call ive been waiting for my whole life! no it cant be !' (once again, i was not expecting a call for another 2wks'**
THEN she went on to say..
Dean: ''...I'm SORRY.....'
**I was like noooooooo my life is over!!! :arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh:**
but then it continued:
Dean: 'I'm Sorry, that I couldnt reach you to tell you the good news in person, but youve been accepted to the entering class of 2015!'

I instantly dropped to the bathroom floor and started to silently cry. (im actually tearing up reliving the moment right now):X3: I just kept mumbling to myself 'is this real? no, it cant be' I had to replay to voicemail 3 times before calling my friends and family. I always imagined my initial reaction to be jumping in joy and screaming at the top of my lungs. but it was the complete opposite, it was so personal and emotional and all i could think was 'i did it...'
This was one of my top schools tied for 1st..

I called my mom and she started screaming and going crazy, its her top choice school for me. my mom was in tears and she just started talking to herself, saying things like Who would have thought that she would be able to birth and raise a medical doctor? someone like her who doesnt have passed a high school education? Someone who came to this country by herself with no parents in her early 20s without a dime to her name... That moment, she felt like she had achieved her American Dream which was to give her children the best opportunities to reach whichever goals we set.

My mom and I just sat on the phone and cried together...

Reactions: 21 users
My mom was showering after I got off the phone so I shouted through the bathroom door that I got into med school. She flung open the door completely soapy and naked, screamed, and gave me a huge hug while I tried to push her away screaming for her to put some clothes on.

I just laughed so hard that my partner finally stirred in his sleep... while sleeping off propofol from an endoscopy. 10/10 reaction story, would read again.

Reactions: 6 users
I had called the school earlier in the day wondering if there was any news, and they said it would be unlikely today. I went to lunch, and upon my return, my phone had two missed calls and an email (I make it a point to always be "present" at appointments/meetings, so I silence my phone and never look at it). I was happy, but disillusioned... and, frankly, it wasn't my first rodeo. As a reapplicant, I didn't have much of a reaction other than, "FINALLY."

Still feels strange that I didn't have a more profound reaction like everyone else, but I'm not going to beat myself up for reacting more appropriately.

Still feels strange that I didn't have a more profound reaction like everyone else, but I'm not going to beat myself up for reacting more appropriately.
Why would you beat yourself up? That moment's all about you. No need to have a reaction that isn't your very own. :)

SMOKE WEED EVERYDAY!!!

Me:

Smoke+weed+everyday_fe3185_4276519.jpg

It's a roach holding a roach

EDIT: Whoops, didn't realize this was for people who got in, not how you would react if you got in

SMOKE WEED EVERYDAY!!!

Me:

Smoke+weed+everyday_fe3185_4276519.jpg

It's a roach holding a roach

EDIT: Whoops, didn't realize this was for people who got in, not how you would react if you got in
LOL you do realize med schools drug test you too, right? That's what I heard from my M1 friend anyway.

I never posted here but this is one of my all time favourite SDN threads!!!

My first acceptance was fairly anti-climactic. It was 6am PST on October 15th, and I was so nervous about pending decisions that I couldn't sleep and was sitting on my couch trying not to panic. All of a sudden I got an email that said I was accepted, and I gasped and shrieked and called my parents and didn't stop smiling or feeling elated for the rest of the day.

My latest acceptance was to one of my top choice schools. They send out snail mail but update the portal to say that a letter was sent, and they only send acceptances early on so pretty much if your status changes, you know what the outcome is. I started screaming and my mom ran in and started jumping up and down. I called the school to make sure that it meant what I thought it meant, and when she told me it was a "positive letter", I started sobbing and thanking her over and over. I don't remember the rest of what she said, so hopefully she wasn't asking me any important questions... But then I hung up, hugged both my parents, and just started sobbing. I texted all of my friends, and my parents texted all of their friends and family because they were so happy for me. I still don't have the letter, but I bet I'm going to burst into tears again when it arrives. Hopefully it actually is an acceptance, because it'd be really awkward if I misinterpreted the status change/phone conversation hahaha

I tapped the fellow sitting next to me and said, "look at my screen". She saw that I got in, we exchanged high fives, and then both went back to work.

Reactions: 5 users
My dad has >8 kids and is a doctor himself. He never really pushed me to be a doctor but he has always wanted atleast one more doctor in the family. Almost all of the older kids are far older than I am and have been settled into careers for decades.

I called him and he cried on the phone, it was only the second time I've ever known him to cry. It was a very emotional day, considering most people wonder if I even have emotions, haha.
4 years ago, about to graduate in a couple months. still feel the same way

Reactions: 13 users
I never posted here but this is one of my all time favourite SDN threads!!!

My first acceptance was fairly anti-climactic. It was 6am PST on October 15th, and I was so nervous about pending decisions that I couldn't sleep and was sitting on my couch trying not to panic. All of a sudden I got an email that said I was accepted, and I gasped and shrieked and called my parents and didn't stop smiling or feeling elated for the rest of the day.

My latest acceptance was to one of my top choice schools. They send out snail mail but update the portal to say that a letter was sent, and they only send acceptances early on so pretty much if your status changes, you know what the outcome is. I started screaming and my mom ran in and started jumping up and down. I called the school to make sure that it meant what I thought it meant, and when she told me it was a "positive letter", I started sobbing and thanking her over and over. I don't remember the rest of what she said, so hopefully she wasn't asking me any important questions... But then I hung up, hugged both my parents, and just started sobbing. I texted all of my friends, and my parents texted all of their friends and family because they were so happy for me. I still don't have the letter, but I bet I'm going to burst into tears again when it arrives. Hopefully it actually is an acceptance, because it'd be really awkward if I misinterpreted the status change/phone conversation hahaha

I tapped the fellow sitting next to me and said, "look at my screen". She saw that I got in, we exchanged high fives, and then both went back to work.
The stark contrast between these 2 stories is hilarious.

Reactions: 9 users