Would you eat a poop hot dog to gain admission to your first choice school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Would you eat a poop hot dog to get into your first choice school?

• Yes

Votes: 2,011 63.3%
  • No

Votes: 1,168 36.7%

• Total voters
How did this thread get to 26 pages?!

But in all seriousness, yes. Yes, I would.

One week of diarrhea and lifelong shame vs. bragging rights

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
takeru_kobayashi_2006_07_04.jpg

One hot dog is nothing. I'd give Takeru Kobayashi and Joey Chestnut a run for their money.

SEE ME June 1st... At the first annual....

AMCAS POOP-DOG EATING CONTEST (APDEC)™

You need Jesus

Reactions: 7 users
I'd do it for my 10th choice and wouldn't even think twice, so obviously for my first choice it is an easy answer.

I'm so happy this thread is still going XD

Reactions: 1 user
I wonder how many ppl on the wait list are still considering this....

Harvard interviewer: So what are your greatest strengths?

Me: I ate a poop hotdog before the interview today

Harvard Interviewer: Welcome to HMS

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 17 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Dude I'm accepted and would still do it.

Here's a better question to you: Would you eat a dozen poop hotdogs for a guaranteed match in the competitive specialty of your choice at the program of your choice?
Yes you must eat them all in 1 sitting.

Last edited:
Here's a better question to you: Would you eat a dozen poop hotdogs for a guaranteed match in the competitive specialty of your choice at the program of your choice?

Does it still count if I vomit

Because college isn't already a big poop hotdog?

Where do you think the term brownnoser comes from?

Last edited:

Do I have to finish the buns too?

No it's not. I didn't get into my first choice. My first choice would make my life soooooo much less stressful right now.
What was your top choice and where are you going? Also, where do you live and what's your SSN?

Reactions: 3 users
I'd do it. 5 minutes of suffering vs. 4 years at your favorite place.

Easy
Damn... 5 minutes to eat a poop hot dog? Id scarf that sucker down in about a minute and be done with it. LOOOOOL

Reactions: 2 users
What about 1 poop hot dog per 1 credit of A for GPA redemption? You'd have some people with such low GPAs and so many credits that they'd need to eat ridiculous amounts to get a competitive GPA. Like 1 year of bad grades = 1 basket of hot dogs, 2 years = a bathtub full, 3 years = a pickup bed full, 4 years = a swimming pool full. They'd probably start crying from the diminishing returns, seeing their GPA move less and less with each subsequent hot dog. That could be a true test of willpower needed to succeed in med school.

As a side note: I think I've just come up with a good metaphor for the strife of the GPA-redemption student.

What about 1 poop hot dog per 1 credit of A for GPA redemption? You'd have some people with such low GPAs and so many credits that they'd need to eat ridiculous amounts to get a competitive GPA. Like 1 year of bad grades = 1 basket of hot dogs, 2 years = a bathtub full, 3 years = a pickup bed full, 4 years = a swimming pool full. They'd probably start crying from the diminishing returns, seeing their GPA move less and less with each subsequent hot dog. That could be a true test of willpower needed to succeed in med school.

As a side note: I think I've just come up with a good metaphor for the strife of the GPA-redemption student.
As a GPA redeemer myself, sadly, I have to say that this is spot on

As a GPA redeemer myself, sadly, I have to say that this is spot on
I know about that climb very well from personal experience, having had >240 undergrad credits and >30 SMP grad credits. At times, the hot dog option sounds appealing.

I can't believe this is the HMS admissions page rn
hms.JPG

Reactions: 13 users
I'd do a whole lot worse things than eat a poop hot dog.

In fact, I'd eat a poop hot dog every single day until I was done with school if that was the requirement to get into my top choice.

People are way more willing to "do the dog" than they were several years ago it feels like.
I think it's a good metaphor for younger millennials being more competitive but simultaneously less proud of success through hard work and more apt to take shortcuts. Success without pride or dignity is still success in their eyes.

I think it's a good metaphor for younger millennials being more competitive but simultaneously less proud of success through hard work and more apt to take shortcuts. Success without pride or dignity is still success in their eyes.
Success without pride is still preferable to no success at all. And increasingly in our society, that's the choice that many must make.

Blame the system, not the ambition of youth.

Success without pride is still preferable to no success at all. And increasingly in our society, that's the choice that many must make.

Blame the system, not the ambition of youth.
You forgot dignity. I'm saying they're often willing to give both up, should have used an and qualifier. It's base, blind ambition, and it's rooted in an overly inflated sense of self-importance that would be shattered without having something tangible to show for it. Prior generations would say that dignity is of primary importance and that one should have pride in hard work and a job well done, and that they'd rather live a middle class life than give those things up. But millennials all just want to be doctors, celebrities, and business elite, they want the image they were sold on TV that was bull**** for 98% of America, and they'll do whatever they have to do to get it even though many have never lived in that sphere and they don't even have the faintest idea what, exactly, it is that they're getting themselves into.

Ego is the defining trait of the millennial, and their lives are often shaped by the fragility thereof. Maybe I'll write a book about it someday, it's actually a fascinating departure from the past few centuries values-wise.

• Okay...
I'd do a whole lot worse things than eat a poop hot dog.

In fact, I'd eat a poop hot dog every single day until I was done with school if that was the requirement to get into my top choice.

Sheeeeeeshhh..... that's uhhhh... that's some commitment. I'd eat 1, but 365x4 is a lot of poop. I'd basically be all poop when I got my MD.

You forgot dignity. I'm saying they're often willing to give both up, should have used an and qualifier. It's base, blind ambition, and it's rooted in an overly inflated sense of self-importance that would be shattered without having something tangible to show for it. Prior generations would say that dignity is of primary importance and that one should have pride in hard work and a job well done, and that they'd rather live a middle class life than give those things up. But millennials all just want to be doctors, celebrities, and business elite, they want the image they were sold on TV that was bull**** for 98% of America, and they'll do whatever they have to do to get it even though many have never lived in that sphere and they don't even have the faintest idea what, exactly, it is that they're getting themselves into.

Ego is the defining trait of the millennial, and their lives are often shaped by the fragility thereof. Maybe I'll write a book about it someday, it's actually a fascinating departure from the past few centuries values-wise.

I think this generalizes too much. There are plenty of people in that age group with an overabundance of pride and place a hefty value on dignity. So much so, that it keeps them from doing the things that bring others success. & many of us are too busy trying to keep afloat financially to care about gaining some celebrity lifestyle.

Dignity and pride are important, but so is getting the chance to gain influence, financial security, and be able to make a significant difference. For many of us, the opportunity to even get into the places we can only dream of being invited (e.g. Harvard, Yale, etc.) is not one based on ego. This might be more of an issue of "do the means justify the ends?" than one of entitlement.

"What's a high number"
Millennial: uh duhhhh 10 can I have a participation trophy now
Wise 37 year old: [smiling serenely] 1 million

I think this generalizes too much. There are plenty of people in that age group with an overabundance of pride and place a hefty value on dignity. So much so, that it keeps them from doing the things that bring others success. & many of us are too busy trying to keep afloat financially to care about gaining some celebrity lifestyle.

Dignity and pride are important, but so is getting the chance to gain influence, financial security, and be able to make a significant difference. For many of us, the opportunity to even get into the places we can only dream of being invited (e.g. Harvard, Yale, etc.) is not one based on ego. This might be more of an issue of "do the means justify the ends?" than one of entitlement.
And then there's those of us that would say, "if Harvard wants me to eat a poop hotdog to attend because they don't believe my application holds its own weight then they can go **** themselves." Like, I'd literally say that to their face, I can't imagine any other logical response to such an offer. Human dignity is the most basic of human values, and essentially what human rights are built around; that anyone would sacrifice that for what amounts to a job is sickening on a deep moral level. I mean, I hate to get all serious about this joke of a thread, but it reflects a very bizarre new amoral compass that I fear will be the driving force of the elite in my lifetime, since I'm not much older than you.

And then there's those of us that would say, "if Harvard wants me to eat a poop hotdog to attend because they don't believe my application holds its own weight then they can go **** themselves." Like, I'd literally say that to their face, I can't imagine any other logical response to such an offer. Human dignity is the most basic of human values, and essentially what human rights are built around; that anyone would sacrifice that for what amounts to a job is sickening on a deep moral level. I mean, I hate to get all serious about this joke of a thread, but it reflects a very bizarre new amoral compass that I fear will be the driving force of the elite in my lifetime, since I'm not much older than you.

Honestly, I was just discussing this question with a close friend (because I was fascinated that this thread existed :eek:) and I said the same thing. However, I am one of those very prideful people and I come from a long line of prideful women sooooo yeah. I would love to attend an ivy, but I would be extremely put off by any institution that would reduce it's applicants to something like this. It's poop. That's disgusting.

That being said, I can understand how someone could rationalize the choice and that's all I was trying to say. Some aren't in a position (or don't feel they are) to put dignity before opportunity. It's a harsh reality, but I have faced it and chosen dignity only to resent my prideful nature much later. Also, hard work does not always work out for a ton of people due to gender, class, race, culture, etc. so seeing an easy carrot that could change your life if only you set aside your dignity or pride might be worthy idea (after you run a cost-benefit analysis).

TLDR: I am super bootstrappy and Midwestern so I understand your points, but was offering another perspective.

• Love
Like I agree with what you're saying here but...surely older generations suffer from the same proclivity? Like the middle aged employee who gets verbally abused by his/her boss and takes it b/c...well they want their job? Or President Trump, who has to play subservient little b***h (I had to censor that manually @WedgeDawg plz fix and give me participation trophy for noticing a minor error thanks ;)) to his creditors because otherwise he'd be bankrupted?

Like I agree with what you're saying here but...surely older generations suffer from the same proclivity? Like the middle aged employee who gets verbally abused by his/her boss and takes it b/c...well they want their job? Or President Trump, who has to play subservient little b***h (I had to censor that manually @WedgeDawg plx fix) to his creditors because otherwise he'd be bankrupted?

Yeah, I think we all have to take some L's in life and eating a poop hot dog might be one that many of us are willing to endure. That fact is not just limited to a specific generation.

Like I agree with what you're saying here but...surely older generations suffer from the same proclivity? Like the middle aged employee who gets verbally abused by his/her boss and takes it b/c...well they want their job? Or President Trump, who has to play subservient little b***h (I had to censor that manually @WedgeDawg plz fix and give me participation trophy for noticing a minor error thanks ;)) to his creditors because otherwise he'd be bankrupted?
This is different. This is eating literal **** for no reason.

This is different. This is eating literal **** for no reason.
It's a hypothetical. No one is actually eating anything. I highly doubt 62% (the current response rate) of all medical applicants would actually eat a **** sandwich for Harvard. I highly doubt the true percentage would be significantly different from a group of older-generation aspirants for similarly desirable things.

Reactions: 1 users