Women's Interview Clothing #3!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was thinking about either tying a small scarf around the neck (kinda like a flight attendant) or taking a longer one and sort of tying it into a loose necklace.

Would you mind posting some pics of appropriate scarf ties, please?

Some of those outfits are obviously not acceptable, but in general the scarf ties are. The idea is to go with a narrower fold and not tight to the neck.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I was thinking about either tying a small scarf around the neck (kinda like a flight attendant) or taking a longer one and sort of tying it into a loose necklace.

Would you mind posting some pics of appropriate scarf ties, please?

@a_borgia beat me to it. I did post some pictures on page 63 in case that helps also.

I posted a picture of the dress I bought a few weeks ago, but it had sleeves and felt really uncomfortable with a blazer, so it's back to the drawing board for me.
I found another dress and a blazer I really like.

Dress: http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/theory-betty-2b-stretch-wool-sheath-dress/3963766 (probably in grey)
Blazer: http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/rebecca-minkoff-becky-silk-blazer/3974252 (in black)

I know the blazer isn't like a traditional one, but I tried on a "normal" one, like it was full length with a button, and it just looked really boxy on me.

I guess my real question is: is it worth spending $650 on interview clothes? I know you get what you pay for, and it seems like both of these are pretty high quality...but $650 is a lot lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
I posted a picture of the dress I bought a few weeks ago, but it had sleeves and felt really uncomfortable with a blazer, so it's back to the drawing board for me.

Dress: http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/theory-betty-2b-stretch-wool-sheath-dress/3963766 (probably in grey)
Blazer: http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/rebecca-minkoff-becky-silk-blazer/3974252 (in black)

I know the blazer isn't like a traditional one, but I tried on a "normal" one, like it was full length with a button, and it just looked really boxy on me.

I guess my real question is: is it worth spending $650 on interview clothes? I know you get what you pay for, and it seems like both of these are pretty high quality...but $650 is a lot lol.
I wouldn't pay $650 for that, especially since the blazer looks too "dressy" for the occasion. If you're going to invest in a suit, I'd make sure to stick with classic pieces, i.e., a jacket that is the same fabric as the dress.

Reactions: 1 users

Have you looked at Express? They have decent suit pieces for the price (really only in black), especially when you use coupons or there is a sale.

I wouldn't pay $650 for that, especially since the blazer looks too "dressy" for the occasion. If you're going to invest in a suit, I'd make sure to stick with classic pieces, i.e., a jacket that is the same fabric as the dress.

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/theory-...ualcategoryid=0&fashionColor=&resultback=4529
How about this blazer? It's wool rather than silk so it would match the dress. Even more expensive though lol.

Have you looked at Express? They have decent suit pieces for the price (really only in black), especially when you use coupons or there is a sale.

I haven't but I will look right now, thanks!

Why not just a blazer in a traditional cut? You could probably find a fairly nice one at Macy's or something for less than $100.

I have one in a traditional cut from Nordstrom and it just looks...bad. Boxy and an awkward length.

If you can, go to the mall and visit more stores (department stores such as Nordstrom as well as J.Crew, Banana Republic etc.) and try on all the blazers/suit jackets you see. It takes a dozen jackets before I ever find the right one....Blazers come in all different lengths—if it's too short, a blazer can look awful and boxy, but if you find the right one, it will make all the difference. Just because those two pieces are more expensive, they will not necessarily fit you well—although they are still beautiful items! To combat the problem of "boxiness," look for a longer blazer that falls straight, with narrower lapels. Also, a stiffer, heavier fabric will look boxier, since it does not move as well with your body. Lastly, one of the best pieces of advice I ever heard, from a male friend: He bought his suits at Salvation Army, but then had them tailored impeccably, making the suits look rather expensive. So consider that you need to tailor your blazer.

Here's an example of the style of blazer to which I am referring: http://www.zara.com/us/en/woman/blazers/houndstooth-blazer-c756615p2952506.html (Although I wouldn't recommend the houndstooth for an interview—just a general example of the style itself. Nor do I recommend leather pants.)

I have one in a traditional cut from Nordstrom and it just looks...bad. Boxy and an awkward length.

That's just one blazer. They'll all fit a little different, so you don't have to go into non-traditional, no-lapel, weird-drape, hella expensive blazers to avoid a boxy cut at an awkward length. If I were you, I'd bring the dress with me and try on every blazer at the store until I found one. Way better than spending $500+ on a blazer that won't even look conservative professional.

Edit: I just realized that I said something very similar to Person1345 :)

That's just one blazer. They'll all fit a little different, so you don't have to go into non-traditional, no-lapel, weird-drape, hella expensive blazers to avoid a boxy cut at an awkward length. If I were you, I'd bring the dress with me and try on every blazer at the store until I found one. Way better than spending $500+ on a blazer that won't even look conservative professional.

We're thinking alike! ;)

If you can, go to the mall and visit more stores (department stores such as Nordstrom as well as J.Crew, Banana Republic etc.) and try on all the blazers/suit jackets you see. It takes a dozen jackets before I ever find the right one....Blazers come in all different lengths—if it's too short, a blazer can look awful and boxy, but if you find the right one, it will make all the difference. Just because those two pieces are more expensive, they will not necessarily fit you well—although they are still beautiful items! To combat the problem of "boxiness," look for a longer blazer that falls straight, with narrower lapels. Also, a stiffer, heavier fabric will look boxier, since it does not move as well with your body. Lastly, one of the best pieces of advice I ever heard, from a male friend: He bought his suits at Salvation Army, but then had them tailored impeccably, making the suits look rather expensive. So consider that you need to tailor your blazer.

Here's an example of the style of blazer to which I am referring: http://www.zara.com/us/en/woman/blazers/houndstooth-blazer-c756615p2952506.html (Although I wouldn't recommend the houndstooth for an interview—just a general example of the style itself. Nor do I recommend leather pants.)

Yeah you guys are right, I definitely need to go try some on at the mall. Boo. I don't have a car and it costs like $50 to get to the mall with Uber. And I work weekends, idk when I am going to find the time to go in the next three weeks. I guess I will order the dress and then take it to the mall with me whenever I get the chance. The website says they have one at the mall but it's black, I guess I could just use that one to find a good blazer to go with it and then order the dress online in grey.

Alright, thank you guys!

Yeah you guys are right, I definitely need to go try some on at the mall. Boo. I don't have a car and it costs like $50 to get to the mall with Uber. And I work weekends, idk when I am going to find the time to go in the next three weeks. I guess I will order the dress and then take it to the mall with me whenever I get the chance. The website says they have one at the mall but it's black, I guess I could just use that one to find a good blazer to go with it and then order the dress online in grey.

Alright, thank you guys!
Gosh, that makes it hard! But best try on everything in person if you can. And if you have limited time, I was in Banana Republic the other day and they have some great pieces. Maybe not your favorite store, but at the moment they have some beautiful jackets/blazers with several other coordinating pieces (pencil skirts, dress pants, dress etc.). Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Can you get it tailored?

I could try. But it's a really low quality blazer and I think it shows. I think I'm just going to look for a nice one that will last me for a long time.

Personally, I like that look. Though there are some ways of wearing scarves that are more 'flight attendanty' than others.

Yeah, but most that are 'too pointy' are wrong for other reasons as well. Fun, and fabulous -- but not for interviews...
Who was the poster with that great purple suit?
4c681d36d72673a660e825e30e0e55c8.jpg

Where can I get these shoes, by the way?

Help! Hose question!!! I just tried on my new hose. They only came in "nude". The nude color is lighter than the natural color of my legs. Is that a fashion no?

Help! Hose question!!! I just tried on my new hose. They only came in "nude". The nude color is lighter than the natural color of my legs. Is that a fashion no?

Don't wear those! You'll look ashy. There are DOZENS of hose colors, find ones that's darker if you have to, but not lighter.

Personally, I like that look. Though there are some ways of wearing scarves that are more 'flight attendanty' than others.

Yeah, but most that are 'too pointy' are wrong for other reasons as well. Fun, and fabulous -- but not for interviews...
Who was the poster with that great purple suit?
4c681d36d72673a660e825e30e0e55c8.jpg
Mine are probably that pointy, or close to it, but solid black and lower heel. I've worn them to 4 interviews already, so I'm just going to continue to roll with it :shrug:

I got a classic-cut blazer and skirt from Loft in light charcoal grey and a flowy purple blouse. What color shoes do I wear with a light grey? When I wear this suit I usually wear nude heels, but I'm really not sure if black would be more appropriate - in my mind, it looks like it's too dark for the light grey and the light purple? Is it terrible to not wear panty-hose either? I'm from Florida, and we don't really do hose here. :laugh: Too hot! But I'm interviewing out of state.
Last question - is there anything wrong with wearing your hair down, or is a ponytail more appropriate since the hair is off your face?

I got a classic-cut blazer and skirt from Loft in light charcoal grey and a flowy purple blouse. What color shoes do I wear with a light grey? When I wear this suit I usually wear nude heels, but I'm really not sure if black would be more appropriate - in my mind, it looks like it's too dark for the light grey and the light purple? Is it terrible to not wear panty-hose either? I'm from Florida, and we don't really do hose here. :laugh: Too hot! But I'm interviewing out of state.
Last question - is there anything wrong with wearing your hair down, or is a ponytail more appropriate since the hair is off your face?
I have a grey suit and wear black shoes and carry a black purse--I think it looks more appropriate.
Pantyhose are a necessary evil (although I've seen girls without them. But just because people are doing something doesn't make it right :) )
I've seen lots of girls with their hair completely down, but I think it looks a bit more polished to have at least part (side, half) of it pulled back.

I have a grey suit and wear black shoes and carry a black purse--I think it looks more appropriate.
Pantyhose are a necessary evil (although I've seen girls without them. But just because people are doing something doesn't make it right :) )
I've seen lots of girls with their hair completely down, but I think it looks a bit more polished to have at least part (side, half) of it pulled back.

Sad but true: I've never worn pantyhose in my life! :p I'll buy a pair, it seems like they're a necessity!
Thanks for the input!

Soooo...for those of us with chocolate skin, which color pantyhose sock thingies are we to wear with heels ? I only see nude and black where im shopping...nude would look weird as would the black

Does anyone have any recommendation on styling short hair? Should I wear a hair accessory or keep it plain?

OK so I just discovered this thread. Hi Ladies! I have a few interviews coming up very soon and I need some of your wisdom. I bought a lovely Nordstrom Classiques Entier skirt suit in Navy. I am wearing black heels and black leather handbag. The question I have after reading through this thread is... people seem to be VERY anti white button-front blouse with a black or navy suit. I bought a really nice looking, well fitting one of those from Nordstrom as well. Is this like really a big no-no? Below is the suit:

'Chiara' Wool Suiting Skirt
'Chiara' One-Button Wool Suiting Jacket
I wore white button front shirt all the way. And I believe sometimes I stood out in good ways for that reason since most girls don't do that any more. White shirt with a fine suit well that's nicely tailored is simple, low key and elegant. It also makes you look like you are not trying to hard to impress with your outfits which is a good thing.

Last edited:
Does anyone have any recommendation on styling short hair? Should I wear a hair accessory or keep it plain?

Can you post a picture of what your hair looks like? Hair accessories are totally unnecessary unless they serve a function --

I wore white button front shirt all the way. And I believe sometimes I stood out in good ways for that reason since most girls don't do that any more. White shirt with a fine suit well that's nicely tailored is simple, low key and elegant. It also makes you look like you are not trying to hard to impress with your outfits which is a good thing.

YOUR resume speaks for itself @FriendlyFH . You could have worn anything between a burlap sack and a bandaid dress and still gotten in somewhere! :p Most applicants don't have that kind of latitude.

But there's nothing wrong with a white shirt. The only downside is that it can be boring.

Y'all might find this funny. Last night I had a dream that I was in the interview from hell AND I forgot to wear pantyhose and pin my hair back. Naturally there was a fan blowing my hair all over the place and the interviewer was annoyed and then I told her we should just moved the fan in front of me so it's more Beyoncé-like. Needless to say, very bad dream.

Reactions: 4 users
So I finally finished getting all of my pieces and I tried it on today. I was very impressed with how great it actually looked! I have a navy pant suit with a mint green blouse and dark grey shoes and purse. My question is do I have to take it to be tailored?I was planning on it, but when I tried it on today I honestly couldn't think of a place that needed to fit better and I don't want to pay for nothing to really be done to the suit.

So I finally finished getting all of my pieces and I tried it on today. I was very impressed with how great it actually looked! I have a navy pant suit with a mint green blouse and dark grey shoes and purse. My question is do I have to take it to be tailored?I was planning on it, but when I tried it on today I honestly couldn't think of a place that needed to fit better and I don't want to pay for nothing to really be done to the suit.
That depends on how much of an eye for fit and fashion you have.

Should a purse be large or small? Medium? Black? Or is it unprofessional to maybe have a cream one to match my shirt so everything else on me isn't black?

Should a purse be large or small? Medium? Black? Or is it unprofessional to maybe have a cream one to match my shirt so everything else on me isn't black?

Definitely not large, nothing that could double as a beach bag. As for color, it is traditional to match your shoes, but to me cream sounds found if it matches your blouse, but I'm not expert.

Too big: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-9bdLCUveZ...o/ajicVkU4Mp4/s1600/Laptop+bag+for+school.jpg
Too small: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/8c/54/84/8c5484cef8a9856d5fbc617c6e263d29.jpg
Just right: http://workchic.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/square-satchel.jpg

It doesn't have to be black but black is more versatile (and easier to keep clean) so if you're purchasing a bag, I'd go with black rather than cream.

Definitely not large, nothing that could double as a beach bag. As for color, it is traditional to match your shoes, but to me cream sounds found if it matches your blouse, but I'm not expert.
Too big: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-9bdLCUveZ...o/ajicVkU4Mp4/s1600/Laptop+bag+for+school.jpg
Too small: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/8c/54/84/8c5484cef8a9856d5fbc617c6e263d29.jpg
Just right: http://workchic.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/square-satchel.jpg

It doesn't have to be black but black is more versatile (and easier to keep clean) so if you're purchasing a bag, I'd go with black rather than cream.

Thanks for the help! I ended up with a black bag that is like an inch or two taller than the "just right" size. Hoping that's okay?

Shoe opinions!
Screen Shot 2015-09-20 at 4.36.02 PM.png
Screen Shot 2015-09-20 at 4.35.57 PM.png
Screen Shot 2015-09-20 at 4.35.52 PM.png

I'm very short - 5'2'' and feel like I should have a shoe with a decent amount of height. I'm also pretty comfortable walking in high heels. Are these shoes/shoe heights appropriate?

Shoe opinions!
I'm very short - 5'2'' and feel like I should have a shoe with a decent amount of height. I'm also pretty comfortable walking in high heels. Are these shoes/shoe heights appropriate?

Height is fine -- Of the shoes shown, the suede is too casual. And I'm not sure what it is that bugs me about the 'stripes' on the middle pair. But the first one is just right.

Height is fine -- Of the shoes shown, the suede is too casual. And I'm not sure what it is that bugs me about the 'stripes' on the middle pair. But the first one is just right.
The stripes are a common pattern for flats, maybe that's what they remind you of?

I like the first one too! The one that looks suede is actually just synthetic - not sure why it looks so suede-like in the picture.
The stripes gave me a weird vibe too haha

suit jacket.jpg
Also - suit jacket opinion! I'm very tiny and having a lot of trouble finding a suit that I'm not swimming in - either way, my suit's going to need a lot of altering. I picked this suit up today (Calvin Klein), but I'm not sure if it's appropriate. (pictured is only the suit jacket without the pants)

I also really like this suit, however I'd need to buy it online without trying it on as there's no store close to me.

Screen Shot 2015-09-20 at 6.34.57 PM.png

I agree that the jacket looks better, but is there fundamentally something wrong with peak lapels? I've dug through suiting guides from well-known tailors, and all of them said peak lapels are as formal or more formal than notch lapels. It's possible that's more of a european thing, along with double vents, which I think make suits lie neater at the sides.
A little too tuxedo, though not a deal-breaker (especially for women).

okay so what am i supposed to do with my hair? it's a little past my shoulders and i never learned how to style it - can i just straighten it and leave it down?

I vote for this one instead of the peak lapels.

Look closely, they both have peak lapels! I do like the 2nd one better just not sure if the online ordering/increased price is worth it.

okay so what am i supposed to do with my hair? it's a little past my shoulders and i never learned how to style it - can i just straighten it and leave it down?

I'm horrible at styling my hair so I'm planning to straighten it and pull pieces back out of my face. I think leaving it down could go badly if you end up constantly touching your hair/pushing it away from your face. With the two styles pictured, its completely away from your face so no temptation.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-09-20 at 10.40.22 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-09-20 at 10.40.22 PM.png
    175.3 KB · Views: 110
  • Screen Shot 2015-09-20 at 10.44.05 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-09-20 at 10.44.05 PM.png
    164.5 KB · Views: 106
Reactions: 2 users