Women's Interview Clothing #3!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
By sloppy I mean that they were loose in the back. This usually would not be bad, but the loose fit combined with back pockets looks frumpy on me! I could get the back pockets cut out and sewn shut, but again: $$$

I see. I'm surprised you would choose pants with pockets on them if you are curvy; they tend to add bulk where none is needed.

Do you (or anyone else) know a good brand for a suit jacket that defines the waist? If not, I will go with the Ann Taylor and hope for the best!

I am less curvy so can't advise there but I've seen some with nipped in waists at AT, WHBM and Talbots. Which AT jacket are you looking at? Can you post a link? BTW AT has more jackets on line which are not available in stores.

@Winged Scapula , your advice is amazing! Thank you for sharing this great picture of your grandfather. Such a handsome gentleman! I haven't seen a man dressed like that since... ever!

YW. I love that picture of him - my memories of him always include the pipe, so I'm pleased this picture has him holding one.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
@Winged Scapula Most women I know only wear business casual, or a sort of trendy business professional. I work in a laboratory within a medical school right now and even with this experience, I so infrequently see women looking tastefully, professionally dressed.

I just arrived back from a 3-hour shopping trip to find a jacket/pants suit and had no luck with a variety of department stores (Macys, Nordstrom) and other stores (Limited, BR, etc.). I hate to be crude, but there was a lot of stretching around the crotch area, but the next size up always looked sloppy. My best fit was with an Ann Taylor suit that looked boxy on me. Nothing is giving me that "sharp" look that I'm going for, and I'm hesitant to spend lots of $$$ to get the suit tailored. Skirts are often uncomfortable on my curvy physique:confused:

Thanks!

Fellow curvy girl here. Did you try any skirts instead of pants? I had a terrible time finding flattering pants but skirts hit my thinnest points. I ended up getting a size that fit my hips and getting it taken in at the waist. Also I had the best luck with Tahari.

Fellow curvy girl here. Did you try any skirts instead of pants? I had a terrible time finding flattering pants but skirts hit my thinnest points. I ended up getting a size that fit my hips and getting it taken in at the waist. Also I had the best luck with Tahari.
The mention of Tahari got me thinking:

for curvy girls out there (I am not one), you will find brands and stores which cater to women and not juniors will fit better. Thus rather than places like Express and H&M, you'll have more luck elsewhere. AT tends to fit a large range as they have a number of "fit" styles: curvy, signature, modern and city. BR and Loft do this as well but but I can never remember the difference between the Kate, Martin et al.

At Macys think Tahari, Calvin Klein, Kasper over ones like Nine West, INC etc.

Reactions: 1 user
The mention of Tahari got me thinking:

for curvy girls out there (I am not one), you will find brands and stores which cater to women and not juniors will fit better. Thus rather than places like Express and H&M, you'll have more luck elsewhere. AT tends to fit a large range as they have a number of "fit" styles: curvy, signature, modern and city. BR and Loft do this as well but but I can never remember the difference between the Kate, Martin et al.

At Macys think Tahari, Calvin Klein, Kasper over ones like Nine West, INC etc.

Excellent suggestion -- Also try Talbots, and look for knits with 'body' and 'heft' to the fabric. NOT like T-shirt knits, but really good wool knits. If you've got a Nordstrom's Rack, Off Fifth or Neimann's Last Call near you, take a stroll through to see what they've got.

If you're curvy, a simple sheath dress with a longer jacket can be a great option. Getting a sheath dress tailored through the middle is NOT a big deal - those are easy adjustments. And the jacket can tone down curves where that's advisable.

Who to dress like on TV? Your best bets would be female politicians. Sarah Palin absolutely nailed the dress code while campaigning, so if you look for her on You Tube (and turn off the sound ;)), you might get some good ideas.

Reactions: 4 users
Alright I'm almost positive that I will be beaten for this, but I have to give it a try!

This jacket. I assume the 3/4 length sleeves make it a no-no? Also, WHBM has some truly stunning bustiers. Would one of these work as a top, assuming that it was worn appropriately and not low, and that a jacket was left on over it at all times (meaning no bare shoulders. It should be indistinguishable from a shirt with a square neckline).

Also, WHBM has some truly stunning bustiers. Would one of these work as a top, assuming that it was worn appropriately and not low, and that a jacket was left on over it at all times (meaning no bare shoulders. It should be indistinguishable from a shirt with a square neckline).

I am going to violently throw my 2 cents in here--

I looked up these bustiers and yes, while they would be hidden by a jacket and more closely resemble a spaghetti strap tank than a cleavage-heavy bustier, this idea seems very risky to me:

What if for some reason you do have to take your jacket off? Then you will be left in your bustier. While the idea of a sleeveless button up shirt has been tossed around on this topic, these still have a bit of modesty/professionalism to them should a jacket have to come off. I am a proponent for having your top still look acceptable even if it's "always" going to be hidden by a jacket.

Alright I'm almost positive that I will be beaten for this, but I have to give it a try!

This jacket. I assume the 3/4 length sleeves make it a no-no? Also, WHBM has some truly stunning bustiers. Would one of these work as a top, assuming that it was worn appropriately and not low, and that a jacket was left on over it at all times (meaning no bare shoulders. It should be indistinguishable from a shirt with a square neckline).
3/4 sleeves! Bustiers! There is no reason to risk your most important interview with either of these choices. If one of my students showed up at a mock interview in either of these she would be in receipt of an email from me, stat.

In my defense for the 3/4 length sleeves, my arms resemble those of a t-rex, which becomes painfully evident with full-length sleeves. Point taken, however!

Reactions: 1 users
Is it appropriate to take off the jacket if wearing a (otherwise very professional) sleeveless dress, if it is exceedingly hot on the tour for example?

Sounds legendary. But for the wrong reasons...
For a dinner date? Could be fabulous --

Is it appropriate to take off the jacket if wearing a (otherwise very professional) sleeveless dress, if it is exceedingly hot on the tour for example?

Yes, absolutely. Under those circumstances, it shows confidence and common sense -- and illustrates why the 'otherwise very professional' is so important.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
FYI: on my first interview we had to take our blazers off to be sized for the school's white coats. I think this school is a bit of an outlier in doing the coat sizing, but it was awkward for the girls who were wearing slightly-less-than-professional tops.

Sounds legendary. But for the wrong reasons...
For a dinner date? Could be fabulous --
Haha, point taken! I fully admit that my taste in clothes is a little too liberal for med school interviews.

I still stand by my opinion that 3/4 length sleeves on a jacket can be professional (although as I said, point taken, it's not worth the risk in this case)!

Personally, I wish we could just wear scrubs to interviews. That's how you're likely to see us when/if (I'm a re-applicant and a realist myself, not putting anyone down here) we get in, and really all the stuff done for interviews now - makeup, suits, jewelry, scarves, fancy bags, etc... it's all window dressing. It just makes the person you're evaluating a little more pleasant to look at during the interview.

Also, @Winged Scapula and anyone else who would like to weigh in...

What is the maximum number of elements from this list to which an interviewee should limit themselves? Last cycle I'm pretty sure I had... 3 of them at once. Also, how does one toe the line on finding alternates without going into "what on earth is she wearing?!?" territory? Many guides online list all of those elements as "the job interview" perfect uniform....

A suit is not, in and of itself, dowdy. It's the way candidates are wearing it:

- black suit
- white button up shirt
- small pearl stud earrings
- rounded toe black pumps, with < 2 inch heel or flats
- perhaps a "dainty" necklace or single strand of 16" pearls
- hair in bun
- librarian type glasses
- no makeup

It shows no thought, no personality and no effort. Each element of the above is fine I it's own but when brought together leads to that impression.

Personally, I wish we could just wear scrubs to interviews. That's how you're likely to see us when/if (I'm a re-applicant and a realist myself, not putting anyone down here) we get in, and really all the stuff done for interviews now - makeup, suits, jewelry, scarves, fancy bags, etc... it's all window dressing. It just makes the person you're evaluating a little more pleasant to look at during the interview.

What is the maximum number of elements from this list to which an interviewee should limit themselves? Last cycle I'm pretty sure I had... 3 of them at once. Also, how does one toe the line on finding alternates without going into "what on earth is she wearing?!?" territory? Many guides online list all of those elements as "the job interview" perfect uniform....
Choose as many as you are comfortable with. This is a safe list. Use modest modifications (color in the shell, pony instead of bun..) and excellent fit to express your (business) style. Elegant is always better than fancy.

The interview (including attire) is one of the ways we assess that you know what is expected of you, even in uncommon situations. It shows your adaptability, and the quality of your research (in this case, what to wear to a medical school interview). It shows your attention to detail and it shows that you recognize the honor that you are being considered for. I submit that it is not window dressing at all.

Reactions: 3 users

I'll take a stab at this --

Either your suit or your top should be at least a little bit interesting. So a plain black suit is fine, but is improved by a bright shell or blouse. A suit that's a little more interesting requires a 'background' blouse to avoid being ostentatious. Both can be plain if you add interest somewhere else, but that's tougher to pull off appropriately.

The low heels and 'librarian bun' combine to really tone down 'sexy' -- sometimes to the point of being unintentionally comic. (You've seen that on TV, right?) Again, probably only one or the other, if your outfit or curves require 'toning down'. If your outfit is not borderline too sexy, you can wear somewhat higher heels (I'd say up to 3.5", maybe 4" IF you wear a larger sized shoe). And if you're wearing pants or are very tall and slim, you can wear lower heels if you want to.

Keep your make-up low key; but also be aware that 'no makeup' isn't generally a very polished look. If you've got great skin, there's no need for foundation, but a little mascara and/or liner and some lip gloss/color really are needed.

Nothing at all wrong with pearls. But wear something interesting somewhere. If everything else is conservative, then make your 'something interesting' a piece of jewelry. A brooch is the 'least-risky' way to add jewelry interest. OR medium-sized earrings (up from small) if everything else runs to the boring.

I agree with @gyngyn completely: this is NOT "window dressing",

While you may wear scrubs on a daily basis, even I (an attending surgeon) do not, nor do my colleagues. Scrubs are worn in the OR, the ICU and the trauma bay. Elsewhere we are in dresses, suits and the like. Therefore, dressing professionally for your interview not only shows respect and understanding for the event but the knowledge that when interviewing you "dress for the job you want". So please don't see it as "window dressing" because it's more than that to us. I want to know that I'm not going to have to have a talk with students about their attire when they come to clinical rotations; the interview is a chance to assess that.

Since gyngyn and DokterMom have done an excellent job of addressing your question about the "elements", I don't have much more to say. The problem with on line guides is that they aren't addressing situations like med school and residency interviews where you have dozens of drones/clones in the same outfit; they are assuming 1 interviewee at a time. What was that Eminem video, "Slim Shady"? That's what it looks like on interview day with every female following those guides to a T. I almost look forward to seeing someone in a mini skirt or platform 5 inch heels to break up the monotony.

I'm afraid I made a mistake in purchasing these suits. Should I return both because the first is short-sleeved and the second is not a solid suit color? Must all suits be a solid color and have full length sleeves?

1) http://www.belk.com/AST/Main/Belk_Primary/PRD~11005174280M187/Tahari ASL Short Sleeve Pantsuit.jsp?navPath=Women/Shop/Suits/PantSuit&cm_vc=cross_sell_prod_page&cm_sp=CrossSell-_-ProductPage-_-11005174280M187

2) http://evan-picone.fashionstylist.c...van-picone-two-button-textured-pantsuit-9.jpg

I appreciate any input!
I cannot recommend either of these choices for a medical school interview.
No matter what, do not wear short sleeves!

Reactions: 3 users
I'm afraid I made a mistake in purchasing these suits. Should I return both because the first is short-sleeved and the second is not a solid suit color? Must all suits be a solid color and have full length sleeves?

1) http://s7d4.scene7.com/is/image/Belk?layer=0&src=1100517_4280M187_A_200_T10L00&layer=comp&$P_PROD$

2) http://evan-picone.fashionstylist.c...van-picone-two-button-textured-pantsuit-9.jpg

I appreciate any input!
I agree with @gyngyn ; neither of those suits work.

Both are too casual; short sleeve, brown, two toned. That's the problem - its not that "all suits" have to be a solid color and have full length sleeves. Its just that a medical school (like any job) interview is a more formal occasion.

Last edited:
Not that I need it to be that large, I just already have it (I dont want to purchase another bag just for the interviews!) and it would double as a nice carry on, but after searching some more I think the color is too light and its too casual.
I'd agree - its light and casual (but you already knew that). I also wanted to present the idea that women dragging these totes (large enough to be a carryon) to interviews lead interviewers to wonder what the heck you're bringing, and if you're a high maintenance type. A portfolio or a regular size small purse is all you need.

I'd agree - its light and casual (but you already knew that). I also wanted to present the idea that women dragging these totes (large enough to be a carryon) to interviews lead interviewers to wonder what the heck you're bringing, and if you're a high maintenance type. A portfolio or a regular size small purse is all you need.

I've read all the posts about needing to bring flats and makeup and extra hose and a sewing kit and an umbrella--are those not all legitimate things?

I've read all the posts about needing to bring flats and makeup and extra hose and a sewing kit and an umbrella--are those not all legitimate things?

Legitimate to carry in your CAR or pack into your suitcase certainly. Bring only what you'd need for a full-day's self-maintenance.

This is probably dumb, but are we allowed to bring our carry-on to the interview? I am leaving directly after each one since I can only get one day off from work :( I am bringing a tote as a carry-on, but would be carrying something like a portfolio during the interview, if necessary.

This is probably dumb, but are we allowed to bring our carry-on to the interview? I am leaving directly after each one since I can only get one day off from work :( I am bringing a tote as a carry-on, but would be carrying something like a portfolio during the interview, if necessary.
We expect applicants to bring luggage to the interview and we provide a safe place to store it. We will inevitably see it so keep that in mind!

Last edited by a moderator:
What are everyone's opinions on wearing all black? I'm a tiny person and I don't want to cut my figure into more parts than necessary (therefore highlighting my height, or lack thereof haha), but I also don't want to go into an interview looking like a part of a funeral procession.
I don't own anything else besides a black suit, black top, and black heels (and a pretty necklace that is not black).
Should I get something to break up the black?

What are everyone's opinions on wearing all black? I'm a tiny person and I don't want to cut my figure into more parts than necessary (therefore highlighting my height, or lack thereof haha), but I also don't want to go into an interview looking like a part of a funeral procession.
I don't own anything else besides a black suit, black top, and black heels (and a pretty necklace that is not black).
Should I get something to break up the black?
Wear a shell in a flattering color.

Reactions: 2 users
Wear a shell in a flattering color.
Thank you! I'll try my best to find one that's nice and affordable.
If I can't find one, do you think an all-black ensemble would reflect negatively on my candidacy?

Thank you! I'll try my best to find one that's nice and affordable.
If I can't find one, do you think an all-black ensemble would reflect negatively on my candidacy?
You can get a shell at Target!

This is perfectly acceptable and within the range of normal. As noted, we will have a place to store it.

Attachments

• upload_2014-9-2_0-0-21.png
    upload_2014-9-2_0-0-21.png
    745.4 KB · Views: 366
  • upload_2014-9-2_0-1-14.png
    upload_2014-9-2_0-1-14.png
    352.1 KB · Views: 385
  • upload_2014-9-2_0-2-23.png
    upload_2014-9-2_0-2-23.png
    450.8 KB · Views: 378
  • upload_2014-9-2_0-5-42.png
    upload_2014-9-2_0-5-42.png
    254.5 KB · Views: 393
Last edited:
Can I mix charcoal and black? I want to get the dress and skirt suit below, and ideally wear the suit jacket with the dress. Is that doable? Or the dress in black and the skirt suit in grey?

upload_2014-9-2_10-36-38.png

upload_2014-9-2_10-35-59.png

sorry if this has been answered somewhere, i tried combing through this and another thread but couldn't find the answer. is a portfolio like the first two pictures below the generally accepted "bag" for women? I feel like many of the portfolios would just look like oversized clutches on a woman (like the last two pictures)

View attachment 185128
View attachment 185127

View attachment 185129
View attachment 185130

2¢--Portfolios are nice, but I think it's a matter of taste if you'd prefer a portfolio or a handbag. What I wouldn't do is equate the portfolio with the oversized clutch. Visually they look a bit a like, but functionally they are worlds apart. An oversized clutch is much more difficult to keep organized than a portfolio. Pen-searching galore.

Also, I'd say the majority of gals I've seen posting are keen on an actual bag/tote/purse rather than a portfolio.

Can I mix charcoal and black? I want to get the dress and skirt suit below, and ideally wear the suit jacket with the dress. Is that doable? Or the dress in black and the skirt suit in grey?

View attachment 185135

View attachment 185134
Totally fine - black on black would be way too much imo.
I'd say get the skirt suit in black and the dress in charcoal - that way you can get another dress later on, and it'll go with the black jacket! That was my thought process so I'd be able to get a second dress...

Thank you!! I'm just worried I can't find a professional looking bag in time that's wide enough for a folder and is affordable

Unless you really want it to, I don't think the folder has to fit inside your bag. From what I've heard/read, a bag isn't even a necessity. I'm not minimalistic enough to go without, but I'm just going to bring a little shoulder bag that'll fit my bare essentials (id, couple bucks, pen, floss, breath mints, lip gloss, keys) and carry the folders that I get.

In short, if you find a nice structured handbag in your price range that would accommodate all your documents/materials, snatch that sucker. If not, something small and tasteful will probably be fine (or be the one bada** who doesn't bring anything extra at all).

Question for adcom folks: What were some memorably GOOD outfits? We've talked a lot about what not to wear and how to play safe, but do you have any examples of candidates who really impressed you with their outfit? What worked?

After doing some research, I found another answer to why I cannot refer to professional dress as "window dressing." I may prefer this answer, but thank you @DokterMom , @gyngyn, and @Winged Scapula for the additional explanations.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16271913

Those results are not surprising at all. I find that especially in a surgical field, patients equate looking neat, clean and detail oriented with getting a neat, clean and detail oriented surgery. I've only had two patients in my practice who have ever expressed disappointment that I wasn't wearing scrubs in the office.

Last edited:
Question for adcom folks: What were some memorably GOOD outfits? We've talked a lot about what not to wear and how to play safe, but do you have any examples of candidates who really impressed you with their outfit? What worked?
I don't recall any specific memorable outfits. Rather what stands out is someone who is confident in their appearance and "owns it."

I don't recall any specific memorable outfits. Rather what stands out is someone who is confident in their appearance and "owns it."

This is so on-target that it bears repeating.

sorry if this has been answered somewhere, i tried combing through this and another thread but couldn't find the answer. is a portfolio like the first two pictures below the generally accepted "bag" for women? I feel like many of the portfolios would just look like oversized clutches on a woman (like the last two pictures)

On the portfolios conversation, I brought one to my first interview a couple weeks ago and it worked perfectly. I was able to tuck a pen, my phone, and some needed credit/transit cards inside. It was far easier to find a professional portfolio (oh hey $13 Amazon purchase), and it was easier to carry around, too. However, finding a portfolio that could also accommodate makeup, car keys, and/or tampons would be a bit more challenging. There are some (bulkier) ones with sizable storage compartments out there. (Of course, there's no option to bring along a pair of flats.) I'm guessing bringing both a portfolio and purse is frowned upon and looks like you have too much stuff, but I could be wrong.

All of that being said, I'm not sure the portfolio option would work for every interview. Namely, if there's any where I'll be walking a fair distance to get to/from the school, I may bring a purse instead so I can bring a pair of flats.