Women's Interview Clothing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My pants were hemmed too short and I had to find last minute shorter heels....what do you guys think of these two options....the round toe is more comfortable for my all day interview/tour....but it has a patent leather cap toe, is that acceptable? It also has a wedge heel while the other is a regular skinny heel. View attachment 188782View attachment 188783View attachment 188784
I think the pointy toe looks more adult/professional, but the cap toe is fine if it's significantly more comfortable.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
My pants were hemmed too short and I had to find last minute shorter heels....what do you guys think of these two options....the round toe is more comfortable for my all day interview/tour....but it has a patent leather cap toe, is that acceptable? It also has a wedge heel while the other is a regular skinny heel. View attachment 188782View attachment 188783View attachment 188784

I vote pointy-toe too! So much more professional. The buckle + the round toe seems a bit on the casual side.

Reactions: 3 users
I went with the pointy toe :) felt very polished and confident, and as a bonus they were pretty comfy for heels!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yep, pointy toe for the win (PS - I'm not sure if that's your skin but if not, please don't wear white/cream stockings).

Haha I almost added an addendum when I posted the picture.....the lighting was weird and made me look crazy pale! Do not despair, I did not in fact purchase cream nylons :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Reactions: 1 user
Haha I almost added an addendum when I posted the picture.....the lighting was weird and made me look crazy pale! Do not despair, I did not in fact purchase cream nylons :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
LOL...it looks better in the subsequent pics.

In the first one, your skin is so smooth, so perfect, without visible veins, etc. which is what made me think it might possibly be nylons.

thanks for the replies! :) I will keep this in mind when i shop for suits.

Speaking of which, when is the best season to buy suits?
I read somewhere that suits usually go on sale in January.
I went suit shopping in the summer, and I had a REALLY hard time finding any dark gray or deep navy suits. Most were white, khaki, light gray, light navy/blue, etc. Also, since it was insanely hot outside, all the suits were made of really light material (which is practical but looked cheap to me). I was also trying to find a nice blouse to wear with my suit because button downs aren't flattering on me, but I couldn't find anything that wasn't sleeveless or translucent. The saleslady told me that I was having so many difficulties because of the season. So, I'd definitely recommend going in the fall/winter.

I saw someone on the interview trail in a light beige, short skirt suit, waist length hair down and loose, no nylons, four inch purple platform heels, bright, bright green handbag.

Ladies, do not be that person.

However there were no women on the comittee so we'll see who comes out the winner.

I saw someone on the interview trail in a light beige, short skirt suit, waist length hair down and loose, no nylons, four inch purple platform heels, bright, bright green handbag.

Ladies, do not be that person.

However there were no women on the comittee so we'll see who comes out the winner.

That person was not an SDNer

So...pointy shoes for the win, for sure! Just found out I was accepted at the school I interviewed at Friday, musta' been the power shoes :D

Congrats @Tradewinds! Where did you get your outfit/the shoes? I'm applying next year but it wouldn't hurt to get some interview clothing since I need professional clothing for other occasions anyway.

I am quite tall, so I got the suit online from J.crew since it's one of the few nicer stores that carries tall suit jackets/pants (wait for their 30% off sales, which they have at least a few times a year) and the shoes are Michael Kors, just from Macy's (I have the eggplant version as well- with a higher heal, but for the interview I got the black kitten heal) got the suit tailored, it was well worth it! You're fortunate if you're searching so far in advance, I got some great deals on some nice quality dress clothes over the holidays/Black Friday/cyber Monday...Ann Taylor...banana republic...j.crew. The limited etc. You should take advantage next year :) really every change of season has good sales and dress basics don't go out of style so quickly. Best of luck to you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone! SoCal girl who grew up in tropical climates here, interviewing in North Chicago in a few weeks. Was thinking of wearing a pant suit but I cannot, for the love of God, find pants that suit me (pun not intended). I have an outer coat and a skirt suit (grey) but am worried that my legs will freeze to death. Is it okay to wear black tights underneath? I also have professional looking boots that I've been wearing wuth pant suits (back when they fit me) but they go a few inches above the ankle. Can I wear those with the skirt and tights? Thanks in advance.

So...pointy shoes for the win, for sure! Just found out I was accepted at the school I interviewed at Friday, musta' been the power shoes :D

That's a helluva turnover.

Congrats @Tradewinds! Where did you get your outfit/the shoes? I'm applying next year but it wouldn't hurt to get some interview clothing since I need professional clothing for other occasions anyway.
Banana Republic for the win (literally) when 40% off for plain, simple and high quality leather goods appropriate for professional use.

Hi everyone! SoCal girl who grew up in tropical climates here, interviewing in North Chicago in a few weeks. Was thinking of wearing a pant suit but I cannot, for the love of God, find pants that suit me (pun not intended). I have an outer coat and a skirt suit (grey) but am worried that my legs will freeze to death. Is it okay to wear black tights underneath? I also have professional looking boots that I've been wearing wuth pant suits (back when they fit me) but they go a few inches above the ankle. Can I wear those with the skirt and tights? Thanks in advance..

Sorry - If you wear a skirt, you need hose and shoes, not tights and boots. You probably won't be outside too much in Chicago in winter, so don't worry too much about it.

Hi everyone! SoCal girl who grew up in tropical climates here, interviewing in North Chicago in a few weeks. Was thinking of wearing a pant suit but I cannot, for the love of God, find pants that suit me (pun not intended). I have an outer coat and a skirt suit (grey) but am worried that my legs will freeze to death. Is it okay to wear black tights underneath? I also have professional looking boots that I've been wearing wuth pant suits (back when they fit me) but they go a few inches above the ankle. Can I wear those with the skirt and tights? Thanks in advance..

Wear two pairs of hose--much warmer.

Also, I found it easier to be in the snow with a skirt suit than a pant suit. The hem of my pants would always get dirty from the slush, but with a skirt suit, I could easily change my hose if any slush splashed on them.

Thanks for the input, Doktermom and snowflakes!

Sorry - If you wear a skirt, you need hose and shoes, not tights and boots. You probably won't be outside too much in Chicago in winter, so don't worry too much about it.

In all honesty, as an interviewer I wouldn't fault you for wearing a professional pair of ankle booties with a reasonable heel. Of course this is only one person's opinion but unless you looked like a train wreck it wouldn't factor in how I rate the interview. I understand most of you are students and I still am one, with a lot of debt too, so all I expect is a pant or skirt suit (top and bottom same color ... surprised how some still don't get this memo), coordinating shoes and a professional top. Bam. Done.

In all honesty, as an interviewer I wouldn't fault you for wearing a professional pair of ankle booties with a reasonable heel. Of course this is only one person's opinion but unless you looked like a train wreck it wouldn't factor in how I rate the interview. I understand most of you are students and I still am one, with a lot of debt too, so all I expect is a pant or skirt suit (top and bottom same color ... surprised how some still don't get this memo), coordinating shoes and a professional top. Bam. Done.

You bring up a good point -- The interviewees are still students, so to some extent, it's acceptable to dress the part. This means that your interview clothes need not necessarily be (or even look) expensive.

But, you should look like you know what is expected of you (professional appearance), that you understand what that entails (suit, hose, make-up, tidy hair), and that once you have the income to support it, you will dress to fit into the upper middle class expected of those in your profession.

Think of it this way -- If you ran into your interviewer the night before in a bar, your nose piercing, black nail polish and shoulder tattoo wouldn't be a problem. You're young, in a bar, and have every right to look the part. In that context, there's nothing inappropriate in your attire, and you've got reasonably wide latitude in your conduct even. (Provided it's not a 'meet the med students' social, of course!) But when you come to the interview the next day, your tat needs to be fully covered, your nails neutral, and your piercing removed. Show that you know (and will live by) the code.

You bring up a good point -- The interviewees are still students, so to some extent, it's acceptable to dress the part. This means that your interview clothes need not necessarily be (or even look) expensive.

But, you should look like you know what is expected of you (professional appearance), that you understand what that entails (suit, hose, make-up, tidy hair), and that once you have the income to support it, you will dress to fit into the upper middle class expected of those in your profession.

Think of it this way -- If you ran into your interviewer the night before in a bar, your nose piercing, black nail polish and shoulder tattoo wouldn't be a problem. You're young, in a bar, and have every right to look the part. In that context, there's nothing inappropriate in your attire, and you've got reasonably wide latitude in your conduct even. (Provided it's not a 'meet the med students' social, of course!) But when you come to the interview the next day, your tat needs to be fully covered, your nails neutral, and your piercing removed. Show that you know (and will live by) the code.

Agreed

This is me channeling any pre-interview anxiety into my choice of footwear:

I have an interview coming up at a school in Maine. They've had a lot of snow up there recently, and I'm wondering if I can get away with wearing boots with my suit.
I have these trousers, but in navy:
img-thing

And I'm thinking of wearing them with these boots:
look-casual-chic7.jpg

Thoughts?

I have an interview coming up at a school in Maine. They've had a lot of snow up there recently, and I'm wondering if I can get away with wearing boots with my suit.
img-thing

look-casual-chic7.jpg

Thoughts?

You can wear boots to the interview and change into your pumps once you arrive. You likely won't go outside much after you arrive at the interview, so the boots should only be worn while commuting to/from the interview.

Thoughts?

Perhaps find out if you need to go outside in the snow? I wore something like this under a pant suit to an interview, and I am glad I did. It turned out I had to walk about 15 minutes outside to get to my interview (and an additional 15 minutes to get back to the admissions office). Some people were lucky and got to stay inside the entire day. This was probably the only school I visited that didn't have tunnels.

That day, for some reason, a good majority of the female interviewees were wearing flats (one girl had an orange pair; another had a pair with straps that looked like large bandaids). Lots of puffy coats made their appearance as well.

Last edited:
Perhaps find out if you need to go outside in the snow? I wore something like this under a pant suit to an interview, and I am glad I did. It turned out I had to walk about 15 minutes outside to get to my interview (and an additional 15 minutes to get back to the admissions office). Some people were lucky and got to stay inside the entire day. This was probably the only school I visited that didn't have tunnels.

That day, for some reason, a good majority of the female interviewees were wearing flats (one girl had an orange pair; another had a pair with straps that looked like large bandaids). Lots of puffy coats made their appearance as well.
Thanks for the input–and I'm glad to hear someone else wore shoes like this under their suit. There is a campus tour and, having been to the UNE campus, I'm pretty sure there will be a bit of walking in the outdoors. Plus – who wants to worry about cold toes during an interview!?

Hey, all, I'm going to be attending a medical education program this summer and we're required to wear "business attire." I've found 3 options that I like, but I'm not entirely sure of any one. Here's number one; https://factory.jcrew.com/womens-cl...arates/PRDOVR~B9333/B9333.jsp?color_name=navy https://factory.jcrew.com/womens-cl...arates/PRDOVR~B9335/B9335.jsp?color_name=navy . Here's number two; https://factory.jcrew.com/womens-cl...RDOVR~A7824/A7824.jsp?color_name=hthr-flannel https://factory.jcrew.com/womens-cl...RDOVR~A7826/A7826.jsp?color_name=hthr-flannel and number three; https://factory.jcrew.com/womens-cl...rates/PRDOVR~A7826/A7826.jsp?color_name=black https://factory.jcrew.com/womens-clothing/suiting/suiting_separates/PRDOVR~A7824/A7824.jsp . The reservations I have about the first is that it's made of cotton, not wool, and the blazer is "cropped" with only one button, which may make it less professional. I'm not sure if the second suit, which is gray, is dark enough for business attire, and the last suit, which is the one I would normally purchase (i.e., before perusing this thread and learning to question my judgment!) is the best option, but the black does wash out my skin some. I'm ethnic but still not very dark, and I would wear a colored blouse or shirt to avoid the 'butler look.' Any advice?

I dunno what this "Cropped" is referring to as it looks like a full length blazer to me. One button or two is fine. Doesn't matter. As long as blazer matches pants/skirt and fits right you're good to go. If you want to be safe, choose black, navy or gray (dark gray preferred, but the gray you linked here is perfectly fine.) If you think black washes you out then go with Navy or Gray, black is boring anyway ;)

Hey, all, I'm going to be attending a medical education program this summer and we're required to wear "business attire." I've found 3 options that I like, but I'm not entirely sure of any one. Here's number one; https://factory.jcrew.com/womens-cl...arates/PRDOVR~B9333/B9333.jsp?color_name=navy https://factory.jcrew.com/womens-cl...arates/PRDOVR~B9335/B9335.jsp?color_name=navy . Here's number two; https://factory.jcrew.com/womens-cl...RDOVR~A7824/A7824.jsp?color_name=hthr-flannel https://factory.jcrew.com/womens-cl...RDOVR~A7826/A7826.jsp?color_name=hthr-flannel and number three; https://factory.jcrew.com/womens-cl...rates/PRDOVR~A7826/A7826.jsp?color_name=black https://factory.jcrew.com/womens-clothing/suiting/suiting_separates/PRDOVR~A7824/A7824.jsp . The reservations I have about the first is that it's made of cotton, not wool, and the blazer is "cropped" with only one button, which may make it less professional. I'm not sure if the second suit, which is gray, is dark enough for business attire, and the last suit, which is the one I would normally purchase (i.e., before perusing this thread and learning to question my judgment!) is the best option, but the black does wash out my skin some. I'm ethnic but still not very dark, and I would wear a colored blouse or shirt to avoid the 'butler look.' Any advice?

Not exactly sure what "ethnic" means, so I am currently picturing either what looks like a permanent tan on a pale individual to caramel or milk chocolate. With that in mind, I assume you refer to "butler" as a black and white combo. I personally think, since it is a summer program, the first choice in cotton seems most logical. I think the khaki with a nice coral top would be beautiful on a person with a richer skin tone than my pale, pasty self. However, I defer to the professors/adcoms of the page.

There are a few levels for business attire from business formal to business casual, and what constitutes business casual can vary from place to place. You might call and ask your program what they mean, or check out their website and/or FB page for what staff are wearing in staff photos.

I was wondering if ankle length pants are absolutely a no go? I was thinking of pants like these...

Screen Shot 2015-05-28 at 5.17.50 PM.png
Screen Shot 2015-05-28 at 5.18.08 PM.png

Your best bet will be to save the trendy ankle lengths for something like second look events/ orientation week dinners. These are events where you need to look professional but you are already accepted so have more leeway in showing your personal style.

Your best bet will be to save the trendy ankle lengths for something like second look events/ orientation week dinners. Events where you need to look professional but you are already accepted.

I figured.

I wore an ankle suit to all of my interviews and a lot of the guys were wearing more fashionable slim cut suits. I don't think it matters as long as it looks good on you and has conservative coloring.
Do you know if the "slim suits" got in, though?
And if so, was it in spite of their suit!

A suit is expected. The jacket and trousers, by definition must be of the same fabric.

Yes, I am aware of this. But for the pants I was wondering if the lengths in the pictures were okay?

Yes, I am aware of this. But for the pants I was wondering if the lengths in the pictures were okay?
If you really like the style or have long legs, you can buy the pants and pay like $5-$10 to extend them just an inch or half and it should be good. Which is what I did basically. It's odd that these days all the slightly more fashionable pants of the suits these days are all ankle length.

If you really like the style or have long legs, you can buy the pants and pay like $5-$10 to extend them just an inch or half and it should be good. Which is what I did basically. It's odd that these days all the slightly more fashionable pants of the suits these days are all ankle length.
Ok. thank you :)

Wow this is a really long thread! I read the first page and the last, so I don't know what's been said...apologize if I repeat

Also important to remember female interview etiquette, such as crossing your ankles at the side as opposed to crossing your legs at the knee, especially while in a skirt!

A small professional tote bag is appropriate, in a color such as black or something to match your attire. I always bring mine to carry a black professional note book (not the spiral kind) that I keep on the side during the interview to write anything down that I find interesting that they tell me about, so I can ask questions about after the interview. And I ALWAYS have a few questions prepared written down to ask after anyway.

Make up is appropriate but minimal or neutral.

And nails! No crazy nails!

Also important to remember female interview etiquette, such as crossing your ankles at the side as opposed to crossing your legs at the knee, especially while in a skirt!
Yeah, god forbid we not be 'dainty'. :rolleyes:

This thread always makes me remember how much I hate being a woman.

Eff heels, eff makeup, eff complicated fashion (guys get to wear a simple friggin suit to everything!)
Eff different etiquette and posture for girls vs guys...there's no reason for it. If it's not impolite for a guy to cross his legs normally, I don't see why it would be for anyone else wearing pants.
Eff women's hair, it's such a PITA but you get judged if you chop it all off (and heaven forbid you get a nice buzz like dudes can pull off).
Again, eff heels. They're evil.

Being female sucks, especially when you start trying to be professional (aka it becomes socially acceptable for people to judge you on your appearance and femininity, and even deny you opportunities over it).

Yes, I can pull it off, and yes, I know you can go simple...but what a gorram waste of time and thought. I'll jump through the hoops like anyone else, but damned if I'll embrace it.

Seems exhausting to be so angry about such things.
It is. That is why I do it very rarely and when it shows up, I dissipate it all into unsuspecting SDN threads! :laugh:

Thoughts on doubly-pierced ears (earlobes)—unprofessional? Probably would wear pearl studs for the first set and smaller gold studs for the second.

Now that I think more about it, I feel like I already know the answer... :lame:

Thoughts on doubly-pierced ears (earlobes)—unprofessional? Probably would wear pearl studs for the first set and smaller gold studs for the second.

Now that I think more about it, I feel like I already know the answer... :lame:

I have double pierced ears as well and even though they are barely noticeable I would err on the side of caution and go with only pearl studs for the first set and nothing for the second. Certainly not a deal breaker but it's best to be conservative I think.

Alright, here's my big outfit rundown:

SKIRT + BLAZER
I bought this skirt a few month ago: http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/halogen-textured-suit-skirt-regular-petite/3726888

The fabric is a little textured and I won't be able to find a suit jacket of the same fabric. Would it be okay for me to wear a generic black blazer, as long as the fabric isn't /too/ different? I really like this skirt since it's comfortable and of a good length on me. I also have pants...but I'm pretty short, so they just make me look shorter.

HOSIERY
I was in a bike accident and have some injuries on my legs- mild scars and discoloration. It doesn't look super terrible since it's been a few months now, but the remnants are still there. I've heard mixed opinions about this, but I've heard that we're supposed to wear hose that matches our skin color. I have medium-fair skin, but I want to wear black hose since they cover the scars completely. Big no-no? I don't know anything about fashion!

BLOUSE
I have a lot of button-downs, but they all look weird with a blazer. I think it's just my frame, but I can't get it to work. I look a lot better in blouses, but I'm having trouble finding formal blouses since I'm really tiny (like, size XS sometimes is big on me). Any suggestions?

Alright, here's my big outfit rundown:

SKIRT + BLAZER
I bought this skirt a few month ago: http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/halogen-textured-suit-skirt-regular-petite/3726888

The fabric is a little textured and I won't be able to find a suit jacket of the same fabric. Would it be okay for me to wear a generic black blazer, as long as the fabric isn't /too/ different? I really like this skirt since it's comfortable and of a good length on me. I also have pants...but I'm pretty short, so they just make me look shorter.

HOSIERY
I was in a bike accident and have some injuries on my legs- mild scars and discoloration. It doesn't look super terrible since it's been a few months now, but the remnants are still there. I've heard mixed opinions about this, but I've heard that we're supposed to wear hose that matches our skin color. I have medium-fair skin, but I want to wear black hose since they cover the scars completely. Big no-no? I don't know anything about fashion!

BLOUSE
I have a lot of button-downs, but they all look weird with a blazer. I think it's just my frame, but I can't get it to work. I look a lot better in blouses, but I'm having trouble finding formal blouses since I'm really tiny (like, size XS sometimes is big on me). Any suggestions?

Okay, for the suit, I would err on the side of matching and get a truly matched set. Nordstrom's anniversary sale is coming up soon (~3 weeks), so you can likely get a deal on a suit from Halogen's petite line. Mismatching suit fabrics won't be the death of your application, however, a well put together interview look can compliment your wonderful self!

Hosiery: hold of on black hose/tights until the fall or winter (or preferably not during an interview at all). If you want to hide some scars, I would recommend wearing a pant suit, even though you're petite. You can create a little bit of vertical length if you can handle wearing heels (~2 inch, even those with chunkier heels) without looking stumpy if your pants are hemmed at the appropriate length.

Blouses: I would suggest that you check out places such as J Crew, J Crew Factory, Ann Taylor, Loft, etc. There is a pretty high chance that you won't find blouses in your exact size in their physical stores, so might have to order online. Many of these stores sell size XSS, sometimes in petites, however, if you can only find shirts that ALMOST fit, consider getting that item tailored.

Also, check out this blog for more petite fashion help:
http://www.extrapetite.com/p/petite-resources.html?m=1

Thanks so much for your detailed response! It's a little confusing because I have a lot of work clothes (a million pencil skirts + short sleeve blouses + cardigan) and hadn't realized how much more formal interviews were. I suppose I should try to get a matching suit and a cap or mid-sleeve blouse. I thought I could just upgrade my work wardrobe by throwing on some hosiery and a blazer instead of a cardigan and call it a day!

Speaking of blouses again...it's okay to wear a short sleeve blouse since I'll be wearing the suit jacket over it, right? I know in summer months people sometimes take off the jackets during tours, but as long as the blouse is modest, short sleeve/cap sleeve is okay?

Hosiery: hold of on black hose/tights until the fall or winter (or preferably not during an interview at all).
By that, do you mean "wear nude hose during the summer"? I never really understood why black hose looks less professional...IMO it looks a lot better! Ah well...my scars aren't so bad that nude hose wouldn't cover them up, but I just generally don't like the look of nude hose that much.

Last edited:
Thanks so much for your detailed response! It's a little confusing because I have a lot of work clothes (a million pencil skirts + short sleeve blouses + cardigan) and hadn't realized how much more formal interviews were. I suppose I should try to get a matching suit and a cap or mid-sleeve blouse. I thought I could just upgrade my work wardrobe by throwing on some hosiery and a blazer instead of a cardigan and call it a day!

Speaking of blouses again...it's okay to wear a short sleeve blouse since I'll be wearing the suit jacket over it, right? I know in summer months people sometimes take off the jackets during tours, but as long as the blouse is modest, short sleeve/cap sleeve is okay?

By that, do you mean "wear nude hose during the summer"? I never really understood why black hose looks less professional...IMO it looks a lot better! Ah well...my scars aren't so bad that nude hose wouldn't cover them up, but I just generally don't like the look of nude hose that much.
A short/cap sleeve blouse is fine, as long as you don't take off your jacket except for the tour.
Personally, I find that black hose reminds me of tights, which come off as a hit childish and unprofessional.