Who Else Feels Great

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Finished the final unit exam for Pharm today. Last week we finished up Micro/Immuno. We covered all of those two courses in just two months, marking the end of the toughest part of Year II for us. I definitely didn't set the curve for the classes, but I passed despite my worry and stress for the past two months. Feeling good that this part is behind me. A month and a half of Path-Bio and Psych, then the long slog through systems in patho-physiology from the end of November to May, and my pre-clinical years in med school will be over!

Members don't see this ad.

The lil pups's home from the vet and doing well.....maybe a little too well. anyone know how I'm supposed to keep her from running and jumping all over the place?:p

Allergy & Immunology is one of the cushiest electives EVARRR!!!

Not only is the patient load low (10-12/day), but I get Wed's and Fri's off!

Members don't see this ad :)
The lil pups's home from the vet and doing well.....maybe a little too well. anyone know how I'm supposed to keep her from running and jumping all over the place?:p

Yay! So glad to hear it! Unfortunately, I don't have much advice on the running and jumping. But I'm happy that she's feeling well enough to do that :)

I finished the darn SAS assignment!!

:soexcited:

(See I feel crappy thread for details)

Yay you!!!

And yay puppy :) so darn cute!!

As for me I got a very intriguing email from my top residency choice this week - things are getting interesting

It's my birthday so I feel obligated to post in the feeling great thread.

(we'll just ignore the crappy night shift that ended in a planned 3 hour hospital lab information system outage that turned into 5.5 hours and the fact that I have a final tomorrow...)

No night shift tonight for once. My day will otherwise involve good food, lots of sleep :sleep:, cookie dough ice cream :hardy:, and cute puppies :love:

It's my birthday so I feel obligated to post in the feeling great thread.

(we'll just ignore the crappy night shift that ended in a planned 3 hour hospital lab information system outage that turned into 5.5 hours and the fact that I have a final tomorrow...)

No night shift tonight for once. My day will otherwise involve good food, lots of sleep :sleep:, cookie dough ice cream :hardy:, and cute puppies :love:

Happy birthday to you
Happy birthday to you
Happy birthday dear wholeheartedly
Happy birthday to you

THEY HIRED SOMEONE TO REPLACE ME ON NIGHTS!!! :soexcited:

:banana:

The end is near.

(That might be my first ever use of the dancing banana)

I am so jealous. I can't wait to surprise my co-workers with the revelation that I will be going to Medical School. I have told nobody, and as far as anyone knows I am a "motivated company man".

On the inside I despise every second here. If only I didn't have bills to pay, I'd be out of here immediately. Enjoy your free time, I hear Med School does a fantastic job of eating it up :p

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I am so jealous. I can't wait to surprise my co-workers with the revelation that I will be going to Medical School. I have told nobody, and as far as anyone knows I am a "motivated company man".

On the inside I despise every second here. If only I didn't have bills to pay, I'd be out of here immediately. Enjoy your free time, I hear Med School does a fantastic job of eating it up :p

Being on my phone makes it hard to selectively quote so I'll agree with the second part. My boss and several coworkers know, but the people outside my immediate group don't. It'll be pretty sweet when I finally let them know and take off. Every day is a chore, I've got about 33 weeks left...

Thanks, but a few notes. I'm just getting of the night shift. I haven't applied yet so alas I still have all that fun stuff to deal with. I'll just be moving to the evening shift where I'll be able to sleep like a normal person., sometime In like feb maybe after they train the new person in. I'll still be working 40 hrs a week and doing grad school, so no extra free time in the immediate future.

I am VERY thankful that my boss knows about my med school plan and is very supportive despite not wanting to have to replace people. They've been pretty good about school too, though I don't ask for much. It's a good place to be and I feel for those of you who have to hide what you're doing.

40 hours isn't too bad. The schedule here in Chicago with EMTs is waaay worse than that. You're gonna be okay

I spoke to a Med school Director of Admissions today and he let me know that it was crunch time. I've been just doing enough to get by, and living off comfort food. I woke this morning, did some reading and called one of the perspective schools. I realized that it was time to get back in shape, and accelerate my course of study. I've been so scared of getting anything less than an A that is been holding me back, but now I'm just jumping in, going to register more classes, begin my MCAT prep. I just went on a 2-3 mile jog (I'm amazed I did that). My body hurts everywhere and I'm grateful for it. Now its time to go shopping for good foods and start the next phase of EC's and class work. It really is a marathon.

Got out early and did a 4 mile walk/jog. I called my University and now I am waiting to get approval to increase my course load. I don't feel great, but I do feel grateful.

No studying the last two days, dogs spent the day wearing themselves out at doggy daycare, I spent the day sleeping a ton and reading novels. Life is good.

Done with the first half of pathbio and psych, one more exam in each just before Thanksgiving and we start the systems-based pathophysiology courses which run the remainder of second year. Glad to be here, glad to be passing, glad to be able to do things with my family like going apple picking without failing a course as a result of having a life. Very glad to be so much closer to third year than it ever seemed I would be at this time last year.

Reactions: 1 user
Great? Maybe not great, but certainly feeling hopeful. I have a 92% average on my first to Ochem exams, which puts me right at the A/A- interface without any associated curve (hopefully there will be at least a small one). Here is to continuing to bust my ass to do well on the third exam and then the final!

3rd day in a row; jogged 4 miles (exhausted), Dean denied request to increase course load (despite having an excellent GPA) but as one door closes another one opens, which is usually for the better.

I've been incredibly busy at work. My project manager quit after another coworker left a few months ago, so I'm basically doing the workload of 3 people. I'm also taking Chemistry 1 and Physics 1 at night with labs on the weekends.

Anyways, down to get to the reason for this post: I just got my first Chemistry midterm back and I got a 91! (Not perfect, but above the average and median and puts me in a solid position for an A in the class.)

I have a lot of plates spinning right now but they're all balanced and none of them are falling. It feels good.

Reactions: 2 users
I've been incredibly busy at work. My project manager quit after another coworker left a few months ago, so I'm basically doing the workload of 3 people. I'm also taking Chemistry 1 and Physics 1 at night with labs on the weekends.

Anyways, down to get to the reason for this post: I just got my first Chemistry midterm back and I got a 91! (Not perfect, but above the average and median and puts me in a solid position for an A in the class.)

I have a lot of plates spinning right now but they're all balanced and none of them are falling. It feels good.

Pretty close to perfect. Congrats.

Reconnected with my friends (they checked up on me). I let them know whats been happening. They were pretty understanding. A friend I've known for almost 15 years finally got back to me. We had a falling out years ago but we talked, it was great hearing from my old friend. I went to class today on a Saturday, my classmates a super hottie and brainy to kill. The professor tossed some tough questions at me and she had my back each time. I got her number but she's married; still pretty cool meeting a hot brainy girl. Really refreshing. I found a way to get access to my textbook material for the time being until I can buy all of them. I met a cute girl at the post office yesterday, I suggested we go out and she agreed so I'll see what happens with that.

Trying to look into alternative options to get my Pre-reqs completed asap and trying to prepare for the 2014 MCAT as I think I'll stand a better chance. My cars dented but patched up enough to drive, I settled my insurance disputes which plagued me for a month. I assertively dealt with individuals whom have caused me grief in the past and I am still working on dealing with a few more. I had enough gas to get to class and home, I had food to eat, I have a shelter over my head, I'm doing well in school, I have health insurance, a great laptop, a high end smart phone and tablet. I'm reading more and being more assertive. I miss female companionship as I am very busy with school and life but I'm grateful that things are still holding together.

I have some money coming in a few weeks from different places. I"m a former web developer so I am going to go out on a limb and build to website of my dreams finally. I have some other ambitions I am going to get active on. I'm looking for EC opportunities, I think its important that I shadow an oncologist as I have a serious fear of breast cancer even though I am a guy. I wouldn't wish it on the woman I hated the most. I think shadowing will help me to become more comfortable with it and help me to be a better med student and Physician eventually. I've stuck to my diet for almost a week, and I jogged 12 miles over three days. I don't even have a dollar in my wallet and I'm not worried one bit. My new favorite show is weeds which is like a light heartened version of breaking bad (at-least so far in season 2). I've become dependent on Klonopin but it has had great results relieving my anxiety. My life isn't easy but it is a work in progress. Reconnecting with my friends though really made me feel a lot better. It kinda feels like a weight was lifted off my shoulders. Your friends truly are your family.

3 a.m. Monday - Submitted application for promotion position

4 p.m. Monday -Received interview offer for promotion position

9 a.m. Thursday - will Interview with my supervisor, another supervisor, and the medical director

Really excited but just a tad nervous....

3 a.m. Monday - Submitted application for promotion position

4 p.m. Monday -Received interview offer for promotion position

9 a.m. Thursday - will Interview with my supervisor, another supervisor, and the medical director

Really excited but just a tad nervous....

Epic workdays. Respect!

So..... Don't think I blew the interview for that promotion. Should find out in a couple of weeks.

Did get a little peeved though when I woke up from my post-night-shift-sleep late Tuesday afternoon to find that my boss had sent me an email where I was to give a presentation to the interview group including our director. Part that irritates me that our institution is has a cover it's butt policy that as an hourly employee any time spent checking email or responding to emails from home is considered "working" and should be paid and therefore shouldn't do it because it could result in over time. Since I was on my days off and wasn't expected back until my interview, I technically shouldn't have been checking my email and would have had no clue that I was supposed to give a presentation. Would have been very awkward to show up empty handed to the interview and having no clue :rolleyes: Plus I had to spend all evening Tues and all day Wed working on my statistical programming assignment. Didn't get home from the other town til 8 p.m and had go run and buy new suit pants. So that was fun scrambling to get my presentation finished in time.

......................But, I pulled it off just in the nick of time and while I don't know if I'll get the job, I did feel pretty good when I left after feeling pretty frazzled when I walked in.

Got an A on the first exam I took for a Grad class. It was on theoretical science, I just kept praying. I feel grateful to God.

so i may as well share some good news since i have been complaining a lot lately -

i got an interview invite to an allopathic program that has never in their history taken a DO

still not entirely sure how i feel about this but for the moment we will say happy :)

Reactions: 3 users
so i may as well share some good news since i have been complaining a lot lately -

i got an interview invite to an allopathic program that has never in their history taken a DO

still not entirely sure how i feel about this but for the moment we will say happy :)

Yeah, go with happy and run with it :)

In other news, after a craptacular start to my day, I got a phone call at home from my boss to call her back right away. This never happens and based on how the day had been going the first thing out of my mouth when she got on the line was, "hey this is WH, what's wrong?" wondering if I screwed something up. But no...

I GOT THE PROMOTION!!! Wasn't expecting to hear back for a couple of weeks at the earliest. Very happy. Just have to survive three more months of weekend nights til my replacement is trained then its 8-430 on days with no weekends.

Yeah, go with happy and run with it :)

In other news, after a craptacular start to my day, I got a phone call at home from my boss to call her back right away. This never happens and based on how the day had been going the first thing out of my mouth when she got on the line was, "hey this is WH, what's wrong?" wondering if I screwed something up. But no...

I GOT THE PROMOTION!!! Wasn't expecting to hear back for a couple of weeks at the earliest. Very happy. Just have to survive three more months of weekend nights til my replacement is trained then its 8-430 on days with no weekends.

Congrats!

Feeling like crap and not giving a damn. Fighting tooth and nail through growing coursework, an injury and life issues in general. I feel great about that.

Promotion raise plus move to 40 hrs a week from 30 hrs a week equals a $14,200 annual pay increase and a much happier Wholeheartedly :)

Now to tackle some student loan and other debt!

Not sure I feel totally "great," since I also feel pretty darn scared. But for what it's worth, I committed to taking an attending job today.

Q congrats. Medicine needs Doctor's with commonsense and a human side like you. Be brave.

Last edited:
Promotion raise plus move to 40 hrs a week from 30 hrs a week equals a $14,200 annual pay increase and a much happier Wholeheartedly :)

Now to tackle some student loan and other debt!

Yahoo you!!
I think you slid deserve a chocolate or two and maybe a small splurge on something just for you :)

I'm going to be a doctor. I feel pretty great every day. Until I see pediatric trauma. Then it's not such a good day.

I see the light at the end of the interview tunnel - almost at the end !!!

Woohoo! Totally killed my Chem final!
Now I get to (start) catch up on MCAT biology over the winter break!

Reactions: 3 users