Women's Interview Clothing #3!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I've posted some of my thoughts on both the makeup and bag topic earlier--there are more good pearls of wisdom in this forum if you use the search function.

ahh!! Thanks, Lucille! I definitely read and took your advice to heart earlier, just was wondering what people thought about the results of this study "~more makeup makes you look more competent" up until way past what common sense would seem to dictate.

personally, i need to practice the powder/whatever foundation thing if I'm going to do that, because I can't seem to make it work without looking fake, tacky, and flaky\dusty. I feel like my pores are less evident if I don't wear it!

Members don't see this ad.

ahh!! Thanks, Lucille! I definitely read and took your advice to heart earlier, just was wondering what people thought about the results of this study "~more makeup makes you look more competent" up until way past what common sense would seem to dictate.

personally, i need to practice the powder/whatever foundation thing if I'm going to do that, because I can't seem to make it work without looking fake, tacky, and flaky\dusty. I feel like my pores are less evident if I don't wear it!

My thoughts on this are that you really shouldn't wear foundation or powder if you aren't used to it and don't feel comfortable with it. If you have some kind of blemishes or uneven skin tone use a tinted moisturizer and concealer to cover them. Tinted moisturizer usually just feels like moisturizer with some color, so you shouldn't feel a big difference. Also, if you go ahead and wear foundation, make sure it matches your skin tone as close as possible and don't put on too much. IMO, too much foundation looks a lot worse than none at all.

one word: Sephora.

seriously, they'll be happy to show you all sorts of powders and foundations and they're not pushy about making you buy every product you try. Plus, it's an investment - a little goes a long way.

On the makeup note - I saw a girl with sparkly colored eyeshadow at an interview last month. tsk tsk.

Members don't see this ad :)
So a couple questions for interview day:

My blazer, skirt, and pumps (and alternative flats) are all black. And my purse is a big, dark maroon-y brown (fake) leather bag with gold buckles. I'm not so sure how professional it is, and I think the color might be way off. Do I need to invest in a nice black leather tote or something? Opinions?

This is the more important issue: I have big, curly hair. Huge. Like this, but darker and thicker:
halle-berry-curly-long-hair-styles.jpg

I've heard that my hair in its natural, super curly state is unprofessional-looking, but it takes two hours for a professional hair dresser to straighten that thing and I definitely won't have time to get it done before my interviews - and it doesn't stay that way for long, either. The big question is, what do I do with it? Is it actually professional down? Do I need to wear it up? Half up half down?
Opinions would be greatly appreciated. =)

Last edited:

My thoughts on this are that you really shouldn't wear foundation or powder if you aren't used to it and don't feel comfortable with it. If you have some kind of blemishes or uneven skin tone use a tinted moisturizer and concealer to cover them. Tinted moisturizer usually just feels like moisturizer with some color, so you shouldn't feel a big difference. Also, if you go ahead and wear foundation, make sure it matches your skin tone as close as possible and don't put on too much. IMO, too much foundation looks a lot worse than none at all.

Moisturizer is my secret weapon--I admit, I splurge on a quality brand one, but I try to justify it to myself because it lets me get away with just some pressed powder, no concealer or foundation :)

I really would stay away from foundation if you're not used to wearing it. A loose or pressed powder won't look flaky if you moisturize before and use a larger brush to dust it over your face. The advice about Sephora was good too--a good tip I once heard was to find a sales associate that has similar coloring to you or whose makeup you like.

Good luck!

On the makeup note - I saw a girl with sparkly colored eyeshadow at an interview last month. tsk tsk.

O no! Maybe she took that "glamorous" look too much to heart!

So a couple questions for interview day:

My blazer, skirt, and pumps (and alternative flats) are all black. And my purse is a big, dark maroon-y brown (fake) leather bag with gold buckles. I'm not so sure how professional it is, and I think the color might be way off. Do I need to invest in a nice black leather tote or something? Opinions?

This is the more important issue: I have big, curly hair. Huge. This is on a very tame day:
I've heard that my hair in its natural, super curly state is unprofessional-looking, but it takes two hours for a professional hair dresser to straighten that thing and I definitely won't have time to get it done before my interviews - and it doesn't stay that way for long, either. The big question is, what do I do with it? Is it actually professional down? Do I need to wear it up? Half up half down?

you want to break up the sea of black and accessories are a good way to do it. though technically there's nothing wrong with a black tote on black and black...no one is going to be evaluating you for your color coordination or lack thereof. I do think pairing black and brown is a tricky thing though, so you may want to find a different bag, especially if you have the $. Navy's a good color.

Re: hair, i've met a few girls on the interview trail with hair like yours. one had it half up/down. another...i was admiring her gorgeous big curls and she told me a leetle secret: she got a blowout the day before, and I was like :wow: and another girl went to town on her hair with a straightener and put it in a low pony. i thought they all looked good. except for the one with a giant bedazzled clip :rolleyes:

ps: you may want to take down your pic, unless it's not you or you don't mind lacking anonymity on here

Can you straighten it a night or two before, or is your hair the type that gets greasy if it isn't washed every day? Or was the issue that it is too humid where you live? Two hours really isn't that long for hair straightening, IMO. It takes hair dressers 5 to 7 hours to straighten mine. When I had an interview, I just used 3 hours the night before to straighten it myself and then touched it up in the morning.

Anyway, if your curls are as defined as Halle's are, I think you'll look fine natural. Might want to do an updo in case it gets too hot or frizzes, though.

This is the more important issue: I have big, curly hair. Huge. Like this, but darker and thicker:
halle-berry-curly-long-hair-styles.jpg

fyi- ann taylor is having a 40% off sale and this code 51100001016 works as 30% on top of an order over 100$. PERFECT opp to get a suit if you haven't already. also free shipping over 150$ and free to return it to the store (eg if you change your mind you can just go return it all for no shipping costs). I already bought my suit tho the tropical wool gray 3-piece suit is calling my name... it would cost only 200$ for a really really nice suit but i just don't need it!

(I saw this at www.extrapetite.com - credit goes there. just thought I'd share. Don't know how long it'll last tho).

What do you think about pins on suits? I have a grey suit and beautiful little hummingbird pin (about 1 inch tall, 1 1/2' wide). It is white crystals with a blue austrian crystal eye. Is it too distracting? Too silly? In case you were wondering why hummingbird, they mean a lot to me (my father is a professional bird photographer, and my hugest role model. I've loved hummingbirds my whole life because they remind me of him). But taken out of context, how would it look?

What do you think about pins on suits? I have a grey suit and beautiful little hummingbird pin (about 1 inch tall, 1 1/2' wide). It is white crystals with a blue austrian crystal eye. Is it too distracting? Too silly? In case you were wondering why hummingbird, they mean a lot to me (my father is a professional bird photographer, and my hugest role model. I've loved hummingbirds my whole life because they remind me of him). But taken out of context, how would it look?

I would think that as long as it's not enormous or really flashy, you would be fine. Especially given your interesting story and the meaning of it for you. A hummingbird is pretty non-offensive. I think someone posted general rules for acceptable sizes of pins and necklaces earlier in this thread.

Here you go!

I think it could look quite nice, but I would either wear a lapel pin OR a necklace, not both.

Guidelines for the pin design would follow those of a necklace pendant: small (less than 1"), metal or precious stone material, and tasteful/classic in design.

The pin should be worn on your left lapel, so that you may wear both a name tag on your righthand side as well as the pin. If you consider the corner of the break (upper notch) of your lapel as part of a square rotated 45 degrees, the pin should be centered in this square.

I think 1.5" long is totally fine on the sort of pin you described; the point is just to avoid enormous brooches that would weight down your lapel.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm so sad. I bought this amazing skirt - http://www.hm.com/us/product/94652?article=94652-B - but there's no matching jacket. it's not solid gray, it's a faintly noticeable check pattern. anyone know of any matching jackets? haha. the top and bottom have to match, right? i can't wear a solid gray jacket or a solid black jacket?

also i have a white button-down shirt but the buttons are black. too trendy?

does a button-down shirt have to be a typical collared shirt with buttons all the way up? i have another shirt that stops around the chest area but would it be appropriate with a tank top underneath it?

also, tights - is nude or black better?

I'm so sad. I bought this amazing skirt - http://www.hm.com/us/product/94652?article=94652-B - but there's no matching jacket. it's not solid gray, it's a faintly noticeable check pattern. anyone know of any matching jackets? haha. the top and bottom have to match, right? i can't wear a solid gray jacket or a solid black jacket?

I saw that same skirt in the store and almost bought it! So cute! :)

Mismatched suits should be okay as long as they look good. I doubt the interviewer will be thinking about whether your outfit is against the interview dress code, if there is one. Ask a few (older) adults to take a look at it and tell you what they think.

I'm going to wear a brown blazer with a houndstooth pattern over a sage-green dress to my interviews, and I was told by my premed advisor that I look great in them at a mock interview (although she didn't comment on whether it was appropriate, I think it's safe to assume it is).

bump for more opinions!

what color could i match with it? black and light gray seems too severe. gray but not checkered pattern seems too similar.

bump for more opinions!

what color could i match with it? black and light gray seems too severe. gray but not checkered pattern seems too similar.

I vote for black blazer! The skirt in the picture looks really good with the black top the model is wearing (but obviously I wouldn't wear that style top for the interview). Maybe wear the skirt when you go shopping around to make sure whatever you get works with it.

I think it would also look cute if you wear a gray shell top underneath the black blazer. Just an idea :).

I vote for black blazer! The skirt in the picture looks really good with the black top the model is wearing (but obviously I wouldn't wear that style top for the interview). Maybe wear the skirt when you go shopping around to make sure whatever you get works with it.

I think it would also look cute if you wear a gray shell top underneath the black blazer. Just an idea :).

I like what she said. Another way to go would be navy - gray and deep blue tones complement each other well. I think you've got a lot of options. Cute skirt! :thumbup:

I like what she said. Another way to go would be navy - gray and deep blue tones complement each other well. I think you've got a lot of options. Cute skirt! :thumbup:

could I wear a navy shirt, gray skirt, and black jacket?
navy and black seem like a bad idea.
or maybe a navy shirt and jacket?

i might just go with gray skirt, white shirt, black jacket since that's what's in my closet right now :D

also, tights - is nude or black better?

You want to wear nude/beige pantyhose, not tights. :)

i might just go with gray skirt, white shirt, black jacket since that's what's in my closet right now :D

I would lean towards a navy blazer and white shirt. Ooh, or a black jacket and light pink shirt. But just try out a bunch of different combinations to see what looks best!

I like that too :). The navy jacket also works, but I would probably wear it with a white shirt (or gray). I think the black and navy combination might be too dark on top.

You want to wear nude/beige pantyhose, not tights. :)

I would lean towards a navy blazer and white shirt. Ooh, or a black jacket and light pink shirt. But just try out a bunch of different combinations to see what looks best!

sorry, i say tights when i mean pantyhose and leggings when i mean tights. bad habit!
i like your ideas! now i have to find a navy blazer or a pink shirt...

I like that too :). The navy jacket also works, but I would probably wear it with a white shirt (or gray). I think the black and navy combination might be too dark on top.

thanks for the ideas!

any ideas about the following button-down shirts?

a white button-down shirt but the buttons are black. too trendy?

does a button-down shirt have to be a typical collared shirt with buttons all the way up? i have another shirt that stops around the chest area but would it be appropriate with a tank top underneath it?

sorry, i say tights when i mean pantyhose and leggings when i mean tights. bad habit!
i like your ideas! now i have to find a navy blazer or a pink shirt...

thanks for the ideas!

any ideas about the following button-down shirts?

a white button-down shirt but the buttons are black. too trendy?

I think the white blouse/black buttons would be fine as long as the buttons were small. As for the collared shirt, it doesn't have to be one that buttons all the way up to your neck. Just be sure that it doesn't show any cleavage (and make sure it doesn't when you bend over!).

I think the white blouse/black buttons would be fine as long as the buttons were small. As for the collared shirt, it doesn't have to be one that buttons all the way up to your neck. Just be sure that it doesn't show any cleavage (and make sure it doesn't when you bend over!).

thanks!! don't worry, i don't think i have any cleavage TO show, but i will wear a camisole under anyway just to be safe. :)

As long as your shirt isn't sheer, I like to put two tiny pins right above and below the top button that I button. This prevents gappage and keeps me from having to button the shirt up to my chin!

Yay I can actually read and use the information in this thread now :)

So my first interview is coming up and I'm debating whether or not to wear a pendant necklace that I made. It's a circle about an inch across with a gold wire wrap on a regular gold chain (not super thin, but not thick either). I think it looks simple and classy, but my parents think the interviewer will think I'm trying to make some kind of statement and it's better to not wear anything at all.

I'm already wearing a sage green dress with a dark beige jacket, which is a little different, but still conservative, IMO. There's quite a bit of empty space at the neckline, especially since my dress goes up to my collar and is solid green. Would the necklace be "making a statement"?

P.S. I'm an art major, but I don't want to make this my selling point.

It sounds lovely, and is not large enough to be unreasonably distracting. Best case, it's a great conversation piece; worst case (provided you have greater crafting skills than a 5 year old -- since you're an art major I'll assume you're good here :) ), it fills the empty space.

I'm having the most god awful time finding an affordable (<$100) black tote. I had a great one, and the straps just ripped last week due to overuse. I could probably go up to $150. Anyone have any suggestions?

I'm having the most god awful time finding an affordable (<$100) black tote. I had a great one, and the straps just ripped last week due to overuse. I could probably go up to $150. Anyone have any suggestions?

NineWest, NineWest, NineWest!! :D They are sold at Macy's.

NineWest, NineWest, NineWest!! :D They are sold at Macy's.

Seconding the Nine West endorsement - although I found a heavily discounted Nine West tote at Marshall's for $30. Check out TJ Maxx, Marshall's, etc!

To all you polish wearers:

As a follow-up to my previous questions about nail polish, I found the perfect shade for interviews: OPI Bubble Bath! With just 2 thin coats it looks very sheer and you can still see the natural nail. If you prefer, you can also make it opaque by adding another coat. Either way, totally subtle and professional.

Sheer:
DSC01134.JPG

Opaque:
IMG_0087.JPG

Good choice!! That's my professional color as well. I prefer it sheer because a tiny chip will be less noticeable.

As a follow-up to my previous questions about nail polish, I found the perfect shade for interviews: OPI Bubble Bath! With just 2 thin coats it looks very sheer and you can still see the natural nail. If you prefer, you can also make it opaque by adding another coat. Either way, totally subtle and professional.

Sheer:
DSC01134.JPG

Opaque:
IMG_0087.JPG

My purchases for the day!

Liz Claiborne Alligator tote (JCPenney)
Retail: $70, Paid (with sales/discounts/coupons/etc): $35
purse.png

Banana republic dark gray suit
Retail: $200 top, $80 skirt, Paid (with sales/discounts/coupons/etc): $196
suittop.png

skirt.png

Sofft Pumps from Nordstrom Rack
Retail: $105, Paid (with sales/discounts/coupons/etc): $60
shoes.png

Blue Oxford (H&M), picture not the same, but similar
Retail/Paid: $20
Old-Navy-Womens-Oxford-Shirts.jpg

Throw in some pantyhose, nail polish, jewelry: $50

Not to mention the extra sweaters/shirts/tights/scarves I picked up...probably spent over $500 today :(

Sheer:
DSC01134.JPG

Opaque:
IMG_0087.JPG

Eh...I personally think nail polish looks really gross unless it's completely clear.

Is a pant suit OK for girls? I am not a fan of skirts and would definitely feel more comfortable wearing a pant suit all day. Also, my suit comes with a pretty scarf to wear underneath the jacket. So is it OK to wear that instead of a white shirt?

Pant suits are totally fine, but please don't just wear a scarf under your suit jacket!!

LOL I will wear a black tank top but the scarf will cover it. I meant is it ok not to wear a button down shirt that actually shows underneath the jacket?

I would recommend a button down or a blouse rather than a tanktop, even if the scarf covers it. Imagine something happens and you need to take your jacket off? It would be awkward if you only had a tanktop and a scarf at that point!

My purchases for the day!

Liz Claiborne Alligator tote (JCPenney)
Retail: $70, Paid (with sales/discounts/coupons/etc): $35
purse.png

Banana republic dark gray suit
Retail: $200 top, $80 skirt, Paid (with sales/discounts/coupons/etc): $196
suittop.png

skirt.png

Sofft Pumps from Nordstrom Rack
Retail: $105, Paid (with sales/discounts/coupons/etc): $60
shoes.png

Blue Oxford (H&M), picture not the same, but similar
Retail/Paid: $20
Old-Navy-Womens-Oxford-Shirts.jpg

Throw in some pantyhose, nail polish, jewelry: $50

Not to mention the extra sweaters/shirts/tights/scarves I picked up...probably spent over $500 today :(

Just to try and put that into perspective if you had gotten your suit from jcrew/BR for full price it would have been $300 at least. A non-iron collared shirt from brooks brothers can run you $100. cole haan nike air pumps can cost $130 and a coach tote would be $300. Add in fancy pantyhose, nailpolish and designer jewelry and you're looking at double what you spent today, easy.

I'd say you made out like a bandit today. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: nice job. :highfive:

Is a pant suit OK for girls? I am not a fan of skirts and would definitely feel more comfortable wearing a pant suit all day. Also, my suit comes with a pretty scarf to wear underneath the jacket. So is it OK to wear that instead of a white shirt?

I've worn pantsuits to every one of my interviews thus far. I have a skirt suit I may switch into the rotation at some point, but I just love my suit. I haven't been the only one.

The consensus is that you should wear what you feel more comfortable in.

I got mine at Target for under 30 dollars!

I've said it before, but just to reiterate--it's possible to find brand name suits at places like Marshalls and TJMaxx. I got mine for $70. Total.

I got my gray pant suit at jcpenney for $70, shoes for $30. I'm just gonna find a blouse or something in my closet to wear underneath the jacket.... hmmm i may have to buy dress socks but maybe I can make do with tights or pantyhose.

Can I wear black suede boots with a pant suit or is a pump preferred? they're not completely flat

Can I wear black suede boots with a pant suit or is a pump preferred? they're not completely flat

Depends on how dressy the boot is. If the boot has a heel (not just a wedge or platform) you could be ok, but in general, leather is dressier than suede for.