when you found out you got in, how did you react ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
We can have a campfire where we burn textbooks from general chemistry and calculus and share stories from this thread! Haha
lol, I love my books, but we can definitely meet up on the trip. I already have one friend in on it and gas is a ton cheaper as a group. I am sure we both have lots of stories though my best ones are from my 3-4 years working as a security guard. I saw some crazy stuff.

Members don't see this ad.

lol, I love my books, but we can definitely meet up on the trip. I already have one friend in on it and gas is a ton cheaper as a group. I am sure we both have lots of stories though my best ones are from my 3-4 years working as a security guard. I saw some crazy stuff.

Well, there are a number of my books that I hate - so that can be our fire kindling lol.
How long were you thinking about road-tripping for? 2-3 weeks? a Month?
You should ask me about the story of "the flammable mouse"...haha! Horrifying times, working in my old lab.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had just woken up on a Friday, and I was sitting in my bed, watching TV. My grandmother calls me and I remember telling her that I was still so nervous because I hadn't heard back from the school and whatnot. She's calming me down, of course, and as she's doing so I get an e-mail that is titled "Medical College of Georgia Status Letter." Naturally, I'm horrified and the only thing going through my mind was "Oh ****..." So I open it and it doesn't say "Congratulations!" at the top. My heart is pounding, and then I see "it is my pleasure to offer you a position" and I immediately scream at the top of my lungs "I GOT IN! I GOT IN!" My grandmother hears this, says "Wait, what!? Oh my god..." and immediately starts bawling crying. I hop out of my bed and start running around the house screaming "I got in!" for a solid minute.

A few weeks later, I'm chilling at home and I get a phone call from an Augusta phone number. "Oh god, what is this?" So I answer it. It's the director of the MD/PhD program calling me to personally welcome me to this year's incoming class, and that if I was still interested in a spot in the MD/PhD program, that it was mine for the taking. He told me that they had just gotten back from winter break, and that one of the first things that they wanted to do when they got back into the office was to tell me that I got in. I almost cried. I hung up the phone and proceeded to freak. out. Can't even describe it.

Reactions: 10 users
I had just woken up on a Friday, and I was sitting in my bed, watching TV. My grandmother calls me and I remember telling her that I was still so nervous because I hadn't heard back from the school and whatnot. She's calming me down, of course, and as she's doing so I get an e-mail that is titled "Medical College of Georgia Status Letter." Naturally, I'm horrified and the only thing going through my mind was "Oh ****..." So I open it and it doesn't say "Congratulations!" at the top. My heart is pounding, and then I see "it is my pleasure to offer you a position" and I immediately scream at the top of my lungs "I GOT IN! I GOT IN!" My grandmother hears this, says "Wait, what!? Oh my god..." and immediately starts bawling crying. I hop out of my bed and start running around the house screaming "I got in!" for a solid minute.

A few weeks later, I'm chilling at home and I get a phone call from an Augusta phone number. "Oh god, what is this?" So I answer it. It's the director of the MD/PhD program calling me to personally welcome me to this year's incoming class, and that if I was still interested in a spot in the MD/PhD program, that it was mine for the taking. He told me that they had just gotten back from winter break, and that one of the first things that they wanted to do when they got back into the office was to tell me that I got in. I almost cried. I hung up the phone and proceeded to freak. out. Can't even describe it.
Then you had some lobster mac and cheese right?!?

Reactions: 1 user
It is still too surreal for me. When I saw my status change to accepted, I just stared at it for awhile and then went and told my mom and grandmother, and then I began telling everyone I knew who would care (which is a lot more people than I realized at first). I am in a kind of satisfied haze knowing my life goals can now be realized.

It really is surreal though. I went from an alcoholic college dropout that failed every class in his one semester of college and had earned himself a DUI back in 2005 to the person I am today nearly 10 years later.

I plan to get a part time job this semester and save up money for a road trip all over the country this summer. I promised myself a free range adventure if I got in. there are some things I will definitely see like the grand canyon, mt. Rushmore, Yellowstone, the pacific ocean, and anything else I think of. I will probably sleep outdoors in a tent a lot of the time, and I plan to hike the Rockies and find a nice isolated area where I can watch the stars free from the interference of the lights from cities. That will probably be my biggest celebration from all of this.

Can I PM you?

Have you....seen my username?
That's how.
I actually laugh and get incredibly hungry every time haha. You gotta stay away or I'm gonna start eating every time I see you post... it can't end well.

I actually laugh and get incredibly hungry every time haha. You gotta stay away or I'm gonna start eating every time I see you post... it can't end well.

Ironically, the same happens to me when I see that avatar....kitten kebabs....yum

Ironically, the same happens to me when I see that avatar....kitten kebabs....yum
2014-01-17-11-41-35.png

Reactions: 6 users
I was just so shocked at first, I wasn't expecting it on that day... then I listened to epic music, called my parents, and cried.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was just so shocked at first, I wasn't expecting it on that day... then I listened to epic music, called my parents, and cried.

Yeah, epic music was the way to go for like a month. Honestly, I'll be driving down the freeway and start thinking about medical school and I'll just floor it and turn the music up. No tickets....yet :)

LMAO that's awesome.
Problem - I am bacon and shrimp. So how likely am I to survive here...
You might be the most irresistible bacon shrimp on SDN right now... And that's saying something.

I was driving down I-95 when I got the call. My gut reaction was to just start yelling I GOT IN!! But I forgot to hit end call so the dean definitely heard. Then, I pulled over on the right shoulder of the road and me and my buddy just jumped out of the car - unfortunately I forgot to look for traffic and my door almost got obliterated by a Mac truck. Highway dancing ensued.

Reactions: 8 users
I was driving down I-95 when I got the call. My gut reaction was to just start yelling I GOT IN!! But I forgot to hit end call so the dean definitely heard. Then, I pulled over on the right shoulder of the road and me and my buddy just jumped out of the car - unfortunately I forgot to look for traffic and my door almost got obliterated by a Mac truck. Highway dancing ensued.

That's awesome.

For one of the schools I applied to, the dean called me personally - and they said

"Hello baconshrimps, this is Dean Lady From Name University College of Medicine" and at first I was like "haha, okay, who is this really"

They didn't have a sense of humor, but proceeded to tell me I was accepted.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Everyone loves me!
Is it stressful, almost getting eaten all the time?
You da man, C Dang!! I would expect nothing less from you.

My legs began to shake/feel wobbly and my heart began to race (got the phone call), so I had to sit down.

I was walking up my apartment stairs and my gf was sitting on the couch and I screamed "hell yeah!" And did the Aaron Rodgers belt thing like 10 times and then said f homework and went out to eat with my gf :) called everyone I ever knew too

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile

I was walking up my apartment stairs and my gf was sitting on the couch and I screamed "hell yeah!" And did the Aaron Rodgers belt thing like 10 times and then said f homework and went out to eat with my gf :) called everyone I ever knew too

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile

But Aaron Rodgers sucks.
Shoulda tebowed or tiger woods'ed lol

Woke up this morning with the realization I be a doktur and I was all like
ffffdfd.gif

Reactions: 1 users
Woke up this morning with the realization I be a doktur and I was all like
ffffdfd.gif

Often times, "Party Rock" and "Don't Stop the Party" and "This is How We Do It" play on loop in my head when I think about being a physician :)

I didn’t get very much sleep the night before October 15th. All I could think about was that my fate would be decided within the next 12 hours. I just tossed and turned while compulsively checking my email on my phone all night (like any admissions office is open at 3 am). I finally dozed off sometime that morning, only to be woken up soon thereafter by the alarm. I picked up my phone to turn it off when I saw that an unknown number was calling me.

At this point I had interviewed at three schools. The two that I had a shot at notify their applicants of decisions via email. My interview at the school who’s dean called accepted students had gone so horribly that I literally ran to the nearest bathroom and bawled my eyes out immediately following my faculty interview (and then frantically tried to fix my make up to hide the evidence before rejoining the other interviewees for the remainder of the day). Needless to say, I wasn’t expecting a phone call from said school. When I sleepily answered the phone for the unknown caller, my mind didn’t comprehend what was happening until the dean told me for a second time that I had been accepted to my dream school. I then started crying again (tears of joy this time), and began rambling about how grateful I was.

I went into work and told everyone there. My boss bought flowers and balloons and decorated my office. Later my husband and drank too much wine in celebration and ended up doing something like a wild and triumphant tribal dance on our back deck. At the same time we had a ceremonial burning of my MCAT prep work and AMCAS application during which we nearly caught the house on fire. I just didn’t care, though, because I am going to be a doctor!

Reactions: 12 users
I didn’t get very much sleep the night before October 15th. All I could think about was that my fate would be decided within the next 12 hours. I just tossed and turned while compulsively checking my email on my phone all night (like any admissions office is open at 3 am). I finally dozed off sometime that morning, only to be woken up soon thereafter by the alarm. I picked up my phone to turn it off when I saw that an unknown number was calling me.

At this point I had interviewed at three schools. The two that I had a shot at notify their applicants of decisions via email. My interview at the school who’s dean called accepted students had gone so horribly that I literally ran to the nearest bathroom and bawled my eyes out immediately following my faculty interview (and then frantically tried to fix my make up to hide the evidence before rejoining the other interviewees for the remainder of the day). Needless to say, I wasn’t expecting a phone call from said school. When I sleepily answered the phone for the unknown caller, my mind didn’t comprehend what was happening until the dean told me for a second time that I had been accepted to my dream school. I then started crying again (tears of joy this time), and began rambling about how grateful I was.

I went into work and told everyone there. My boss bought flowers and balloons and decorated my office. Later my husband and drank too much wine in celebration and ended up doing something like a wild and triumphant tribal dance on our back deck. At the same time we had a ceremonial burning of my MCAT prep work and AMCAS application during which we nearly caught the house on fire. I just didn’t care, though, because I am going to be a doctor!
This is awesome! Congratulations!

I tried to be like

3t643vZ.gif

But really I just looked like

o58OwPL.gif

Reactions: 5 users
Thick envelopes are almost always for acceptances. But, a few schools do send acceptances in thin envelopes, UConn for example. You can do a search if you want to know about the other schools that do.

I was thinking, wouldn't it be awful if someone threw away the thin acceptance envelope because they assumed it was a rejection??:eek: :eek::eek::eek: LOL Always, make sure folks!