Women's Interview Clothing #3!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi folks!! Any recommendations on places/websites to go suit shopping. I'm totally lost but know for sure that I'm doing a pant suit. Plus I'm on a super tight budget. Thanks in advance

Not sure how tight is super tight, but for you or anyone else this might help: The Limited has 40% off full price currently and if you sign up for their mailing list you get $15 off each $50. So a pantsuit comes out to $120. If you can get up to $125, you'll even get free shipping. Banana Republic and Ann Taylor have nice suits that are a bit more expensive, though BR doesn't offer much variety.

You can also try department stores. I didn't have much luck there though. The styles--at the price points I was looking at, anyway--tended to be a bit frumpy. Definitely depends on your area though.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I got my suit from New York and Company. They often have BOGO deals on pants and pretty much all the suits in the store is made of the same material so you can mix and match styles.

I have a necklace with a small rectangle piece that has a really really subtle image of a religious Saint that I never took off before due to my beliefs. Is that ok?
That should be fine. If you can tuck it into a blouse that might be better but I don't think anyone is going to say "PHgeek was wearing jewelry clearly they don't belong in med school."

Members don't see this ad :)
image.png
Wish we could see the shirt, but we can't. A tank under it does make it sound too casual though. In general, a business shirt should be either silk (or silky fabric), cotton 'menswear-type' shirting (or similar fabric in a blend), or a light-to-medium weight silk-wool-like knit (NOT a T-shirt knit). There may be a few other options, but a T-shirt type knit is NOT what you want here, no matter what the cut or color.

Whoops! Sorry, didn't realize it was a faulty link. I've attached files of the shirt including how it looks on me. I'm thinking I don't want to risk any cleavage showing, but I just thought I'd double check on here. Love the shirt, but I don't have a more conservative tailored white blouse.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    126.1 KB · Views: 168
Last edited:
View attachment 207844 View attachment 207845

Whoops! Sorry, didn't realize it was a faulty link. I've attached files of the shirt including how it looks on me. I'm thinking I don't want to risk any cleavage showing, but I just thought I'd double check on here. Love the shirt, but I don't have a more conservative tailored white blouse.
It would be fine without the the steep V.

Reactions: 1 users
@ph3
really? I think its fine. Honestly, people can go on and on about "drawing eye, smell, attraction, etc. re: womens dress code. We know this from research in gender bias. wear what you are most confident and comfortable in.
*please don't set us back 100 yrs. Classy and conservative-- but no need to be a nun

I disagree, I think there is every reason to be a nun for the two biggest transition points in your entire career. Med school interviews and residency interviews.

The only other days that might rank up there in importance in your entire life would be marriage, birth of a child, or the last whatever with a loved one. Otherwise, I'd say that your medical career interviews are not days that are about how stylish you are.

if it didn't have the V thing then would it be considered a t-shirt? I like the comfort aspect of it and am highly considering to buy something similar without the V in cotton material.

if it didn't have the V thing then would it be considered a t-shirt? I like the comfort aspect of it and am highly considering to buy something similar without the V in cotton material.
No cotton T-shirts!
An opaque silk or matte silk man-made fiber in a shell would be perfect.

Reactions: 4 users

This shell is on sale at Macys right now. I bought that and a brand new Navy skirt suit. You get 25% off if you spend over $75.

ImageUploadedBySDN1471099487.417574.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

really? I think its fine. Honestly, people can go on and on about "drawing eye, smell, attraction, etc. re: womens dress code. We know this from research in gender bias. wear what you are most confident and comfortable in.
*please don't set us back 100 yrs. Classy and conservative-- but no need to be a nun
The purpose of interview dress is convey to the observer that you can adapt appropriately to the milieu in which you find yourself. Those who do not give this impression, lose a great opportunity.
You will notice in the men's attire thread that our expectations are also high, perhaps more so since latitude is so much narrower.
We only expect this twice in four years: medical school interviews and residency interviews.

Last edited by a moderator:

That particular V is kind of a "peek-a-boo" thing, so distracting for that reason. The suit cut is also fashion-conscious (short jacket, slimmer fit) rather than tailored professional.

Members don't see this ad :)
Fashion Cut versus Business Cut:

The picture on the left shows a dress suit that could actually work well if it were one-two sizes bigger on a woman who was five inches shorter so the dress hits just at the knee. The suit on the right shows the proper cut, though a navy or darker grey would be a better color, and the necklace is too casual.
J63023-GY.1
Women-Business-Suit-skirt.jpg

No cotton T-shirts!
An opaque silk or matte silk man-made fiber in a shell would be perfect.

Thanks! Also, if I have a tattoo from my shoulder to elbow then it would be best to get a full sleeve silk under shirt right just in case I need to take off the jacket during the tour?

is a handbag necessary? I feel like it can be a nag to carry...any opinions? And generally what does one put in it? I feel like all I need would be a pen, cash, visa card and water bottle?

Fashion Cut versus Business Cut:

The picture on the left shows a dress suit that could actually work well if it were one-two sizes bigger on a woman who was five inches shorter so the dress hits just at the knee. The suit on the right shows the proper cut, though a navy or darker grey would be a better color, and the necklace is too casual.
J63023-GY.1
Women-Business-Suit-skirt.jpg

So now I think I'm a little bit more concerned than I need to be. I think my suit looks exactly like the business cut except it's missing one button and the jacket is shorter (btw I'm over 6' tall and everything looks a little bit short on me). I also live in a very rural area working 2 jobs to pay bills so I'm not going to have the time, money, or resources to get a custom-made, tailored suit. I absolutely understand the importance of these interviews, but are the minor details of my suit really going to be a deal breaker? This is my first application cycle, and I'm really hoping it's going to be my last.

First of all I would share, I always wear an oxford shirt with a matching or black camisole underneath for any button gapping (espically if you're bustier). You don't want it to button ALL the way, but it should NOT have too much of a V.

It's hard to go wrong with an oxford if you wear a pantsuit. Although I was told a pantsuit is not looking on as favorabley as a skirt in some places, but that's mostly culture, location, adn the age of the admin. But you know what? Tough cookies on that one for me. It gets cold and I can hardly do heels. Also, I could afford only one suit and didn't get a second one until residency interviews.

is a handbag necessary? I feel like it can be a nag to carry...any opinions? And generally what does one put in it? I feel like all I need would be a pen, cash, visa card and water bottle?

It isn't and I may have an earlier post about this but I'll cover.

I liked having a bag for a lot of reasons. One, you can have walking tour shoes, and interview shoes and swap them out. I like a mirror say if something gets in my eye, toothpick/floss cuz lunch, breath mints for same reason, water, a snack (some of the breakfast snacks or lunches leave a lot to be desired), energy drink (tiny bottle kind), eye drops, maybe some tylenol or advil for headache or feet walking around, I had cold medicine just cuz, and sure enough ended up needing it! smartphone and charger! I like putting some of the handouts you get in it, my resume.

Just some ideas and what I do.

residency interivews they are more likely to give you gifts like coffee mugs

Can you find one without the big logo? There are some beautiful faux-leather bags on this page, almost the same price, that don't have a large logo. Just don't go for a huge satchel "sack." The BP Round Handle tote, about halfway down the page, looks similar to the Guess purse you suggested.

http://shop.nordstrom.com/c/womens-handbags/faux-leather

So now I think I'm a little bit more concerned than I need to be. I think my suit looks exactly like the business cut except it's missing one button and the jacket is shorter (btw I'm over 6' tall and everything looks a little bit short on me). I also live in a very rural area working 2 jobs to pay bills so I'm not going to have the time, money, or resources to get a custom-made, tailored suit. I absolutely understand the importance of these interviews, but are the minor details of my suit really going to be a deal breaker? This is my first application cycle, and I'm really hoping it's going to be my last.

Can you post a picture sans head? On the suit jacket, it's not the number of buttons, but rather the fit. It should not be 'body conscious' but should fit well -- a tough line to navigate if you haven't spent much time in the adult professional world. What you see on TV is 98% of the time one-two sizes too small and way too sexy. Look at female politicians (OK not Hillary) and NOT TV Newswomen or lawyers on TV shows.

First of all I would share, I always wear an oxford shirt with a matching or black camisole underneath for any button gapping (espically if you're bustier). You don't want it to button ALL the way, but it should NOT have too much of a V.

It's hard to go wrong with an oxford if you wear a pantsuit. Although I was told a pantsuit is not looking on as favorabley as a skirt in some places, but that's mostly culture, location, adn the age of the admin. But you know what? Tough cookies on that one for me. It gets cold and I can hardly do heels. Also, I could afford only one suit and didn't get a second one until residency interviews.

I have a pantsuit, but I worry that short hair+petite+pantsuit gives off a bit of a Justin Beiber pre-bulking up vibe. I'm so not used to skirts though, I only wear pants and dresses :dead:

Can you post a picture sans head? On the suit jacket, it's not the number of buttons, but rather the fit. It should not be 'body conscious' but should fit well -- a tough line to navigate if you haven't spent much time in the adult professional world. What you see on TV is 98% of the time one-two sizes too small and way too sexy. Look at female politicians (OK not Hillary) and NOT TV Newswomen or lawyers on TV shows.

Totally understand! My pants are being tailored now, so I will post a pic when I get them tomorrow. But yes, my suit does run more on the fashion side, I'll admit, but when I got it I thought it looked quite professional and conservative with the exception of how short the jacket it. Unfortunately I don't have time to shop around anymore since I have an interview at my state school this week and I kind of have to go with what I've got.

Follow-up question: should we wear a nude/sheer trouser sock if we're wearing heels with our pants suit?

I have a pantsuit, but I worry that short hair+petite+pantsuit gives off a bit of a Justin Beiber pre-bulking up vibe. I'm so not used to skirts though, I only wear pants and dresses :dead:
This sounds fine. Wear pants if you are more comfortable in them.

Any thoughts on a high waisted pencil skirt for a petite woman? Does it read as too trendy?
Well you're wearing your jacket the whole time, who's to know?

My concern would be the proportions on you; high waisted skirts tend to be best on those with a longer torso and smaller (and perkier) bustline.

It's about time you showed up!
Ha ha...

Its been a busy summer: trip to Paris for Mom's 75th b-day and I'm moving into a new house.

Figured I would take a break from unpacking boxes!

(oh and there was an issue with two step verification and I couldn't log in for about a week)

Where can I find some comfortable pumps? I am not very accustomed to wearing any sort of heel.

Where can I find some comfortable pumps? I am not very accustomed to wearing any sort of heel.

There are multiple posts above in which people give examples of shoes they found to be comfortable. I suggest reading through the thread even just the last couple of pages for some information.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Can you keep it with you somewhere that is not visible?
Pendants of all kinds can be distracting. They tend to draw the eye down to the bosom.

Found a shirt that can keep it hidden. Thanks gyngyn :)

I recent got these at Clarks and they are so comfy! Clarks has so many other comfy heels and I suggest you go to one to try them out because their sizes are not always consistent. They are a little bit more pricey but very reliable.

http://www.clarksusa.com/us/womens/womens-wide-fit-heels/rosalyn-belle-black-leather/p/26111581

Thanks so much!

Also, should women carry a formal purse or would a nice backpack be acceptable (such as a Herschel)? Need something to hold my padfolio.

Thanks so much!

Also, should women carry a formal purse or would a nice backpack be acceptable (such as a Herschel)? Need something to hold my padfolio.
Backpacks are fine as luggage, not as a handbag.

Reactions: 2 users

This is what pumps are for -- They change pubescent Justin Bieber to sophisticated urban woman. Yeah, really. Good pumps can do this --

Backpacks say "college student". Is that what you're wanting to say?

Any thoughts on this jacket?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    113.7 KB · Views: 269
While my heels are comfortable enough, I have feet issues and would rather switch to flats during the tours. Would these flats be appropriate?

Bella Vita Women's Twirl Ballet Flat, Brown Leather, 6 W US Amazon product

View attachment 207925

PS advice to all of you - try on your full ensemble before your actual interviews! I tried on both my new suit and my old one that I'll be using as backup and it turns out that I need to get the old one tailored again because I lost weight (not a huge amount but still, enough that the jacket now just hangs on me). I would not have realized otherwise until right before my cluster of interviews, so I'm super happy I have the extra time now to fix the problem.