This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm moving back to Boston after a 4 year stint in the Midwest for undergrad and I am SO READY to have Dunkins that are accessible!!
The downtown Westborough one is high quality Dunks

Although I'm a little annoyed at them, because for a long time, they would melt white cheddar on the veggie egg white wraps in the best way :hungry:...and now they have changed the cheese and it has ruined everything

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Some of it is anecdotal*, including the residency stat. I asked back when I interviewed because I knew I was interested in opportunities specializing, and it was/is important to me that I am at a school that would provide me with a solid shot at certain future career paths.
Although just to reiterate -- I do not think going here vs somewhere else is what will land me the residency of my dreams, nor do I think I would have been at a disadvantage at any of the other schools I initially considered applying to.

Vet school is vet school, and while I am generally very happy to give Tufts my $ to help me become a critter doctor, it's also not perfect, and other schools may ultimately offer things that are a better fit for a given individual student.

Anyone going to accepted applicants day? I'll be there!

Members don't see this ad :)
To current students: How possible is living alone? Are there any decently priced apartments nearby? I 100% know I don't want to have roommates but I know a lot of people split houses for rent purposes

I just denied my spot OOS so the waitlist should move if they did not overaccept :) Good luck to anyone on the OOS waitlist

I just denied my spot OOS so the waitlist should move if they did not overaccept :) Good luck to anyone on the OOS waitlist
Does anyone know if they overaccept? I have a friend on the waitlist and I’m hoping she gets in but I don’t want to give her false hope!

Does anyone know if they overaccept? I have a friend on the waitlist and I’m hoping she gets in but I don’t want to give her false hope!
I believe they do overaccept because they have more OOS seats than IS, and OOS students are more likely to pick their IS.

For current students: How strict are they on the “under 30 minutes for on campus tech jobs” thing? I have an opportunity to have housing that is 35 minutes from campus... would this prevent me from having such jobs or would this be okay? Do they like check your address or is it a verbal agreement?

This is SO helpful!! Thank you! I love hanging out with folks of all ages, but it's always nice to hear that there are plenty of other non-trads.

I think we'd be looking to buy, because we own a home now and will probably make money when we sell. Plus who is going to rent to us with 5 cats and a large dog?? Haha. I'll definitely let you know if I have more specific questions!

Yes! It is really great to hear there are several people in their 30’s. I’m 33, OOS, and would be moving to the area with my husband. We would also be looking to buy. I’ve already been scouring Zillow for decent options.

Currently deciding between Tufts (which seems like an incredible community) and Cornell (close to family/friends).

I’ll be at the admitted students day next week! Looking forward to meeting everyone!!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
To current students: How possible is living alone? Are there any decently priced apartments nearby? I 100% know I don't want to have roommates but I know a lot of people split houses for rent purposes

In short, it depends. For the most part, single bedroom apartments in the area will run you at least $800-850 per month, with most being more along the lines of $1000. If you are able to find something cheaper, it is likely to be in a not-so-nice part of the city of Worcester. For comparison, people with roommates usually pay more along the lines of $400-600/month for some pretty nice apartments and houses close to campus. If you are someone who can afford, or is willing to take out more loans in order to afford, paying that much more for housing then by all means do so, but I would strongly recommend reconsidering your unwillingness to live with roommates. Not only does it save you a substantial amount of money, but living with classmates can be a huge source of support as you go through what can be a really grueling curriculum.

For current students: How strict are they on the “under 30 minutes for on campus tech jobs” thing? I have an opportunity to have housing that is 35 minutes from campus... would this prevent me from having such jobs or would this be okay? Do they like check your address or is it a verbal agreement?

I'm a third year who has worked as both a large animal student technician and a small animal surgery technician for the past three years. It is technically a verbal agreement, no one is going to map out the exact time it would take you to get from your home to the hospital. However, if you are serious about wanting to work one of these jobs I would reconsider living that far away. In both positions you would be on-call for emergency situations (i.e. surgeries) where time is of the essence and you need to be there to do your job ASAP. Don't discount the fact that the 35 minute commute will actually translate to more along the lines of 45-50 minutes between getting called in and actually making it to the hospital after you do things like get dressed, take your dog outside, quickly use the bathroom, make sure you have your stethoscope, etc. Also, the amount of warning dispatch will give you is highly variable; I live 5 minutes from campus, and there have still been times where I've received a call that was basically "we're putting the patient under, get here NOW" (other times it is more of "the patient might be ready to go in about 3 hours so make sure you're standing by"). In those situations where you are not given much of a heads-up, taking more than half an hour to get to the hospital can really ramp up the stress for both you and other personnel working on that animal.

Yes! It is really great to hear there are several people in their 30’s. I’m 33, OOS, and would be moving to the area with my husband. We would also be looking to buy. I’ve already been scouring Zillow for decent options.

Currently deciding between Tufts (which seems like an incredible community) and Cornell (close to family/friends).

I’ll be at the admitted students day next week! Looking forward to meeting everyone!!

We're the same age! It's a good vintage, haha. I've been looking at houses too, but the market is a little weird. I'm hoping it's just because it's still cold up there, and most people aren't selling yet (I'm in Austin).

I wasn't able to make the trip for Accepted Applicants Day. :( How was it?? I hope everyone had a blast!

Hi! Did they mention on accepted applicants day or in any other format when specifically we should expect the financial aid package? It's one of the deciding factors between schools for me so I'm anxiously awaiting it :nailbiting: I know they said around early April but wasn't sure if anyone had more updates.

Hi! Did they mention on accepted applicants day or in any other format when specifically we should expect the financial aid package? It's one of the deciding factors between schools for me so I'm anxiously awaiting it :nailbiting: I know they said around early April but wasn't sure if anyone had more updates.

I e-mailed them and asked. They told me next week, but they were not sure of a specific date yet.

I declined my spot at Tufts for a cheaper option. For what it's worth, I really liked the school and the program. Out of the places I was accepted, I probably liked Tufts the most and I'm sure someone will be thrilled to get an offer from the waitlist. Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 3 users

They told me it would be Monday. I am on the waitlist, but I received a scholarship for another school and have to reply by April 15. Tufts told me to call on April 11, as they would likely have an idea of how the waitlist would go based on admitted applicants' responses to their financial aid packages.

Got an email yesterday afternoon (in my junk folder) with their aid package.

I'll be declining my OOS seat for a cheaper option-- best of luck to those choosing to attend! This was by far my favorite of the schools I visited, but it's hard to turn down a much cheaper option.

Reactions: 2 users
Got an email yesterday afternoon (in my junk folder) with their aid package.

I'll be declining my OOS seat for a cheaper option-- best of luck to those choosing to attend! This was by far my favorite of the schools I visited, but it's hard to turn down a much cheaper option.
I'm doing the same thing for my IS school. Tufts campus blew me away, but money takes the cake in this case :(

Declined my OOS seat today - best of luck to everyone on the waitlist!!

also declined my OOS a few days ago, hopefully there's been some movement!

Hey I'm currently applying to Tufts for this next cycle and trying to decide how to answer the application question of "Which aspect(s) of Tufts prompted your application?" Tufts seems very research oriented but my career goals are toward Equine vet practice. Is that okay if I'm not aiming for research? Any suggestions on what I can focus on?

Hey I'm currently applying to Tufts for this next cycle and trying to decide how to answer the application question of "Which aspect(s) of Tufts prompted your application?" Tufts seems very research oriented but my career goals are toward Equine vet practice. Is that okay if I'm not aiming for research? Any suggestions on what I can focus on?
I had/have zero research experience and I'm a third year.

Be true to yourself in the application vs going with whatever you think a school is looking to hear.

AAEP is very active here so you'll find your equine goals well supported! :) If you want some quick perspective on why Tufts for horses...we just built a sports medicine complex expansion, so the school is continuing to invest in equine medicine. We also have some great faculty who have done amazing things for horses in New England and maintain contacts with international organizations like the Fondouk. Non-profit veterinary care in Fez, Medina, Morocco ⋆ American Fondouk

Don’t worry about it, Tufts is really not very research oriented to begin with. My advice is not to fake your interests, it doesn’t come across well. But why Tufts for equine though? I’m not sure it’s anyone’s top choice if they were seriously looking for the beat equine school. If that’s not the reason, that’s also fine. If you’re local, there are ways to spin that well. Whatever it is, be honest. If honesty isn’t your thing, and you want to BS it and small animal isn’t your thing, talk about how you love their holistic curriculum in integrating one health type things with their international vet med, as well as wildlife clinic, etc... (this approach makes me want to puke, but a lot of people do this). Or if you’re into equine, maybe talk about their ambulatory clinic? But seriously, why are you applying there? Start there.

If honesty isn’t your thing, and you want to BS it and small animal isn’t your thing, talk about how you love their holistic curriculum in integrating one health type things with their international vet med, as well as wildlife clinic, etc... (this approach makes me want to puke, but a lot of people do this).
Please don't do this. Yeah, people probably do it, but it's a good life skill to start being upfront with what you want from a school or a job.

And in any case, one would hope that true passion comes through more strongly than trying to fit a mold. If you want to do horse stuff then get excited about horse stuff.

I happen to think we have a pretty decent equine program, too...yes Tufts is known more for small animal and wildlife, but someone who wants to specialize in equine will do perfectly fine here (and might even get more 1:1 opportunities because they are in the minority).

Applying OOS, 1st time applying to vet school. I'm curious how many people selected the video option for the essay (I am doing it).

Unpopular opinion: Let's be real, when applying to veterinary schools it's good to cast a wide net. Because you will probably be applying to a number of schools, you may be very familiar with some and unfamiliar with others. The real reason you are applying to some of these schools will be because they are a vet school, not because there's something specific about that school that is drawing you to them more than another school, and that's OK! Now of course you can't say that flat out, they want to hear that they are the best school ever and that you know everything about them. On some of your applications you are going to have to say what you think they want to hear. So if Tufts wants to hear that you are a huge proponent of One Health and really into the whole active citizen thing and love the idea of wildlife and would totally fit in with the school culture and are interested in a joint JD/DVM etc (even if you have no idea what any of these things are nor any interest in them) than say what you need to say. Educate yourself on it but if there's a way to make yourself attractive,someone who knows what makes the program standout from the others and come across as someone who would fit into their program then play the game. It is less than ideal but if that's your only option than do it, you need to make sure you stand out and are not an average Joe. I do believe it will be easier to try and find genuine common ground, it'll be more natural. But there will be times when you will find yourself applying to a vet school for no other reason than the fact that they are a vet school and if you are in that situation, it's totally fine to exaggerate an area of interest.

idk. I kinda think most schools can see through that kind of spin. They read a lot of applications.

If everyone who is applying to the school picks out the same quick hits & buzzwords, you eliminate what makes you unique -- suddenly you're just one more person talking about one health and wildlife in a sea of hundreds of others talking about one health and wildlife...

...whereas you could be the only person in the room talking about how you want to treat critically ill horses with EEE. Oh, what's that? People can get EEE too, you say? --> there's your One Health angle, easy peasy.

Even beyond the initial application, anything that goes on your app needs to be something you are real comfortable with discussing in person, so I'd advise against stating interest in stuff you actually don't care about unless your in-person BSing skills are really on point. And ultimately, the goal shouldn't be "get accepted to vet school" -- it should be "what do I want to do with this very expensive degree once I have it." It sounds like the OP already has their eye on the prize ;)

@Fluffypancakes I definitely see what you're saying about applying to a lot of schools knowing that some of them are a shot in the dark...but idk, I would think it would be exhausting to have to be a different candidate for every school.

Maybe it's just because I am old and therefore lazier, but I don't have the energy for that anymore haha :pompous:

Last edited: