Women's Interview Clothing #3!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It's a convenience that I would like to have on me in case of emergencies. Like I bring my phone with me when I'm on a bike ride, even though I'm not gonna be checking it or making calls. It's in case I tumble into a crevasse or some other unexpected situation. Is it really that annoying to you? What the hell?
Nope...the 'convenience' vs 'necessity' line is a crucial one!

Members don't see this ad.

Guys can we not make this thread into a typical sdn thread where we argue about the most trivial and pointless thing ever?

Also @mehc012 some people need a purse when it's that time of the month, or they need to carry flats for the tour or their hotel key or phone to call uber. There, I spelled it out for you, hope it makes sense

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Nope...the 'convenience' vs 'necessity' line is a crucial one!

I don't see how any of this is crucial. I'm just totally baffled that you're so adamant about other people not needing purses. It's normal. It's convenient. It's not your problem.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't see how any of this is crucial. I'm just totally baffled that you're so adamant about other people not needing purses. It's normal. It's convenient. It's not your problem.
I never said other people shouldn't bring them, or that they shouldn't prefer them/find them convenient. I never said I had a problem with it, either.

I just think 'need' is a strong word that should be applied sparingly. :shrug:

lol purses are great! for people like me with extra dry skin, it's essential to carry lotion + chapstick. there's no way to carry these things in the pockets i don't have so my handy dandy purse is deeeefinitely a need for me :) I'm sure you still looked/will look great and professional without a purse. but some people really do need them..like moi :D

Reactions: 1 users
I never said other people shouldn't bring them, or that they shouldn't prefer them/find them convenient. I never said I had a problem with it, either.

I just think 'need' is a strong word that should be applied sparingly. :shrug:

You clearly have a problem with it. You said it bugs you. But thing is: nobody here used the word "need" except for you.

You clearly have a problem with it. You said it bugs you. But thing is: nobody here used the word "need" except for you.
Need, necessity...same thing. :shrug: Anyway, I shall not derail further.

Need, necessity...same thing. :shrug: Anyway, I shall not derail further.

I'm sorry, no. "Basic necessities" is a turn of phrase. I did not mean it in the sense of absolutely requiring these things for survival.

But yeah. Thank you for dropping it.

I just really like to stalk people and know what they do before talking to them. In your interviews so far, have interviewers told you about themselves?
Don't do it. It creeps people out if you seem to have information about them.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
A cell phone is not a necessity. It's not a liability, it just bugs me to see people act as if having a phone on you at all times is some sort of lifeline or something.
It has every potential of being a real liability, though.
Ringing, buzzing, even a short verse of the Battle Hymn of the Republic have all featured in interview evaluations I have read. This is a high stakes situation in which people often forget to turn the thing off. You might be surprised how many evaluators might find your ringtone...offputting.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's great to know coming from you, thank you! So should I not look people up at all then?
It really cannot help and it might hurt.
This interview is about you, not the ability to google and flatter someone.
We have all had this experience and I assure you, it is not befitting a medical school applicant.
It's creepy.

We have all had this experience and I assure you, it is not befitting a medical school applicant.
It's creepy.
Duly noted.

It's creepy.
It would be creepy in any situation

Lol I really do not want to drag this out, but this cell phone/purse business made me giggle. If not for any other reason, I would bring my cell phone in case something happens and I AM LATE to interview day- I would really hate if there was no way for me to notify them (i.e. I would be hysterically freaking out). Also, advil is a great thing to bring! I get migraines, so I always have meds, but trying to be at your best with a headache is really not fun.

I'm not hating, I'm just pointing it out so that everyone actually thinks about it and chooses to bring a bag instead of forgetting/not realizing that they don't actually need anything with them.
I was totally on your team. REI cargo pants hold everything! But my rental car keys were those giant bulky remote things that would spoil the line of my suit, annnnnd my skirt suit doesn't have pockets.

It's a slippery slope once you need a place to put rental car keys. Such a gateway drug. I brought travel-size mouthwash to my interview, for god sakes.

If some of you have blouses that tend to slip forward and expose more than you'd like in the front, I found the perfect solution. Snap buttons!

Put on the bra and blouse you will be wearing. Position the blouse exactly where you want it. Mark the spot on your bra and blouse where you want to put the snap buttons (between neck and the top of the shoulder is a great spot). Take them off, sew the snap buttons on (outside bra strap and inside blouse). Obviously don't sew through the top layer of your blouse because the thread would be visible, only sew through the lining.

Tadaaaaa your blouse now snaps into your bra straps and will not move at all. I initially was going to use safety pins but this is much easier.

Lol I really do not want to drag this out, but this cell phone/purse business made me giggle. If not for any other reason, I would bring my cell phone in case something happens and I AM LATE to interview day- I would really hate if there was no way for me to notify them (i.e. I would be hysterically freaking out). Also, advil is a great thing to bring! I get migraines, so I always have meds, but trying to be at your best with a headache is really not fun.
Absolutely bring your cell! Just leave it (turned off) in your luggage or bag at the admissions office. If you must bring it with you, be sure to turn it off or at least in a non-buzzing, non-ringtone mode.

I wore dress pants, black closed-toed flats (with nude panty hose), a white button up shirt (buttoned almost all the way), pearl necklace, pearl earrings, and a black blazer. I wore my hair down with very slight curls at the ends, and I had my bangs pulled back out of my face. I wore very little makeup: powder, nude eyeshadow, soft pink lip gloss, and mascara.

Can I wear my hair down? I seriously can't afford to add any masculinity to my look by tying it back. My hair is very straight, clean ends (trimmed today!) but just past my shoulders in length.

Can I wear my hair down? I seriously can't afford to add any masculinity to my look by tying it back. My hair is very straight, clean ends (trimmed today!) but just past my shoulders in length.
Most girls at my interviews wore theirs down. Several used bobby pins to pull it back away from their face. A few wore theirs straight, a few wore theirs with subtle, natural-looking curls.

YES wear it down. That's not too long. Do a half-up half-down look for added femininity.

Lol I had the whole clip back hair thing planned out but I think in the hurry (my hotel was far away) and the nervousness I forgot to do that and just went with my normal hair down. Looked fine. Other applicants had the same thing

Also my suit isn't as slim-fitting as I normally wear my clothes (obviously) so I don't even have the good fortune of looking like a handsome man, but more of an awkward 10-year old boy with no curves trying to walk around in heels lol.

Also my suit isn't as slim-fitting as I normally wear my clothes (obviously) so I don't even have the good fortune of looking like a handsome man, but more of an awkward 10-year old boy with no curves trying to walk around in heels lol.
It will be fine.
In some ways, this "uniform" puts everyone in the same boat.
This lets us focus on you.

I have this theory that if you cut off all her hair she'd look like a British man.

Any thoughts on a Navy or Grey Suit with burgundy patent leather loafers and a burgundy button up?

Any thoughts on a Navy or Grey Suit with burgundy patent leather loafers and a burgundy button up?
How about a short heel or pump instead of a loafer—it'll dress it up. (I promise I don't mean a stiletto, which no one should wear anyways. Just something more formal than the loafers.). As far as colors, I think a grey suit and burgundy blouse would look nice. The burgundy shirt might be too dark against a navy suit).

No loafers.
Some contrast in tone (not just color) between shirt and suit is pleasing to the eye.

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't wear heels because two of my interview locations suggested not to for walking purposes.

I didn't wear heels because two of my interview locations suggested not to for walking purposes.
I think "heels" means different things to different people.
You do need to be able to tour the place without limping!

ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1442103552.053062.jpg
ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1442103566.923477.jpg

Originally was going to use the black bag, but found the coral one today and love it but think it might not match well with a dark purple suit. It does liven things up a bit though! Thoughts?