Women's Interview Clothing #3!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
First of all, thanks so much @DokterMom and @Winged Scapula for your advice on this thread. I read through it a lot when deciding what to wear and I felt so confident and informed in my clothing choices for my first interview today :)

One last question for my next interview: what's the word on cartilage piercings? I took my earring out for today's interview just in case but today I saw another female interviewee wearing hers. Is it okay to wear it for my next interviews?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
One last question for my next interview: what's the word on cartilage piercings? I took my earring out for today's interview just in case but today I saw another female interviewee wearing hers. Is it okay to wear it for my next interviews?
Leave them out.

Reactions: 2 users
First of all, thanks so much @DokterMom and @Winged Scapula for your advice on this thread. I read through it a lot when deciding what to wear and I felt so confident and informed in my clothing choices for my first interview today :)

That interviewee obviously doesn't read SDN. ;)

For interviews, females are allowed one piercing per ear lobe. All other piercings must be covered by clothing. ;-)

After you get in you can pierce yourself all the **** up (but remember to take them out for clinical rotations and residency interviews).

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi! I'm a long-time lurker and this is my first post. I've read most of this thread and I still can't figure out a definitive answer to this question:

If I keep my suit jacket on for actual interviews (and MMI sessions) is it ok to remove my jacket during "down time" or a meal or tours? The reason I'm asking is that I'm having trouble finding a nice shirt with any kind of sleeve that is not a collared button up (they look funny with my jacket on and I don't like the V neck cut)- all I can find are sleeveless tops. They generally have a wide shoulder, but still fall under the "sleeveless" category. I live in Nevada and there doesn't seem to be much in the way a "business formal" that's not a masculine button down.

Edit: Are trouser socks or nylons mandatory for suit pants with heels? I'm afraid I'll slip out of my shoes!

Any advise will be greatly appreciated!

Examples:
http://www.loft.com/shoulder-pleat-...tPageType=fullPriceProducts&defaultColor=4236

http://www.anntaylor.com/matte-jers...tPageType=fullPriceProducts&defaultColor=2416

http://www.burlingtoncoatfactory.co...aspx?h=56988,56989,57005&scrolli=2376&search=

Last edited:
Hi! I'm a long-time lurker and this is my first post. I've read most of this thread and I still can't figure out a definitive answer to this question:

If I keep my suit jacket on for actual interviews (and MMI sessions) is it ok to remove my jacket during "down time" or a meal or tours? The reason I'm asking is that I'm having trouble finding a nice shirt with any kind of sleeve that is not a collared button up (they look funny with my jacket on and I don't like the V neck cut)- all I can find are sleeveless tops. They generally have a wide shoulder, but still fall under the "sleeveless" category. I live in Nevada and there doesn't seem to be much in the way a "business formal" that's not a masculine button down.

Edit: Are trouser socks or nylons mandatory for suit pants with heels? I'm afraid I'll slip out of my shoes!

Any advise will be greatly appreciated!

Examples:
http://www.loft.com/shoulder-pleat-...tPageType=fullPriceProducts&defaultColor=4236

http://www.anntaylor.com/matte-jers...tPageType=fullPriceProducts&defaultColor=2416

http://www.burlingtoncoatfactory.co...aspx?h=56988,56989,57005&scrolli=2376&search=
Sleeveless is fine as long as:

1) you keep the jacket on most of the time
2) you do not have visible axillary hair or tattoos
3) your bra straps do not show

If you are ruling out V necks, or related surplice necklines, button up blouses then there are fewer choices, but there are some silk blouses on Ann Taylor and elsewhere with crew necks which might work.

Trouser socks are highly recommended under your trousers. If your feet slip, get some "shoe petals" to increase the friction.

Reactions: 1 user
Screen Shot 2014-09-04 at 9.05.03 PM.png Screen Shot 2014-09-04 at 9.07.37 PM.png Would this be appropriate to wear?

I am someone who gets extremely hot really quick, and I am trying to prevent sweating and what not.

View attachment 185188 View attachment 185189 Would this be appropriate to wear?

I am someone who gets extremely hot really quick, and I am trying to prevent sweating and what not.
Hmmm…I have my concerns.

Are you wearing a suit jacket over it?

Are you shorter than the model (otherwise, its too short)?

What fabric is it? It looks like a knit.

Hmmm…I have my concerns.

Are you wearing a suit jacket over it?

Are you shorter than the model (otherwise, its too short)?

What fabric is it? It looks like a knit.

I did not plan on wearing a suit jacket because I sweat like I was exercising. I mean I will do what I "have" to do but I hope that I don't have to. It is like regular suit or slacks material. I am 5'2-5'3. The dress is less than 2 inches above my knee.

EDIT: material is "Polyester/rayon/spandex"

I did not plan on wearing a suit jacket because I sweat like I was exercising. I mean I will do what I "have" to do but I hope that I don't have to. It is like regular suit or slacks material. I am 5'2-5'3. The dress is less than 2 inches above my knee.

EDIT: material is "Polyester/rayon/spandex"
Ok, then no.

Lack of a suit jacket is a no. You must wear one. When you don't, you stand out and not in a good way. As I said in the other thread, when you stand out, it gives faculty greater impetus to scour your application for any potential flaws.

Its too short if its 2 inches above your knee because it will ride higher when you sit down.

Spandex means probably too form fitting.

@JD33 It's been noted on this thread before, but if you have a problem with sweating you should try putting pantiliners on the armpit area of the jacket. I know it sounds weird but I've come across this tip multiple times before on business fashion blogs (like Extra Petite) so it must work!
Edited to add the link to the blog post: http://www.extrapetite.com/2012/11/leopard-and-layers-protecting-clothes.html

Last edited:
@JD33 It's been noted on this thread before, but if you have a problem with sweating you should try putting pantiliners on the armpit area of the jacket. I know it sounds weird but I've come across this tip multiple times before on business fashion blogs (like Extra Petite) so it must work!
Edited to add the link to the blog post: http://www.extrapetite.com/2012/11/leopard-and-layers-protecting-clothes.html
Thank you. Unfortunately its my face that does the sweating =/ but I will suck it up.

Sleeveless is fine as long as:

1) you keep the jacket on most of the time
2) you do not have visible axillary hair or tattoos
3) your bra straps do not show

If you are ruling out V necks, or related surplice necklines, button up blouses then there are fewer choices, but there are some silk blouses on Ann Taylor and elsewhere with crew necks which might work.

Trouser socks are highly recommended under your trousers. If your feet slip, get some "shoe petals" to increase the friction.

Thank you so much for your prompt reply. After I posted I found a link to a great blouse on AT and ordered it online because it wasn't available in a local store. I'm gong to keep looking in case it doesn't work for me.

Thank you again for all your sage advice, to myself and everyone else :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I imagine that most people here don't have this issue, but I'm a short, plus sized girl and fear that it could be difficult to find a suit that will fit in at all with others. It seems clothing manufacturers want to dress bbw's in leopard print (I know, I know, that of course is NOT appropriate for an interview). Does anyone have recommendations for places to find a nice plus size suit?

I imagine that most people here don't have this issue, but I'm a short, plus sized girl and fear that it could be difficult to find a suit that will fit in at all with others. It seems clothing manufacturers want to dress bbw's in leopard print (I know, I know, that of course is NOT appropriate for an interview). Does anyone have recommendations for places to find a nice plus size suit?
I don't want to ask you what size you wear but I know you can get up to size 14 or 16 online at Ann Taylor. With their vanity sizing that's probably translates more to a true size 18 or 20.

I don't want to ask you what size you wear but I know you can get up to size 14 or 16 online at Ann Taylor. With their vanity sizing that's probably translates more to a true size 18 or 20.
Thanks. I don't mind saying if it helps me get appropriate clothing. I usually wear about a 16 or 18. I'm 5'5" and 225 lbs. My weight skyrocketed with the onset of severe hypothyroidism and I've been working hard to get it back off. 14 lbs this summer, whoo hoo!

I've seen up to a 18 at Ann Taylor.

EDIT: Have you checked Lane Bryant at all?

Thanks. I don't mind saying if it helps me get appropriate clothing. I usually wear about a 16 or 18. I'm 5'5" and 225 lbs. My weight skyrocketed with the onset of severe hypothyroidism and I've been working hard to get it back off. 14 lbs this summer, whoo hoo!
Congrats on the weight loss!

As above, AT vanity sizing which I find translates about 2 sizes up (ie AT 0 = 4 elsewhere). They may work as well as Lane Bryant, or larger department stores.

Right. Lane Bryant usually has bizarre colors and their clothes fit me strangely, but I haven't tried AT before. Great tip!

Right. Lane Bryant usually has bizarre colors and their clothes fit me strangely, but I haven't tried AT before. Great tip!
LOL...yeah no weird colors! Ann Taylor Loft may also have some appropriate blouses in your size although they do not carry appropriate suits there.

Macys, Dillards, and other large department stores usually carry plus size women's suits.

Also check out Talbots, and look at dress + jacket combinations. The longer vertical line offered by a dress can be flattering. With Spanx and a slip for great draping, a substantial-weight knit could be a great option.

One note of caution -- walk around in your dress before you buy it. As a curvier lady, dresses that are even a bit tight on the hips will creep up the thigh as you walk. Also, dresses are even more prone than usual to becoming 4 inches shorter when you sit down. I have a jcrew wool sheath that literally goes from 1" below the knee to 3" above it when I sit.

By the by, I am curious as to why there are so few suits sold for women in subdued colors, without froufrou accents? For instance, I found a perfectly acceptable suit, in nice wool, but it had glitter pinstripes! Another one literally had a cutout in the middle of the shoulders. Even Jcrew has been pushing 3/4 sleeve suits, which I guess could look OK for everyday office-wear, but are pretty far off the mark for interviews.
Another one that drives me crazy: little leather accents all over a suit that will need to be dry cleaned. Looks cool, but not practical.

I see women where I work wearing suits every day, and they are not wearing these silly things. Some of them wear slightly less-formal office wear, but the ones in suits are wearing real suits. Is there some parallel universe where women dress like this, outside of the creative fields?

One note of caution -- walk around in your dress before you buy it. As a curvier lady, dresses that are even a bit tight on the hips will creep up the thigh as you walk. Also, dresses are even more prone than usual to becoming 4 inches shorter when you sit down. I have a jcrew wool sheath that literally goes from 1" below the knee to 3" above it when I sit.

By the by, I am curious as to why there are so few suits sold for women in subdued colors, without froufrou accents? For instance, I found a perfectly acceptable suit, in nice wool, but it had glitter pinstripes! Another one literally had a cutout in the middle of the shoulders. Even Jcrew has been pushing 3/4 sleeve suits, which I guess could look OK for everyday office-wear, but are pretty far off the mark for interviews.
Another one that drives me crazy: little leather accents all over a suit that will need to be dry cleaned. Looks cool, but not practical.

I see women where I work wearing suits every day, and they are not wearing these silly things. Some of them wear slightly less-formal office wear, but the ones in suits are wearing real suits. Is there some parallel universe where women dress like this, outside of the creative fields?

This! I found this lovely brown suit (I know, right?), but it had this weird piping along the hems and it made it look less professional. I really like the Tahari suits, but some of their accents are a bit too overstated.

By the by, I am curious as to why there are so few suits sold for women in subdued colors, without froufrou accents?

Is there some parallel universe where women dress like this, outside of the creative fields?

LOL - yes here. I have everything you've mentioned: suits with glitter pinstripes, the leather accents which are so popular this year (although which are mostly polyurethane and hand washable), and definitely tons of things with three-quarter length sleeves!

Also check out Talbots, and look at dress + jacket combinations. The longer vertical line offered by a dress can be flattering. With Spanx and a slip for great draping, a substantial-weight knit could be a great option.
They have some lovely italian wool flannel right now.

@clairephillips this might work for you (the grey or black), Misses up to size 20 and Womens 12W-24W. There is a matching jacket. Less pricey is the wool blend or crepe.

Consider the limited or Banana Republic. I found a few 16's in stores. Don't bother with the store collections at J. Crew, they only go to like a 12. Also I found lots of 16s at Macy's mixed right in with the rest of the suits (may have gone higher). As a general rule, I also found that skirts were much more flattering for me (16 on the bottom, 12 on top, 5'5") and found a cheap one and got it tailored. However, I highly suggest getting the skirt in the size that fits your widest part and tailoring it to fit your smallest part. For me, that meant going up a size for the hips not to be tight and getting the waist taken in a few inches. Not a single suit bottom (out of at least 40) I tried on fit correctly to my body type the first time.

Also, congrats on the weight loss! You may also want to consider getting something that can be easily tailored as you continue to lose. My skirt is already getting loose again but I know it's a simple fix and can just get the waist taken in.

Just want to say thank you for all the thoughtful responses! When I go shopping, I'll go armed with some great ideas. Now, MCAT score Tuesday and then to get that first interview!

Hey so after talking to my dad/reading a few interview books, I decided to try to be minimalistic and just bring a padfolio with me to the interview. The only downside I noticed is that when I'm wearing my skirt suit, I have no where to put my car keys! So, thoughts on carrying a small little black wristlet with my padfolio?

http://www.coach.com/online/handbag...51-51197-en?cs=b4bk&catId=5000000000000013513

Hey so after talking to my dad/reading a few interview books, I decided to try to be minimalistic and just bring a padfolio with me to the interview. The only downside I noticed is that when I'm wearing my skirt suit, I have no where to put my car keys! So, thoughts on carrying a small little black wristlet with my padfolio?

http://www.coach.com/online/handbag...51-51197-en?cs=b4bk&catId=5000000000000013513
Not sure about the wristlet, but I have a portfolio with 3 rings like a binder and I often take my car key to interviews, job fairs, etc. on just one little key ring loop, hooked to the loop of the binder. Try to simplify and there might be a place to slip it.

Agreeing with @clairephillips on the wristlet. A purse that tiny seems kind of girly or silly. A small, neat purse with a shoulder strap would be better.

Would these shoes be ok (in black), or should they be all the same fabric?

http://www.dsw.com/shoe/bandolino cunning pump?prodId=255207&activeCats=cat10006,cat20006

Those shoes are fine -- nice really.

Hi all, thank you again for all the feedback. I've gathered that shells are as acceptable as button-ups, but I had a few questions:

1) Is this color too bright? (obviously with a jacket on) View attachment 185229
and
2) everyone says if its sleeveless then we cant take our jackets off. aside from outside tours, how often did people want to take their jackets off? I'm really worried about wearing a shirt and not being able to take my jacket off if im really sweaty

For the bright color, I'm worried that a bright pink will make me come off as high maintenance or too "girly" or something. Im wearing a grey suit with it.

I wouldn't rule out the color totally, but only with a very quiet navy or charcoal suit. However that particular 'shell' looks more like a tank top, which would be way too casual. If you're going with a style that is borderline too casual, make sure the fabric says 'formal'. If the cut is traditional, you've got a bit more leeway on the fabric.

Would it be a huge no-no to wear red lipstick? I always feel more confident with a swipe of red, and I think it can look nice (as long as the rest of the makeup/clothing is more muted)...but I definitely don't want to give anyone the wrong impression!

I'm not totally bothered by it; if its only car keys you need, most cars have a single key which opens everything. Couldn't you just take it off the ring and put it inside the pad folio (or worse case, safety pin it inside your jacket pocket/lining etc.)?

Would it be a huge no-no to wear red lipstick? I always feel more confident with a swipe of red, and I think it can look nice (as long as the rest of the makeup/clothing is more muted)...but I definitely don't want to give anyone the wrong impression!
I think its fine as long as its not super glossy, super red and as you note, the rest of the makeup is muted.

Hi all, thank you again for all the feedback. I've gathered that shells are as acceptable as button-ups, but I had a few questions:

1) Is this color too bright? (obviously with a jacket on) View attachment 185229
and
2) everyone says if its sleeveless then we cant take our jackets off. aside from outside tours, how often did people want to take their jackets off? I'm really worried about wearing a shirt and not being able to take my jacket off if im really sweaty
I like the color and agree with @DokterMom that it would be best with a darker suit; however, it looks like t-shirt material.

When choosing a blouse, especially a sleeveless one, it should be silk, crepe, or other more "formal" material.

Thank you for your replies! That's not the actual shirt I have - I found a picture of it (attached)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:
Thank you for your replies! That's not the actual shirt I have - I found a picture of it (the pink one attached)

Also what do people think of lace? I usually think it's too sexy but I tried this shirt on and it looks very classy under my jacket
RE: lace -- IMHO with the sheer sleeves and the peplum, its too girly and potentially sexy. I could get behind a lace blouse for other events but not this one, not this event.

RE: pink -- fabric better; does your bra show? The arm holes look cut wide.

Thank you for your replies! That's not the actual shirt I have - I found a picture of it (the pink one attached)

Also what do people think of lace? I usually think it's too sexy but I tried this shirt on and it looks very classy under my jacket
No lace.

Thank you! if i wear a strapless, it does not show but then again, i definitely know I could not take my jacket off with that one. Im torn between wearing a button up that looks more conservative that i dont like, and wearing that pink shirt that i love the look up but am scared it looks much less conservative.
So you *really* can't find a blouse you don't like?

I'm not sure about your price range or color preference but what about things like this:

https://www.jcrew.com/womens_category/shirtsandtops/sleeveless/PRDOVR~A6293/A6293.jsp

https://www.jcrew.com/womens_category/shirtsandtops/sleeveless/PRDOVR~B1173/B1173.jsp

http://www.talbots.com/online/brows...601&N=10157+4294966578&selectedConcept=Misses

http://www.talbots.com/online/brows...349&N=10157+4294966578&selectedConcept=Misses

http://www.talbots.com/online/brows...679&N=10157+4294966578&selectedConcept=Misses

http://www.talbots.com/online/brows...lbotsSite,OR(product.catalogId:catalog20002))

http://www.anntaylor.com/colorblock...tPageType=fullPriceProducts&defaultColor=9192

http://www.anntaylor.com/crepe-plea...tPageType=fullPriceProducts&defaultColor=5553

http://www.anntaylor.com/silk-ls-camp-shirt/341965?
colorExplode=false&skuId=16807068&catid=cata000010&productPageType=fullPriceProducts&defaultColor=0960

http://www.anntaylor.com/long-sleev...xplode=false&skuId=16947214&defaultColor=0966

http://www.anntaylor.com/cttn-sl-pu...tPageType=fullPriceProducts&defaultColor=0719

http://www.express.com/clothing/flutter+sleeve+top/pro/8651070/cat430028

thank you so much! those are all great suggestions!

https://www.jcrew.com/womens_category/suiting/super120s/PRDOVR~23346/23346.jsp

This (both the jacket and the pants in the black) and then

https://www.jcrew.com/womens_category/shirtsandtops/sleeveless/PRDOVR~A6293/A6293.jsp

I am from a super informal area and have no notion of what to wear to this kind of thing.

I am 5' 2" and 105 pounds. I don't want to wear heels, but even though I am 23 I look pretty young, probably because I'm small. Do I need to? I have never worn them in my life.
I would recommend wearing heels especially if you're small and young looking. Flats can make you look even younger. Heels will give you height which translates to authority. They aren't that hard to wear.