Worst admissions staff in the country.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I gotta say, I interviewed there recently and had a really positive experience. I thought the school was great and it is by far at the top of my list of schools. sorry for the bad go round jalby

Members don't see this ad.

I gotta say, I interviewed there recently and had a really positive experience. I thought the school was great and it is by far at the top of my list of schools. sorry for the bad go round jalby

You are welcome

Members don't see this ad :)
Drexel.

Possibly NSU (DO). Sent out, then rescinded II (not to me, but to others). Then sent out emails saying "Congrats again on your acceptance, we have received your deposit..." to everyone who applied.

Reactions: 1 user
Drexel.

Possibly NSU (DO). Sent out, then rescinded II (not to me, but to others). Then sent out emails saying "Congrats again on your acceptance, we have received your deposit..." to everyone who applied.

Wat. That is infuriating.

Reactions: 1 user
Wat. That is infuriating.

Yea. At the risk of identifying myself to them (don't care, not matriculating) their online status checker says I have 2 LORs from PTs, one from a DMD, and one from a DDS. I don't have a single letter from either of those professions.

:thumbup:

I always enjoy it every time this thread is bumped :laugh:

Honestly, I just found out about this thread from another sdner and realized it was active since 2001 lol

I think Georgetown is very sorry for ever messing with an SDNer .....ACOM is learning the same lesson lol

Honestly, I just found out about this thread from another sdner and realized it was active since 2001 lol

I think Georgetown is very sorry for ever messing with an SDNer .....ACOM is learning the same lesson lol

Judging from the number of applicants they get I'm going to guess that GU is doing just fine.

Yeah, I was almost dissuaded by this thread to not apply, but then I took a campus visit and was all like "That Georgetown swag tho'."

PCOM

On another note; UMDNJ-SOM has the nicest staff I've worked with.

Funny, because I met a 4th year medical student at an interview who told me they withdrew from Georgetown on their flight back from the interview because they had such a bad time.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I was almost dissuaded by this thread to not apply, but then I took a campus visit and was all like "That Georgetown swag tho'."

As I have said before, Georgetown, the medical school, is a great school in a great city. I just have problems with the admission department (With the same people who treated me like a number 11 years ago) treat people. That being said, I have heard they have changed, or should I say have been forced to change......

You and me both....
My cousin graduated from Georgetown in '08 and complained about the same nonsense with their admissions department way back when. He loved the school, though.

Still posting in your original thread 11 years on like a boss!

Still posting in your original thread 11 years on like a boss!

As I said in 2005, what's the point of having a grudge if you don't use it???

LOL so true, them and their 10K+ applicants = balling

Not to mention one of the most expensive secondary fees in the country!

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

I was rejected by a school, then asked 3 months later to submit a secondary, then rejected again. I was rejected by a different school, then 3 months later I was asked to interview and accepted in the same day...

Which schools? (Provided you didn't matriculate to the 2nd one)

Could that possibly have been some kind of sick joke? Maybe someone in the admissions office wanting to mess with applicants?

Just want to share this delectable tidbit of administrative red tape:

So, my college (a top LAC) puts together a pre-health committee packet including the full text of each individual LOR plus a pre-health committee statement. Between years off and EC's, by application time I had eight complete letters in my packet.

Fast-forward to application time. One of the first secondaries I submitted was to Oakland University William Beaumont School of Medicine. After two weeks of still being "incomplete" after submitting my payment, I emailed their office to ask why my application was not yet complete.

I received an email response saying that I did not have enough letters of recommendation, as a "committee" letter only counts as "two", because they assume it's an excerpt, not full letters. I explained that the letter contained full letters, and invited her to look at it to affirm this. She tried to tell me that I was mistaken, and the letter was a compilation of excerpts, and that I needed another full length letter to meet their requirement of having "three" LORs.

I proceeded to email this entire exchange to my college's pre-health office, and my pre-health adviser who wrote the committee letter (containing the eight full letters) personally called their office to explain that the letter was comprised of eight full letters.

Even the head of our pre-health committee could not get this message across to the very stubborn admissions staff member, so in the end, I had to duplicate and submit the full text of one of those eight LORs as a separate individual letter, plus my compilation letter, to be considered to have "three".

All together, nine letters of recommendation. Slow clap, Oakland, slow clap.

Not too long after, they offered me an II. It was by far the easiest II to turn down, ever. :smuggrin:

lol Metaphase. Get used to that kind of thing in the future. Happened soooo many times to me. I'm totally fine with incompetence with that kind of stuff. The reason I hate GT is because it wasn't incompetence, but a full on we are better than you and you are just a number to us attitude.

Stay strong, Jalby. :cool:

Thanks. Sometimes it is hard for me to carry on my grudge, but knowing there are people like you out there depending on me as a role model keeps me going on.

Reactions: 5 users
OK, so Jalby:

-Realizes he cannot do interview in required time slot
-Takes weeks to even call office
-Ignores explicit instructions given by said office
-Is surprised when he is rejected for...wait for it...not following instructions
-???
-Revered as hero on SDN

What am I missing?

I'm a little bit pissed right now. I hate Georgetown. I'm nominating them for the worst admissions committee in the nation.

I got the invite for an interview a month ago and it told me I had to schedual by october 1st and interview by the 28th. We'll I teach a class in California every monday, wednesday and friday and there is no way that I could have flown out to washington DC and back in time to interview and make my class. I called them up Sept 25th and told them this, and I would have to interview in december. They told me I had to write a letter to the dean and explain my problem and he might consider letting me have an extension. I think this is bull****, but I'll do it later in the month.
Today I find out that my friday, oct 28th, class is cancelled. I try calling up Georgetown to see if I can get an interview then. The tell me that since I never wrote a letter to the dean, there is no way they will ever let me interview. I'm thinking this is complete BS. By the time I can finish the letter and the dean reviews it and all the other stuff there is no way I will be able to get a flight to Washington DC. But then they tell me that not only can't I interview in October, but because they didn't recieve the letter by Oct 1st, I was automatically rejected. So now I probably never will be able to interview at Georgetown because of their F***d up admission policies. I'm not normally a vengful person, but if I remember this next June or so I'm going to try and encourage people (at least on the west coast) not even to waste the 150$ to apply to GT.

Thanks for reading my post. I feel a little bit better now.

OK, so Jalby:

-Is surprised when he is rejected for...wait for it...not following instructions
-???
-Revered as hero on SDN

What am I missing?

This guy :naughty:

:lame:

:corny:

OK, so Jalby:

-???
-Revered as hero on SDN

What am I missing?

I don't think he's revered as a hero (though I could be wrong), I just think this thread is extremely amusing, and the fact that it's survived for this long is pretty impressive.

OK, so Jalby:

-???
-Revered as hero on SDN

What am I missing?

Yes

OK, so Jalby:

-???
-Revered as hero on SDN

What am I missing?

he's jalby

Yes. Checked to see if I could trade my classes or find some way to book a flight out there, but couldn't.

Got the interview offer 9/18/2001.
see the date Georgetown offers below
Called 7 days later.

Explicit instructions was schedule interview by October first and interview by October 28th. I called them Sept 25th to explain my situation (6-7 days after I received the invite) I would not say I ignored the explicit instructions. They told me to write a letter stating my problem. They gave me no deadline to write that letter. It is only when I called them on October 8th that they said that since they didn't receive my letter by the first I was rejected.

Yes. I paid $150 for a secondary fee and deserve to be treated than more than a number. I have interviewed at 15 medical schools, 15 residencies, 13 fellowships. I have never had a single problem rescheduling an interview or anything like that and I have never heard of anybody else having that kind of problem. I've had accommodation made for 1. Flight being cancelled and me getting stuck in a different city. 2. Hurricane coming and interviewing a day before. 3. Getting an interview three weeks early because I happened to be in town for a different interview.

-???
???

-Revered as hero on SDN
I was kind of a big deal on SDN before that. I got up to the 5th highest posts for a while.

What am I missing?
1. Georgetown treated me like I was just a number and told me that they were such a great medical school that they really don't have to care if they treat applicants like ****.
2. I cussed out the dean of admission for treating me that way.
3. I happened to log onto SDN 3 days after someone else randomly bumped this thread up after being dead for 4 years.
4. Georgetown has completely changed the way it treats its applicants because of this thread (even though the admissions department is still run by the same people)
5. This thread would be starting the 6th grade right now if it was human.

Reactions: 4 users
I did get 9 mentions from people as the Top 5 SDNers

and 6 mentions in top three people you would like to meet

GJ0YD7q.gif

5. This thread would be starting the 6th grade right now if it was human.
this made me feel young... ish

OK, so Jalby:

-???
-Revered as hero on SDN

What am I missing?

If you are going to take a shot at me please disclose all conflicts of interests that you might have (i.e. personal ties that you might have to Georgetown Medical School)

Jalby, what do you do now? Are you an attending physician?

Jalby, what do you do now? Are you an attending physician?

135 more days until I am an attending. It's been waaayyyyy to long.

I really like this thread. Haters gonna hate (you included!) :). And congrats on becoming an attending (almost) Jalby!

What would it take for you to accept a job offer from Georgetown?

If I didn't already have a sweet job, not much. I like Washington DC and Georgetown the hospital. I just hate the admissions department.

If I didn't already have a sweet job, not much. I like Washington DC and Georgetown the hospital. I just hate the admissions department.

must be nice to be able to look back at this thread now that you're almost an attending. Good bit of nostalgia lol

Status
Not open for further replies.