Women's Interview Clothing #3!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Style Snaps. They work like a charm for awkward gaps in button ups.

Awesome! Do you know where I could buy it, in-store? CVS Pharmacy? Wal Mart? Target?

Members don't see this ad.

I know exactly how you feel!! Have you tried wearing a (comfortable) sports bra under a tank top under a button-down shirt? Sounds like a lot of layers, but it's getting cold anyway, haha. That said, blouses are absolutely fine, and I wore them to 3 of my 4 interviews.

If you are self conscious about your stomach, consider a high-waisted skirt, and tuck your button down or blouse into it. Basically eliminates the problem. Consider keeping your suit jacket buttoned, but you don't have to.

Bottom line is, wear something that you are comfortable and confident in. If you are self conscious about how you look, you'll fidget and be distracting to yourself and your interviewer.

Well, I bought my pants so that they are a bit looser, and so if I do sit down, it's a bit less awkward. I will tuck my shirt in for sure and probably keep my jacket on but not buttoned (it emphasizes parts that I don't want emphasized, haha). I just hope I won't look sloppy with looser pants than what I've seen girls wear. I like the pants that just skim your curves and fall straight to the floor, and it's a good counter-balance to my more fitted top.

I think I won't try SOMA or spanx for this interview, just because it'll be my first time. I'll try it out after this interview and before my next one.

Thank you.

I'm also a bit self conscious when I sit down, since I have a bit of a tummy, but I've never worn anything like spanx. anyone with that experience during an interview? how was it? I don't think it's something I should try for the first time during my interview.
I highly recommend Spanx (or the Target version, which are about 1/2 the price) under skirts/dresses. Be careful of using them under pants as you can sometimes see the bottom "hem" of the Spanx (more of a problem for people with larger thighs/tighter pants). If you get the right size the Spanx are no more uncomfortable than control-top hose, and they do a phenomenal job of smoothing and firming the jiggly, muffiny, lumpy parts.

Members don't see this ad :)
I highly recommend Spanx (or the Target version, which are about 1/2 the price) under skirts/dresses. Be careful of using them under pants as you can sometimes see the bottom "hem" of the Spanx (more of a problem for people with larger thighs/tighter pants). If you get the right size the Spanx are no more uncomfortable than control-top hose, and they do a phenomenal job of smoothing and firming the jiggly, muffiny, lumpy parts.

Thanks! I have pretty loose pants so I'll keep that in mind.

Awesome! Do you know where I could buy it, in-store? CVS Pharmacy? Wal Mart? Target?

I found them at Walgreens. If your buttons are pretty close together you can cut them in half (there are two snaps on each), and remember to remove them before getting your shirt dry cleaned (you can restick them back on later).

I found them at Walgreens. If your buttons are pretty close together you can cut them in half (there are two snaps on each), and remember to remove them before getting your shirt dry cleaned (you can restick them back on later).

thank you!

I just read through every page in this thread! I love fashion. I have a navy suit from the Limited, an awesome two button jacket-pant suit.

Is this pattern too much for under my jacket? Except my blouse is black with that pattern on top and has capped sleeves.
http://http://thestylecure.com/ELIE-TAHARI-Jeanna-Printed-Blouse-314638667.html

Also, I have 4" black leather Nine West heels that I can walk in for miles, and are super comfortable. But is the heel height too inappropriate? Considering I'll be wearing my pant suit and it won't really show.

Last edited:
I just read through every page in this thread! I love fashion. I have a navy suit from the Limited, an awesome two button jacket-pant suit.

Is this pattern too much for under my jacket? Except my blouse is black with that pattern on top and has capped sleeves.
http://http://thestylecure.com/ELIE-TAHARI-Jeanna-Printed-Blouse-314638667.html

Also, I have 4" black leather Nine West heels that I can walk in for miles, and are super comfortable. But is the heel height too inappropriate? Considering I'll be wearing my pant suit and it won't really show.
given I'm not a girl, my initial reaction to 4 inch heals is not good

This thread is so helpful!

Question:

In business casual, can you wear a patterned skirt? I'm attending a type of workshop, and of particular importance is a "networking lunch". I was thinking button up shirt, paisley print pencil skirt, black tights/pumps, and khaki blazer. Or should I remove the patterned skirt and stick to solid? It doesn't seem too loud to me, but then again that's me... if you are curious as to the kind of paisley, the skirt is from J. Crew

Answer:

?

Question:

In business casual, can you wear a patterned skirt? I'm attending a type of workshop, and of particular importance is a "networking lunch". I was thinking button up shirt, paisley print pencil skirt, black tights/pumps, and khaki blazer. Or should I remove the patterned skirt and stick to solid? It doesn't seem too loud to me, but then again that's me... if you are curious as to the kind of paisley, the skirt is from J. Crew

Answer:

?

I would say no to anything paisley. Possibly you could wear it under the suit jacket as a shirt, but the jacket and skirt should be solid, and the same color. i would also go against beige... but that's just me.

I have a burgundy Michael Kors tote that is my current bag right now. This is the color.

prodImage.ms

Its not as tall, and is a bit wider. Do you guys think it'll be okay? I hope so, because I don't want to take two bags home.

Question:

Answer:

?

I would say no to anything paisley. Possibly you could wear it under the suit jacket as a shirt, but the jacket and skirt should be solid, and the same color. i would also go against beige... but that's just me.

You can absolutely wear patterns, but you should err on the side of feeling confident and comfortable. I think any fashion decision that you might question while you're networking is a bad one. Personally, I agree with capnjazz. To me, paisley evokes hipsters, the 70's and really bad ties/upholstery.

btw, you don't need to wear a blazer if it's business casual. I'd probably go with a nice colorblocked shift with a cardigan or a skirt/buttondown. And honestly, people won't care too much what you wear to a workshop. Hope that helps!

I have a burgundy Michael Kors tote that is my current bag right now. This is the color.

prodImage.ms

Its not as tall, and is a bit wider. Do you guys think it'll be okay? I hope so, because I don't want to take two bags home.

it's totally fine. you're set. good luck :) <3

You can absolutely wear patterns, but you should err on the side of feeling confident and comfortable. I think any fashion decision that you might question while you're networking is a bad one. Personally, I agree with capnjazz. To me, paisley evokes hipsters, the 70's and really bad ties/upholstery.

btw, you don't need to wear a blazer if it's business casual. I'd probably go with a nice colorblocked shift with a cardigan or a skirt/buttondown. And honestly, people won't care too much what you wear to a workshop. Hope that helps!

Alright, thanks that does help. I thought the print would be conservative enough but wanted a second opinion since I rarely step out in anything but jeans or color/prints. I guess I will stick with the slacks for now! Better to feel comfortable than anything else.

Members don't see this ad :)
i have an interview coming up with the weather forecast saying 80% chance of rain. D: any recommendations on shoes / etc. / how to deal?

(this mainly coming from a san diegan who's not used to rain ^^ but also because i'm wary of walking around in interview clothes in a wet lawn)

If it's someplace reasonably warm this time of year (CA, Florida, South), I suggest you pick a skirt so you don't have to worry about your pant hems getting soaked if your heels sink into the ground or if there are puddles.
I'd wear heels as usual and avoid grass/lawns. You should check that water won't ruin your shoes (usually, leather for decent heels should be OK as long as it doesn't stay submerged for a long time- no suede, patent and most matte leather should be fine). If you bring a few wet naps, you can use them to clean off thin layers of mud from puddle water.
Bring an umbrella and good luck!

would a sideways cross necklace be okay to wear, or might someone be offended?

Why take the risk?

If you think it may offend someone then don't wear the necklace.

Hmm well I always wear this necklace so I didn't think of taking it off when taking my admissions photo. Should I retake it for sending to schools in the future?

Wear a high-cut shirt under your jacket that hides the necklace. :) Though, honestly, I doubt anyone would judge you if they even noticed.

I would recommend bringing a pair of flats in your purse. Sometimes there is a lot of walking to be done (including stairs) on the tour. One girl told me (can't remember what school) that the school told all the girls to bring a pair of sneakers. During the tour all the girls were wearing sneakers with their business attire.

So I know that if you wear a tank/shell under a jacket, you should keep the jacket on, but what about a short sleeve button up? Or should you not show arms at all?

So I know that if you wear a tank/shell under a jacket, you should keep the jacket on, but what about a short sleeve button up? Or should you not show arms at all?

I wore a short sleeve dress shirt and I took my jacket off during lunch; It's really uncomfortable eating in a suit jacket. I would recommend leaving it on during everything else (especially interviews), but if it gets super hot during the campus tour or something then I don't think anyone would mind if you took it off.

I need help!

So I'm planning on going to some second look weekends, and while some schools don't specify, some schools say we should dress "business casual". What counts as business casual anyway? I'm going to wear the black pants from my suit, but do I still need to wear the suit jacket with it? And as for a shirt/blouse, does it have to be button up? :confused: I searched online but people's definition of business casual were so different! It'd be great if I can get some examples... while we are on this topic, if a school doesn't specify, how should we dress for second look?

I need help!

So I'm planning on going to some second look weekends, and while some schools don't specify, some schools say we should dress "business casual". What counts as business casual anyway? I'm going to wear the black pants from my suit, but do I still need to wear the suit jacket with it? And as for a shirt/blouse, does it have to be button up? :confused: I searched online but people's definition of business casual were so different! It'd be great if I can get some examples... while we are on this topic, if a school doesn't specify, how should we dress for second look?

Definitely don't need to wear the suit jacket. No one at my revisit day wore a suit jacket. Just wear those pants with a nice blouse (button-up or just nice blouse/top). Don't stress out about it. The reason we needed to look nice was we went on a tour of the hospital, so we couldn't be seen in sweats, flip flops, etc.

I would still err on the business side of business casual. No need for a full suit, but many of the same 'rules' apply:
Shoes - Closed toe and/or closed heel, conservative heel height, conservative color
Bottoms - No low-rider pants, loose in butt/hip/thighs, conservative color. If it has belt loops, wear a belt! Business casual is a good time to wear a skirt that doesn't have a matching suit jacket. Look for fabrics that don't cling (no jersey!) and wear panty hose. Colored skirts or conservative patterns are okay. Go for length lower than your finger tips when standing with arms at side (at least).
Tops - No bare shoulders or upper arms (I only do cap sleeves under a suit jacket). Make sure you wear the right bra. Blouse is okay, but make sure it is not in any way considered a t-shirt.
When I tuck in a button down shirt I sometimes feel the proportions are all off. Try putting on a longish cardigan or jacket and rolling the sleeves (of jacket & shirt) to 3/4.

I haven't attended a second look, but that is my 2 cents from working in various business casual environments.

Good luck!

i had the same question regarding second looks. XD

are non-suit pants (khakis, etc.) okay? do skirts need to be pencil skirts?

Khaki or brown colored pants might be okay. I personally think that khakis and a polo look much more casual on women than men. Avoid pants with any cargo style pockets for business casual.

I don't think skirts have to be pencil style. They should however, be lined or the person should wear a slip.

One day at work I saw a lady with converse high heels. 1. who knew they made such a thing and 2. NOT the appropriate mix for business-casual :laugh:

Khaki or brown colored pants might be okay. I personally think that khakis and a polo look much more casual on women than men. Avoid pants with any cargo style pockets for business casual.

I don't think skirts have to be pencil style. They should however, be lined or the person should wear a slip.

One day at work I saw a lady with converse high heels. 1. who knew they made such a thing and 2. NOT the appropriate mix for business-casual :laugh:

I would avoid the khakis and a polo combo--you will look like either a golf pro or a campus tour guide!

Completely agree about khakis seeming much more casual on women. I think its because while men's khakis are cut more like slacks, women's tend to be cut either like tight jeans or like linen pants.

2ndCareer is right, you don't need a pencil skirt, but try to stick to an A-line (no flowy peasant skirts).

And O.M.G...

converse_high_heel_sneakers.jpg

For ladies interviewing this upcoming cycle, I have one style recommendation: don't underestimate the power blow out. My hair is unruly and has a mind of its own, so every city I interviewed in I found a salon and got a blow out the evening before my interview. It's great not having to lug around a blow dryer/other styling tools or products when you're traveling, and having my hair already done saved me time on the mornings of my interviews. Not to mention, looking polished is a great confidence booster on a day when you really need it. Another really helpful thing that I didn't expect was the chance to talk to a complete stranger outside the med school environment for an hour in a city you're thinking about spending four years of your life in and getting their honest take on neighborhoods/ things to do.

For ladies interviewing this upcoming cycle, I have one style recommendation: don't underestimate the power blow out. My hair is unruly and has a mind of its own, so every city I interviewed in I found a salon and got a blow out the evening before my interview. It's great not having to lug around a blow dryer/other styling tools or products when you're traveling, and having my hair already done saved me time on the mornings of my interviews. Not to mention, looking polished is a great confidence booster on a day when you really need it. Another really helpful thing that I didn't expect was the chance to talk to a complete stranger outside the med school environment for an hour in a city you're thinking about spending four years of your life in and getting their honest take on neighborhoods/ things to do.
I did the same thing the morning of my interview. I am not talented with hair (or any other style matters) and always feel kind of frumpy with mine. I know it seems minor, but having it done professionally helped give a confidence boost. Totally worth the $20 + tip.

I am going to attempt to resurrect this thread since we're about to run into interview season. More importantly, Nordstrom's anniversary sale just started.

I think this suit is incredible, but also out of my budget:

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/lafayet...origin=category&fashionColor=&resultback=1017

This one is nice, too, though I worry that the paneling wouldn't play nice with tailoring (I'm skinny with wide shoulders and I usually can't wear anything that's not stretchy)

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/classiq...origin=category&fashionColor=&resultback=1105

Does anyone have thoughts on heels when you're tall? I'm 5'10" and I get self-conscious, but I think I look good in a 1" (or 2" maximum) heel. I also wear a size 11 though, and it feels like no one designs pumps (or ANY shoes) for that size...they just take the size 7 design and stretch it, and it looks funny.

I am going to attempt to resurrect this thread since we're about to run into interview season. More importantly, Nordstrom's anniversary sale just started.

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/lafayet...origin=category&fashionColor=&resultback=1017

This one is nice, too, though I worry that the paneling wouldn't play nice with tailoring (I'm skinny with wide shoulders and I usually can't wear anything that's not stretchy)

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/classiq...origin=category&fashionColor=&resultback=1105

Does anyone have thoughts on heels when you're tall? I'm 5'10" and I get self-conscious, but I think I look good in a 1" (or 2" maximum) heel. I also wear a size 11 though, and it feels like no one designs pumps (or ANY shoes) for that size...they just take the size 7 design and stretch it, and it looks funny.

I'm not sure where you live, but if there's a Burlington Coat Factory or Ross, check their selections out for suits. I've gotten amazing deals (200 dollar suits/ dresses/ business outfits for under 50 dollars).

As you are tall, I'd stick with a short heel, probably a 1" max, especially for comfort -- esp. if the schools you interview give tours. I'd also recommend investing in some Dr. Schol's inserts- they even make some for heels! woot.

For shoes check- once again check out Burlington Coat Factory, Ross or even Marshalls & online @ Aerosoles:

http://www.aerosoles.com/eng/product/cheerful/cheerful (a little more expensive, but they make in size 11)

http://www.aerosoles.com/eng/product/linguini/linguini (not sure of your particular style, but these are 39.99 in size 11)

I have a couple questions:
1) I have black heels that I will be wearing with black pants. Do I need to wear some black trouser socks or nylons or something? Would it be weird to see my skin if I sit down? I only ask because my feet slip out of the shoes when I wear socks and I even have heel grips in them already...
2) Are black patent leather flats appropriate instead of heels?
3) I have a short sleeved jacket that I am wearing over a light blue lace cami. My problem is that the jacket is a bit on the short side and you can see the cami coming out from the bottom. Is this a bad look, or should I try to find a shorter cami that won't show?
4) I live in Minnesota and have a nice peacoat to wear if I interview in the winter, but it is navy blue and my pants are black....will this matter? Don't know if I can afford a new jacket....

Thanks!

1) I have black heels that I will be wearing with black pants. Do I need to wear some black trouser socks or nylons or something? Would it be weird to see my skin if I sit down? I only ask because my feet slip out of the shoes when I wear socks and I even have heel grips in them already...
3) I have a short sleeved jacket that I am wearing over a light blue lace cami. My problem is that the jacket is a bit on the short side and you can see the cami coming out from the bottom. Is this a bad look, or should I try to find a shorter cami that won't show?
4) I live in Minnesota and have a nice peacoat to wear if I interview in the winter, but it is navy blue and my pants are black....will this matter? Don't know if I can afford a new jacket....

Thanks!

1) IMO, I don't think it will matter.
2) Flats are completely fine. It seemed like more girls were wearing flats than heels at my interviews actually.
3) The general rule of thumb is to make sure your jacket is longer than your top underneath, or else it should probably be tucked in.
4) No, it doesn't matter at all. Besides, you'll be taking off the coat once you're inside the building anyway for the interview.

Thanks!

1) I don't think there's any reason to wear socks with your pantsuit unless they would be more comfortable.

2) Yes, if they are sturdy and not the ballet flat type.

3) Tuck your cami into your pants if it shows below the suit jacket.

4) No, you should be fine.

I'm also 5'10'' and I think I'm going with patent flats. I'm not a big fan of low heels (1-2'') though.

What color shoes an bag should I wear with a navy suit... Beige or black?

What color shoes an bag should I wear with a navy suit... Beige or black?

I think that a deep red would look really nice, or even a brown. When you do black with a navy suit it all kind of blends in together and doesn't look as good. I also think that beige shoes would really stand out with a navy suit, but not necessarily in a good way.

The link below is to show the color red I am talking about.

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/stuart-...origin=category&fashionColor=&resultback=6467

Good luck on your interviews!

I think that a deep red would look really nice, or even a brown. When you do black with a navy suit it all kind of blends in together and doesn't look as good. I also think that beige shoes would really stand out with a navy suit, but not necessarily in a good way.

The link below is to show the color red I am talking about.

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/stuart-...origin=category&fashionColor=&resultback=6467

Good luck on your interviews!

Thank you!

I wasn't sure if the beige/nude because it is a skirt suit.. I wore nude shoes with it for my research presentation.

Also, I've been reading all sorts of stuff on interview suits, so I might as well ask now. Is a fitted pencil skirt suit of proper length appropriate or would something less for fitting be better?

Oh, for some reason I was envisioning a pantsuit when you were asking about what color would look best. Beige shoes with a navy skirt would look good.

I think a pencil skirt is a great idea. They look very professional as long as they are not skin tight and to the knee.

Does anyone have any tips for where to buy suits for someone on a budget?

I have always gotten mine at Ann Taylor when they are on sale. Sign up for their emails and they usually have sales a few times a year where clearance items are an extra 50% off! My suit that I wear now cost me around $50 and no one would ever know.

If you can't wait, places like Nordstrom Rack or TJMaxx have good deals if you don't mind digging through!

I got mine at Maurices....love that store! I got the whole suit and a blouse to go under it for under $100.

I am a woman with super short (read: pixie) hair. I generally style with a little product and spray in the morning and the result is somewhere in the feminine and slightly tousled range. Is this alright? I'm scared to try and overtame it and end up looking masculine. >.<

New York and Co, if you get them in a good sale. Not the highest quality, but cheap-ish and easy to find.