Who Else Feels Crappy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Torn MCL. No surgery, but braced for 3 weeks. Sore...

Get well soon--catch a few chelsea matches. Some crackers on for the next week, should be delicious.

Members don't see this ad.

Started my OB/Gyn rotation last week. If there is an area of medicine I am least suited to, it has to be OB/Gyn. Of course, I have to make the best of it but I am totally out of my element and just want to be back working with patients who aren't on an OR table or in active labor. If someone told me that all residency programs in the US were closed, permanently, except for the OB/Gyn ones, I'd drop out of med school now and move to Mexico.

I just found out I failed three out of five classes and this was the second to last semester before graduation.

Members don't see this ad :)
Started my OB/Gyn rotation last week. If there is an area of medicine I am least suited to, it has to be OB/Gyn. Of course, I have to make the best of it but I am totally out of my element and just want to be back working with patients who aren't on an OR table or in active labor. If someone told me that all residency programs in the US were closed, permanently, except for the OB/Gyn ones, I'd drop out of med school now and move to Mexico.
Heh, I would have too.

I took OB in June of my third year and often joked that I might have dropped out of med school had I taken it first rather than last. Just focus on learning as much as you can and prep well for the shelf. You'll get through.

Being on the receiving end of the words "diagnostic test "
Yeah - enough said :(

Rant:
Today my suspicions were confirmed - The idea (100% generated by me) for a novel translational research project I have been organizing with a sympathetic PI and classmate for the past six months was disclosed in good-faith to an internal, semi-collaborative basic science research group. This happened about two months ago (without my knowledge). This group coincidentally around that same time came up with the exact same "idea", found internal funding, got IRB approval, and began running existing samples without informing my PI (0r myself) even out of courtesy. I met a week or so ago with the leader and was told to my face by this person that he is the "idea guy", that my idea has been suggested in the literature for a very long time (in general terms - yes), that previous results were negative (in a related but not exactly same disease process), and not much will come out of this work (it is 100% novel - never been reported before). He then had the cojones to suggest that if I want to help with "their" project that I could run gels for them. Furthermore, this would be useful for me to know how to do at "my level of training" and in return they would add me to a paper.

Searching in vain for a more polite way of saying "F-you" to his generous offer. The only silver lining is that this is possibly the highest form of research flattery. :p

Oh well - time for new ideas. Moving on...
/rant

Sheesh, that really sucks. No recourse at all?
Nope. We would have had to work with some of his labs resources regardless if we wanted to pursue the project internally and the PI didn't want to go with outside labs. I'm also one level above "staph infection" in the hierarchy of the hospital (which other nontrads will tell you can be a point of stress in medical school). I'm over it.

The true irony is that he probably thought he could get us (two medical students) to do the grunt work with this approach when in fact we would have done probably MORE work with gusto had he simply acknowledged our role - and he would have still been the last author on the manuscripts! Even if he honestly believes it was his idea (and I wouldn't be surprised if he did- the human mind is crazy like that), why not just "tip your hat" and compliment us on our initiative/excitement/interest? Why try and beat us down? Really - I don't see how this would have hurt anyone. But that still takes some humility which I now gather from talking to others is not his strong point.

Another positive spin is to know that my PI who's in a field I'm interested in matching into knows first-hand it was my idea and that I wanted to pursue it but now have a legitimate reason NOT to now. So it's like I get credit for the idea, leg work, proposal etc. with minimal additional work.

The other recourse I'm on the fence about is to get one figuratively "last punch" in even though I've lost the fight: People who are devious/two-faced tend to be paranoid and consumed by the fear of others treating them as they would treat them. This guy was keen to find out which outside labs we were considering working with and what my other interests were in the broader field he studies which I evaded answering directly. I COULD say something like "I thank you for your time, especially since you mentioned how busy you are. Upon further reflection I agree your generous offer sounds very time consuming so I will have to decline. However, the fact that we could come up with this idea on our own is really encouraging. In fact, it has renewed our efforts to pursue some other projects and ideas we have in [the broader field he personally thinks he is the expert in] which is terribly exciting! All the best! " ... and relish in thinking he might be stewing in his own juices wondering what else we are up to. Of course he most likely doesn't give two ****s what I think and this is probably pointless.

That's the dark side of research I don't like. My first grad program was an entire, albeit very small, dept full of jerks like that. It might look bad on my transcript that I withdrew, but I don't regret leaving for a second. Especially when the dept head was one of the primary players in such wonderful behaviors as stealing expensive primers and blackmailing other PIs to increase his contribution on grant applications above what they thought was fair because he was struggling to get his own. It's like night and day with my current program.

When I win the lottery next week, I will gladly fund your ideas :)

Working tonight until midnight and then have to be back at 9am tomorrow for another five day stretch. Joy. But on the bright side, I got out of reviewing charts today, which is awesome because it gives me the time I need to do my laundry and clean my apartment before I go to work today. Sigh.

Working tonight until midnight and then have to be back at 9am tomorrow for another five day stretch. Joy. But on the bright side, I got out of reviewing charts today, which is awesome because it gives me the time I need to do my laundry and clean my apartment before I go to work today. Sigh.

You can throw some of my laundry in too while you're at it :p

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You can throw some of my laundry in too while you're at it :p
Dude. You're a premed. You don't get to scut people up the hierarchy! I'm going to send you *my* laundry. And please take my suit to the dry cleaners for me too. I'm (slightly) embarrassed to admit that it's been sitting in a bag by the door for the past month where I walk past it at least twice a day thinking, wow, I really should take it to the dry cleaners at some point....

Dude. You're a premed. You don't get to scut people up the hierarchy! I'm going to send you *my* laundry. And please take my suit to the dry cleaners for me too. I'm (slightly) embarrassed to admit that it's been sitting in a bag by the door for the past month where I walk past it at least twice a day thinking, wow, I really should take it to the dry cleaners at some point....
Whoa whoa who's going to do my dirty laundry? You can't take the premeds...what's that leave me? Teenagers?! I've already got one of them...they don't do their own laundry either!

Whoa whoa who's going to do my dirty laundry? You can't take the premeds...what's that leave me? Teenagers?! I've already got one of them...they don't do their own laundry either!
You're a fourth year med student. You have plenty of time to do your own laundry. :smuggrin:

It usually doesn't bother me but I'm studying for the MCAT and the whole fam is out having fun on New Year's Day. I think I had a life once and it was nice. Can't remember for sure though. I'd better get used to this, right?

I may be bummed, but it's still worth it :) Hello, verbal workbook...

Yup, totally posting about the weather again. The forecasted high day after tomorrow is. -18F. Minus 18, with the windchill predicted to be around 40-60 below zero. It's been 30 below windchill. I'm sooo moving south, lol.

Yup, totally posting about the weather again. The forecasted high day after tomorrow is. -18F. Minus 18, with the windchill predicted to be around 40-60 below zero. It's been 30 below windchill. I'm sooo moving south, lol.
Weeelll... Cleveland is (relatively) warm. Is that South?

The flu and pneumonia is going around like crazy here in Alabama. Working in the ER has set me up to to catch one of the two but fortunately it's neither. I am calling in tomorrow due to being sick with constant fatigue for 2 weeks now-never feel this bad this long with lightheadedness at times over the past week. Walkin clinic gave me rocephin and steroid shots along with scripts that didn't do a damn thng (sunday). today my employee health physician switched me over to another decadron and antibiotic thinking i do have a little head congestion and fluid in my ears. Rapid fluid negative and no pneumonia. She did a cbc diff and EBV titer today. This just sucks because I'm starting my mcat prep but too exhausted to study and focus. classes start Monday as well. Ugh. :scared:

The flu and pneumonia is going around like crazy here in Alabama. Working in the ER has set me up to to catch one of the two but fortunately it's neither. I am calling in tomorrow due to being sick with constant fatigue for 2 weeks now-never feel this bad this long with lightheadedness at times over the past week. Walkin clinic gave me rocephin and steroid shots along with scripts that didn't do a damn thng (sunday). today my employee health physician switched me over to another decadron and antibiotic thinking i do have a little head congestion and fluid in my ears. Rapid fluid negative and no pneumonia. She did a cbc diff and EBV titer today. This just sucks because I'm starting my mcat prep but too exhausted to study and focus. classes start Monday as well. Ugh. :scared:

(no idea what was happening w/ Safari but I couldn't write a reply)

So do they just hand out abx where you are? It's just a commentary since it's well known that most URI's are caused by viruses. Which is why abx are reserved for likely bacterial causes. Just confusing to me.

I hope you feel better!!! Good luck!

Last edited:
I feel crappy, the second most I've laughed all semester is at two "friends" on the Internet I've never actually met before....

You guys are great, but I think I need to get a social life
Call me old-fashioned but I love cold days like this. Heck - what better excuse - they are meant for making "non-internet friends" to help you stay warm!

I love the bitter cold. I've been ecstatic all week bundling up with my dogs & walking along the beach watching the waves.

This is the only time of year there aren't tons of people crowding my neighborhood. In the Summer, that's when I'll be on here complaining.

(no idea what was happening w/ Safari but I couldn't write a reply)

So do they just hand out abx where you are? It's just a commentary since it's well known that most URI's are caused by viruses. Which is why abx are reserved for likely bacterial causes. Just confusing to me. Thanks for the well wishes!

I hope you feel better!!! Good luck!
Yeah, I'm confused, too. I certainly wasted 200.00 for the first visit and meds. I just better have answers of some sort Monday or I'm telling employee health to go f themselves since they've given poor treatment in the past. Trying to get physically fit for once and this run -a-round isn't helping.

Last edited:
I love the bitter cold. I've been ecstatic all week bundling up with my dogs & walking along the beach watching the waves.

This is the only time of year there aren't tons of people crowding my neighborhood. In the Summer, that's when I'll be on here complaining.

Cold is one thing, but when my eyeballs freeze after like 5 minutes while I'm out with the mutts I'm not a fan.

Cold is one thing, but when my eyeballs freeze after like 5 minutes while I'm out with the mutts I'm not a fan.
Frozen EYEballs? That's a new one. Sounds horrible where you are. Again...I reiterate - eyeballs are meant for seeing how cold it is outside from the perch of a large warm bed...EDIT: by myself. Sharing a bed sucks. Even with my dog. She smells. :hungover:

Last edited:

Haha, I've got full cold weather gear on, including boots & goggles for both me & the dogs! The windchill is supposed to get down to -50 by Monday here in Chicago. The pups & I are looking forward to having the dog beach to ourselves. Getting outdoors is about all I can do to keep me distracted.

Since this is the Feeling Crappy thread though, I guess I'll add what's getting me down, which is probably a total TMI. Husband & I are trying to conceive & we're in that awful waiting period where it's too early to test & where I can't tell if what I'm experiencing is PMS or signs of early pregnancy. We'd like to be able to have a baby at least 2 - 3 years before I start medical school & the longer it takes me to get pregnant, the smaller that gap becomes. Meanwhile, a lot of girls I knew from HS are popping out a 2nd or 3rd baby from their 2nd or 3rd boyfriend.

Last edited:
I've always wanted to dogsled. Sigh...bucketlist
I have....sort of. When I was a young child, we had a great Dane. My dad had her hitched up to our sled, and she was pulling it across the frozen lake. He was on ice skates and I was riding in the sled. She spotted another dog across the lake and took off. He skated after us, but suffice it to say that I got my first and only dog sled ride at high speed. I don't really remember it, but he said I loved it.

No idea what my dad was thinking when he decided it would be a good idea to put his toddler in the sled and let the dog pull it. I'm obviously the oldest child; I can darn well guarantee you that my sister never got a dog sled ride. :laugh:

I have....sort of. When I was a young child, we had a great Dane. My dad had her hitched up to our sled, and she was pulling it across the frozen lake. He was on ice skates and I was riding in the sled. She spotted another dog across the lake and took off. He skated after us, but suffice it to say that I got my first and only dog sled ride at high speed. I don't really remember it, but he said I loved it.

No idea what my dad was thinking when he decided it would be a good idea to put his toddler in the sled and let the dog pull it. I'm obviously the oldest child; I can darn well guarantee you that my sister never got a dog sled ride. :laugh:
I'm jelly. Now I want a Great Dane too. My walnut-sized-brain dog is driving me crazy. Thought I lost her in the woods near my parents around Christmas. (My parents live on a large wooded piece of property with) Gave a half-hearted "I've got foood-oh well kids I think she's gone..." didn't even finish the sentence before she ran straight in the front door like she was trained. Oh well.

I'm jelly. Now I want a Great Dane too. My walnut-sized-brain dog is driving me crazy. Thought I lost her in the woods near my parents around Christmas. (My parents live on a large wooded piece of property with) Gave a half-hearted "I've got foood-oh well kids I think she's gone..." didn't even finish the sentence before she ran straight in the front door like she was trained. Oh well.

I got a sled ride on my behind with the two mutts dragging me across the snow at a rest stop on my way home to see my family. I hope there weren't any kids nearby, cuz my response was NOT PG. That was a fun 13 hr car ride in pain with cold, wet jeans.

I got a sled ride on my behind with the two mutts dragging me across the snow at a rest stop on my way home to see my family. I hope there weren't any kids nearby, cuz my response was NOT PG. That was a fun 13 hr car ride in pain with cold, wet jeans.
Thirteen hours?! No time to change clothes? Ugh

Thirteen hours?! No time to change clothes? Ugh

Time, yes. Access to suitcase? Quite difficult. I just wanted to get there as soon as possible.

Plus I figured I had at least two more stops with the terrors.

I'm enjoying hanging with the fam. though.

Last edited:
Saw the obituary today for the 11 week old DOA I responded to on Monday. Making it worse is the fact it was a family member of my Operations Manager. My partner and I are probably going to court because the local PD absolutely overkilled everything and acted totally unprofessionally, turning a simple case into an absolute cluster.

Went to see adviser. Got told if I filled one thing out I could enroll in classes. Turns out they were looking at the wrong students info so actually I still had holds on my account so I couldn't register. The holds? Orientation hold. Ok well I'm doing that in a few days so I can I get the hold lifted? No response. Drive 45min to the school for orientation, get told I can't attend this orientation it's for foreign grads only. Um okay I signed up and it said I had to come to this one. Go to the orientation office. "Well we are going through the hold requests so we'll get to yours today and lift the hold so you can sign up". Thanks I paid $45 which I haven't gotten back and drove 1.5 hrs total for nothing. Finally got in the class yesterday. Last night I went to bed with still no charges to my account but thats fine they usually give you a week or two. Wake up today to being dropped from the class. Now I have to wait and see if my adviser will add me back to the class. I'm so fed up with this school

Ate something bad. Spent around 30 intimate hrs w/ my toilet. Put myself on a clear liquid diet to no "drama" yesterday. Upgraded to soft diet for breakfast. Just ate a couple pieces of wheat toast. :crosses fingers:

Illness is the quickest way to appreciate what your body does NORMALLY every day!!

I feel crappy, but I think it's because I gained 20lbs over winter break. Time for a cutting phase!

Scheduled for a biopsy tomorrow morning and feeling like crud and scared

Have to come in four hours early before my regularly scheduled shift to do EMR training for an EMR I'm going to use for exactly two months. Why, oh why, couldn't they have implemented this in July? Things are so inefficient then anyway what with the influx of new interns that no one would have noticed much difference. And I wouldn't have to waste my time learning how to use it for no reason. Sigh.

I'm bored. When I'm bored, I feel crappy. Thus, I feel crappy. I can't wait for classes to begin, for the med student who is now in my shadowing spot to vacate, and for this terrible walking pneumonia like cough to go away...

okay, I feel better now.

1st world problems.

My volunteer gig asks for us to submit 8 days minimum availability every semester. So I get my new job and it's going to interfere with my getting to my volunteer shifts on time. Talk to HR they say "no prob, talk to scheduling and try to schedule as many shifts before you start your new job" then be late for the others. So I talk to scheduling. I ask to be scheduled two wed in Feb and they are all on board with doing that and happy to have me still participating. Then I post 7-8 more Wednesdays availability in April and May. So I just got my schedule and not only did they schedule me for two days I didn't list as available including one where I have class with mandatory attendance at that time, they scheduled me for 5 shifts when everyone else only has 3 or fewer. So I'm expecting to only have 1 day where I have to work my shifts around my new job and now I have 3. :p

And before this they were all, thanks for letting us know so far ahead of time and we'll be happy to work with you....

1st world problems.

And before this they were all, thanks for letting us know so far ahead of time and we'll be happy to work with you....

But we shall do whatever the heck that we want....screw y'all lol jk.

Well they were nice about fixing it at least.

Anyway, I'm sick of this cold. Reg cold is fine, but not this crap. Also we dont usually get this many consecutive days of it without much of a break. They're saying we're on track for the coldest winter in over 30 years. You know it's cold when universities in MN call off school for a day and a half. Not that I'm complaining about that, being sick and all, ugh. I can't breathe through my nose right now and actually got like an ice cream headache inhaling the air walking the 3 minutes to my car this morning :confused:

Well they were nice about fixing it at least.

Anyway, I'm sick of this cold. Reg cold is fine, but not this crap. Also we dont usually get this many consecutive days of it without much of a break. They're saying we're on track for the coldest winter in over 30 years. You know it's cold when universities in MN call off school for a day and a half. Not that I'm complaining about that, being sick and all, ugh. I can't breathe through my nose right now and actually got like an ice cream headache inhaling the air walking the 3 minutes to my car this morning :confused:

Heh, out here in the Sierra's, we're complaining about too much warm and not enough snow... It's like summer time out here, in the midst of three year drought cycle, and just finished the driest year on record (2013). I've been trail running on the trails that are usually buried under feet of snow, enjoying our spring-like weather phenomenon. We'll be hurting in the summer-time though, which will bring water-rationing throughout California and one of the most severe wildfire seasons in history. The smoke will surely be awful.

Heh, out here in the Sierra's, we're complaining about too much warm and not enough snow... It's like summer time out here, in the midst of three year drought cycle, and just finished the driest year on record (2013). I've been trail running on the trails that are usually buried under feet of snow, enjoying our spring-like weather phenomenon. We'll be hurting in the summer-time though, which will bring water-rationing throughout California and one of the most severe wildfire seasons in history. The smoke will surely be awful.

To bad there isn't someway to ship you our snow. There's enough to go around, lol. I'd definitely deal with -50 below windchills than fires.