Women's Interview Clothing #3!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey all!
I think my post was passed over, so I am quoting it here. Any help/guidance would be much appreciated! :)
A print that is subtle enough to serve as a texture is fine (a pin dot, for example).

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
question 1: So I bought a black suit. And I also have black shoes. I'd like to bring a bag, but I read on this thread that your bag has to match the color of your shoes. Therefore I need to find a black bag. So.. then my whole ensemble will be black, except for the shell inside. Is this a problem? Can I bring a different colored bag, and if so, which colors are okay?

question 2: Would it be appropriate to wear a black and chrome sports watch, similar to this one? Amazon product

Members don't see this ad :)
question 2: Would it be appropriate to wear a black and chrome sports watch, similar to this one? Amazon product

Just my personal opinion!
To me the sports watch does not look professional and I can not really imagine wearing it with the suit/dress/etc.

Reactions: 1 user
question 1: So I bought a black suit. And I also have black shoes. I'd like to bring a bag, but I read on this thread that your bag has to match the color of your shoes. Therefore I need to find a black bag. So.. then my whole ensemble will be black, except for the shell inside. Is this a problem? Can I bring a different colored bag, and if so, which colors are okay?

I can't see the watch, maybe the link didn't work?

As far as the suit... I'm in the same situation as you. Black suit, black purse, black shoes. With a colorful blouse I think it's fine. Your purse should match your shoes, so if you do say a red leather purse, make the shoes match. I don't know if a colorful purse is recommended though.

Clothes sound fine but I wouldn't wear the watch too casual for the interview.

I mainly associate button earrings with the stuff I used to play with from my grandma's jewelry box. This isn't the 80's, you guys. Button earrings look sooooooooo dated.
I agree. I am 43 years old and there is no way I would wear button earrings to look more professional; frankly they would just make me look so ancient they'd never admit me.

Black suit with bright leather shoes and bag would be fun for a regular business wear, but NOT for you interview. Memorable in a bad way...

I agree. I am 43 years old and there is no way I would wear button earrings to look more professional; frankly they would just make me look so ancient they'd never admit me.

What word do you use to describe 'up to date' earrings that are bigger than studs but have no dangly bits?

What word do you use to describe 'up to date' earrings that are bigger than studs but have no dangly bits?
Those knots that somebody suggested earlier looked perfectly decent but I have a hard time picturing an earring bigger than a stud and non-dangling that doesn't just look aging and outdated. I understand that lots of the very young women reading this thread could stand to look more mature but some of us don't need to look older! I can't help but think that even most of the very young women would look better sticking to a stud or maybe a knot if they're really feeling the need for chunky professional "accent" jewelry. I fully understand why gyngyn said to stay away from the dainty stuff (it looks like your high school boyfriend or your mom gave it to you) ... but button earrings? Noooooooo.....

For me at least, studs = pretty much anything without dangly bits. I had never heard of button earrings until this thread.

Those knots that somebody suggested earlier looked perfectly decent but I have a hard time picturing an earring bigger than a stud and non-dangling that doesn't just look aging and outdated. I understand that lots of the very young women reading this thread could stand to look more mature but some of us don't need to look older! I can't help but think that even most of the very young women would look better sticking to a stud or maybe a knot if they're really feeling the need for chunky professional "accent" jewelry. I fully understand why gyngyn said to stay away from the dainty stuff (it looks like your high school boyfriend or your mom gave it to you) ... but button earrings? Noooooooo.....

Interview-appropriate attire is not the same as 'up-to-date'. In fact, it's decidedly unfashionable. When was the last time you saw a 20-something young woman in 'sensible heels' ?

Since you've just stated your age, if you don't mind sharing where you've been for the last 20 years -- raising kids, in school, what type of business or profession, etc. -- that might help put your views into perspective.

@Winged Scapula - What say you on the 'button' controversy? Outdated?

Members don't see this ad :)
Interview-appropriate attire is not the same as 'up-to-date'. In fact, it's decidedly unfashionable. When was the last time you saw a 20-something young woman in 'sensible heels' ?

Since you've just stated your age, if you don't mind sharing where you've been for the last 20 years -- raising kids, in school, what type of business or profession, etc. -- that might help put your views into perspective.

Oh, I just hate that style of earring. I recognize I might be completely wrong on this front--what do I know, really? And I do understand that "fashionable" and interview appropriate are not the same and that young women at these interviews should not be tottering about in stiletto heels or wearing too-short skirts ... but surely, these young women aren't all going to be interviewed by physicians and scientists so frumpy that they look at the button earring and perceive the wearer as confident and smart because she chose a frumpy earring? I bet at least some interviewers, if they noticed the earrings a woman was wearing at all, would think that the button earring is not terribly flattering anymore (if it ever was). Plus, the button versus stud earring question is in a different category from sensible shoes or a blouse with a modest neckline--it's not like a stud earring looks too sexy to look professional (that's the problem with the dangle). You advise young women against showing cleavage, wearing fragrance, or wearing too high heels because these things are more appropriate for a date than a job. And too-high-heels just aren't practical for a profession where many if not most are on their feet and moving around much or all of the day (and night)!

For frame of reference, without saying too much about myself, I've mostly been raising kids and practicing law. I graduated from an elite law school (sounds like the kids now call it T14) and most of my practice has been in a "big law" type setting. At some points I have worn a suit five days a week. Law is known as one of the last bastions of super-conservative professional dressing, but on the other hand, the women attorneys that I know who are at the top of their game in terms of representing larger institutional clients (i.e. where the glory is) tend to be pretty fashion-forward and strive to look like vital, confident leaders--not grey-haired, "experienced," or grandmotherly. I.e. they keep their hair expensively colored, they don't wear it in dated styles, and they don't wear dated clothes or shoes. And that includes a number of women in their 60s.

I can't say that I see the difference between pearl or diamond studs or button earrings in terms of being old fashioned or dated nor have I ever found them aging on someone. I agree with you that professional business wear is not up to the minute or anything resembling fashionable. I'd be interested in hearing what sort of earrings our dissenters think are appropriate and youthful.

Reactions: 3 users
OK - so big law. You've been there and clearly know the uniform. And yes, the top women there DO strive to look 'up-to-date' and professional in a conservative way.

I'd love to see what you suggest for earrings --

(Please know I intend no snark or challenge in my tone in case it comes across that way.)

I can't say that I see the difference between pearl or diamond studs or button earrings in terms of being old fashioned or dated nor have I ever found them aging on someone. I agree with you that professional business wear is not up to the minute or anything resembling fashionable. I'd be interested in hearing what sort of earrings our dissenters think are appropriate and youthful.

I couldn't find earrings I liked so I went without(my taste in jewelry is like crazy over the top Bollywood stuff so I figured I'd play it super safe) and borrowed a necklace from my mother. Single strand pearls, rose gold clasp. The clasp had some pretty detailing on it but was small, and the pearls looked nice against the crepe fabric on my rose pink top.

IRL I would never wear that stuff nor do I dress like I did for my interview. I literally wear lulu to work with nice shoes and do my hair and makeup so no one can tell that under my white coat/surgical gown I'm basically wearing glorified yoga clothes

Reactions: 2 users
Ok so the magical hairspray @Winged Scapula recommended works great but on rainy/humid days, my hair gets a little frizzy. Anyone have any tips? (just in case it happens to rain on interview days...)

I would just like to say that "professional" is not synonymous with "old fashioned" and "dated." And it's not as if the only option other than dated is like... trendy and flashy or something. There's this huge middle ground called "classy and understated" which is both professional and doesn't look old. For example:

img-thing
chelseys-small-imitation-diamond-hoop-earrings.jpg
img-thing

As opposed to this kind of stuff that I would expect to see on, like, Geraldine Ferraro or Margaret Thatcher:

img-thing

I would just like to say that "professional" is not synonymous with "old fashioned" and "dated." And it's not as if the only option other than dated is like... trendy and flashy or something. There's this huge middle ground called "classy and understated" which is both professional and doesn't look old.

As opposed to this kind of stuff that I would expect to see on, like, Geraldine Ferraro or Margaret Thatcher:
Not sure if you think I disagree with you. I don't; professional can certainly be modern and stylish (although not trendy or au courant) which is why I was curious about what the previous poster was thinking of when claiming that studs or button earrings (I don't differentiate between the two) were dowdy.

To review: Studs and buttons have posts, omega backs or clips. They are both fine as long as they do not depict animals or cartoons. Large hoops, chandeliers or dangles hang from the lobe and often have movement. These are to be avoided.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure if you think I disagree with you. I don't; professional can certainly be modern and stylish (although not trendy or au courant) which is why I was curious about what the previous poster was thinking of when claiming that studs or button earrings (I don't differentiate between the two) were dowdy.
I am differentiating between studs and buttons. When you say "stud" I am thinking of a single stone (any shape) on a post with a back in a minimal pronged setting. When you say "button" I am picturing something larger and flatter--it could be a big half ball either surrounded by small stones or not, or more of a flat colored or metal piece, again on a post (or, horrifically, as a clip-on). I see nothing dowdy (or unprofessional) about studs but I find it hard to imagine a "button" that isn't dowdy.

In answer to DokterMom's query, I would recommend studs, tiny hoops (again, as pictured by cotterpin), or no earrings if hair is covering ears anyway. I'll be going with studs. In lawyer life I wore the same earrings just about every day--a lovely gift from my husband (basically a diamond teardrop). No one has ever suggested my clothing choices weren't professional enough (and I've enjoyed my share of compliments). But I know those earrings are too "pretty" for med school interviews (and have a bit of a dangle) so they will stay home!

I was responding to you because you said, "I'd be interested in hearing what sort of earrings our dissenters think are appropriate and youthful." And I was one of those dissenters. I definitely differentiate between studs and buttons, the later being very dowdy to my eye. If I were to see a 22 year-old girl in button earrings, she would look like she's playing dress-up to me.

What about theeeeeese, though? They're studs and they're kinda medical in theme!
24-Pieces-Elegant-Tablet-font-b-Pill-b-font-Shape-font-b-Earrings-b-font-Jewelry.jpg

(I'm kidding.)

Gotcha @bumblebee611 and @Cotterpin . My language was not precise. I agree that what you show as button earring examples are often grandmotherly and remind me of the clip ons my own wore.

I've posted pictures of earrings previously that I found appropriate and it included the simple studs, the gold knots, small hoops etc so it seems we are all on the same page!

So are these dowdy? I freely confess to owning a pair --
80613342e506f0796edae2172c79599e.jpg

So are these dowdy? I freely confess to owning a pair --
80613342e506f0796edae2172c79599e.jpg

I think it depends on how big they are and what occasion you're wearing them to. If they're like bigger than a quarter and pull your earlobes down, then I am sorry. They are grandma earrings.

They look as big as the knots above, not quarter sized lol

I have no idea. There's no context. Honestly, if they were bigger than dimes, I wouldn't wear them unless I was on my way to an audience with the Queen.

No, scratch that. They would have to be no bigger than an eraser head.

I have no idea. There's no context. Honestly, if they were bigger than dimes, I wouldn't wear them unless I was on my way to an audience with the Queen.

Oh, Cotterpin, you are so unvarnished! I was going to say that it depends on what look you are going for, DokterMom.

I also think it depends on what else you're wearing it with.

I like mixing genres: rocker moto jacket with a lace blouse; girly jewelry with a t-shirt dress.

So if you were wearing them with something tougher and not so "twee", then its fine. But wearing them with a Laura Ashley dress (are those around anymore?), your hair in a bun, or a very conservative suit and flat shoes does lean toward dowdy.

Actually, I haven't worn them in years -- except possibly to a funeral? Where dowdy would be suitable, I guess. But they were my absolute favorites...

OK - so what IS suitable? The gold knots, certainly. Studs that are 'better than boyfriend' grade.

Joining this thread as I hope to go shopping this weekend!

Is it recommended to buy a long sleeve blouse to go under the suit? Are both light pink, light red, or burgundy acceptable colors?

Joining this thread as I hope to go shopping this weekend!

Is it recommended to buy a long sleeve blouse to go under the suit? Are both light pink, light red, or burgundy acceptable colors?

Light pink and burgundy are absolutely acceptable. What's 'light red'?

@DokterMom, @Winged Scapula, and @gyngyn, thank you so much for helping us hopeless young'uns... I have attended three interviews so far and let me just say, some of my fellow interviewees would have been much better off doing some research here before picking out a suit and accessories! Low cut blouses, gigantic heels, and short skirts galore! And of course, some just plain dowdy.

@DokterMom, @Winged Scapula, and @gyngyn, thank you so much for helping us hopeless young'uns... I have attended three interviews so far and let me just say, some of my fellow interviewees would have been much better off doing some research here before picking out a suit and accessories! Low cut blouses, gigantic heels, and short skirts galore! And of course, some just plain dowdy.

At least dowdy qualifies as appropriate and gets you a 'neutral' rating.

FM shoes live up to their billing ;)

Is a bit of a thin wedge the end of the world if the shoes fit, look professional (like real heels) from the front and back, have only ~1.5" of height, etc?

I really, really struggle to walk in heels. These shoes basically look like heels, but I can walk comfortably in them (while still standing like I have heels on, which is really the point, no?) They're basically comfort heels with the space between the heel and the sole of the toe filled in a bit, and it's not particularly visible with my pantsuit. Thoughts?

Is a bit of a thin wedge the end of the world if the shoes fit, look professional (like real heels) from the front and back, have only ~1.5" of height, etc?

I really, really struggle to walk in heels. These shoes basically look like heels, but I can walk comfortably in them (while still standing like I have heels on, which is really the point, no?) They're basically comfort heels with the space between the heel and the sole of the toe filled in a bit, and it's not particularly visible with my pantsuit. Thoughts?
Again, I'm just another applicant like you, and I imagine the adcoms may differ, but if I were struggling with this, I would wear the wedges and make sure the rest of my outfit is impeccable. I would make sure my pants are the right length to mostly cover the wedge and ensure that I have nice-enough quality and well-fitting enough clothes that no one is going to notice that my shoes deviate slightly from the uniform. Have you practiced walking with a low heel, though? I'm the opposite of you--can't walk in wedges and much prefer heels.

Again, I'm just another applicant like you, and I imagine the adcoms may differ, but if I were struggling with this, I would wear the wedges and make sure the rest of my outfit is impeccable. I would make sure my pants are the right length to mostly cover the wedge and ensure that I have nice-enough quality and well-fitting enough clothes that no one is going to notice that my shoes deviate slightly from the uniform. Have you practiced walking with a low heel, though? I'm the opposite of you--can't walk in wedges and much prefer heels.
They don't feel like a wedge to me...they kind of just feel like heels only far more stable.

The rest of my outfit is good...black pantsuit that fits me well (I didn't even get it altered because I bought it specifically because it just...fit) and a deep red cowl-neck shell, good fabric. The shoes are close-toed with a small, reserved buckle, and are of good material. No jewelry unless I decide to wear a (nice) watch or some simple studs.

hey ladies! Whats the consensus on best color suit? I'm probably not going to pick black but thoughts on navy vs. charcoal?

They don't feel like a wedge to me...they kind of just feel like heels only far more stable.

The rest of my outfit is good...black pantsuit that fits me well (I didn't even get it altered because I bought it specifically because it just...fit) and a deep red cowl-neck shell, good fabric. The shoes are close-toed with a small, reserved buckle, and are of good material. No jewelry unless I decide to wear a (nice) watch or some simple studs.
I think a moderate wedge is fine with a trouser suit. As noted above, keep everything else in line and I would actually recommend you seriously consider the watch or some hearings otherwise the outfit may look a little too staid.

I'm glad you found it helpful.

I understand that some feel that we are being overly fastidious or uncompromising in our advice. But as you have experienced, there are a lot of applicants out there who simply have no idea what's considered professional or even more worrisome, appropriate.

I hope it gives your confidence a little boost when you see what you're up against LOL!

Reactions: 6 users
I think a moderate wedge is fine with a trouser suit. As noted above, keep everything else in line and I would actually recommend you seriously consider the watch or some hearings otherwise the outfit may look a little too staid.
Haha, the shell really pops, I swear! I don't think I'll look too boring/drab, and I'm a bit too animated/engaged in general to be thought of as staid. I will definitely look into my earring/watch options, though. Thanks for the advice, as always!

Women wearing your hair half-up a la Kate Middleton:

Are you pinning it back with bobby pins and then making them not visible, or are you using some sort of conservative barrette?

This may have been asked before or a silly question but I've got my suit and it's now on to the little things... Jewelry... Hair... Etc.

Women wearing your hair half-up a la Kate Middleton:

Are you pinning it back with bobby pins and then making them not visible, or are you using some sort of conservative barrette?

This may have been asked before or a silly question but I've got my suit and it's now on to the little things... Jewelry... Hair... Etc.
I used a plan black barrette like this: