Women's Interview Clothing #3!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone here use the website Tradesey?

I've been seeing television ads for them over the last several days and decided to list a few of my unworn but less high-end clothing (i.e. Ann Taylor, 7 for All Mankind, etc). Most of the consignment shops here only want the very high-end stuff like Gucci, Versace etc.

It might be a good option for some of you who are looking for suits and/or blouses since it looks pretty safe and easy. In less than 24 hours I've already gotten several bites on some of the things I listed.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone here use the website Tradesey?

I've been seeing television ads for them over the last several days and decided to list a few of my unworn but less high-end clothing (i.e. Ann Taylor, 7 for All Mankind, etc). Most of the consignment shops here only want the very high-end stuff like Gucci, Versace etc.

It might be a good option for some of you who are looking for suits and/or blouses since it looks pretty safe and easy. In less than 24 hours I've already gotten several bites on some of the things I listed.

and for those of us who live in the middle of nowhere and are deprived of the Ann Taylors, LOFTs, and Nordstrom Racks of the world :(

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Loreal infallible pro matte foundation is under 15$ and is a great long lasting choice that's similar in quality to super expensive Sephora stuff.

And does not transfer off onto my mask!!!!

A couple random curling iron curls, flip your head over, brush out = insta volume for everyday
I've got volume, it's just undisciplined, pure-frizz volume. Even my hairdresser can't make my hair look decent without spending 80yrs on it, which I WON'T do as a daily routine.

My mother insists that silk shells are better than polyester ones because the latter can be too clingy. Is this true? Does it really matter?

My mother insists that silk shells are better than polyester ones because the latter can be too clingy. Is this true? Does it really matter?
If I got to choose I'd take silk because it's nicer quality, but mine is polyester and not at all clingy. Just try them on!

I've got volume, it's just undisciplined, pure-frizz volume. Even my hairdresser can't make my hair look decent without spending 80yrs on it, which I WON'T do as a daily routine.

I also have very frizzy hair. Have you ever done a keratin treatment? It's amazing. Might be worth it for interviews.

I also have very frizzy hair. Have you ever done a keratin treatment? It's amazing. Might be worth it for interviews.
Ehhh, then I'd have to be an actual girl who does girly things like get her hair done. :p But mostly I have no money right now.
What does it do to the texture? Does it make it straighter? Cuz I think my problem is that I don't want it straight, I just want it the same wavy/curly that it is without the stupid frizz, and hair doesn't work like that.

Ehhh, then I'd have to be an actual girl who does girly things like get her hair done. :p But mostly I have no money right now.
What does it do to the texture? Does it make it straighter? Cuz I think my problem is that I don't want it straight, I just want it the same wavy/curly that it is without the stupid frizz, and hair doesn't work like that.

There are tons of products for that. Especially make sure you don't brush it dry- if you comb it in the shower, put some curl specific product on it after the shower, and let it air dry it should be significantly less frizzy.

There are tons of products for that. Especially make sure you don't brush it dry- if you comb it in the shower, put some curl specific product on it after the shower, and let it air dry it should be significantly less frizzy.
Right, it's not frizzy when I do that, but it just looks messy like I didn't brush it (because I didn't). The bottom gets those perfect, natural curls I want but above my ears it looks like Medusa...it's so bad I can't wear it like that to work, nevermind an interview. I just need a way to make the top look brushed without the bottom frizzing out, and that's what seems to be impossible.

Members don't see this ad :)
Alright, so what do you guys think of this top underneath a navy jacket? Are the pleats too distracting?

4136127_559_1

If the top of the jacket is open enough for the edges/points of the deep armholes to show, it'd look odd. Otherwise, I like the color.

Right, it's not frizzy when I do that, but it just looks messy like I didn't brush it (because I didn't). The bottom gets those perfect, natural curls I want but above my ears it looks like Medusa...it's so bad I can't wear it like that to work, nevermind an interview. I just need a way to make the top look brushed without the bottom frizzing out, and that's what seems to be impossible.

I see. I suppose my tip works best for people with very ringlet-like hair. Maybe you're like me and would be better off straightening or carefully blow drying! I've been practicing- I hear it's an important life skill to be able to look presentable or something- and I think it's sort of fun ;)

I see. I suppose my tip works best for people with very ringlet-like hair. Maybe you're like me and would be better off straightening or carefully blow drying! I've been practicing- I hear it's an important life skill to be able to look presentable or something- and I think it's sort of fun ;)
I refuse to spend that much time on my hair daily, or worry about frying it. Also, the slightest bit of humidity (like if I sweat a bit, once) and the entire straightening ordeal is wasted. For now I just look presentable by throwing it into a tight bun, but I'm starting to get bored with that.

And I do get defined curls/ringlets...they're just larger ones, and not neatly arranged up near the scalp.

I might suggest you try putting argan oil on your hair. You can get it for cheap on Amazon. I just rub a little bit in when my hair is damp and air dry the hair. It definitely controls the frizz well and makes your hair look healthier and calmer. Be careful on using it too much though because that will make your hair look greasy.

Olive oil works too but then you will smell like a salad.

Reactions: 2 users
I refuse to spend that much time on my hair daily, or worry about frying it. Also, the slightest bit of humidity (like if I sweat a bit, once) and the entire straightening ordeal is wasted. For now I just look presentable by throwing it into a tight bun, but I'm starting to get bored with that.

And I do get defined curls/ringlets...they're just larger ones, and not neatly arranged up near the scalp.

I hear ya on the time. I'm planning on cutting my hair shorter for similar reasons. Anyway I wouldn't do this stuff daily either- just on the special interview type days!

Being well-groomed isn't a girly thing. It's a professional thing.

The keratin treatment does make your hair straighter. But more importantly, it makes it so that all you have to do is blast your head with a blow drier and all of the frizziness will fall right out of it. It basically just makes your hair manageable and beautiful with minimal effort. It can be expensive, but there are also versions you can do at home if you have a flat iron.

Being well-groomed isn't a girly thing. It's a professional thing.

The keratin treatment does make your hair straighter. But more importantly, it makes it so that all you have to do is blast your head with a blow drier and all of the frizziness will fall right out of it. It basically just makes your hair manageable and beautiful with minimal effort. It can be expensive, but there are also versions you can do at home if you have a flat iron.
I am well-groomed, tyvm. I just can't have my hair look nice and well-groomed, so I opt for only the latter and leave my hair looking boring. Honestly, I don't want straight hair, I want my curls without the top looking unkempt. And while being well-groomed isn't girly, getting a perm (whatever version) is and that's just not me.

I am well-groomed, tyvm. I just can't have my hair look nice and well-groomed, so I opt for only the latter and leave my hair looking boring. Honestly, I don't want straight hair, I want my curls without the top looking unkempt. And while being well-groomed isn't girly, getting a perm (whatever version) is and that's just not me.

Okay. So look boring.

Okay. So look boring.
I will, until I find a way to make my hair do what I want; straight is not what I want, either. I'm sorry, I appreciate you giving me advice, but it's just not what I'm going for. I will be better about my attitude in the future...I was mostly joking about the girly thing (admittedly with a hint of seriousness), but I came across wrong.

Either way, I can still complain about my frizzy hair even if I'm not willing to put in an hour every morning to fix it. I'm complaining that I would have to put in an hour every morning if I wanted to fix it.

I will, until I find a way to make my hair do what I want; straight is not what I want, either. I'm sorry, I appreciate you giving me advice, but it's just not what I'm going for. I will be better about my attitude in the future...I was mostly joking about the girly thing (admittedly with a hint of seriousness), but I came across wrong.

Either way, I can still complain about my frizzy hair even if I'm not willing to put in an hour every morning to fix it. I'm complaining that I would have to put in an hour every morning if I wanted to fix it.

I know what you mean. I have curly/frizzy hair and I'm not interested in spending a ton of time working on it. Unfortunately, it's not gonna just magically get better on its own without me doing something "girly". There are some instances, e.g. med school interviews, my sister's wedding, etc., when I have to suck it up and spend some time on my stupid hair.

My curly haired friends with the frizz-wave issue have found great success in curling their hair with a curling iron of a similar diameter to their curls. The heat settles the frizz I think and allows for the curls to look more polished and uniform

But wtf do I know anyway

I know what you mean. I have curly/frizzy hair and I'm not interested in spending a ton of time working on it. Unfortunately, it's not gonna just magically get better on its own without me doing something "girly". There are some instances, e.g. med school interviews, my sister's wedding, etc., when I have to suck it up and spend some time on my stupid hair.
True. I just haven't found anything, yet, that actually does what I want for my hair. I've found no way to have it look professional AND keep its natural curl. So I end up killing the curls, which is what I meant by 'boring'.

I have found an interview hairdo that works for me, though, that's even quick to do and has a bit of curl to it - loose bun with my (long) bangs left out...they stay out of my face and stay curly, while the rest of my hair can't frizz because it's hidden in the bun.

But I'm still searching for that holy grail where my hair will stay curly but also be neat.

My curly haired friends with the frizz-wave issue have found great success in curling their hair with a curling iron of a similar diameter to their curls. The heat settles the frizz I think and allows for the curls to look more polished and uniform

But wtf do I know anyway
Yeah, I'll have to mess around with an iron one of these days. Thing is, the curls themselves look neat and don't frizz, it's just the scalp...it's not frizzy, it's just...the curls aren't sorted? I don't know how to explain it. You can see each individual curl, but they're jumbled around each other. At any rate, it's not likely to get fixed over the internet, so I'll stop bugging you guys.

Here's another possible blouse to go under the jacket, and I wouldn't have to worry about strap problems. However, I'm worried that the color may be too bright..?

DP0812201504323168M.tif

Here's another possible blouse to go under the jacket, and I wouldn't have to worry about strap problems. However, I'm worried that the color may be too bright..?

Color's fine --

Alas, I believe that I have finally compiled an outfit worth sharing on this board. :D Is this suitable for an interview in both warm and cold climates? Of course, I will be adding a long black dress coat and scarf for cooler climates. Please help prevent me from committing a fashion faux pas!

Note: I promise that is shade from my phone, not cleavage. If it is still too low, I could somehow discreetly pin/sew it, though it is higher when I button the jacket. Also, is the pattern too much? The shirt is not jersey - it is a nice material (faux silk?) so it feels dressy. I have the same shirt in purple, but everyone is saying that this one looks more professional. Also, the ring will come off!

Crossing my fingers that this isn't a disaster! :laugh::xf: Thank you in advance! This has been quite a challenge.

vrsf3l.jpg

A couple random curling iron curls, flip your head over, brush out = insta volume for everyday
Uh huh...says the <ahem> not so natural blonde. Lasting volume tends not to be our strong suit (although I admit the coarser gray hairs that are coming in are helping with that quite a bit)!

Last edited:
I don't know that I've ever noticed that as a wholesale difference. However static cling spray and or a couple of dryer sheets in your bag will be quite helpful as we head into the dryer winter months.

How can you make flats professional looking?? Needing for real help this time. I give up with the heels :(

I am of the belief that nearly nothing is impossible.

I suspect that you just never had your haircut and styled by someone who knows what they're doing. That can be hard on a student budget but like finding the right shoes or interview outfit, it's worth the investment. One of these days you'll find someone who will solve your hair problem.

Alas, I believe that I have finally compiled an outfit worth sharing on this board. :D Is this suitable for an interview in both warm and cold climates? Of course, I will be adding a long black dress coat and scarf for cooler climates. Please help prevent me from committing a fashion faux pas!

Note: I promise that is shade from my phone, not cleavage. If it is still too low, I could somehow discreetly pin/sew it, though it is higher when I button the jacket. Also, is the pattern too much? The shirt is not jersey - it is a nice material (faux silk?) so it feels dressy. I have the same shirt in purple, but everyone is saying that this one looks more professional. Also, the ring will come off!

Crossing my fingers that this isn't a disaster! :laugh::xf: Thank you in advance! This has been quite a challenge.

vrsf3l.jpg
Too much bosom showing.
A shell with a neckline that goes straight across the clavicles with this suit would be great.

DP0812201504323168M.tif
Nonsense. As noted above, the colors fine. That's the perfect type of short sleeve blouse to wear under your suit.

True. I just haven't found anything, yet, that actually does what I want for my hair. I've found no way to have it look professional AND keep its natural curl. So I end up killing the curls, which is what I meant by 'boring'.

I have found an interview hairdo that works for me, though, that's even quick to do and has a bit of curl to it - loose bun with my (long) bangs left out...they stay out of my face and stay curly, while the rest of my hair can't frizz because it's hidden in the bun.

But I'm still searching for that holy grail where my hair will stay curly but also be neat.

Yeah, I'll have to mess around with an iron one of these days. Thing is, the curls themselves look neat and don't frizz, it's just the scalp...it's not frizzy, it's just...the curls aren't sorted? I don't know how to explain it. You can see each individual curl, but they're jumbled around each other. At any rate, it's not likely to get fixed over the internet, so I'll stop bugging you guys.
Post a picture of these crazy curls of yours. I want to see what you're talking about. Maybe you're the only one that thinks it looks weird/unprofessional.

Last edited:
Too much bosom showing.
A shell with a neckline that goes straight across the clavicles with this suit would be great.
Agreed.

Despite your claim that's a shadow from your phone unless your breasts are sitting unnaturally low for a young woman I think we're seeing shadow of cleavage. I look at breasts professionally all day long so I know what I'm talking about. ;-)

I'm not a big fan of the color choice… It looks a little bland and boring to me. Frankly the purple might be better that had a higher neckline.

How short is the skirt when you sit down? What did the shoes look like?

At any rate, far from a disaster it just could be a little better.

Why are you giving up?

If you must wear lower heeled shoes, can you do a kitten heel or a small stack heel?

Im currently being treated for a pinched nerve in my SI joint and heels just really seem to aggravate it to an intolerable level.

Agreed.

Despite your claim that's a shadow from your phone unless your breasts are sitting unnaturally low for a young woman I think we're seeing shadow of cleavage. I look at breasts professionally all day long so I know what I'm talking about. ;-)

I'm not a big fan of the color choice… It looks a little bland and boring to me. Frankly the purple might be better that had a higher neckline.

How short is the skirt when you sit down? What did the shoes look like?
Hahaha :hilarious: then you are definitely the authority on the matter. I'm wearing a sports bra (I find that it makes suits fit better for me) so I don't think it is cleavage but you're probably right. I'll keep searching for another shirt. During interviews, do people ever take off their jacket? Are they ever unbuttoned? My first interview is at my first choice so I feel like I'm being tossed into the deep end haha.

The shoes have a 1-2 inch heel and are pretty plain. Are there any concerns about them?

As for the length, when I sit the skirt sito right at the back of my knee - it's doesn't ride up much. Do interviewees sit during MMIs? Thank you for your guidance!

Last edited:
Hahaha :hilarious: then you are definitely the authority on the matter. I'm wearing a sports bra (I find that it makes suits fit better for me) so I don't think it is cleavage but you're probably right. I'll keep searching for another shirt. During interviews, do people ever take off their jacket? Are they ever unbuttoned? My first interview is at my first choice so I feel like I'm being tossed into the deep end haha.

The shoes have a 1-2 inch heel and are pretty plain. Are there any concerns about them?

As for the length, when I sit the skirt sito right at the back of my knee - it's doesn't ride up much. Do interviewees sit during MMIs? Thank you for your guidance!
Your jacket should have the top button button and the bottom one unbuttoned. In general the rules are the same for women and men although women will be given more leeway if they button all the buttons.

The recommendation is typically to leave the jacket on at all times although some exceptions may be made for extremely warm weather when outside.

It sounds as if your skirt is the appropriate length and fits well. I thought it looked like you're wearing flat shoes. In general probably a 2 1/2 to 3 inch heel is recommended as it looks more professional and more mature. As far as being plain, they should be: no embellishments, pleats, bows, etc.

Finally we do not do MMI's and and I've never experienced one so others will have to comment on that aspect although you can expect to be sitting down at some point during the day.

Im currently being treated for a pinched nerve in my SI joint and heels just really seem to aggravate it to an intolerable level.
I see.

By the way if you cannot tolerate even a kitten or small stacked heel, then in general or pointed toe flat will look more professional and mature. Stay away from ballet flats or anything overly embellished.

I see.

By the way if you cannot tolerate even a kitten or small stacked heel, then in general or pointed toe flat will look more professional and mature. Stay away from ballet flats or anything overly embellished.

I havent even looked into a stacked heel, that's an excellent suggestion and i will look into that! Thanks!

Having done 3 MMIs, I sat behind a table for 2, and for one, I sat next to my interviewers.

Uh huh...says the <ahem> not so natural blonde. Lasting volume tends not to be our strong suit (although I admit the coarser gray hairs that are coming in are helping with that quite a bit)!

Isn't that the truth!

It sounds as if your skirt is the appropriate length and fits well. I thought it looked like you're wearing flat shoes. In general probably a 2 1/2 to 3 inch heel is recommended as it looks more professional and more mature. As far as being plain, they should be: no embellishments, pleats, bows, etc.
gasp!
*clenches fists, whispers angrily to self* ...my shoes had _bows_...

My shoes had bows!! *struggles to pull knife out of heart*