Why School X vs. Y?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zizou232

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm finishing up my primary and I realized I'm applying to more schools than I'd like. I've picked all my schools largely based on prestige and location... which I know isnt good. But the thing is, I dont really know what curriculum based factors I should be accounting for? I've read about PBL vs. lecture based learning styles on SDN but what are the other important factors?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I have been but are there any general differences? i.e. Pre-clinical P/F vs. grading, PBL vs. lecturing, etc. And any idea why one system would be more advantageous for a particular student and not another? P/F seems to be ideal for a student who is self-motivated and fosters cooperation rather than competition among classmates. But are there any advantages to pre-clinical ABCDF grading?

I'm just trying to get an idea of how things work at different med schools. Any help from current med school and/or med school bound students who can provide some insight on the differences would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad :)
I dont really know what curriculum based factors I should be accounting for? I've read about PBL vs. lecture based learning styles on SDN but what are the other important factors?

How about cost? Would you buy a new car based on prestige and location?

Cost is definitely an important factor (I needed a good bit of financial aid to go to my university). But outside of my state school, all the privates I'm applying to are roughly the same. I've done research on the schools I'm applying to and a few of them are known for providing quite a bit of financial relief for their students. I'm hoping I'll be fortunate enough to have multiple acceptances and then take the finances into consideration when choosing my school.

But, as of now, pre-primary, cost does not really rule out too many schools. The reason I started this thread is that I would prefer to cut my primary and secondary costs down a little -- but in the long run, if I deem it important to apply to all 18 of my schools, the expenses are minimal.

The other day I thought about why I really want to apply to, for example, Yale as opposed to Columbia. Yale has a P/F pre-clinical system and a required thesis but I'm not sure how diverse New Haven's patient population will be. I love NYC and Columbia does not require a thesis.... etc.

And, before anyone posts, I realize there is a thread about "Yale vs. Columbia" in the "School Specific Discussions", I've read it and it was very helpful. This is just a hypothetical example -- I'm not even applying to both schools. I am just wondering if there are any general differences between med schools that help people compare and contrast schools.

I've been reading SDN for a while and the advice people have given has been very helpful. Most of the threads here are rehash of the same 3 or 4 questions but I havent been able to find one that tackles this question exactly. Answer at your will.

To be honest, picking your school list based off location and prestige (which largely mirrors acceptance rates) is not a bad place to start. Once you start interviewing you will be able to further stratify your schools on the basis of cost and how much you actually liked the place.

Remember, financial aid offers vary wildly among medical schools and the only way to find out how much it would cost to attend a school is to get accepted. This means it is usually very difficult to build a primary list with price of tuition as the main factor. Also, it is probably better in the long run to apply to a few too many schools than to prevent yourself from sending your application to a couple of reaches.

So I got into Post-Bacc premed program from Boston University and American University. Which one is better if I want to become a dental student? Excluding financial situation and nightlife sceneries, I want to be able to get as much out of the city or the school. Thank you!

So I got into Post-Bacc premed program from Boston University and American University. Which one is better if I want to become a dental student? Excluding financial situation and nightlife sceneries, I want to be able to get as much out of the city or the school. Thank you!

It might be best to make a new thread about this over in our Postbacc forums.

Reactions: 1 user
For me, important factors include match rates and step scores. Does the school historically create students who are prepared for what comes AFTER medical school? Typically, your residency will play a stronger role in your career than where you went to school. (Excluding top 10s of course.)