Which Texas School to Choose? (UTHSCSA/LUBBOCK/A&M/UTMB)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which School

• Total voters

wanted101

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Having real trouble deciding between the above schools. I learn better on my own vs lecture or groups if that makes a difference, based on the schools' curriculums. Any feedback at all would be GREATLY appreciated!!! Thank you so much!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Having real trouble deciding between the above schools. I learn better on my own vs lecture or groups if that makes a difference, based on the schools' curriculums. Any feedback at all would be GREATLY appreciated!!! Thank you so much!!!

I'm an MSI at UTHSCSA, so I don't know as much about the other schools. Just got through with my first semester and was extremely happy with my choice to go to school there. As far as self learning, they make it extremely easy. Most of the lectures are not mandatory, but they do require around 10 or so specific lectures. Everything is recorded so you can watch them at any time and anywhere. If you have anymore specific questions about UTHSCSA, let me know!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm an incoming M1 and out of those four schools (I interviewed at all of them), UTHSCSA is my top choice. However, it really is a matter of personal preference. I prefer living in larger cities where the class does not get split up.

I haven't really factored curriculum into my decision. I've seen so many of those curriculum presentations on interview days that they kind of run together. The way I see it, I'll learn it one way or another. It seems to me that at most schools in TX, attending most lectures is optional. I think some form of group learning is mandatory at every school too.

I am a current M2 at TAMHSC (A&M) and the curriculum is perfect for those who prefer studying away from class. Our only mandatory classes are those that involve patient encounters, ethics, clinical skills, etc which is 2 times per week at a maximum (if that). We also have 5 different clinical campuses you can choose from which is a pretty unique opportunity to try out different hospital systems (rural vs intercity vs suburbian vs private etc). If you have any A&M specific questions, feel free to PM!