Why Pharmacy is a great profession...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
1. You can get a job anywhere in the country.
2. It pays well.
3. It's a doctorate degree.
4. You can work part time.
5. Malpractice insurance is $150 per year.
6. Rare on call.
7. Options are plentiful.
8. You can own your own business and have someone else run it.
9. You can own a chain.
10. There are more female students.. good for the guys. :smuggrin:

You guys add to it.

I ran into this thread while looking for something else. 10 years later, only number 3, 5, 6 and 10 (if you are a guy) are true.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
This thread was hilarious! What a fun time-traveling trip. BM, I think all of the list is true, other than #7 (well #1 for many people, but not for everyone, ask Sparda.) & what makes you think #10 isn't true for girls, ya know, here in 2015, some girls are into that.

Some of these gems I have to respond to, even if they are 10 years old.

Baggywrinkle,
My whole pt is that clinically they really don't have autonomy, pharmacist cannot alter tx, cannot do substitutions from one beta blocker to another.

Um yeah, hospitals pharmacists were routinely doing that in 2005, I was personally doing it from day 1 of my 1st pharmacist job in the early 90's. Ok, yeah the subs had all been approved by the P&T committee, but back in the days before hospitalists, when Dr A admitted a patient and wrote a list of drugs, the pharmacist would go through and change it to whatever was formulary. No call needed.

Illinois, Missouri, and .... (what's the third state?)
Oh god, Plan B as an OTC :scared:

HAHAHAHAHA! I guess the world didn't end with Plan B as OTC. And IL did pass that poorly written law that on the face of it didn't allow pharmacists to refuse to fill a Plan B script if there were valid medical reasons not to.......but enforcement wise, I never heard of any pharmacist who got in trouble for refusing to fill a Plan B script for a valid medical reason, only for religious/ethical reasons.

#11...You get to wear that nifty little white coat. And it stays white.

Obviously from someone who has never worked retail and had to mix an amoxicillin (In spite of following Old Timer's excellent tips on mixing powder antibiotics, my lab coats are hopelessly white with pink dots.)

P.S. After a quick Google search, I found out that the B.S degree in Pharmacy was phased out for the PharmD degree.....I guess this hasnt happened in Canada yet...when did this happen in the US??? If it was recently, perhaps thats why the general public doesnt consider pharmacists doctors??

Actually, its been my experience that elderly people are much more likely to call their pharmacist doc, then younger people.

found out the average salary for a pharmacist including bonuses and overtime was only $78K??? That is pretty low.

Oh yeah, as if! Not in 2005! $78 wasn't even baseline for the vast majority of pharmacists, adding in bonuses & overtime, the skies the limit. (I don't know anything about Canadian economics, so maybe that was true in Canada.)

I just dont see why anyone would want to be a pharmacist when you could become a dentist when both have very similar entry requirements.

Said by someone who loves their dentistry job. I can think of many lower paying jobs I would rather do, then to be working in someone mouth all day. I don't even like brushing my own teeth, why would I want to brush someone elses. Squick.

btw, i could not stand being a dentist (no matter how much money and respect people would give me)... you stand all day looking down pples throats, having one sided conversations

All my dentists have had a special gift for one-sided conversations, I assume they have a special class for that, just like pharmacists have a special class to learn to read doctor's handwriting?

Anyways, im looking in mouths all day, and you're counting pills and directing people to where the shampoo is.....but at least I make 3 X your salary with less hours... :thumbup:

OK, I do know enough about Canadian economics to know that was never true, not even in Canada!

HAHAHAHAHA! I guess the world didn't end with Plan B as OTC. And IL did pass that poorly written law that on the face of it didn't allow pharmacists to refuse to fill a Plan B script if there were valid medical reasons not to.......but enforcement wise, I never heard of any pharmacist who got in trouble for refusing to fill a Plan B script for a valid medical reason, only for religious/ethical reasons.
what's a medical contraindication to using plan B?

trick question, there are none. though those would be great reasons to save someone 50 bucks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 83
pharmbot can read package insert

while it would be pointless to take the pill if someone knew they were already pregnant, pregnancy does not need to be excluded for safety reasons in someone seeking EC. this is one of the reasons it was made OTC

pharmbot can read package insert

while it would be pointless to take the pill if someone knew they were already pregnant, pregnancy does not need to be excluded for safety reasons in someone seeking EC. this is one of the reasons it was made OTC
It's still listed. You're just mad because your trick question wasn't really a trick at all.

Reactions: 1 user