Why vetmed?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jasps

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Why are you choosing to become a veterinarian?

Myself? I'm still not even sure.. I'm not convinced medicine is really where I want to go. I'm still not sure if constantly dealing with sickness and disease, while having little to do with direct animal husbandry is what I want to do. But for some unexplainable reason, I keep getting drawn back to it.

It's true, the answer "Because I love animals" to the classic "Why do you want to be a vet?" question isin't very accurate. I think you really need a passion for MEDICINE (including pharmaceuticals, physiology, biochemistry..) for this career...Something many wannabe vets fail to realize early on.

So, have at 'er! Why are you pursuing a career with one of the worst education:salary ratios and highest suicide rates?

Members don't see this ad.

If you have to ask then this is probably not the profession for you. Go into human (primate vet) medicine and make the money you seem so obsessed with.

Kai -- former MBA (performed for others, not for myself)

Sorry but... vet med is an obsession, not a practical business decision. I should know.

I watched a lot of animal plant my senior year of undergrad and "Emergency Vets" and "E-vet Interns" made it seems like a pretty hot job. Figured I'd give it a shot.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you have to ask then this is probably not the profession for you. Go into human (primate vet) medicine and make the money you seem so obsessed with.

Kai -- former MBA (performed for others, not for myself)

Sorry but... vet med is an obsession, not a practical business decision. I should know.

... :confused:
Did I really come off that money-crazy? I mentioned vets are sorely under payed for the amount of schooling they have to go through, and that's an aspect of the career that should be considered.

I watched a lot of animal plant my senior year of undergrad and "Emergency Vets" and "E-vet Interns" made it seems like a pretty hot job. Figured I'd give it a shot.

:lame:

I didn't even notice the money reference in the last line of your post, so don't worry about that - I don't think you came off as money obsessed.

And... David's kidding. Mostly. Lol.

Wheres your sense of humor?

What would people think if I said I really just wanted to provide the mediocre level of veterinary care that the people living in my area could afford? It may sound pretty crappy, but for the people who can only afford that level of care, its the greatest thing I can do for them.

same here. personally, i could not see myself doing anything else with my life, even if i'm not paid as much as i deserve or want.

my mom told me since i was little i've dreamed of being a vet, and now, my passion is to truly help animals with my skills - not just care for them because i love animals, but i've developed a passion for the actual medicine part of vet medicine.

i think, that if you're looking to go into general practice, just the need to care for animals is sufficient (now this is just my personal opnion from what i've observed) but if you're more stimulated by the aspect of surgery, i think you really need to want to care for animals but at the same time have the drive and passion for the medicine part. without that desire to care for animals, i feel that your love for the medicine won't be as strong.

Man people chill out!!!!!!

I actually go to school with some of the people who you will see in the background at Alameda East. They did not get into vet school this year either!!!!

That said, this profession like any other thing in the real world, is based on money. After the cancer scare of one of the primary owners, I am pretty sure Alameda East is now just another -- albeit larger than most -- VCA corporate clinic in Denver. The truth of the matter is that it takes money to make money. However, that does not mean that any of us can forget where we came from, nor why we do what we do. However sometimes we have to jump through certain hoops in order to be able to provide the care to other, equally worthy yet less financially fortunate patients as what is depicted on tv. They pay for the charity work of others. Do not knock it! This is the real world and we all have school loans and mortgages to pay monthly.

I myself intend to allow the fees from those who can afford the luxury procedures I will provide for them, to pay for the costs of those who equally love their kids. yet are not in a position to afford what is needed to ensure their best welfare. Is that so wrong?

Kai

Last edited:
For me, it's not only my love of animals (which I've had since I can remember), but also my passion for science that made me want to go to vet school. I've always really liked figuring things out given clues. This is why I loved watching Scooby Doo when I was a kid and figuring out brain teasers. And in advanced organic chem, when we had to figure out the identity of an unknown based on NMR, IR, GCMS data, and other stuff, I loved that, too. Yep, I took advanced organic as an elective and loved it. I'm a dork. :D

That was before I came to vet school. Here I've realized that all of the above things that I liked to do are similar to internal medicine. There's something beautiful and awesome about being able to use the right treatment to manipulate a mechanism that you can't fully visualize. The thought of doing anything else seems kinda boring now.

Oh, and as for why I wouldn't want to do human medicine. I'd think it would be awkward to examine a person. Especially rectal and/or pelvic exams! :eek: And the more I watch doctor TV shows (most of which I'm addicted to), the more I don't like the idea of my patients being able to talk back.

Anyway, there's my 2 cents. I'll be in debt until I'm like 70, but it'll be worth it! :D

For me it all goes back to the classic love of animals along with a STRONG passion for problem solving... There is something about the challenge of figuring out what is wrong with a patient who can't tell you anything that gives me the push towards vetmed.

I don't think that I could make it through people med school because I have a great disdain for people and their BS, but if I had to I would absolutely become Dr. House and be a great diagnostician because I would ignore anything and everything that came out of the patients mouth... lol

Wheres your sense of humor?

What would people think if I said I really just wanted to provide the mediocre level of veterinary care that the people living in my area could afford? It may sound pretty crappy, but for the people who can only afford that level of care, its the greatest thing I can do for them.

I thought you were taking a jab at me, the first response put me on the defensive :ninja:
But if that's honestly what you want to do, I don't think people would "think" anything negative. General practice vets are on the front lines of vetmed. Without them we'd have a problem.

Members don't see this ad :)
I love the concept of human medicine too, but I couldn't stand dealing with the insurance companies and paperwork all day long. Also, it's sometimes harder to garner empathy for humans than it is for animals...humans can get really, really annoying. I guess I see vet med as being closer to the true meaning of "medicine" - while we can't always provide the best treatment d/t an owner's financial limitations, we aren't plagued by the corporate troubles of human medicine.

I don't think that I could make it through people med school because I have a great disdain for people and their BS, but if I had to I would absolutely become Dr. House and be a great diagnostician because I would ignore anything and everything that came out of the patients mouth... lol

Surprise, it's not all about the animals! ;) Most career choices that involve veterinary medicine are heavily involved in dealing with people. Who makes the appointment, brings the animal in, gives you a (hopefully) complete history, pays for your services, gives meds, ok's surgery, etc? And then, you also have your collegues, coworkers, other clients, and the general public.

To the OP, I am choosing veterinary medicine because it is a scientific, medical career that allows me to work with/treat/diagnose/save animals (and people).

Last edited:
No I think you're right. I still want to be a vet, but, as far as the schooling/hours/stress/competition that go into it we are by far the most underpaid group of professionals.

I wanted to be everything at different points in undergrad from a neurosurgeon to an expat bar owner in Cambodia. In the end, I have always been intensely interested in physiology and pharmacology. I also love the clinical side of getting to work one on one with patients and their owners. I love that everyday is different and, although it is hard you will face new challenges. Monotony kills me. Finally I love the many options that you have with a DVM. Many people change carrers within the field mutiple times. There are opputunities for travels and research in Africa and India (just what I want to do,) oppertunities to work in government, private industry, ZOOS, academia and of course private practice.

I can safely say that being a veterinarian has not been a life-long dream of mine, but, I feel that I have finally found a carreer that incorporates my academic interests, suits my lifestyle, provides me with ample oppurtunities to grow and learn throught my life and gives me the peace of mind of knowing that I am giving back to world in a way that I feel is important.

Just my two cents...

... :confused:
Did I really come off that money-crazy? I mentioned vets are sorely under payed for the amount of schooling they have to go through, and that's an aspect of the career that should be considered.

lol, don't ever mention money on this forum...you're going to be consigned to the 9th circle of hell for wanting to be a profitable veterinarian (which is possible regardless of what anyone tells you) on this forum.

With that being said though, I don't love "animals". I love some animals and hate others. However I have an enormous compassion for -any- animal. I've always wanted to do something medicinal, every other field I've researched or shadowed has been rediculously lackluster to me. Also, have no real interest in human medicine. It's not that I don't like dealing with people at all, in fact, I love people...but sick people just gross me out.

The plain and simple fact is that animals are much more interesting and challenging to me. The good old vet med saying really says it all--"Real doctors treat more than one species."

From a tech's persepective...there are some days that suck, and those days suck hard. However, on the days that rock, the days that make you really feel good, you can tell that vet med is on of the most rewarding careers anyone can be in.

I was never sure it was something I wan't to do until I started working at a clinic. There has not been one single day where I don't want to go to work and that says it all to me.

For me its something I have never been able to articulate. I do love animals, I love the challenge of a mute patient, I love noticing subtle signs and drawing out a conclusion, I'm fascinated by how the body works, breaks down and heals. I love to work with people devoted to their animals, I love educating people about animal care and being able to back up what I'm saying. Cheesy stuff. Its one of those "I just know it" things.

It's the only type of job I've ever had where, when the alarm goes off in the morning, I don't think, "Oh crap, I have to go to work today."

Also, I'm not into wearing fancy business clothes. Give me a job where I can wear Carhartts and muckboots, or scrubs with a few smears of blood (now THAT'S my idea of a designer touch!)

I believe vet med is on the forefront to epidemiology. As populations increase and residential centers expand, farmlands will be compressed and the borders between wildlands (which are dwindling), agricultrual land, and residential lands will become less and less distiguishable, providing rapid transmission vectors for numerous diseases. The ability to analyze illness in its most subtle forms in animals is key to preventing raging epizootics that threaten food systems and public health. Having worked in zoos, assisted in the prevention of hoof & mouth spread in England, and lived on a farm, I am fascinated by the potential for early indicator systems.

I do have a passion for animals; I own pets that I love, but more than that I admire the variety of traits and characteristics that enable animals to adapt and adjust to the environments that surround them. I would say I am rather fascinated by animals. I also take great pleasure in the mental gymnastics of data mining and analysis that enables diagnosticians and researchers to identify and predict disease courses and vectors. I also enjoy the amazing complexity of systems, whether those are socio-behavioral constructs or physiological/molecular structures.

While I can obtain components of the above in a variety of fields, I believe the only way to fully combine them is through veterinary medicine.

I'm fascinated by science and medicine, figuring out how things work and how to fix them when they get screwed up, all the tools and techniques for diagnosis and treatment.
I really enjoy being able to reassure people and educate them about how to better care for their pets (Even the totally flakey whackos, of which there are many :D).
I want a job where I will never in a million years get bored and I will learn something and face new challenges every single day of my career.
Bottom line, nothing, absolutely nothing, compares with the satisfaction of treating and helping an animal.

I have worked for the past two years making a pretty big salary and I have been miserable five days a week. I can't wait to have a reason to get up in the morning and know I am going to make somethings' life a little better. What's the point of living if you can't aid in humanity. But I want to make a few bucks too...hehehe

I want to cure cancer... Does that sound too ambitious? hehe. Well right now I work as a preclinical cancer research scientist. I love my job, but I know that it is going nowhere. I could get promoted... great, but I'd be doing the same exact thing every single day, and I have no say in what I do. I want to learn more about the field, I want to be a more productive member of the scientific society, and I want to honestly say I gave it the best shot that I could. I am also sick of the political BS that I have to deal with now too (because I am the low man on the totem poll). I have a lot of great ideas that I would like to impart in a hard-working scientific team, and hopefully as a veterinarian I would also have the pull to do so. I honestly believe this is my life's passion... I really would like to get those therapeutics out there to the animals/people who need them. I am an animal person at heart, so I never really considered human medicine as an option, but I still think it's great to combine the two by working with lab animals to provide the most safe and efficacious drugs. I don't know exactly what I'll end up doing (pre-clinical lab animal, or treating animals in the clinic), but I know that this is the direction my heart is leading me.

I want to help animals and I can't stand dealing with people.

That always goes over well in interviews, right? :rolleyes:

No, seriously, I do not remember what started my interest in vet med. And as nice as that sounds, it sucked when I was trying to write my personal statement! I asked my mom about it, figuring that she could remember the 80's better than I could, and she said that when I was about 3 I asked who helps animals like a doctor, and she said a veterinarian, and I said well then that's what I'll be. I guess I've just spent the last 19 years trying to make that happen.

It's funny, because as set as I am on getting into/through vet school, I have absolutely no idea what I want to do afterward. I mean, I guess I'm leaning toward small animal medicine, but part of me also really wants to do research and get into the academia side of things. I have some time to figure that out, though. Still just trying to get through the admissions process. :lame:

A lot of my family is involved in human medicine so I grew up with a lot of exposure to it, however I never felt any inclination to treat humans for their ailments. The first thing I tend to think is that they're contagious and I want to get as far away from them as I can, not the number one quality you want in a physician. However I love medicine and since I was little I've always wanted to "make animals better". No matter how many times I got away from the animal field I always came back and have been the happiest when I'm in a clinical setting.

It may not pay as well as it should but at the end of my life I know I'll have used my skills and passion in the best way to help change the world, even if it's just for a small percentage.

My reasoning?

Well, like I said in my PS -- it started when I was five and thought it would be cool to cuddle puppies and kitties all day. But then the allergies manifested. So I went to thinking MD, marketing, and journalism. Then I got put on Allegra-D, got kitties again for the first time in 10 years, and got them altered.

While in the vet's office I realized I wanted to be a DVM. But for a different reason (though puppies and kitties are still awesome and cuddly): I wanted to help people by helping the animals that affected their lives, small or large, companion or food.

I did have a period of time of about 3 months where I faltered and thought about going ophthalmology (OD). But as soon as I started shadowing at my vet's office I went full force DVM and haven't looked back. Though I am going to LOVE my ophthalmology rotation during 4th year. Eyes are AWESOME. /tangent

:hungover: I've got no lofty dreams of a Ferrari sitting in front of my huge mansion. My Dodge Neon better last me another 10 years because goodness knows I'll have enough debt without a new car included in that.

My reason is pretty basic I guess. I've loved animals since forever and I've loved medicine since middle school. This seems like an obvious career choice given my interests. Since I have finalized my decision on vet med (I had other careers in mind), nobody I know is really surprised!

Something sort of discouraging: the vet hospital I volunteer at gives me a different impression. I thought that anyone who became a vet had to be passionate about animals--if not, then why not just go MD? I don't know anyone in the office that is really in it for the animals. Anyone else encounter this?

I'm fascinated by medicine :D

But I do not like people. Especially people who do not want to help themselves (aka drug addicts, obese, smokers). Animals only get sick because they're sick or because of their owners' stupidity. Plus I love animals :)

Being pre-med freaked me out every day like nothing else. Pre-vet is pretty damn stress free, and I only worry about getting my GPA up (which is good but not the best).

Surprise, it's not all about the animals! ;) Most career choices that involve veterinary medicine are heavily involved in dealing with people. Who makes the appointment, brings the animal in, gives you a (hopefully) complete history, pays for your services, gives meds, ok's surgery, etc? And then, you also have your collegues, coworkers, other clients, and the general public.

To the OP, I am choosing veterinary medicine because it is a scientific, medical career that allows me to work with/treat/diagnose/save animals (and people).

But you don't judge the animal. You may judge their owner if they gave their dog chocolate (not by accident), and want to help the animal even more. With people, if a person is making themselves sick, I judge. I can't help it. So I'd be a bad people doctor :)

Last edited:
I'm fascinated by medicine :D

But I do not like people. Especially people who do not want to help themselves (aka drug addicts, obese, smokers).

A.) Have you got any direct experience in the field? If you're going to go about judging owners, they'll pick up on it - believe me. If you "can't help" but make judgements about people who "don't want to help themselves", then you need to do some work on hiding it really well. Seriously, you can be the best clinician in the world, but you'll never keep a client base if you're perceived as judgemental. Especially considering that everyone has flaws.

B.)Don't say anything like that at your interview. Unless, of course, you want to turn your seat over to the next kid walking in through the door. The last thing adcoms want to do is let someone in with so-so grades who hates people but OMG just LOVES animals!!11! :love:

C.) This is something that hits a nerve with me because of my own family situation. I'll try not to get carried away here. Many, many people who are addicted to drugs do, in fact, want to help themselves. There's a reason it's called "drug addiction" and not "drug too-lazy-to-shape-up-and-quit-ness." It's a serious issue and there are often complicated biochemical and socioeconomic factors at work. I understand that this doesn't apply to everyone, but there are many people out there who spend years and years trying very hard to kick a drug addiction (including cigarettes and alcohol.) Please, speak to a sociologist, psychologist, or even someone doing research on the biochemical nature of drugs and addiction. If all it took to kick a tough habit was a little willpower, nobody would be a drug addict - you'd just find occasional users who were fine otherwise.

Sorry about that everyone - back on topic!

Also, there's a good blog post that sums up the relationship between pet owners, pets, and veterinarians here:
http://www.petconnection.com/blog/2...lationship-do-you-have-with-your-pets-doctor/

This is from a pet owner's perspective. The money quote is right at the beginning (emphasis mine):
"Veterinary care is a medical oddity because the patient is not the client; the owner is. And that means the relationship I have with my veterinarian is more important than the one she has with my pets.

I'm the one who makes the choices and spends the money. That's why veterinarians need to work on client communication and trust so the animals can get the care they need."

It's not okay to be terrible with people, to resent people, or to down-talk and judge people if you ever expect to be able to work with their pets. Seriously, this whole "Dr. House" mentality is ridiculous - in human med AND vet med, but especially vet med. If patients don't like their doctor's attitude, but he's a good practitioner with great survival rates, they'll still see him. Or if she's the only one accepted by a patient's insurance - they'll have to see her anyways. Also, patients can easily judge how effective a human medical doctor is by the way they feel after being treated.

It's totally different in vet med because the animal doesn't decide who to see or when or for what treatment - the owner does. You need to be good with people or you won't be an effective advocate for the animals you're working with.

Why vet med? For the chicks of course! (And pigs, dogs, cats, cows.....) :laugh:

Like PP, I spent a number of years in another field and never felt very passionate about it. I did what I thought I should do, not what I wanted to do. Several years later I finally realized that money isn't everything if you despise going to work.

Even if I never make it to vet school, and it takes years to get back to the salary range I was at, I'd rather feel fulfilled at work. I want to help people by working with animals, whether that means public health, private practice, or whatever the case may be.

This has been the hardest I've ever had to work for anything, and I'm only into my first year of pre-vet courses. If I never get beyond the interview, I'll still be damn proud of myself.

Pandacinny, sorry I didn't mean to insult you or anyone else. I know there are additions people can't help, but I also know that a lot of those (mostly the illegal kind) addictions had to have started one day.

My grades aren't so-so oO. It's not a 4.0. And I won't say it haha it's just there in my head and will never come out in professional setting. I can hide my judgment, it's just that I can only do it when I have to help someone not responsible for it.

If you want my real answer that is true and will be used in my interview - even when I'm dead tired after work or school, etc , seeing/handling animals will make me happy no matter what.

And of course, hurt animals are one of the worst things for me. You should have seen my reaction when my kitten bumped her head against a chair when she tried to jump on it. OMG how saw was that!

That's fine, Konfetkette - I didn't mean to attack you so I'm sorry for being a bit harsh, too.

It's great that you love animals and they bring so much joy into your life. It's just not a great idea to put that you don't like people in your PS or even to pursue this career if you hate people, necessarily. I think the best thing to do is to get some experience with a few vets if you haven't already. You'll see that there are terrible people out there, but also some who really love their pets and are trying to care for them well. It's important to be able to work with both kinds.

The judgment lesson was one of the biggest things I learned from being a tech. You HAVE to meet your clients halfway, sometimes MORE than halfway. Just because you would take a bullet for your pet doesn't mean that your clients would do the same for theirs, and you cannot fault them for that. People have their own priorities and values, and you will only be disappointed when you try to convert them to yours.

In my opinion, the most successful vets are those that can consistently give their clients the benefit of the doubt.

I think vet med involves more client communication than human med sometimes. In vet med, the humans will never be sedated or under anesthesia and we will always have to talk with them before treating their pet and spending their money. They are always going to be talking. One of the reasons I love vet med so much is because we get to work with people ALL THE TIME.

In my opinion, the most successful vets are those that can consistently give their clients the benefit of the doubt.

Very good point. I do search and rescue, and last year we were called to a search for a 12 year old suicidal boy believed to have OD'd on sedatives. Time was critical. We ended up in multiple shallow canyons with the search dogs, and we were pushing hard. I work a shepherd, and the dogs sense all the tension. We didn't take breaks, so after a 12 hours shift when we came back out, I realized that my shepherd (who had been pounding the ground full of adrenaline) was holding her foot when she stood (but not limping.) On closer inspection she had torn a pad and snagged a nail, torqueing it pretty badly (it was upside down.) We headed to the emergency vet (it wasn't truely an emergency, but we were going to be back in search rotation in a few hours.) The tech I talked to first never asked how she tore the pad or anything like that. Just looked at it and muttered something about how packed it was with dirt (I had rinsed it, but not cleaned it yet.) The vet came in with an attitude and made comments about my dog being underweight (she is a shockingly lean shepherd, but not underweight, and she gets as much as she wants to eat) and 'keeping her in such poor condition' and that he would have the tech clean the cut on the pad up and we would leave the nail and just let it all take care of itself. Said something to the tech about backyard dogs.

I lost it...really went off. I tore into the vet and the tech for not even taking a reasonable history, so that maybe they would understand that I am experienced with dogs and that the dog was filthy and injured trying to save a human life. That I brought her in because as long as she was willing to search on the next assignment, we would, and the wound needed to be cleaned, possibly stitched, and sealed. Yes, I realize it isn't ideal...neither is a child dieing because we can't do our job...the job this dog was breed for, that we have spent years trainng for.

My shepherd means the world to me...she gets the best care possible. She gets massages, doggy yoga, and fitness conditioning. I spend time working with her and running with her every day. great food, excellent vet care, etc. However, she is a working dog. I would risk the injury to save a human life, as LONG as she was willing (and for anyone who has been around a working shepherd, it takes a lot to pull them off of thier work.)

Strangely enough, I hear the same comments by techs at our clinic about hunting and working stock dogs. Our vet is pretty good (she has served for several iditarod's) but the staff takes an attitude of judgement from the beginning of seeing the animal.

The judgment lesson was one of the biggest things I learned from being a tech. You HAVE to meet your clients halfway, sometimes MORE than halfway. Just because you would take a bullet for your pet doesn't mean that your clients would do the same for theirs, and you cannot fault them for that. People have their own priorities and values, and you will only be disappointed when you try to convert them to yours.

i completely agree. so many of the clients i have met by being a tech, have such different views than i do - i personally would do anything to save my dog, but i have met so many people who wouldn't do the same. and i've found that it is futile for me to just try to change their minds, it's much more about just working with them in the best way possible to provide the best care for the pet.

Lunazzurra, that was a beautiful post -- succinct and 100% true. Like littlelisa, I actually enjoy the human interaction of vet medicine. It is very rewarding to be able to help other people with their pets, and I've met all kinds of interesting people and heard all kinds of stories.

Well, to be honest, I've had days where I wondered if I should go into human medicine, but I ALWAYS come back to equine medicine. It has been years since I've considered anything outside of medicine, no matter which species. Medicine is fascinating to me, full of surprises and opportunities to solve puzzles and to LEARN. There is always the potential (potential, not necessarily reality, though) for new and exciting cases and ways to understand physiology and pathology even better, and I don't think that stops even mid-career if you are in the right environment.

Equine medicine is one of those things that can have me, a somewhat quiet person, babbling on for hours to my parents, who don't really care, and staying up for 24+ hours straight because I get so "into" the cases, the physiology, the individual stories. I hope it never becomes boring, but if it does, I'll focus on research more, where the drive to add to the sum of human knowledge keeps people going for entire careers and even beyond retirement age.

The vet came in with an attitude and made comments about my dog being underweight (she is a shockingly lean shepherd, but not underweight, and she gets as much as she wants to eat) and 'keeping her in such poor condition' and that he would have the tech clean the cut on the pad up and we would leave the nail and just let it all take care of itself. Said something to the tech about backyard dogs.

Boy, I hear ya, Sum. I have competed in canine performance events for many years, including sheepherding and agility where a slightly underweight dog is preferred by most handlers because it is healthier on the joints. And these dogs are fit, well-muscled specimens. They're just LEAN. I think part of the problem is that the average pet owner allows their dog to get so overweight that the vet loses perspective. Nowadays, if the vet doesn't see a significant percentage of performance dogs in his/her practice, they think that any dog who is fit is underweight.

I've moved around the country a lot, and the first thing I do when looking for a new vet is ask all the performance people (except the ones who strictly do conformation) who they take their animals to. That way, I know I'll have a vet who is comfortable with FIT dogs (and probably also with titering in lieu of vax's, and raw diets, and trying experimental procedures because the pet means more to the owner than their house or car!).

Of course, when you've got an emergency as you did, you're kinda stuck with what you can find in a hurry.